Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
3:06 driver gets into dark car slightly, hardly any movement

76mph is not a slight hit and the car hardly moved even though it was hit as it was turning right and the player hit it right on it's rear bumper which should have sent it sideways or even into a spin. Also the white evo never body slammed the player as his speed doesn't change which imo would have shown as a hard contact. And finally the silver GT-R didn't move, the player did, he moved further inside that his left side was on the grass/dirt. I downloaded the file from that site and have looked at in double size and it's clear to see these instances.

The AI has improved but you're giving them too much credit in some cases.

Another thing to remember, folks, is that even the smartest AI in the world can't stop you from hitting them. Their inability to get out of the way of a human driver who wants to play bumper cars is not indicative of the program's intelligence.

Even if they change nothing else, at least making the AI drivers aware of the other cars around them is a HUGE improvement. And from what I've seen, we're finally getting it.

did anyone notice the tire smoke? looks alot more realistic when the car spins towards the end it leaves a little cloud of smoke.

and im not sure but i don't think all cars have the in car view, watch the player switch the views at the end it never goes to the inside view.

Ive noticed that i havent been able to see into the GT-R in any of these videos. The windows are always blacked out on this car. I guess since its a concept car the interior was never finalized by Nissan and they didnt want to show a hideous partailly finished interior.

Even more evidence that makes it quite clear GT5:P will be a PSN download this year

Paragraph from Gamespot.com Article

Next he talked about the PlayStation Network, and said that there would be a "strong line-up" between now and Christmas, including Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, which will be coming to SCEE territories before the end of the year.

SCEE = Sony computer entertainment europe? how hard is it to purchase things from the euro store if you are from the united states?

Think of GT as a character. It has character flaws that make it different. Special. Unique. That's what makes it Gran Turismo. Take away these flaws and add what people in this thread want and you got a Forza clone. I don't want that.

Poor AI is not an endearing character flaw in GT4, it is a serious weakness - an area where Forza clearly improved on the GT series. An AI that just consistently follows the racing line regardless of what's going on around it, makes for predictable, boring racing. Furthermore, realistic collision physics make for exciting, tense racing where careful choices have to be made about where to attempt a pass. However, in order to make all this work well, the AI needs to be quite sophisticated & well balanced in the decisions it makes. All this is a lot to ask of an AI system - Forza has done a reasonably good job, but it could be much improved on.

there is hardly any side by side racing and passing in real life. The risk of a collision is too great.

Realistic AI would get into single file after the first 2 turns and then run single file parade laps for the rest of the race with maybe 2-3 passes.

This is true IRL, because in IRL a miscalculation can be catastrophic. However, in a game you can have a realistic AI & still take risks yourself, because there is always the restart button! :)

Bugger. Vid is old - already on PSN
Nice shots though.

p18a.jpg

That was really awesome. This is why I need a PS3(This and Tekken of Course). And now Fuji is included, This just keep getting better and better.

Edit: People please stop making comparisons of GT to Forza. Its starting to get just as redundent and useless as the PS3 vs. 360 comparisons.

...proving once again that amar212 is GTPlanet's favorite Croatian. Thanks for the info, mate! I'm digging the new updates.

Replay
I think the replays are at a slow pace probably for dramatic purposes. I look at my replays from GTHD and notice how if I look closely, it seems like I'm watching a show on TV. Like "Top Gear" or something. It seems like an okay speed for replays. I'm not seriously bothered by slow replay speed.

Damage
Here's something I was typing to someone in an IM message on AOL when asked about damage:

"Is damage necessary? No. I still say good games can still be good even without damage. I'm just not crazy about crashing up cars like most media types and hardasses. I do, however, welcome damage only as long as it doesn't seem too easy to be sidelined with huge damage." -me in an IM to someone

The thing people been talking all about in GT4 was online play. When online play wasn't implemented, what happened? People turned into werewolves and threatened to strike at PD's headquarters in Tokyo. The thing I fear is that this becomes a deal breaker to bigtime critics and gaming media types. I just hope this isn't the next issue people get excited about all to find out then feel broken-hearted if it isn't included.

AI
There goes that "screw AI because we have online" argument (post #1,082)... I still haven't seen the video. I may get a chance when I start school again this Monday. I liked that notion of possibly pressuring leading drivers. I can remember only "R: Racing Evolution" or even NASCAR 07(?) where you could Intimidate any opponent leading you. It's still just a Prologue deal. How do you know if this is going to be the AI the retail product will have? This is at least our first look at pack racing in this next-gen GT. I still say that online play has, and always would/should be secondary. Don't make it sound like PD should intentionally mess up the AI so that you're required to go online. Thanks to RedOak in post 1,086 for mentioning one of the faults of online gaming (not saying it's bad)- you may want to find good gamers... and end up racing some jackasses. So don't automatically assume that jackass real-life racers are any better than jackass AI gamers. Don't get a Texas boy started.

I'll still reserve my full judgment until I actually see the trailer in its entirety.

well now we know that fuji speedway will be in the game. if i am not mistaken that leaves us just one track left to see.

GT5:P is looking SA-WEET! The only way I'd be more impressed is if they actually release it by the end of the year (which seems a 50/50 proposition at this rate).

well now we know that fuji speedway will be in the game. if i am not mistaken that leaves us just one track left to see.

Please be the old Spa track!!

That was my favorite track in the old Grand Prix Legends game.

Does anyone actually know if photomode has been confirmed or not? What I mean by this is, has Polyphony Digital released any information saying that, yes photomode will definitly be in GT5?

I'm just in awe right now. The AI IMO looks much improved, the way the car reacts to the environment looks great so far, and the graphics are indescribable. After watchin the "Type C" video, I just hope that those sounds are the true in game sounds.....if they are, then I'm completely sold, and its going to be a loooong 2 or so months time. Thanks to everyone finding all the info. Now, I'm off to watch and drool...

Does anyone actually know if photomode has been confirmed or not? What I mean by this is, has Polyphony Digital released any information saying that, yes photomode will definitly be in GT5?
Not from what I've read. They seem to show it in the A and C trailers, but I haven't read anything about it at this point.

I think Fuji, if it's included for sure, will be one of the best tracks to judge the AI on. It's a much wider and faster track, with many places to pass opponents. Only time will tell tho...

It looks like static behind the car cam is back, goto gamevideos.com look at recent uploads and look for 'GT5 Prologue GC '07 Racing Gameplay'. Got to admit though nice sounds even if it's is a Daihatsu, the Mercedes is what I'm waiting for though!

76mph is not a slight hit and the car hardly moved even though it was hit as it was turning right and the player hit it right on it's rear bumper which should have sent it sideways or even into a spin.

Couple of things here, first off its far more likely we are looking at kmh here rather than mph (given its a German games show the only country in Europe to use MPH is the UK), secondly knowing the speed of one car is only half the story. To know the actual impact speed we need to know the speed of the other car as well, if its doing a similar speed then actual contact speed could well be minimal.

The results of collisions are very, very difficult to just predict, I've seen plenty of contact like you have described occur in the BTCC and both cars remain fine. Too many factors involved here to say what should or shouldn't have happened.

Overall it currently looks a lot better than previous incarnations, but only an actual go will let us know.

The physics and AI in GT isn't like Forza in the sense that Forza has both these things. It's got REAL physics and decent AI - this is something GT SHOULD have so long as it calls itself a console SIM.

By the way, i'm looking for a part-time job myself. How much does Sony pay to market their games online?

Please tell me you are refereing to FM2, bacause the AI in FM1 was as poor in its own ways as GT4's and the physics engine was horrible (and had certainly never come across the concept of understeer).

What I must confess to finding a bit funny is that you then say you want a job marketing Sony games. Does the concept of marketing escape you? A quick hint, verbally attacking a companies products is not the best way to ask for a marketing job (nor is this the right place to ask anyway).

Regards

Scaff

Uhh Scaff 76mph is the converted from Km/h speed and if you watch the video and see the angle and where the player hit the Evo X at you would know why I am saying the collision physics still need major work. However if the demo being shown is only 40% complete then obviously there's hope that it's been improved upon and will be better in the final Prologue release.

Uhh Scaff 76mph is the converted from Km/h speed and if you watch the video and see the angle and where the player hit the Evo X at you would know why I am saying the collision physics still need major work. However if the demo being shown is only 40% complete then obviously there's hope that it's been improved upon and will be better in the final Prologue release.

My apologies on the KMH to MPH thing, however that doesn't change my point about a single vehicles speed being only half the story, if your doing 76mph and clip a car that's doing 74 MPH you haven't hit them at 76 MPH, rather closer to 2 MPH.

I also stand by my point (having watched the video many, many times) that the in-car view alone does not give enough info to categorical state what he outcome of these contacts should be. For example you state that the impact at 3:06 should have cause the grey car to come off, well if we are talking about the same contact (and my 3:06 is remaining time from the youtube vid) that looked a lot more to me like two cars at approx the same speed and yaw angle, contact was minimal as was closing speed.

The only collision in that video that I would state would result in an off for both cars occurs at around 1:23 (remaining time) when the white EVO X is starting to apex and the player hits the front of it with minimal braking. The collision speed is clearly great in this one, and guess what, both cars end up off the track.

However this one video alone is not enough to state that the collision physics are still in need of major work, either multiple views of the same incident or hands-on would be required for that. All I would persoanally say from this video is that both collision and handling physics appear to be much better than in GT4.

Regards

Scaff

I got the impression from the initial in-car footage video (posted yesterday) that the people driving were almost certainly novice players using a DFP or another type of wheel... The reason I say that is because bumping into other cars is (for me, anyway) a much riskier business with a DFP than with a controller, and I often ended up binning it much like was seen in that video when using a wheel. Don't get me wrong, I love the new view and the game promises to be great, however it did look suspiciously similar in handling to GT4 to me, too...

I got the impression from the initial in-car footage video (posted yesterday) that the people driving were almost certainly novice players using a DFP or another type of wheel... The reason I say that is because bumping into other cars is (for me, anyway) a much riskier business with a DFP than with a controller, and I often ended up binning it much like was seen in that video when using a wheel. Don't get me wrong, I love the new view and the game promises to be great, however it did look suspiciously similar in handling to GT4 to me, too...

If you play GTHD for a good deal of time and then switch back to GT4 you will instantly notice a difference, for me the GTHD physics have improved although you may not notice it at first. So I would imagine that it will be the same case here. You will just have to play for a while and decide for yourself, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

It is hard to see the difference from the perspective of a video, so it looks like we will have to wait till november before we can really decide. I have my fingers crossed.

SCEE = Sony computer entertainment europe? how hard is it to purchase things from the euro store if you are from the united states?
From what I hear it is easy. However it may be available in the US, but this was a gaming show in Europe, so just as E3 talks about games in the US this mentions games in Europe. They talked about prologue at E3, so not releasing it in the US at this point will lead to quite an upset.

It would be awesome if they built this up the way Nintendo has done Metroid Prime 3. Give us preview videos over time and then just before Prologue comes out put GT1 or GT2 up for download.

EDIT:
The Official GT Website just got updated, now with an English section.
It's like they read my post complaining that they needed this yesterday.

Please be the old Spa track!!

That was my favorite track in the old Grand Prix Legends game.

I am 99% sure:

IT WILL BE MONZA

Why ? Because they introduced Ferrari and theyll give them a "Home"..

Well see..💡

however it did look suspiciously similar in handling to GT4 to me, too...

Well load transfer certainly seems to be much better implemented now, from what can be seen in regard to dive under braking and the lateral roll of the cars under corners. However while that is potentially a plus point it remains to be seen (or rather driven) to determine how that relates to the handling.

Regards

Scaff

So far I'm really happy with something; from what I can see on the screenshots, some of the things people wanted are sure to be in the game:

Drivers have different suits and helmets, according to the cars they're driving, nice to see because we can see to the inside, and there's a cockpit view (whether they're customizable or not remains to be seen).

audisuitp16asc7.jpg

Audi suit

tvrsuitp14afs4.jpg

TVR suit.

Also, as seen on this shot, carbon fiber looks exactly as it should - damn nice. :)
p19aiv9.jpg

Latest Posts

Back