Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
Something was bugging me from the In-cockpit view [videos] and i finally nailed what it is... its the Hands Placement. They are in "10-2"... Usually race drivers are thought and use the "9-3" position for racing... and rarely if ever do the "cross over" that civilians are thought in driving-school...

Anyone else noticed?
Does this bug anyone else?

Not really... but it does raise a few interesting idea... maybe the next generation of steering wheels could be made touch-sensitive such that what you see on the screen is an accurate reflection of what you are actually doing 💡
That will surely happen sometime...

Does anyone actually know if photomode has been confirmed or not? What I mean by this is, has Polyphony Digital released any information saying that, yes photomode will definitly be in GT5?
They haven't made any noises that PM is not in Prologue and with the way they use video releases to give us details, I'd place my bet on it being there.

As the first and latest videos attest, it looks as if PM has a new video mode, with moving cars and panning cameras. Set your car's starting and ending points, make the camera track, and let'er rip! Looks good.

Cheers,

MasterGT

It looks like static behind the car cam is back, goto gamevideos.com look at recent uploads and look for 'GT5 Prologue GC '07 Racing Gameplay'. Got to admit though nice sounds even if it's is a Daihatsu, the Mercedes is what I'm waiting for though!

Nice find....finally a video with some decent car sounds......unfortunately I need to hear something like a Ferrari or a Viper to see if the game sounds have truly improved. Although, it's looking good so far!

Something was bugging me from the In-cockpit view [videos] and i finally nailed what it is... its the Hands Placement. They are in "10-2"... Usually race drivers are thought and use the "9-3" position for racing... and rarely if ever do the "cross over" that civilians are thought in driving-school...

Anyone else noticed?
The 10-2 and 9-3 positions are both taught at racing and driving schools, most consider either to be perfectly valid and with some steering wheels one can be more comfortable to use than the other.

In regard to the crossing of hands its interesting that most of the cars in the videos so far would have stock steering racks in them, which would require either a shuffle of the hands or crossing over (BTW try that in the UK in a lesson or your test and you will not get far - prettly much an instant fail in the UK test). However cars with a more race steering rack would be closer to 200 degrees of movement so even the slowest of hairpins would not need a shuffle or cross over.

Its the rack fitted that stops racing drivers having to do it, race in a 'stock' car and you have to do something.

Regards

Scaff

About the type C vid: The sound isn't too bad. Just listen at the start of the action part and hear the Audi speed by. That's just an amazing sound. I hope it's like that in-game.

I have to admit, i'm a bit disapointed after watching these GT5:P in-cokpit view videos. i can't feel the head of the driver moving, the cam doesn't give us the feeling of shocks and bump. When the driver drive into another car, i would hope the cam should shake and the view angle should change a little... Sorry for my poor english, i don't know if you understood what i meant ?

From what I hear it is easy. However it may be available in the US, but this was a gaming show in Europe, so just as E3 talks about games in the US this mentions games in Europe. They talked about prologue at E3, so not releasing it in the US at this point will lead to quite an upset.

It's easy to get if it's a free download, but if it costs something (which it probably will) then you will need a region specific credit card (eg English in europe, US in American store)

It's easy to get if it's a free download, but if it costs something (which it probably will) then you will need a region specific credit card (eg English in europe, US in American store)
Really, has anyone ever said you can't have one of their credit cards?

And I have heard that there may be ways around that. I would have to research though.

Not always, I have used my Mastercard with my US account on the US store, so it is possible to do. You are right that not all cards work in the 'wrong' region, but some certainly do.

Regards

Scaff

Post #1140
So far I'm really happy with something; from what I can see on the screenshots, some of the things people wanted are sure to be in the game:

Drivers have different suits and helmets, according to the cars they're driving, nice to see because we can see to the inside, and there's a cockpit view (whether they're customizable or not remains to be seen).

How come it's the same guy in all the racing teams - that's very unrealistic! :grumpy:

Just kidding...

I'm thinking with in-car views, this reminds me of GTR. I can't get a very good view of the road at times in GTR. So what you do is that you move the seat up forward or backward so you get a better view of the road when behind the wheel. Maybe PD can offer this in case the view seems pretty bad. I hope this becomes a feature for GT5, especially for cars that seem to offer a rough view of the road.

As far as driver movement goes in GT5: Prologue, it would be interesting to actually sense the driver experience higher speeds. Think of Le Mans or F1 cars. You have to be in pretty good shape to handle the G-forces as well as the bumps in the road at speed. You wouldn't have a static and perfect view of the road. And take it from a guy who used to do some go-kart racing at an indoor facility- it can be pretty hard trying to go at speed if your body can't really take the bumps and such of the racing surface. You are going to feel it. Perhaps the drivers you pilot will feel the impacts of speed very much so. You make an interesting point, fafat. We'll see if this gets rectified in any sort of way.

I still haven't seen the videos yet. So until I get to see it, I won't comment about too much more until I actually see the videos. As an off-topic note, I like both Spa-Francorchamps and Monza. I don't know the old Spa-Francorchamps too much to say I'd want to see it in GT5. I'll stop right here because I'm not trying to make a wish list.

I think the in car view should be follow what was done in games like Battle Gear 3. Check out the incar views for this game on youtube videos. The incar views focus on the dash looks of each car. Not really necessary to show the wheel and driver's hand steering. It distracts the view of the dash and you can't see the gauges. I would like GT5 to focus on just have a dash view rather than an in car view.

i think the AI vs. AI has been improved. it looks like they focused on making the AI recognize the other AI drivers and we're left as a ghost that no one sees. terrible physics too.

the AI looks very promising. looking foward too seeing just how tough thay are, lol.

Also, yellow with white stripes viper.

I noticed something interesting in the new screenshots (which are all amazingly beautiful by the way). In post 756, ALPHA noticed that Suzuka was still an old build, as it was missing the VIP Terrace.
One thing that I’ve noticed from the screens of Suzuka is that whilst it’s been updated from GT4, it hasn’t been updated with current developments.

Note the lack of the VIP terrace.

4qqtyqv.jpg
But in this screen...
p21a.jpg

you can clearly see the VIP Terrace on one of the TV screens on the wall. This almost certainly means that Suzuka has been updated. This game is looking fantastic, and I do think from looking at the new videos that the AI and physics have definitely improved. Can't wait for the release.

EDIT: After watching the new gamersyde videos, I noticed that the VIP Terrace is still missing. Interesting...could PD have a new build of the track that looks way better than the one being currently shown? It seems like something that would be good to keep under wraps and then surprise people with....I guess we'll see....

Does anyone actually know if photomode has been confirmed or not? What I mean by this is, has Polyphony Digital released any information saying that, yes photomode will definitly be in GT5?

Are the screenshots of the SL55 AMG and F430 not enough proof?

Just saw the vid, mine doesn't have sound. Which vid are you guys referring to, which has sound?

The one I saw is the 160+MB avi file in high-res.

Anyway, I saw some very good stuff, but also some things that left me somewhat disapointed.

Good: Generally, it looks as I imagined it, light is very realistic, cars appear very good indeed, light effects in the car's interior seem pretty cool, except being very jagged.
Inside view seems pretty good too. For those aiming at having trepidation on the driver's head driving a sedan on Suzuka, as if it would be a Group C at La Sarthe, will never happen. There's some wobbling (sadly not when collided), some twisting, and seems good so far.

Not so good: Driver's hands when turning the wheel. Either it's just bad programming, or maybe the guy who was driving for that vid (apparently he also doesn't know Suzuka that well or he wouldn't do some stupid things he does) is just too slow spinning his wheel, or just wasn't pressing left button hard enough.
Dude driving clearly sucks, yet manages to recover from major screw-ups in only a few secs, didn't seem that competitive...
Dust kicked by the cars when going off the tarmac - GT4 was better in this, it looks to me. The dust seems very un-natural, as if it was a balloon inflating. :rolleyes:
Mirrors have very poor reflections, and no car is reflected (of course, this shouldn't happen anymore when it comes out in a couple of months).
Also, Cars reflect scenery fairly well, but (that I've spotted) not each other, which sucks if it's true.
Also, sceneries seem much the same as they were in GT4, namely flat 'structures', cardboard people...

To be seen: AI seems better, but is it really?
Just because they're not all doing the choo-choo train on a single line, doesn't mean they drive better or are smarter in any way. In fact, some of the attacks done 'trying to overtake' are just pointless and nothing but that. Aggressivness without objectivity is not better AI, in fact it just causes more accidents and nothing else.
But this is not the final Prologue, much less GT5, and even if it was, only after playing the game could I or anyone else be sure of anything about the AI.

Yes and also pathetic maximum steering angle of 3 degrees.

Did you really watch any of the videos?

Good video showing hand over hand movement. Unforunately, the dreaded tire sound is still present. Hope it's on PD's to fix list.
http://de.sevenload.com/videos/jyBsAKf-k31l/GT5-auf-der-PS3-1

Some Gameplay vids from Gamespot. Kudos to BADNED.
GT5P gameplay video 1

GT5P gameplay video 2

GT5P replay video 1

GT5P replay video 2

Lots of solid proof the physics are better than GT4's.

One thing that's great is the 60fps feeling of the video... it really looks fluid. Really fluid. Which is a great thing... however, that sort of brought another thing that bothers me...

All the cars are "stock"... now i know about the arguments and conversations we had about GT and the tune car/Ricer syndromes.. i'm not interested in starting a new conversation about this... however... well after playing a good few months of Forza2 (which to my opinion, IS a good race game) and i'm grown accustomed to seeing nice designed cars; with cool unique designs and full of sponsors... even in SP! So going back to plain stock-looking cars is kind of... well boring... Not sure if anyone else feels this way...

Great Observations and good post.

I like the "tense, 2-wide racing, not realistic boring racing."
Keeps racing fun.

I'm going to break this video down since it seems alot of people claim it shows retarded AI

4:11 white car doesn't use entire road and body slam you
4:07 grey car misses apex and runs wide
4:00 car goes into grass the driver loses control
3:30 driver bumps car infront, there is very noticeable movement in the back of the car he bumped
3:26 car on the inside does use the whole track and run you off the course like they do in GT4 at that very turn
3:13 white car hits brakes to avoid getting nosed chopped off by car in front
3:08 white car is given room
3:06 driver gets into dark car slightly, hardly any movement
3:03 on apex the dark car gives the driver room and does not try to use the whole track
2:40 contact with the wall spins the car a bit
2:31-2:20 yellow car does not use the entire track and leaves the driver room
1:59 the driver spooks the yellow car and the yellow car makes a mistake and goes off track. no contact is made
1:23 contact with white car spins the driver sideways
1:22 when the car hits the barrier it does not simply stop like GT4, but it bounces off the barriers and does a 360 degree spin
1:03 onwards. The AI gives eachother plenty of room as they race sideby side without swapping paint
:57 The silver car moves out the way to give you room, the best example of improved AI

He goes out in the grass again and spins quickly

If you ask me the only thing retarded in the video was the human driver

My final thoughts are this. PD created a very aggressive AI for GT5. Some mistake this for stupid AI

The guys at gamespot probably think they should be able to put their car in any situation and dive bomb anybody and the AI shouldn't make contact with them. In real life there would be contact. That's why there is hardly any side by side racing and passing in real life. The risk of a collision is too great.

Realistic AI would get into single file after the first 2 turns and then run single file parade laps for the rest of the race with maybe 2-3 passes. The reason why they dont try to pass and race double so much is because it would result in collisions and spins, like you see in GT5.

PD is shooting for tense, 2-wide racing, not realistic boring racing.

And I'm sticking to my guns, the trademark of GT is the possibility to trade paint and rub with other cars and not spin out. If you want to spin out realisticly go play a PC sim. And if you prefer Forza's collision physics go play Forza.

I just don't see why how easy it is to spin another car out is so important considering it was near impossible to spin another car out in the first 4 GT games. I'm not going to lose 1 second of sleep over it.

Think of GT as a character. It has character flaws that make it different. Special. Unique. That's what makes it Gran Turismo. Take away these flaws and add what people in this thread want and you got a Forza clone. I don't want that.

Back