Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
The sound in the game is absolutely outstanding, with F430 roaming @ 7000 rpm like it's in the room. Even I didn't had headphones, at first (bussiness only) day of show I've turned up the volume on the Bravia at 60 and it sounded just right - deep and hard with different effects depending on the view (bumper/cockpit/behind both front and behind). I would say that PD is doing very good job with engine sounds this time around.

Excellent to hear, and thanks for the observations! :)

Which video was that? I haven't seen all of them (there's too damn many.. hehe). I didn't think any of them had decent sound, because it's all recorded from the camera's mic, with crowd noise and everything.

NEEDZ... DIRECT-FEED!!

1. Gear changes are present in the current demo but their animation naturally depend on car you're driving - sequentional behind the wheel gearbox or standard one (the stick). Sticking to animations, the ones that considers hands of the driver are just incredible with materials streching and changing depending on the action you've taken (fast turning the wheel for 360 etc.). Lightning and shaders are doing their part of the story also.

Keep it real!

Well thats my question answred. cheers. nice lil writup BTW.

Few more things that catched my eye in this discussion. :)

1. "Professional mode" is, by the words of Kazunori Yamauchi himself, a mode that will simulate (new) physics (engine) of the car movement as accurate as it is possible with new hardware and is ment for players who want to experience real professional driving. (Thanks for quoting the source: GamePlay Magazine Croatia, www.gameplay.hr) Describing difference between normal and "pro" mode is not something I can do yet but in shortly - pro mode was definitelly more difficult (challenging at least) than the normal and felt like the real deal (I've tried driving VW Golf on N1 to pull some comparisations with real life experience). Result? Far more swinging, more leaning, more weight shifting, more everything. More "playing" in sandbox than in normal mode when going over the edge. :)

2. Stands with seats with Logitech G25 wheels on it, had three pedals (from left to right - clutch, brake and gas) but clutch pedal was out of function / non-functional. Options menu couldn't be entered so the clutch support in demo remains a mistery for now even thou Kazunori Yamauchi in our interview stated that he would like to implement clutch in new GT games very much. (Thanks for quoting the source: GamePlay Magazine Croatia, www.gameplay.hr)

3. G25 wheels had "rumble effect" on them but the force of Force Feedback seamed like on very low level. I personally guess that was for the safety reasons and/or easier manuverability of broader audience (public purposes).

4. Some cars (f.e. Nissan GTR Prototype) didn't have designed interior (cockpit) like the others but all cars will have it fully designed in final version of the game. Racing car Nissan Z350 MOTUL couldn't be selected for driving in demo. Depending on the cars (Japanesse/American/European/UK's) in-cockpit view puts the driver on the right or left side behind the wheel like in real life that gives whole new perception of the track when driving. Perspective of the track from cockpit view (personally my favourite in every game that gives that view option) in Gran Turismo 5: Prologue feels very good and natural. Unfortunatelly, movements of the driver under inertion forces (known as "G-force" also) that appears when braking/accelerating/taking turns wasn't noticable (maybe even fully non present) as I expected them to be in turning at high speeds, fast accelerating or hard breaking. Maybe it was because of the strongly secured driver's sitbelt?

5. Replay mode in GT5P demo is good as it ever been in GT series. "Triangle" button gives you on-push leveled zoom-in, "circle" turns off/on background music, "cross" changes car/stage view, SELECT changes car views (bumper/cockpit/windshield/3rd person) and "square" turns off/on dials/tachos. With directional buttons on D-pad you can change focus on "target car" and with (if I remember correctly) L1 you can look behind the car. There weren't any video-music synchro mode available in a demo, but the (in)famous transparent circle ring in the middle of the screen during replay was once again present. Why? I've never knew that.

6. When playing the demo in multiplayer, "game-pauses" (they definitelly weren't lags and I wouldn't called them frame-drops either) were noticable. Sometimes they've lasted for about 1 or 2 seconds and that wasn't nice experience. At least the car(s) stayed where you had him before the picture stop moving so you knew what to do when it continues. I guess that was happening when someone new joined the multiplayer game (respawned with car in pit line) and the time for "one session" driving in multiplayer was limited to few minutes (if I remember correctly - about 3 minutes or so - I must check my videos).

Keep it real, drive safe, live and let live!

thx for the info

I also noticed in at least the Audi R8 the driver is gripping the steering wheel with just his thumbs. Another bug that needs some fixing

Just something I noticed about the AI, they do not ram you from behind anymore. This is evident from the incar views and various replays I have seen. That means if you are slow exiting a corner, get a little sideways etc they will not simply ram you anymore but they will get on the brakes.

I also just watched the full 60 minute Sony Leipzig press conference and the speaker said GT5:P will feature 16 player online races and confirmed the game in European territories before the end of the year. But of course, any info not heard coming from Yamauchi's mouth shouldn't be accepted as fact

Just something I noticed about the AI, they do not ram you from behind anymore. This is evident from the incar views and various replays I have seen. That means if you are slow exiting a corner, get a little sideways etc they will not simply ram you anymore but they will get on the brakes.

They'll still run you off the road if you're next to them and they want to get back to their racing line. I noticed that during the video on Jeux-France. And Kaz himself was driving, and appeared to be getting frustrated by it (doing the same thing I do.. keep pushing at the other car until he finally realizes you're there). Which is a good thing, I suppose.. that means he'll be able to get them to keep working on it.. hehe. On the flip side, he was in the car's blind spot.. maybe they've tweaked the AI to respond only to what the "driver" can actually see? I'd have to watch the video again to see if it repeatedly bumped into him, I think it did. But I'm not about to sit here and let that damn video load for four hours before I can watch it. Jeux-France's streaming capabilities can kiss my... *ahem*. Why they don't offer a download is beyond me.

They'll still run you off the road if you're next to them and they want to get back to their racing line. I noticed that during the video on Jeux-France. And Kaz himself was driving, and appeared to be getting frustrated by it (doing the same thing I do.. keep pushing at the other car until he finally realizes you're there). Which is a good thing, I suppose.. that means he'll be able to get them to keep working on it.. hehe. On the flip side, he was in the car's blind spot.. maybe they've tweaked the AI to respond only to what the "driver" can actually see? I'd have to watch the video again to see if it repeatedly bumped into him, I think it did. But I'm not about to sit here and let that damn video load for four hours before I can watch it. Jeux-France's streaming capabilities can kiss my... *ahem*. Why they don't offer a download is beyond me.

As for the AI, I haven't seen that BOOM collision yet, where the AI absolutley kills you. I also haven't seen the AI force someone who was properably alongside them without dive bombing off into the grass, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, a few hours ago I uploaded the 30 minute Jeux-France video to youtube, so here you are, in 4 parts. Sorry about the lip-syncing, these converters ...:ouch:

30 Minute Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

Well I forgot to mention the page where the Elise race was getting some rear end busting.
The original poster who put up the vids was Zero and thanks for that.
The vids are on page 61, the post is number 1205.
The rear end impacts are bad signs of really not very upgraded A.I.
Of the 3 vids it is the middle one with the Lotus Elise's.

From the repeated references to the Nurburgring in the first segment of these new YouTube videos (good job, Earth 👍 ) from the Leipzig conference, and ALPHA's superb detective work revealing that the menu screen location is a town near the Nurburgring, can we safely assume that the Nurb is one of the circuits in GT5:P? I'd be willing to put money on it, myself... :sly:

Me too, TM.

Also, on the presentation, he specificaly said 'Nurburgring' several times, referring as race scheduling with friends and photo album. I'm pretty sure it'll be on the game. After all, it's not the 1st GT game with it, so I wouldn't think they would save it as a 'surprise'.

My guess for the surprise is Spa-Francorchamps track. 👍

I notice in the video of the MyPage, the list of "locations" that randomly appear at the top. The interviewer says that it is for talking to your buddies, but they all seem to be racing circuits:

Shanghai
Suzuka
Sonoma
Monterey
Speedway
Daytona Beach
Brands Hatch
Le Mans
Nurburg

I notice in the video of the MyPage, the list of "locations" that randomly appear at the top. The interviewer says that it is for talking to your buddies, but they all seem to be racing circuits:

Shanghai
Suzuka
Sonoma
Monterey
Speedway
Daytona Beach
Brands Hatch
Le Mans
Nurburg

Yeah I think this has been discussed before. However, it could simply be that the tracks shown are the nearest to wherever you are located.

So for me, it would show 'Brands Hatch' as I live in the UK, someone in Germany would have 'Nurburg', and there seem to be a few depending on where you are in the USA.

I hope that these tracks will be included in the final game and that the weather report will determine the weather at the chosen track, but you never know. They could just be a list of locations!

I know it is all merely speculation, and they could simply be choosing random tracks, byt the combination of tracks in GT4 and new tracks is worth considering.

From the repeated mention of the Nurburgring in the first segment of these new YouTube videos from the Leipzig conference, and ALPHA's superb detective work revealing that the menu screen location is Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, a town near the Nurburgring, can we safely assume that the Nurb is one of the circuits in GT5:P? I'd be willing to put money on it, myself... :sly:
I would too(if I have any)and btw, you double posted:)

back to the nurburgring track in GT5:P.

I hope that they remoddeled the track abit to and add more fancy stuff to it... (camping cars, spectators, etc,) and i hope they included thew F1 Nurburgring with connection to the nordschleife :D

back to the nurburgring track in GT5:P.

I hope that they remoddeled the track abit to and add more fancy stuff to it... (camping cars, spectators, etc,) and i hope they included thew F1 Nurburgring with connection to the nordschleife :D

That would be awesome! Then it would be the proper 24 hour Nurburgring Track!

Then going down the flowing curve the yellow elise slams its brakes, what does the other car do, yup you guessed it, nails him in the rearend like a just released inmate tappin a cheap hooker. Then one more time going down a straight stretch instead of moving to a new line to pass the yellow elise, it just..wait for it, hits the yellow elise once again, this time though there was plently of time to make a clean pass, no excuses.

The hit on the curve after the hairpin is not an AI fault. The driver braked on a flat out corner. The only places you break on a track are the braking zones. If you brake on any other part of a track anyone right behind you would inevitable run straight into the back of you.

The hit on the curve after the hairpin is not an AI fault. The driver braked on a flat out corner. The only places you break on a track are the braking zones. If you brake on any other part of a track anyone right behind you would inevitable run straight into the back of you.

That's what I keep thinking when I read all the complaints about the AI.

Even in the braking zones overbraking and braking too soon SHOULD result in getting hit from behind, sometimes damn hard. Anyone who watched the Truex Jr./Montoya/Harvick NASCAR incident can see this.

Some of you seem to want the AI to respect an imaginary bubble that surrounds each car. I just don't get it.

Also, is it beyond possibility that each AI driver may have a different skill level with some better than others? Kaz certainly had more trouble passing the R8 later in his run than cars earlier. I'd have to go back and look to see if they were all inferior autos earlier on or if they were just slower.

That's what I keep thinking when I read all the complaints about the AI.

Even in the braking zones overbraking and braking too soon SHOULD result in getting hit from behind, sometimes damn hard. Anyone who watched the Truex Jr./Montoya/Harvick NASCAR incident can see this.

Some of you seem to want the AI to respect an imaginary bubble that surrounds each car. I just don't get it.

The Harvick Truex incident is a great example. And I've seen AI that does respect an imaginary bubble around your car in rFactor and I can tell you it looks completely rediculous. As many times as they hit their brakes to stay off of you and other AI you would think they would wear them out before the 10th lap

It also takes away from the realism. In rFactor you can be right in front of someone and slam on the brakes and you might just get a nudge because they have superhuman reflexes with the brakes

I'm back in school and back with broadband. I'm here to comment on some pictures (and learn some stuff). I'll comment on videos judging on the specific videos.

--- Type C ---
For one thing, I love the opening music to the Gran Turismo "Type-C" movie. I later got to love the music that followed. I am in love. Just seeing the cars in the opening just on display in the various "3D Wallpapers" is amazing. Almost like I'm in front of these cars right now in the given locations. PD's outdone themselves. The racing action was wicked as usual. I can't begin to tell you what racing against 10 more competitors will be like.

--- Gamespot Videos < http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/granturismo5prologue/media.html?tag=eventgames;video;4 > ---
I saw some of the video demonstrations ranging from Pre-Race demonstrations and more. I noticed a lot of the different touches both graphically and physically. I'm not at liberty to show off my observations at this time. I do think it's amazing to watch the guy work the steering wheel. I am completely amazed. I even noticed some of the different hand and arm motions. I think the best example for noticing hands and arms in motion is either in drifting or rally.

Overall, I finally get to see some of the videos. I have a lot of catching up to do in watching GT5P videos on GTPlanet after staying home with dial-up for three months. I'm not done commenting on videos as of right now.

Sorry but it was A.I. fault.
Count the seconds from when the human driver dove to the inside and hit the brakes until the A.I. car made contact.
As there are only 16 crs on track and this incident was between two cars which had plently of side track room to manuveur (as in no cars next to them) even if the A.I. car would have clipped the human driver by steering to the left, it should have "read" what the human driver was doing and attempted to avoid the impact, which it didn't do as it just hit right in the back end of the human drivers car.
I'm not expecting an A.I. bubble and yes it is still too early for any kind of real judging on the A.I. but i'm also expecting a no impact rule if avoidability can be made.
Yes it would be nice to see different levels of A.I. intelligence, and maybe that was, if so it was A.I. error.
I also noticed that Kaz was having trouble during the pres releae vids trying to pass an A.I. opponent that was just GT4'ing it way around the track, and was making the same hold it's line mistakes.
I believe the A.I. car was the GT-R prototype.
Yes mistakes can happen, but when you watch that Elise vid and keep seeing the same opponent repeatedly hit the human driver it simply looks like the A.I. needs way more improvement. Be glad there is about another year until GT5 is actually out and who knows maybe Prolouge will get a couple updates for the fixing of mirrors, hand movement, A.I. etc.

Back