Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
If you have not heard: "A SCEE spokesperson stressed to us that while Prologue is heading to PSN, it won't be free like the previously released Gran Turismo demo and, what's more, the downloadable game doesn't include damage modelling - unlike the Blu-ray version. However, both versions do include more than 40 cars, as well as offering the chance to go head-to-head with fellow speed freaks in 16-player online races."
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/816/816592p1.html?RSSwhen2007-08-29_022000&RSSid=816592

If you have not heard: "A SCEE spokesperson stressed to us that while Prologue is heading to PSN, it won't be free like the previously released Gran Turismo demo and, what's more, the downloadable game doesn't include damage modelling - unlike the Blu-ray version. However, both versions do include more than 40 cars, as well as offering the chance to go head-to-head with fellow speed freaks in 16-player online races."
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/816/816592p1.html?RSSwhen2007-08-29_022000&RSSid=816592

good stuff that

I'm not excited about damage or online play, so I'm okay with a damage-free model. I would still like to see GT5P on PS3s on kiosks of PS3s at electronics stores and electronic sections of stores. I'd love to see this deal in North America, even if this isn't a full-blown GT. I'd at least want to try this. Unless we'll be relegated to GTHD and its lone track with 10 cars to choose from.

Another indication that the downloaded GT5P may be free is here:

At the Leipzig Games Convention earlier this month, Gran Turismo fans received a few morsels about the next installment in Sony's renowned racing series. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president David Reeves confirmed that Gran Turismo 5 would be released in 2008, while franchise creator Kazunori Yamauchi told attendees that the downloadable prequel appetizer to his next full offering--Gran Turismo 5 Prologue--would be available for free.

Today SCEE added another bit of information on its Prologue release plans, announcing that the game would be available in Europe as a download or on a Blu-ray disc. SCEE promised that Prologue would be available by the end of the year, with the full Gran Turismo 5 arriving in 2008. No pricing was announced for the Blu-ray edition.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will be the first time the franchise gives gamers the chance to race against one another online. Prologue will also feature more than 40 cars, tracks with reverse and alternate routes, and Gran Turismo TV, an online video channel for the PlayStation Network.

As of press time, representatives with SCEE and Sony Computer Entertainment America had not responded to GameSpot's request for clarification on the pricing and distribution of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

From gamespot

Another indication that the downloaded GT5P may be free is here:

From gamespot
Call me skeptical, but it looks like they are just spreading the same information... which doesn't make it accurate or more true. It’s not like Gamespot and other game sites haven’t reported rumor as fact before.

Does anyone have a source or video of Yamauchi at Leipzig making this statement? If he really did say that, someone had to have captured it, certainly a confirmable direct quote.

It sounds very much like this is another example of "Lost In Translation" or a rumor generated factoid.

I just can't see any precedent for a game like GT5:P to be a free download. GT:HD makes sense to be free, and from everything I've read, GT5:P is many times larger in gameplay and content than GT:HD.

I agree, DN.

However, it would be cool to see something like a low priced Blu Ray disc with some extra stuff while a download would be free.

Does anyone have a source or video of Yamauchi at Leipzig making this statement? If he really did say that, someone had to have captured it, certainly a confirmable direct quote.
The only video I've seen, the one with Kaz in the private press conference room, the quote was price was not determined yet.

Cheers,

MasterGT

As far as GT5P being released in the USA. Perhaps it’s down to how many downloads have been done by American users compared to the downloads of European or Asian downloads?
When GT:HD was originally released, it instantly set a record for the most downloaded Store product. I can't see why new PS3 owners since then haven't continued to push this number up, either.

SCEA knows "to the console", just how many people have taken interest in Prologue, so numbers is no excuse.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Call me skeptical, but it looks like they are just spreading the same information... which doesn't make it accurate or more true. It’s not like Gamespot and other game sites haven’t reported rumor as fact before.

It sounds very much like this is another example of "Lost In Translation" or a rumor generated factoid.

I just can't see any precedent for a game like GT5:P to be a free download. GT:HD makes sense to be free, and from everything I've read, GT5:P is many times larger in gameplay and content than GT:HD.

Im as sceptical as you now, but it doesnt mean that it wont be free. It is after all, a crippled version of a full game, that is taking too long to get out.
Too long for us anyway.

What SCEA is doing, for the second time in a row, is completely unforgivable!
Just so I'm clear, do we know for a fact that Sony isn't releasing GT5:P in the US? Yes, it's very odd that they have made no mention of it, but considering how easy it is now to order games abroad, even if they don't, what's to keep us from getting it anyway?

Im as sceptical as you now, but it doesnt mean that it wont be free. It is after all, a crippled version of a full game, that is taking too long to get out.
Too long for us anyway.
But that's more support for why it wont be free. Afterall, clearly even GT5:P is a game with a great deal of development time & costs. And unless I'm mistaken GT4:P wasn't free so there is already a precedent, and one that used the exact same nomenclature. Add to that how much there is in the game and the ability to play online with up to 16 players - it simply doesn't make sense. In fact, none of the free games for the PS3 even offer online play.

I'm not saying I know for a fact that it wont be free, and I am saying I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it is, but I am saying there is very little, if any reason why PD/Sony would release GT5:P for free, as it is highly desired, and appears to have more desired gameplay and features and performance than a lot of games that are most definitely not free.

So not only do the facts that we know for sure don’t really lend support to the notion that it will be free, but the amount of interest, neigh, demand for GT5:P, suggests that it would be foolish from a commercial stand point to offer it free.

But that's more support for why it wont be free. Afterall, clearly even GT5:P is a game with a great deal of development time & costs. And unless I'm mistaken GT4:P wasn't free so there is already a precedent, and one that used the exact same nomenclature. Add to that how much there is in the game and the ability to play online with up to 16 players - it simply doesn't make sense. In fact, none of the free games for the PS3 even offer online play.

I'm not saying I know for a fact that it wont be free, and I am saying I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it is, but I am saying there is very little, if any reason why PD/Sony would release GT5:P for free, as it is highly desired, and appears to have more desired gameplay and features and performance than a lot of games that are most definitely not free.

So not only do the facts that we know for sure don’t really lend support to the notion that it will be free, but the amount of interest, neigh, demand for GT5:P, suggests that it would be foolish from a commercial stand point to offer it free.

The one and only reason why GT4P wasnt free is because the PSN didnt exist than. And you seem to imply that GT5P is a game that takes PD away from developing GT5, while again, its a preview of the full game. There is no reason why GT5P should cost money, because its a demo.

There are and were many games that had both single and multiplayer aspects in their respective demos. I honestly believe that GT5P should be free from the PSN, but I will buy disk version just to support PD.

heavymetal
I honestly believe that GT5P should be free from the PSN, but I will buy disk version just to support PD.
Sorry about the spelling on that name... :ouch:

None the less, that quote is exactly why GT5:P will not be free.

One major point to consider... Availible on Blueray Disc and PSN could very easily mean "demo and game." :dunce:
Isn't GTHD just a demo and also free?
Well one or two cars from GT5P and one track could easily make a demo when there's a full "GT5P" in the stores. 👍

I sort of feel like GT5P is going to be more of a game than most people expect (generalized statement I know :ouch: ).
I figure four or five tracks and 50 cars is just a really small game. :D

Sorry about the spelling on that name... :ouch:

None the less, that quote is exactly why GT5:P will not be free.

One major point to consider... Availible on Blueray Disc and PSN could very easily mean "demo and game." :dunce:
Well one or two cars from GT5P and one track could easily make a demo when there's a full "GT5P" in the stores. 👍

I sort of feel like GT5P is going to be more of a game than most people expect (generalized statement I know :ouch: ).
I figure four or five tracks and 50 cars is just a really small game. :D

GTHD is not a demo for one small reason that it is not previewing any game. They just made it to showcase what the PS3 can do.

Now, by the standards of a racing game, GT5P is not a demo.
However, by GT standards it is a demo, and so its only logical it should be free.

We cant ignore the fact that the only reason PD is releasing GT5P to quiet the fans for a little, and probably test the online component, and Home integration with the game. 50 cars (not all individual models, such as skylines and NSXs) and 5 tracks is by no means a GT game!

Maybe the disk edition will include additional material like it was the case with GT4P, but there is no fair argument or reason to charge money for a product that its whole purpose is testing and tweaking for its whole experience - wich is GT5.

The one and only reason why GT4P wasnt free is because the PSN didnt exist than.
You say that as its a matter of fact, and not just an opinion.

And you seem to imply that GT5P is a game that takes PD away from developing GT5, while again, its a preview of the full game. There is no reason why GT5P should cost money, because its a demo.
Says who? Time after time Sony and PD has made it abundantly clear that GT5:P is NOT a demo. In fact, I know I myself have read several direct quotes saying that exact thing.

Now as Kent pointed out, PD may make a free demo of GT5:P, but that's something entirely different then what you're saying... and IF they did, that would even reinforce the point that GT5:P is NOT a demo.

There are and were many games that had both single and multiplayer aspects in their respective demos.
I said online gameplay. If you can, name me one of the roughly 30 free demo and starter-pack games downloadable off the PSN that comes with online gameplay. If you're not sure of what free demos were/are available for the PS3 here are at least the ones I've downloaded:
  • All Pro Football 2K8
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
  • NASCAR 08
  • Folklore
  • DiRT
  • NCAA Football 08
  • Bladestrom
  • Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
  • Heavenly Sword
  • The Darkness
  • Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • Virtual Tennis 3
  • Armored Core 4
  • MLB 2K7
  • Every Body's Golf 3
  • Def Jam: Icon
  • NBA 07
  • Formula One: Championship Edition
  • MotorStorm
  • Resistence: Fall of Man
  • Full Auto 2: Battlelines
  • Ridge Racer 7
  • Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
  • XI[sai]
  • Go! Puzzle
  • Super Rub'a'Dub
  • Ca$h Gun$ & Chao$
  • GripShift
  • Blast Factor
  • Lemmings
  • Go! Sedoku

That's a great point. Maybe they are going to release a demo of GT5:P.

It isn't a demo, as PD has also made it clear that GT5 will be very different than GT:HD.

Really GT:HD is just a nice free mini-game. One track, ten cars, no AI, just a time trialing and drift challenges. Still a nice treat to have on the PS3.

Agreed, and now that you have me thinking about it, that would make sense, and possibly explain how the rumor got started about GT5:P being free off the PSN. A classic Lost in Translation factoid. :)

I sort of feel like GT5P is going to be more of a game than most people expect
I couldn't agree more. You'd be surprised how people who have been playing GT:HD since last year are still playing it today!

An EVO replay that some of you may not have seen yet.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_4370_en.html

I haven't seen that video so + rep to you.

It was an interesting video for a few reasons.

1) The whether or time of day in this case seemed different to what we have seen thus far in GT5P video's it appears to be evening rather than the mid afternoon shots we have seen so far, this is good news, because hopefully we see other times of day included, and dare I say it, in race lighting changes perhaps even day/night transistions. Speculatuon, mere speculation yet the fact that it is different in this clip shows that PD have given thought to it.

2) It appears to be some sort of trackday, a better variety in cars which is good, normally I wouldn't see an alfa in a race with a TVR tuscan speed 6 yet in a trackday I would expect this, good news then, hopefully we can see some virtual laptimes of our opponents so we could see what lap time our opponents set even if our car isn't going to be the fastest.

3) Not really a point just a note, the TVR driver or AI appeared way out of control, this leads me to belive that it wasn't an AI, but if it is AI, then I am not sure what to make of it. On the one jand its nice to see opponents make mistakes, its also nice to see that the AI struggles with tough cars to handle this makes the AI seem somewhat human with human flaws. On the other hand that was way to erratic to be considered good AI full stop, so I am hoping it was a Person rather than AI.

Says who? Time after time Sony and PD has made it abundantly clear that GT5:P is NOT a demo. In fact, I know I myself have read several direct quotes saying that exact thing.

Now as Kent pointed out, PD may make a free demo of GT5:P, but that's something entirely different then what you're saying... and IF they did, that would even reinforce the point that GT5:P is NOT a demo.

I said online gameplay. If you can, name me one of the roughly 30 free demo and starter-pack games downloadable off the PSN that comes with online gameplay. If you're not sure of what free demos were/are available for the PS3 here are at least the ones I've downloaded:
  • Folklore
  • DiRT
  • NCAA Football 08
  • Bladestrom
  • Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
  • Heavenly Sword
  • The Darkness
  • Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • Virtual Tennis 3
  • Armored Core 4
  • MLB 2K7
  • Every Body's Golf 3
  • Def Jam: Icon
  • NBA 07
  • Resistence: Fall of Man
  • Full Auto 2: Battlelines
  • Ridge Racer 7
  • XI[sai]
  • Go! Puzzle
  • Super Rub'a'Dub
  • Ca$h Gun$ & Chao$
  • GripShift
  • Blast Factor
  • Lemmings
  • Go! Sedoku

I would like to read the quotes you are talking about.
As for the demos, I was not talking about the PS3 aspect alone, I was talking about PC demos as well.

Like I said, I will buy the disk version, but that doesnt make GT5P not a glorified demo of GT5.

We can argue opinions until tomorrow, but I would think that its a good thing for GT5P to be free :boggled:

I would like to read the quotes you are talking about.
You can find several quotes by just doing a Google search, but here's one for you from Phil Harrison himself:

A Conversation With Phil Harrison
*snip*

GI: Gran Turismo has bounced around quite a bit. GT HD was great, but it was the demo. Kazunori talked about all of these things they wanted to do originally with downloadable content, and that all got pretty much scrapped for GT5. When was it decided to release Prologue, which is a demo but more of an expanded demo?

Harrison: It’s not a demo, it’s a game. It’s a full game, and it’s got full features.

*snip*

As for the demos, I was not talking about the PS3 aspect alone, I was talking about PC demos as well.
What does PC demos have anything to do with setting a precedent for Sony releasing a demo with 16-player online gameplay? Come on, now it seems you are just arguing for the sake of arguing and not trying to uncover the truth. Please, at the very least try to stick with relevant facts if you are going to try and support your opinion.

We can argue opinions until tomorrow, but I would think that its a good thing for GT5P to be free :boggled:
Well for one, I'm simply trying to make sure actual facts are identified, and distinguished from just a personal opinion.

As for a free version of GT5:P being a good thing, of course it would. A free Porsche Boxster would be a good thing as well... as some like to argue that it is just a "demo" of a 911, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that either. ;)

Look, all I'm saying is that so far the actual known facts, not just speculative opinion points to GT5:P as not being a free download. Now maybe a free demo of GT5:P is in the works, but again, that’s just speculation at this point. I suspect most know they are going to get a lot more out of GT5:P then a lot of games that sell for $60, and certainly far more than any "glorified" demo, so for them at least I suspect they, like you will not have any problem buying GT5:P.

I guess we will have to wait until Sony makes an official announcement regarding the price and details about when and where GT5:P will be released before we jump to any more conclusions.

I just got back from a 10-day holiday during which I made a point of not browsing the web so all these great news after Leipzig really make the "back to work depression" less painful!
This GAME really looks ever more promising; and notice I say GAME, not demo, cause once again people are calling it that!
Of course I wouldn't mind if it was free (or if someone parked a Boxster in my driveway and left the keys in my mailbox lol) but I have to go with those stating that it's just too much work from PD for it to be handed out for free!

Great job from Amar & co - yet another time!

RUI

Too long for us anyway.

'Crippled version' implies they've taken the 'full' game and hacked componants out of it. GT5 Prologue will be an acumulation of their development of the game on the PS3 so far.

And you seem to imply that GT5P is a game that takes PD away from developing GT5, while again, its a preview of the full game. There is no reason why GT5P should cost money, because its a demo.

So.... GT3 must have just been a demo for GT4?

MGR
So.... GT3 must have just been a demo for GT4?

What are you trying to say? As far as I know, GT3 couldn't have been a demo for GT4, but anyhow, whats your point, dude? I don't understand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the people who were able to get GT4p, didn't anyone have to pay money to get that? If so, same thing here, reguardless if it is released in online or disc form, it wouldn't matter.

What are you trying to say? As far as I know, GT3 couldn't have been a demo for GT4, but anyhow, whats your point, dude? I don't understand.

He/she was trying to justify their argument that GT5P should be free because the development and technology used will be obviously be used in GT5.

How is that any different from the GT3 to GT4 evolution?
If GT5P was named GT5, and GT5 was named GT6 would that make a difference to people misguided perceptions of Prologue?

Historically 'Prologue' has been 1/2 the price of the 'full' version as well. And at half price the game was still better than most of the racing games available at the 'full' $$$.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people think getting something for nothing is their god given right. :crazy:

I think that IGN article that i posted is valid since "iterview" is dated 29.8.2007. Free GT:P rumor dates back to 22.8.2007.

They also have quoted...

"A SCEE spokesperson stressed to us that while Prologue is heading to PSN, it won't be free like the previously released Gran Turismo demo and, what's more, the downloadable game doesn't include damage modelling - unlike the Blu-ray version."

WTF? :odd:

Not sure about the credibility of either GS or IGN at the moment.

MGR
They also have quoted...

"A SCEE spokesperson stressed to us that while Prologue is heading to PSN, it won't be free like the previously released Gran Turismo demo and, what's more, the downloadable game doesn't include damage modelling - unlike the Blu-ray version."

That's why we're in the dark at the moment. In my opinion, I think the game will be released via PSN and Blu-Ray (already confirmed), both without damage, maybe some additional content on the Blu-ray disc, and neither one will be free. That's just how i think its going to play out.......oh and PD better add North America to their release list :grumpy:

MGR
They also have quoted...

It's wery odd when previously it was said that damage can be added with system updates.

Back