Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
MGR
They also have quoted...

"A SCEE spokesperson stressed to us that while Prologue is heading to PSN, it won't be free like the previously released Gran Turismo demo and, what's more, the downloadable game doesn't include damage modelling - unlike the Blu-ray version."

WTF? :odd:

Not sure about the credibility of either GS or IGN at the moment.
This is the kind of amateurish situation that occurs when a company such as PD uses the media as their press release agency. One source contradicts another; one source uses another source as their source; one source gets a tip no-one else can confirm because no-one else was in the room at the same time; interpretation by one source is different than interpretation by another source.

He who owns two watches doesn't know what time it is!

💡 How about PD start using their own web site to disseminate the correct information to everyone, at the same time, in an international language, such as English? The added side-effect is that Kaz/PD would be less likely to be able to play the games with us that he has practiced over all of these past ten years.

Cheers,

MasterGT

This is the kind of amateurish situation that occurs when a company such as PD uses the media as their press release agency. One source contradicts another; one source uses another source as their source; one source gets a tip no-one else can confirm because no-one else was in the room at the same time; interpretation by one source is different than interpretation by another source.

He who owns two watches doesn't know what time it is!

💡 How about PD start using their own web site to disseminate the correct information to everyone, at the same time, in an international language, such as English? The added side-effect is that Kaz/PD would be less likely to be able to play the games with us that he has practiced over all of these past ten years.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Your assuming the fault lies with PD and not with the authors of the articles.

There are probably numerous inaccuracies littered within their (IGN, GS etc) articles about other games. It's just we (this forum) happen to follow this particular game's progress much more closely - and therefore jump on and over analyse any little scrap of information. :sly:

I see only one reason why the GT5:P could be free.

Also notice there will almost certanly be more than 5 tracks in game, since press-release is talking about "variations". If so, then wishful thinking could lead us to idea that Suzuka will come as GP, West and East, Eiger Nordwand as Short (as in GT:HD) and Long, Fuji as GT and GP (as seen in GT4) and London City could also bring back "oldies-but-goldies" tradition form GT and GT2 of city-tracks having both Short and Long configurations.

Back to subject:

Sony could make a GT5:P as free download / free bundled BR game (with PS3) ONLY in idea to boost-up the PS3 sales in holiday season. Taht is also the only way you can have both format free of charge - since there is no logic of having DWNL free, and BR not. That is one-and-only reason I can think of in light of releasing GT5:P as a FREE game. No other reason seems valid from bussines-making POW.

Sony could make a GT5:P as free download / free bundled BR game (with PS3) ONLY in idea to boost-up the PS3 sales in holiday season. Taht is also the only way you can have both format free of charge - since there is no logic of having DWNL free, and BR not. That is one-and-only reason I can think of in light of releasing GT5:P as a FREE game. No other reason seems valid from bussines-making POW.

Very much a viable possibility.

SCEE have stated numerous times that 'value-add' for the PS3 works better in PAL territories than a console price drop. Only recently they released bundles with and extra controller and two first party games for the same price.

That may explain the lack of confirmation regarding the US release?

Perhaps 'free GT5P' is just another value-add incentive to boost consoles sales and create a bit of momentum and positive PR for the PS3?

GT4P was on disk, plus it included an additional disk. Plus it included a nice case. Ofcourse it will cost money, but since it wasnt a full game, they didnt charge for it like one. So I understand why GT5P should cost money, but I also think thats why the PSN ver shouldnt.

Same thing here can happen with the disk edition of GT5P - all of those materials used (cd, case, printing and such) cost money. Or you can release it online for free.

There are no facts as of right now that the PSN ver wont be free, so I dont understand this quest for finding the truth. So far, everyone has only came up with opinions as to why it should or shouldnt be free on the PSN.

The only facts we do have are two gaming websites, with one saying its free, and the other saying its not.

And please, I know you dont mean it Digital-Nitrate, but I feel like you are patronizing me here. Im arguing something that have we have no fact about. So are you.

And ofcourse Im talking about PC demos aswell, if only for the analysis. Sony said that their PS3 is no longer a gaming console, so why not treat it like something more?

Also, PD never said that what you see in GT3 is what you will play 4 years later in GT4.
I don't understand what is this need for sarcasm here...

And again, all we can go on abput now, are our opinions and 2 gaming websites.

MGR
Your assuming the fault lies with PD and not with the authors of the articles.

There are probably numerous inaccuracies littered within their (IGN, GS etc) articles about other games. It's just we (this forum) happen to follow this particular game's progress much more closely - and therefore jump on and over analyse any little scrap of information. :sly:

Copy editing and fact checking should occur before publication. If there are numerous inaccuracies in articles, and the fault of it lies with the people gathering data rather than the source, then those people should be summarily fired. Given consistent information from a source, absolutely no inaccuracies should exist. Maybe this reasoning is why MasterGT took the stance that he did.

I have been trying to find a corroboration of PD's stance as to an N.A. release of GT5 Prologue and have come up with 0. I want to know if what I read on the kotaku.com article about PD requesting N.A. fan feedback is true. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. Regardless, if PD did their own press releases and posted them up proper like so many other companies, I wouldn't be posting this comment right now.

[merchant] ah, il buy it at a high price! [/merchant]

il pay £10 to £15 if i knew it helped count in some way to gt5. gt4 could read your memory to give you some cash if you had a previous gt game.

if gt5P came with some sort of certificate to get some freebies off the gt5 store that would be nice a 'choose 20 cars for free' type of thing.

They'll make enough money through releases of new cars and/or tracks for GT5, no doubt. They might as well have GT5:P for free.

I don't understand why price (or lack of) is such an issue.

I don't care if it is free or if it costs $50, all I know is a I want it.

I don't understand why price (or lack of) is such an issue.

I don't care if it is free or if it costs $50, all I know is a I want it.

As long as I don't have to pay extra for upgrades then I am with you there, I would happily reward PD for this great game. I am not going to worry about 30 quid.

GT4P was on disk, plus it included an additional disk. Plus it included a nice case. Ofcourse it will cost money, but since it wasnt a full game, they didnt charge for it like one. So I understand why GT5P should cost money, but I also think thats why the PSN ver shouldnt.

Same thing here can happen with the disk edition of GT5P - all of those materials used (cd, case, printing and such) cost money. Or you can release it online for free.

By that rational the PSN version of Warhawk should've been free.

The cost of the plastic case and discs are almost negligible when compared to the cost of software development. The value is in the game - not the packaging.

MGR
The cost of the plastic case and discs are almost negligible when compared to the cost of software development. The value is in the game - not the packaging.

I agree, BUT... it's not viable to think (as has already been said somewhere around this thread) that any company would be willing to lose money on releasing a product by giving it away.
After all, even a very small amout of money multiplied by millions becomes A LOT, and let's not forget distribution costs.

Now availability for download, that's a whole different ball game.

I figure four or five tracks and 50 cars is just a really small game. :D
If I remember correctly that was the standard for racing games before Gran Turismo came along.

I have always thought of GT5P asa small game or a minin game, kind of like how the PS2 had those $9.99 games that were about PS1 quality, except thsi is about size and not quality.

I agree, BUT... it's not viable to think (as has already been said somewhere around this thread) that any company would be willing to lose money on releasing a product by giving it away.
After all, even a very small amout of money multiplied by millions becomes A LOT, and let's not forget distribution costs.

Now availability for download, that's a whole different ball game.

Downloads have a cost too. There's the hardware infrastructure and the bandwidth costs. Still cheaper than supplying on a disc though.

If it's free on the PSN then the Blu-Ray version will probably be bundled onto a PlayStation magazine demo disc.

If it's sold on Blu-Ray as a separate game (say 1/2 the price of Sony first party titles) then Sony are totally justified selling it on the PSN at a slightly reduced cost - just like their other games. There's no reason you should 'expect' it for free just because it's downloaded.

Here we go again.

OK so using that logic all the following downloadable games for the PS3 should be free?:
  • Blast Factor
  • Calling All Cars!
  • Cash Guns Chaos
  • Championship Sprint
  • flOw
  • Gauntlet II
  • Go! Sudoku
  • Go! Puzzle
  • GripShift
  • Joust
  • Lemmings
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Nucleus
  • Piyotama
  • Q*Bert
  • Rampage World Tour
  • Rampart
  • Super Rub 'a' Dub
  • Super Stardust HD
  • Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
  • Warhawk
As nice as Warhawk is, even GT5:P looks to have significantly more gameplay value, and Warhawk is a $40 download.

You really are having a hard time grasping the understanding of why things cost money and you continue to ignore the fact that Sony has made it clear "IT IS NOT A DEMO".

There are no facts as of right now that the PSN ver wont be free, so I dont understand this quest for finding the truth. So far, everyone has only came up with opinions as to why it should or shouldnt be free on the PSN.
Actually it was you who was stating opinions disguised as facts - that have been proven not to be true, so chill out.

The only facts we do have are two gaming websites, with one saying its free, and the other saying its not.
No, there are other facts that have been discussed, that you seem to chose to ignore.

And again, all we can go on about now, are our opinions and 2 gaming websites.
Which is fine, but don't state incorrect facts, or ignore real facts in order to try and support your opinion... that's where you not only went wrong, but did a disservice to everyone else who might believe what you said is in deed truthful facts.

Just a friendly reminder, rule #1 of the GTP AUP:
AUP
  • You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.
When you make comments like these:
I just hope the PSN ver will be free like Yamauchi san said...

It is after all, a crippled version of a full game

The one and only reason why GT4P wasnt free is because the PSN didnt exist than.
You are making them like they are confirmed facts, and not just your opinion, or the expressed opinion/rumor/misunderstanding of another.

You've made your point, and that you would really like GT5:P to be free, but it really is wrong and does a disservice to the rest of us to disguise your opinion, or even the opinions of others as facts on why GT5:P should be free. That's the only issue I have with you. As I said, I too would love it if GT5:P was free. How can anyone argue with that? It's the lack of any relevant facts that support that theory, and your apparent choice to ignore relevant facts that disprove that theory is what I have a problem with.

Oh well.

I'd have to agree with that summary, D-N... frankly, I'd be amazed if GT5:P was free. However, it's quite likely going to be a semi-premium title, since they can't possibly charge the same for GT5:P as they will for GT5... since GT5:P will be rendered completely redundant when GT5 comes out, the price will have to reflect that fact...

I agree. I'm sure even if GT5:P is priced close to $60, I suspect we would see significant price drops before and/or when GT5 is released.

Why is it so hard to understand, that GT5P is a preview of GT5 - meaning a taste of what to expect of the full game.

Full Game.

There is not a full-er version of MK2, nor of FLOW. Stop trying to prove me wrong.
Im not stating any facts besides of the GT5P and GT5 issue.

Only my opinion as to why I think what I think. Its ok to disagree with me, but even if I wrote that according to GS, Yamauchi said it will be free - it can change. I don't know what you've got against me', but its just my opinion.

I think it should be free, because its a preview of a full game, and by the GT games sheer size and standard, it is tiny.

However, its much too large for a demo of a racing game - everything counted for, so I would understand why it will cost money.

I don't care how much it will cost, because like I said, I would buy the disk version even if the PSN version would be free.

Lastly, there seems to be a wise-guy attitude in here (such as that WH comment). Please try to understand other people before acting all high and mighty, since Im sure we can get along quite well.

Lastly, there seems to be a wise-guy attitude in here (such as that WH comment). Please try to understand other people before acting all high and mighty, since Im sure we can get along quite well.

You're the one that justified charging for GT4P because it was supplied on disc and you've already said you'd be happy to pay for the disc version of GT5P. Yet you think the download version should be free. Therefore you place no value on the actual game software itself - hence the Warhawk comparison. It's very difficult to 'understand someone' that makes such comments.

I'll personally pick up the first version that becomes available, but I'll probably grab a copy of the Blu-ray version too if it's released after the PSN version.

MGR
You're the one that justified charging for GT4P because it was supplied on disc and you've already said you'd be happy to pay for the disc version of GT5P. Yet you think the download version should be free. Therefore you place no value on the actual game software itself - hence the Warhawk comparison. It's very difficult to 'understand someone' that makes such comments.

I'll personally pick up the first version that becomes available, but I'll probably grab a copy of the Blu-ray version too if it's released after the PSN version.

Well, Im not going to explain myself again, since I think its starting to become somewhat of a personal defense of PD. I'll just say that I understand fully the people who want and think that it should be free, plus I also said I would buy the disk version if only to support PD, which kinda does make me place a high value in their game.

I encourage reading of posts and asking questions in something is not understood, instead of just judging right away.

I actually see where H3avyM3tal is coming from. Basically 99% of the time sepnt on GT5:5 was spent on GT5 since what's in GT5:P is a preview of what's in GT5. Warhawk was made as a stand alone, ie once it was done that's it. There was no revenue to be generated from a full release of Warhawk after the download, because the download was it. I know PD are marketing GT5:P as a game in it's own right, and in terms of content, they're right. But in terms of what it actually is, it's still jsut a preview.

Now you can liken this to GT4P, however, that was a packaged product, hence, money was spent on GT4P in terms of manufature and packaging and distribution that was an excess of what was spent on GT4 itself, that is expected to be recouped. Likewise, a packaged version of GT5:P would have the same financial effect. A downaload however would cost relative pennies in comparison, and while it may be worth £20 to the punter, it certainly, in terms of development cost will not justify it.

A downaload however would cost relative pennies in comparison, and while it may be worth £20 to the punter, it certainly, in terms of development cost will not justify it.
Except when you talk development costs you have to know what those costs are. I don't think you'll find too many that believe Sony didn't and isn't continuing to spend a small fortune on GT5, so GT5:P may not only be a reasonable way to allow anxious fans to get a much improved GT experience in their hands now, but also help offset the undoubtedly high production costs. That or make everyone wait another year and then charge over $100 for GT5, which I bet wouldn't go over too well with a lot of people.

In fact, I'll bet they will continue selling GT5:P even after GT5 is released, but obviously at significantly lower price, as it would still appeal to anyone who can't afford to spend $60 or maybe only has a mild interest in a game like GT5. I can certainly see how they could easily coexist in the marketplace for some time.

Besides, the key points are in understanding why it is extremely unlikely GT5:P will be a free download are still...
  1. Is Sony or PD calling GT5:P a demo? No.

2. Has there ever been a demo released for the PS3 that includes online gameplay? No.

3. Has there ever been a demo released for the PS3 that has as much as GT5:P is said to offer? No.

4. Do most "full-featured" PSN games have as much as what GT5:P is said to offer? No.

5. Has there ever been a PS3 demo released on Blu-ray disc? No.

6. Is GT5:P, like most demos, coming out just a month or less before the "full" game is released? No.

7. Is there a whole lot of demand from gamers to play GT5:P? Yes.
Actual facts to back each of these key points has already been discussed, and largely agreed on already.

I can't believe the amount of discussion about this. Anybody who's seriously into GT (includes just about everybody posting here) will surely be prepared to pay $10 - 30 (or the equivalent) for GT5:P in order to get their hands on something 6 - 12 months before GT5 arrives. It's a tiny amount of money to pay for the hours of playing time it represents for hardcore GT fans.

The justification for putting it out free, as far as I can understand it, would be primarily to lure buyers into picking up a PS3 earlier than they might otherwise do. This has significant strategic importance for Sony in the console & especially HD marketing wars. However, by the same argument, anybody really into GT would probably pay for it anyway & those not really into GT wouldn't be swayed by a free GT prequel anyway...

The logical thing to do IMO, would be to charge for GT5:P & offer a discounted purchase of GT5 to GT5:P purchasers, when it becomes available. But I have no idea if this would actually happen.

1. Is Sony or PD calling GT5:P a demo? No.

2. Has there ever been a demo released for the PS3 that includes online gameplay? No.

3. Has there ever been a demo released for the PS3 that has as much as GT5:P is said to offer? No.

4. Do most "full-featured" PSN games have as much as what GT5:P is said to offer? No.

5. Has there ever been a PS3 demo released on Blu-ray disc? No.

6. Is GT5:P, like most demos, coming out just a month or less before the "full" game is released? No.

7. Is there a whole lot of demand from gamers to play GT5:P? Yes.
Actual facts to back each of these key points has already been discussed, and largely agreed on already.

1. I agree that GT5:P is by no means a demo, however, for a GT game, it is.

2.I dont understand the relevance of this, because in the future, it may. Also, what about the warhawk beta?

3. Thats the most absurd thing you said yet. What does MK2 and FLOW have to do with GT5P?

4. Again, irrelevant. Demos are demos - and I agree that GT is unique, however, relate to my first point.

5 & 6. You seem to misunderstood me, as I just said I understand when people say that GT5P should be free.

Now you are just contradicting your self, not only from previous posts, but even within the same post.

I'll just quote myself rather than repeat the same thing as before:
Come on, now it seems you are just arguing for the sake of arguing and not trying to uncover the truth.

Can we please move on? I will if you will. 👍

Back