PS3 General Discussion

G.T
Haha, coincidence. I found out last night also!

I can't wait to use custom backgrounds for the XMB too. That gave you a slight idea as to what it would be like.

You know that if you press the PS button while viewing a photo, it will set it to the background. Its just like if you were to press the PS button while listening to music.

I found a really good article comparing a bunch of 360/PS3 multiplatform games in 1080p. You can definitely tell which games are developed on the PS3, and vice versa.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74502

And, the PS Store is going to be updated (or has it already been done?) with Super Rub a Dub and Gauntlet 2, along with 10 PS3 compatible PS1 titles. From IGN since I don't want to type everything out:

The PlayStation titles made playable on the PS3 today were 2Xtreme, Crash Bandicoot, Destruction Derby, Jet Moto, Jumping Flash, MediEvil, Rally Cross, Syphon Filter, Tekken 2, and WipeOut. Each of these games costs $5.99 to initially download.

Oh, and there's some movie trailers as well.

I saw these comparison screens this morning, but the Xbox360 pics look too blurry. Is it because they were using VGA cable?

Duċk;2650400
They were, but they don't look blurry at all to me. Only the FEAR PS3 shots.
In the Def Jam Icon shots there's a sign in the background. You can barely read it on the X360 version but it's very clear on the PS3 shot.

In the Def Jam Icon shots there's a sign in the background. You can barely read it on the X360 version but it's very clear on the PS3 shot.

Ah, I see... it's probably a trade-off of the general brightness of PS3 games, and HDMI helps as well. So, my consensus of the comparison:

Ridge Racer -> PS3
Def Jam: Icon -> 360 (because of the lack of jaggies)
Fight Night 3 -> PS3
Virtua Tennis 3 -> PS3
NBA Street -> 360
NFS Carbon -> PS3 (because of general clarity)

And here's part 2 I forgot to mention:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=75856

Call of Duty 3 -> 360
FEAR -> 360
Tiger Woods -> 360 (trees look better)
Snooker -> PS3
NBA 2K7 -> PS3
NHL 2K7 -> Even (360 has less jaggies, PS3 has better ice)
Enchanted Arms -> 360
Blazing Angels -> PS3

Pretty interesting.

Anyway, I tried out the Super Rub a Dub demo (thank god, other developers need to take note), and it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Yes, the gameplay is somewhat uninspiring, but it uses the Sixaxis tech the best compared to any other game out there. And the graphics actually look good instead of the upscaled PS2 quality some people have been saying.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not dishing out $6 for this game (well actually, maybe, and I'm also slightly biased. But it doesn't serve the amount of flak it's been getting.

Duċk;2649886
Karma. The Xbox 360 god is punishing you for blasphemy.

OK, I'm screwing with you (obviously). Has there been any other irregular things happening with your PS3 lately? Or just this?

And did you get the error at a certain part (or randomly) while watching the movie? Or did you get it when entering the movie into the drive?

False alarm. Found out the cause, for some reason it does that when I have the external HDD hooked up. Crazy huh?

Also Duck, the tree's DEFINATELY don't look "better" in Tiger Woods on the 360, at least IMO. They're identicle.

Silly question, but since people in the UK can easily access stuff from the US PSN Store, does that mean that people in the UK could take part in the supposedly US-only beta trial?

Duċk;2649834
IMO, Rockstar needs to make the HDD mandatory (like what was done with Final Fantasy XI), and somehow find a way to offload some of the content to the HDD and/or a second disc.
That should be possible as Bethseda managed to have an install for Oblivion onto the PS3 HDD. The Core 360 is certainly a weakness for Microsoft. Why don't they just stop production and continue with the 20GB and Elite?
If PS3 games use HDD installs a lot I think I should invest in an external HDD for my music, video and pics.

Why don't they just stop production and continue with the 20GB and Elite?
If they do, they won't be able to run around saying "ZOMG, our console only costs $299!" :sly:

and dropping the 20g version price from $399 to $299 right now seems to be too much for M$ to take.

Well I finally found what was making the PS3 freek out on shutdown, it when you are logging to the network and the PS3 is getting info from the network. Also just watch out with your password's for sites like GTP as they are used on each user, or so it seems as im on my US user and it kept the password and user name even though ive never put it in on this profile.

Yes, I was... you need to turn Javascript off (thanks to G.T for telling me that!) I think it's in the Tools options when you're browsing the web.

...and thanks to Solid Lifters for telling me... :lol:

Edit: Or it may have been someone else...

No problem 👍 I have nothing to do until 4pm this afternoon, and then I have a seminar. Come to think of it, I may need a coffee before I go in, or even better, a pair of those glasses Homer Simpson has to make it look like he is awake :boggled:

I played the Virtua Tennis demo for the first time last night and was slightly disturbed to find that I found the noise that Sharapova makes when she hits a hard shot is rather, how can I put this, familiar... am I a bad person?

No problem 👍 I have nothing to do until 4pm this afternoon, and then I have a seminar. Come to think of it, I may need a coffee before I go in, or even better, a pair of those glasses Homer Simpson has to make it look like he is awake :boggled:

I played the Virtua Tennis demo for the first time last night and was slightly disturbed to find that I found the noise that Sharapova makes when she hits a hard shot is rather, how can I put this, familiar... am I a bad person?
Your house mate is still at it? :P

:ill: I thank the combined deities of the known universe and their extended families that I don't share a room with her... she's my housemate ;)
:lol: I realised just before you replied.

I'll download that demo sometime, though. It sounds interesting.

Well then, turn up the volume, it's payback time!

G.T
It sounds interesting.
It is ;) I haven't even tried out being Venus Williams yet :dopey:

I also downloaded the Super Rub a Dub demo and within 5 minutes I was losing the will to live. After 10 minutes, I was ready to snap all six of my SIXAXIS's axes and throw the PS3 out the window. After 20 minutes, I realised I had been playing it for twice as long as the Virtua Tennis demo.

Well then, turn up the volume, it's payback time!
Lol, don't think I haven't already thought of that. With Sharapova AND Williams both making noises, I could really have my housemates thinking I got lucky! However, they would be very confused if I then started playing Super Rub A Dub straight after... water splashing and ducks quacking, and me shouting "NO! Not that way you idiot! MOVE YOU STUPID BIRD!" might have them a bit worried!

It is ;) I haven't even tried out being Venus Williams yet :dopey:

I also downloaded the Super Rub a Dub demo and within 5 minutes I was losing the will to live. After 10 minutes, I was ready to snap all six of my SIXAXIS's axes and throw the PS3 out the window. After 20 minutes, I realised I had been playing it for twice as long as the Virtua Tennis demo.

Lol, don't think I haven't already thought of that. With Sharapova AND Williams both making noises, I could really have my housemates thinking I got lucky! However, they would be very confused if I then started playing Super Rub A Dub straight after... water splashing and ducks quacking, and me shouting "NO! Not that way you idiot! MOVE YOU STUPID BIRD!" might have them a bit worried!

Don't diss my kin!

He he, I knew that would drive you quackers...

Aaaaanyway, I know it's not exactly a primo title, and it is moderately entertaining. I also played the Baseball demo and I like the way you use the SIXAXIS motion sensing to strike the ball (or not as the case may be). I hit two home runs on consecutive shots and then bombed for the rest of the game.

Back