PS3 General Discussion

Not at all, if you keep it in a well ventilated area. Ie, none of the vents are blocked, not stored in a cuboard, out of direct sunlight etc (who would do that anyway?).

I always shut the curtains when using my PS2 anyway to stop seeing the sky on the Tele, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Just to add my PS3 bought at launch from Argos here in 'ol Blighty is whisper quiet. Only time I've heard the fans speed up was after leaving it on all night on an 8 hour folding@home session. During games or watching films quite literally a whisper and game sessions have lasted for 12 hours or more at weekends! Not sure why some say their PS3's have a loud fan noise. It could be not all PS3's shipped to the EU were made at the same time (probably not considering there was approximately a million at launch). Maybe some are just louder. But I feel some just haven't given their PS3 room to breath.

Mine is in my living room which is 30' by 12' with two doors (one to the hallway and the other to the kitchen) and patio doors at the back. It sits next to my 500 watt amp and has easily 4" space all round, nothing below or above it. It's well ventilated and I've had no problems except the odd game crash (like Oblivion - no surprise:rolleyes: ) and when exiting my pictures during a slide show.
One day I may hear someones noisy PS3 for myself. Right now it's just my 360 that sounds seriously asthmatic.

I havnt had a chance to hear my PS3 fan noise. My logitech Z5400's are playing everytime i watch a movie or play a game. No fan noise can overcome those :P. I do leave folding at home on when i sleep and i dont ever recall hearing the fan when that happens either.

I would have liked to play it but from what I've heard its not a huge loss... anyone tried CAC yet? I want to get it after my next paycheck when my girlfriend is not looking...

Oh hey! I got good news.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...by_date_ascending&message.id=1507801#M1507801

The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.00 update includes the following:
  • Users
    • You can now password-protect user accounts.
  • Settings
    • [Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
    • [Energy Saver] has been added as an option.
    • [Equalizer] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
    • [Full] has been added as an option for [DVD Wide Display] under [BD / DVD Settings].
    • [Photo Settings] has been added as an option.
    • [PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option.
    • [RSS Channel Settings] has been added as an option.
    • [Sample Rate] has been added to [Audio CD Import] under [Music Settings].
    • [Screen Saver] has been expanded under [Display Settings].
    • The method of selecting an output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].
    • [Theme Settings] has been added as an option.
    • [Zero Unused Disk Space] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Format Utility].
  • Photo
    • Additional slideshow effects have been added.
    • [Photo Effects] have been added as a feature.
    • Wallpaper feature has been added.
    • [Zoom] has been added as a feature.
  • Music
    • Additional visualization effects have been added.
    • CD information can now be entered.
    • Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
  • Video
    • Files can now be played sequentially.
    • Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
    • You can now select [Zoom] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.
      *An appropriate USB adapter (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.
  • Game
    • Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded.
    • XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.
  • Network
    • [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature.
  • Friends
    • You can now have multiple chat sessions.
    • You can now select an image to use as your Avatar from [Photo].
  • Other
    • Date and Time is now shown when the PS button is pressed.
    • File sorting has been changed.
    • [Help] has been added as a feature.
    • Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles.
      To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
    • [Secure Delete] has been added as an option.
    • Some PLAYSTATION®Network features have been revised.

If this is true (and it probably is), I'm going to do cartwheels. We'll get custom backgrounds, custom soundtracks, XMB in-game, custom avatars (even though I love my Super Ducky Family one), RSS (which means we can download our precious podcasts easily), and there's a possibility of creating folders to sort out stuff.

*crosses fingers*

EDIT: Bolded the part where the method of changing display resolutions has been changed. That'll be good too.

This is from the same guy who's done this stuff from the 1.6 update onwards (and has been accurate), so this is probably real as well.

No play list editor announced. Ok not nearly a big deal compared to XMB ingame. Looks to be the best update since 1.50(PS2 GFX fix).

No play list editor announced. Ok not nearly a big deal compared to XMB ingame. Looks to be the best update since 1.50(PS2 GFX fix).

Looks like we'll probably have custom soundtracks now. It'd be nice if there was an energy saving setting for F@h. It has been too hot to be running it all the time now.

Well, I'm going to take a stab and say that the "File sorting has been changed" thing fixes this kind of stuff.

Sweet! It looks like we can expect more and more goodies as time goes by. I agree that the music player needs alot of improvement - being able to edit multiple file names would be good for a kick off - at present, if you have a CD that is not on the database, you have to manually edit each and every file, which is most annoying. However, I like the look of the updates listed above. 'Theme Settings' sounds like you'll be able to download customised icons, fonts, wallpapers etc... presumably?

Before anyone gets to happy with this one I have just read through the whole of the source thread.

It would appear that the original post that started it has been removed by that forums admin and the 'source' of it orginated from the same poster, but on a different board.

This one looks like it could be a false lead (which is a shame).

Ok guys no need for the fuss, we all know Leah is BSing. The mod removed her post and tons confirmed that there is no firmware feature list on that site. She doesn't even come back to explain where she sees it to the tons who don't. We should get an update in May, but this won't be it.

Regards

Scaff

But apparently the poster has got updates correct in the past? I'm not sure why the poster would destroy their reputation like that.

But I agree with the poster not coming back with a reply on anything... It's certainly gone crazy in there.

G.T
But apparently the poster has got updates correct in the past? I'm not sure why the poster would destroy their reputation like that.

But I agree with the poster not coming back with a reply on anything... It's certainly gone crazy in there.

It is a strange situation for someone to do that, but then again I've seen just as strange behaviour from good posters here at GT Planet.

Don't get me wrong I would love for this to be true, but given that the source site is getting more than a bit jittery about the accuracy I thought we should all be aware.

Regards

Scaff

I would guess during the gaming days starting today to the 16th we'll find out one way or another...

PES 07 three times better on PS3 says "Konami insider"
Monday 14-May-2007 10:32 AM The PS3 version to be noticeably superior to the 360 offering, rumours suggest
14 Comments
A supposed Konami insider has posted claims on a Korean games forum that the upcoming Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 will be noticeably better on PS3 than on 360.

The post, which appeared on Ruliweb (and translated here), claims that the PS3 version of everybody's favourite footy sim will receive huge enhancements afforded by the large capacity of the Blu-Ray format.

The game is said to use 18GB of space on the disc (Xbox 360's dual-layer DVDs offer 7GBs of usable storage space).

The post also claims that the PS3 version's 60fps frame-rate will better that of the 360.

We remain sceptical that the difference, if there is any, will be noticeable. Time will tell.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163859

A Winning Eleven game taking up 18GB? We'll see...

I'm just going to be the devils advocate to avoid a broken heart and say...that update is bogus.

Also, I'm going to say...the PES 07 being three times better, is probably bogus as well.

Then again, if either is true I'll put a foot in my mouth and cry from joy. Apparently, Leah wasn't the only one to edit the post, SCEA, at one time, was, but that information was "deleted" and replaced with "edited by Pegasus". He's an Admin Assistant. Who knows! Sounds kinda odd...

Also, I'm going to say...the PES 07 being three times better, is probably bogus as well.

I going to have to agree. While I don't doubt PES7 will have the PS3 as the lead platform (and probably have better looking things like shadows and maybe less jaggies), I can't see anyone making an 18GB soccer game. What the heck are you going to fill it up with? Higher res textures? A billion extra stadiums? CGI? Padding?

:crazy:

I can see a lot of customizations in PEs7/winning Eleven 10, the ability to create your own team with your own logo, jerseys, players and even your own stadium, but I really doubt i will take up that much space. But we'll wait and see.

Now this is rather interesting (and peaked the X-files/conspiracy side of me), I spend a bit of time over at the official Sony Playstation boards (the largest on-line community of Xbox trolls on the web) and normally the mods leave any speculation alone and just don't comment on it.

Well the thread relating to this apparent 2.0 firmware update was removed totally from the boards, when a thread was posted asking why, this was the reply from one of the moderating team....

Hey all,

I can confirm that 2.00 upgrade features listed are unconfirmed and haven't been corroborated so the list has been removed.

Regards,

Cnn

...the thread asking why also contained a link to the original source of these rumours and this link was removed with the reason given that it was "inappropriate content".

Source for all the above - http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=88998 (if this one lasts any longer than the last thread)

Is it just me or does this seem to be a tad of an over-reaction, and if so, then why?

The only other reason I can think of is that the original source seemed to indicate that the person who first posted this info/claim is (or was) a Sony employee.

The plot thickens.....

Scaff

I've just reported this last post... we know who you are, and you're entering a world of pain if you wish to continue

Back