PS3 General Discussion

Aaaaanyway, I know it's not exactly a primo title, and it is moderately entertaining. I also played the Baseball demo and I like the way you use the SIXAXIS motion sensing to strike the ball (or not as the case may be). I hit two home runs on consecutive shots and then bombed for the rest of the game.
So you played a normal game of baseball then.

Hmm.

PLAYSTATION®Network upgrade: Tuesday 08 May

Over the next few weeks, some new and exciting changes will take place in the PLAYSTATION®Store. In preparation for this, both PLAYSTATION®Network and PLAYSTATION®Store need to be taken offline for a short while to allow us to carry out the upgrade and maintenance work.

This is scheduled to take place between 16:00 and 19:00 BST (17:00-20:00 CEST) on Tuesday 8th May 2007.

If you are already logged into an online game during this time, you will most likely find that you can continue playing as normal, but you will not be able to log in or start a new game until full service has been restored. You will also not be able to access the Store during this maintenance window.

We are hoping to complete this work in as short a time as possible and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. But remember that these enhancements are paving the way for new and exciting content that we have planned for the Store!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153820

I wonder what the changes are...

If you are already logged into an online game during this time, you will most likely find that you can continue playing as normal, but you will not be able to log in or start a new game until full service has been restored. You will also not be able to access the Store during this maintenance window.
Well, at least they don't cut you off like XBL does...

Why do so many people believe that the PS3 is so unreliable? While I was at school today, I told this kid that I wanted an Xbox 360. He has one, and Im looking into buying one. I then told him that I have a Playstation 3. He followed that with this: "Yea they are really cool, if you can get them to work.". I then said, "What are you talking about??". He said that "sooo many people" have had problems with ps3's melting disks and overheating. I told him that "soooo many people" (including me) have their PS3's constantly running Folding at Home for days and days at the time, and that the systems still feel normal temperature to the touch.

When are people going to stop making this stupid stuff up? I really just dont get it.

NeoGAF has a loooong thread on dead 360's so really if anything is unreliable it's the 360. Of course the PS3 has only been out barely 7 months and there have been some faults (in the UK a few are unhappy with the fan noise though my PS3 is fine) but generally it's a reliable and well made piece of kit.
I think some people spout BS out of insecurity.

NeoGAF has a loooong thread on dead 360's so really if anything is unreliable it's the 360. Of course the PS3 has only been out barely 7 months and there have been some faults (in the UK a few are unhappy with the fan noise though my PS3 is fine) but generally it's a reliable and well made piece of kit.
I think some people spout BS out of insecurity.

I feel the same way. They dislike the PS3 for whatever reason and then make ridiculous claims about it. Makes me mad because no one really acknowledges the fact that its a very good system.

IMO, either people are mis-reading information, or make up excuses because they cannot afford one themselves...

And I agree with the fan noise. It's on par with a 360, minus the whirring of the DVD drive... I bet they put cheaper ones in there for PALs to reduce cost, along with the emotion chip. Unless there are other reasons I haven't thought about.

So does anyone know exactly whats going on with PSN and the store today? I'm at work so I cant check and all I know is that it's some sort of maintenance

He said that "sooo many people" have had problems with ps3's melting disks and overheating.

Based on a very bad personal experience with two (2) faulty XBOX360s....both returned to Best Buy, and none whatsoever with my PS3, I believe that your buddy has his consoles reversed.

The 360 is the one that chewed up my disks, ran way too hot (when they worked), and sounded like an airplane that was about to take off.

Based on a very bad personal experience with two (2) faulty XBOX360s....both returned to Best Buy, and none whatsoever with my PS3, I believe that your buddy has his consoles reversed.

The 360 is the one that chewed up my disks, ran way too hot (when they worked), and sounded like an airplane that was about to take off.

Yes and that seems to be the general consensus, but no one, and I mean virtually no one at my school believes me when I tell them that. It pisses me off.

So does anyone know exactly whats going on with PSN and the store today? I'm at work so I cant check and all I know is that it's some sort of maintenance

Don't know.

Speaking of the PS Store, Rampart has been confirmed for Thursday, and the Euros will get Go Puzzle as well. Don't know whether Go Puzzle will have a time exclusive to Europe like Super Rub a Dub, though.

Oh, and Calling all Cars should be out on Thursday as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

bought gone in 60 seconds on blueray today, thought i would do my bit to the blue ray market and hopefully help get some more titles launched. More sales = more money = more reason to release it.

Who has had trouble with a PS3? ive had plenty of people bring back xbox 360's but i dont think ive had 1 PS3 come back due to being faulty yet.

G.T
IMO, either people are mis-reading information, or make up excuses because they cannot afford one themselves...

And I agree with the fan noise. It's on par with a 360, minus the whirring of the DVD drive... I bet they put cheaper ones in there for PALs to reduce cost, along with the emotion chip. Unless there are other reasons I haven't thought about.

Famines PS3 was a mouse compared to what my 360 sounded like, particularly bad in the Xbox when you started a game up.

Famines PS3 was a mouse compared to what my 360 sounded like, particularly bad in the Xbox when you started a game up.
Well, the school hall was big, so you probably didn't hear it too much. Mine's in a small room, so it's amplified...

Oh, and it takes a long while for the fans to spin to full speed. They only do when you're playing a game - watching movies and that doesn't seem to make my fans spin too hard.

Im worried about people saying the ps3's fan is noisy... it was meant to be as quiet as a slimline PS2 and the early PS3's seemed to be ultra quiet, I hope they are not cheapening it already because I don't want worse parts for the same price, I better buy one quick... I hope I can find an older NTSC one because they seem to be quite reliable.

G.T
Well, the school hall was big, so you probably didn't hear it too much. Mine's in a small room, so it's amplified...

Oh, and it takes a long while for the fans to spin to full speed. They only do when you're playing a game - watching movies and that doesn't seem to make my fans spin too hard.

If the PS3 is as loud as the 360 is then you'd have heard it, when I was sat down I was only about 3 feet from the machine.

Yes and that seems to be the general consensus, but no one, and I mean virtually no one at my school believes me when I tell them that. It pisses me off.
Ask them where they heard that it has problems. Find a few gaming sites where people are complaining and show them that it is the way you say it is and challenge them. Someone mentioned Neogaf, so check there first. Heck you can even show them the story from 1up that John Davison wrote about his PS3 coming on and overheating his 360 while it just sat there without a problem.

Better yet, it is just fanboyism. Ignore it like you would if someone said Gran Turismo is the least realistic racing game out there. Honestly, unless you own stock in Sony or have a job working for them on PS3 design you have no reason to take offense. They are probably trying to make fun of you for having something different than them. Just ask them what games they think will be using the HD-DVD format. They will either suddenly be the ones offended or try to lie and claim that some will be, assuming they even know what you are talking about.

So far my PS3 is fine apart from the mentioned problems but they are very minor indeed. In not way is the fan noisy especially compared to the 360 (I was gob smacked when I first heard one in my living room) and the heat dispelled from the PS3 is not too hot either, I think that allot of people place them in a crouded AV rack or under the TV with a billion other things and give it not breathing room, since PS1 its always had its own shelf with plenty of space around it to breath.

On another note do any of you find the played against list only updated with people who you played against in resistance or have you noticed any other games?

Games tried

Resistance = yes
RR7 = No
F1 = Havent tried
Tiger woods '07= No
Motor storm = No

havent got around to trying any other game yet, I also noticed tha_con's score on blast factor the other day, well done 👍

Does anybody have a link to an article that shows screenshot of a standard DVD vs a screenshot of blue-ray?

Does anybody have a link to an article that shows screenshot of DVD vs a screenshot of blue-ray?
DVD:

dvd-r_apa-h_120m-dw.jpg

Blu-ray:

blu%20ray.jpg

[/smartass]

so has anyone else tried the Gameshark keyboard that snaps onto the top of the controller? It looks a lot like the soon to be released 360 controller and costs $30.00. Early impressions are good and I imagine it will only become more useful as new features and games bow, it uses AAA batteries and has its own separate wireless usb plug so it can be used completely separate from the controller if you want...

so has anyone else tried the Gameshark keyboard that snaps onto the top of the controller? It looks a lot like the soon to be released 360 controller and costs $30.00. Early impressions are good and I imagine it will only become more useful as new features and games bow, it uses AAA batteries and has its own separate wireless usb plug so it can be used completely separate from the controller if you want...

For 30 bucks, I might try that. On a similar note, while I was at Wal-Mart the other day, in the PS3 section, they had PS3 Intercoolers. Cool I guess, but pretty much useless. I dont see them making much money off of those.

Back