PS3 General Discussion

How many PS Stores are there?

I think this thread should be locked, since it's 398 pages for PS3, when there is a whole part for it. This thread could be splitted into at least 50 threads. But maybe thats just me?

I think this thread should be locked, since it's 398 pages for PS3, when there is a whole part for it. This thread could be splitted into at least 50 threads. But maybe thats just me?
That's precisely the reason why this thread exists, because there is plenty of topics for discussion that don't necessarily merit a thread on their own. That way, more significant threads remain visible in the forum for longer, and this thread serves its purpose...

That's precisely the reason why this thread exists, because there is plenty of topics for discussion that don't necessarily merit a thread on their own. That way, more significant threads remain visible in the forum for longer, and this thread serves its purpose...

When you put it that way... so this is just for quick questions or quick discussions that would turn into a 4-5 post thread then sink very fast (like a thread i created a few days ago). I get it now :)👍

How many PS Stores are there?

You mean like the following thread where your question would be best posted in:
I agree though with what you are saying, the problem is that many people just post in here rather than take just a few seconds to look through some of the other threads in the PS3 forum to post a question... or for that matter, read the posts in the appropriate thread to find the answer they are looking for. ;)

The reality though is that this thread has a ton of very useful info. However, for the most part, much of it is "lost", as it often wont even be found using the search engine, where as information that has been posted in specifically related threads is far more easy to find.

That said, as a quick place to share a brief discussion on topics that are not popular, and/or do not yet have a dedicated thread on the subject, this "General Discussion" thread certainly still holds a lot of value. 👍

DWA
What do you guys think of this for $30? worth it?
I think a wireless keyboard might be cheaper, but this is definitely a cheaper deal than the official $80 keyboard.

If the return policy is good and you don't want a bulky keyboard cluttering up space then go for it. Worst case scenario is you send it back and get a refund.

Well. what I like about it is the size which no keyboard is going to have unless it's one of those flexible keyboards. Anything is better than using the on screen keyboard. Granted the PS3's is at least smarter than the 360's.

I have that exact keyboard and it works great, I don't use it too often during games but it doesn't feel too awkward on the controller and I would definitely consider it as an alternative to a full keyboard/mouse setup

DON'T BUY THE JOYTECH COMPOSITE CABLES!!!

They suck something wicked. Whenever it's just a black screen you see heaps of purple lines and when playing games it is like watching it through gravle. Im going to try and return it today and get a madcat's one:(

Thank's for the postal codes guy's i'll go on in the weekend and get GT:HD:D

I downloaded the gt5:P video last night anyway and it look's pretty good. But with the Joytrech cable my 360 looks ALOT better.

Oh and is there a way to lock the console at 1080P? I want to try F1:CE in 1080P rather then 720P

I'll join the folding at home thing aswell, but i probably won't use it as i don't have a computer or jetstream(I use my grandparents computer)

Also, My memory stick won't work on it? I put it in then press info and it can detect all the pic's, vid's and music but as soon as i try and look at them it can't find any...

All the files are J-peg, WMV and WMA....

Sorry for the double post:(

They suck something wicked. Whenever it's just a black screen you see heaps of purple lines and when playing games it is like watching it through gravle. Im going to try and return it today and get a madcat's one:(
I don't recommend the use of ANY composite cable... but just out of curiosity, if you absolutely had to use composite, why didn't you use the one that came with the PS3?

Anyway, if your TV has DVI or HDMI use that instead. If not, then see if it has a component input and use that if it does... keep in mind, switching between diferent types (not makes) of cables will also generally require some basic video calibration of the display. 👍

Oh and is there a way to lock the console at 1080P? I want to try F1:CE in 1080P rather then 720P
PS3's XMB: Settings > Display Settings > Video Output Settings

Keep in mind, to output in 1080p you'll have to use either HDMI/DVI or component.

Also, it is generally a good idea to set the output to match the native resolution of the display. So if your TV is 720p, setting the output on the PS3 to 1080p isn't going to give you any added resolution than if it was set to output in 720p, because while most 720p TV's can "accept/support" 1080i/p, they must then downscale it to match the native resolution of the display, which in this case would be 1280x720 (or for many LCD's and Plasma’s 1366x768).

Hope that helps. 👍

press triangle over the desired media and then select display all, should show you everything you have on that particular device and give you access depending on what type of media it is

Keep in mind, to output in 1080p you'll have to use either HDMI/DVI or component.

Stupid question but when viewing a Blu Ray DVD does it have to be via hdmi to get the 1080p quality? If not I guess it's the 300 film and that annoying "noise" they added though out the film. :grumpy:

DWA
Stupid question but when viewing a Blu Ray DVD does it have to be via hdmi to get the 1080p quality? If not I guess it's the 300 film and that annoying "noise" they added though out the film. :grumpy:
Just a few posts up...

👍

Also in that post above it will tell you that if you do not have a 1080p display then outputting the PS3 to 1080p wont add resolution to the images. You will always be limited by the native resolution of the display, not the output of the PS3.

So, I guess it is the 300 blu ray dvd? because I wasn't impressed honestly... Here's to hoping the Fifth Element redeems it.

DWA
So, I guess it is the 300 blu ray dvd? because I wasn't impressed honestly... Here's to hoping the Fifth Element redeems it.

HighdefDigest Review for 300

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture (4 out of 5)

'300' comes to Blu-ray and HD DVD as easily the most anticipated next-gen release of the summer. The surprise $200 million-plus blockbuster is, if nothing else, total CGI spectacle, so expectations are understandably through-the-roof that this will be the demo disc for every self-respecting home theater enthusiast.

Well, I'm going to put on my flame-proof suit and say that because the film has been so intentionally processed and "degraded," its very nature just doesn't lend itself to the kind of truly eye-popping and ultra-realistic high-def that I've come to equate with the term reference quality. Yes, I know that this is the way the film is "supposed to look," but when you're dealing with a source that is so over-contrasted and "crushed down" -- not to mention intensely desaturated and laced with so much video noise that it seems like a swarm of mosquitoes has infested your television -- for me, the "wow!" factor is lessened considerably.

Warner presents both the Blu-ray and HD DVD versions with identical 1080p/VC-1 encodes in the film's original 2.40:1 projected aspect ratio, and if nothing else, this is a very accurate reproduction of the theatrical experience of '300' (at least the one I saw projected digitally at a flagship theater here in Los Angeles).

As director Zack Snyder makes abundantly clear in the included supplements, he intended to jack up the film's contrast and burn down the blacks to better approximate the look of the graphic novel. As such, this high-def presentation of '300' is predictably flat, with most detail drained from the shadows and highlights lost in a blaze of hot whites. Even exaggerated textures (such as extreme close-ups of flesh, rocky surfaces, etc.) look soft and indistinct.

Colors, as well, are intentionally muted, with an almost sepia-toned hue that turns fleshtones into copper and eliminates much of the color spectrum except for deeper blues and browns. Adding to the film's 2-D feel is the fact that the majority of the backgrounds are animated, with the live action shot in front of a blue screen. Finally, a computer-generated "film grain" has been added to the mix, which gives the image a final coating of jumpiness, with obvious noise in every shot.

Yet, despite all this intentional degradation, there is also an undeniable beauty to the rough grandeur of '300's visuals. Sort of like a Pixar flick on steroids (without the talking animals), the crushed look Snyder intended gives many of the shots great power because they are so simple -- exactly like comic book panels come to life. The obvious computer-generated landscapes his digital artists have created also give it that dazzling, pixilated eye-candy look of the coolest videogames.

All things considered, I still found watching '300' an often less-than thrilling experience on a purely subjective level of wanting to enjoy a good-looking, awe-inspiring high-def image. But as a representation of the film's style, there's no debating that this Blu-ray edition of '300' delivers -- so much so that even for high-def purist like myself, it's possible to ignore the film's intentionally degraded visual design and just enjoy the ride.

The Audio: Rating the Sound (5 out of 5)

Unlike the video, I have absolutely no reservations about the audio on this disc. '300' is a real high-resolution scorcher. This is the kind of film that has such barn-stormin' sound design that any caveats I might have are washed away by the sheer bombastic thrill of it all.

Warner has supplied both next-gen editions with matching Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround tracks (48kHz/16-bit), but this Blu-ray is also graced with an additional PCM 5.1 surround option (48kHz/16-bit/6.9mbps). Right upfront, the PCM sounded a bit louder, but after some level matching, a direct A/B comparison of several scenes revealed only slight differences. Although I'm sure this disc will stir up the whole TrueHD vs PCM debate, either way you slice it, the action scenes in '300' deliver the kind of demo-worthy audio that should be pure nirvana for any home theater enthusiast.

Dynamics are incredibly aggressive, with heart-stopping low bass that gave my subwoofer as good a workout as any next-gen disc I've ever heard. Since the majority of '300's soundtrack was created entirely in the studio, the cleanliness and clarity of the entire frequency range is startlingly lifelike and real. The "wall of sound" effect is in full force, with discrete effects in the rears wonderfully immersive and sustained. Imaging between channels is seamless, so crank up the volume and you'll be treated to the kind of rare, in-your-face 360-degree home theater soundfield that's second only to what you'll find in the actual cinema. Dialogue is also perfectly balanced -- again, no surprise given that almost the entire movie was looped.

Okay, I'll admit that I have certainly heard better sustained mood on other next-gen discs -- the quieter moments (mostly during the first half) definitely could have used a bit more oomph in the rears. But sonically speaking, a movie like '300' isn't about people talking to each other -- it's about aural spectacle, and when those swords start clashing, this one knocks it totally out of the park.

Composite (yellow, red, white) or component (red, green, blue)? Composite should have come with the system.

I'll join the folding at home thing aswell, but i probably won't use it as i don't have a computer or jetstream(I use my grandparents computer)
You don't need a computer, the PS3 will do it. It should be under the network menu on the XMB. If you can get your PS3 online then you can do Folding@Home. When I am finished playing games, watching movies, listening to music, whatever I click it on and hook up my controller to charge. I also have it set to come on after a few minutes so that if I need to walk away for something it kind of acts as a screensaver, or will kick on if I just forget to turn it on.

Also, My memory stick won't work on it? I put it in then press info and it can detect all the pic's, vid's and music but as soon as i try and look at them it can't find any...
Not having any memory sticks myself, I can't be sure, but it sounds like you may need to format it into a Fat 32 format or something? Or try the view all option listed above.

All the files are J-peg, WMV and WMA....
Well, it won't play WMVs, and I'm unsure about WMA because any I get I automatically convert to MP3. It shouldn't have any trouble with the JPGs though.

DWA
So far the couple of Blu-Ray movies I have watched on my SDTV are noticeably different, but nothing astounding. It just appears very, very clear and crisp with little to no video noise.

I have 300 set up to come in from Netflix next (although there is a very long wait on it), so I will let you know how it turns out when I watch it.

Let me knwo how Fifth Element does, as that is a movie I don't have on DVD and would like to own, so it may be a nice first Blu-Ray purchase.

DWA

I don't know how true this is, but the Fifth Element is supposed to be a bit ropey in places in HD. Apparently it didn't like the upscaling transition as well as other older films.

While I'm talking Blu-ray - Ghost Rider looks amazing! Most people I know slated it, saying it was a really crap film. But if you want a fun movie with a cracking soundtrack (the horse and bike ride through the desert is out of this world!) you'll love this!

Sony has or had a Fifth Element exchange program, where you could send it to them and they would send you a better version. The new version is distinguished by its new cover. I can see a possible recall of 300 Blu ray discs if Sony did it. And its a popular movie, that will be more people to complain.

Well geez... screw buying any more blu ray dvds and hd content if this is what the situation is. :mad:

The Fifth Element does have a different cover...

the-fifth-element.jpg

That better be the good one. 👎:grumpy:

DWA
Well geez... screw buying any more blu ray dvds and hd content if this is what the situation is. :mad:
Before getting your pannies in a twist, be sure you even understand the situation. Besides, this same problem has been happening for the last fifty years on Broadcast transfers, Beta transfers, VHS transfers, DVD transfers, and so on. The point is at least it is extremely rare on Blu-ray and HD DVD, and at least Sony is offering a free exchange... so take a chill pill. ;)

I can see a possible recall of 300 Blu ray discs if Sony did it. And its a popular movie, that will be more people to complain.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with either the Blu-ray or HD DVD transfer for 300. As discussed in the review I posted, and in other reviews, and in reviews of the actual film print, this is how the director wanted the film to look. The only way it's going to look different is if Zack Snyder remakes the film. Personally, I love the stylistic choices he made to give it that look, although I would have preferred he not added the film grain effects, as it just isn't necessary in this day and age, and detracts from the overall image quality... but if you have an issue with it, take it up with the director, not Warner Bros.

I don't know how true this is, but the Fifth Element is supposed to be a bit ropey in places in HD. Apparently it didn't like the upscaling transition as well as other older films.
Sony screwed up the first release (very poorly made transfer from a previous HD master), but has since fixed it with an entirely new transfer from a new HD master. 👍

Unfortunately Sony didn't make it easy to tell the original and now discontinued edition from the new edition.
The box art for both editions is almost identical, but here is how you can tell them apart:

OLD
  • Gray Lettering for "Experience High Definition"
  • UPC# = 043396-150188
NEW
  • Silver Lettering for "Experience High Definition"
  • Dolby TrueHD is listed among the audio tracks on the back of the box
  • UPC# = 043396-215207
if you have the old edition, don't panic. Sony has a "Replacement Exchange Program" for this title. Originally the instructions from Sony was to contact the company via the email address or phone number listed below, and provide your name, mailing address, and phone number.
Following that, the instructions they gave were to return your disc (case not needed) to the following address:
  • SPHE Consumer Support
  • PO Box 157
  • Neenah, WI 54957
  • Attn: 755398
And to be sure to include your return address (no PO Boxes) and a copy of the email response from Sony.

Once they have received the disc and correct information, then they will ship you the new edition via Fed Ex Ground.

Now these instructions may have changed over the last month, but if so, I’m sure they will let you know when you contact them.

Now to give you an idea how drastic a difference the two are in terms of video quality, here are excerpts from High-Def Digest's reviews of both editions:

Original Edition

Introduction

Did I pick the wrong movie for my first Blu-ray review? As any self-respecting tech-geek knows, the first disc you choose to fire up in a new format can be akin to a religious experience. I can still vividly recall all of my "firsts" -- the first LP I ever bought, the first CD, the first VHS tape, the first Laserdisc, and (of course) my first DVD. So it goes now with Blu-ray. And coming only a mere two months after the launch of HD DVD, it has been a bit of an embarrassment of riches -- when was the last time two major new consumer electronics formats launched so close together?

Anyway, for my inaugural Blu-ray experience, I went with 'The Fifth Element.' Not, honestly, because I love the movie, but because it has long been regarded as one of the finest-looking standard DVDs out there. So I figured the Blu-ray version must be a home run, right? Well, not so fast. Unfortunately, as you'll find out later on down in the video section, this one didn't quite meet my expectations. So I apologize upfront that what may be the first Blu-ray disc review you read won't be an unequivocal, five-star rave. That said, this is only one of many, many Blu-ray titles to come, and we all know you can't judge a new format just by one disc.

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture (2.5 out of 5)

Okay, here it comes -- the big question. Does Blu-ray deliver the visual goods? Can it match (or even beat) its high-def rival HD DVD?

Of course this is just one title, my first title, so I can't judge the format unequivocally, but bottom line, 'The Fifth Element' is just not the best HD I've seen, compared to both HD DVD and even over-the-air HD broadcasts.

To be sure, this is a good-looking picture if you're not too critical. Among its positives are some vivid and clean colors. Reds, especially, really pop, and I also loved all the vibrant purples and greens. Contrast is also nicely rendered, with solid blacks and clean whites. In fact, I bet the average consumer who might see this disc up and running at their local Best Buy might even think it's pretty darn swell.

However, upon closer inspection, there are some clear deficiencies that keep this one from hitting a homer -- or even a solid triple. Though not as noticeable perhaps on the standard DVD releases (even the Superbit), 'The Fifth Element' looks oddly soft in HD, with a lack of detail and three-dimensionality that ranks it as not-quite-demo material in the high-def sweepstakes.

This all gives the image a much flatter look than I've become used to on HD -- what I expected would be eye-poppingly three-dimensional throughout just plain isn't. Oftentimes, I felt like I was just watching a standard DVD upconverted to 1080i -- good, but kinda fake-looking. Indeed, when I compared the Blu-ray version of 'The Fifth Element' to the Superbit upconverted (both via my Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray deck), the difference was not nearly as apparent as it has been between most of the HD DVD and DVD releases I've compared.

Adding insult to injury, the print is also a bit dirty in spots, which really surprised me.

To be fair to Blu-ray, although the video on this disc is clearly sub-standard, the fat lady has far from sung. I briefly sampled a few of Sony's other launch titles before finishing my assessment of this one, and all appeared to deliver superior video quality even at a mere glance.

One final mention. Unlike Toshiba's first-generation HD DVD players, the Samsung BD-P1000 is capable of outputting full 1080p (at 30 fps only) via its HDMI output. However, again, without the same title available on both Blu-ray and HD DVD, nor a 1080p-capable HD DVD player on the market, it is simply unfair to try and proclaim one format superior to the other. Until we can compare apples to apples, raw technical specs indicate that both formats should be able to deliver the same high level of video quality, at least when the playing field is level.

New Edition

Introduction

Perhaps the most eagerly anticipated of Sony's seven inaugural Blu-ray releases back in June of 2006, 'The Fifth Element' was expected to be the first of many standard-bearers for Blu-ray. A sci-fi barnstormer packed with plenty of home theater eye candy, the title seemed certain to show off high-def's top-notch video and audio to full effect.

Unfortunately, as has now become legend, that didn't happen. Instead, 'The Fifth Element' on Blu-ray looked little better than upconverted standard-def, and was quickly trounced upon by early adopters and critics alike (myself included). Over time, the title came to represent Blu-ray's less than stellar early days on the market.

A year later, the format's fortunes have certainly turned around. Not only has Blu-ray more than redeemed itself with scores of quality high-def releases, but over the course of the first six months of 2007, it has come from behind to beat its high-def rival in overall disc sales by two-to-one.

I suppose it's appropriate then, that Sony would choose this moment in time to revisit 'The Fifth Element' as the Blu-ray format's first-ever reissued disc, complete with remastered video, and a brand new Dolby TrueHD audio track. In a most unusual move, the studio is even offering a free disc exchange program to those who felt cheated the first time around.

So after over a year of bad buzz, does this new edition of 'The Fifth Element' right all the wrongs of the previous Blu-ray release? Read on...

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture (4.5 out of 5)

As promised, Sony has gone back to the drawing board with the video for this re-issue, and it's clear from the get-go that this is not just another serving of damaged goods.

In addition to striking a brand new master, the studio has doubled its pleasure from a BD-25 single-layer disc to a BD-50 dual-layer disc, and has switched from the earlier MPEG-2 encode to a brand new AVC MPEG-4 encode.

Since the original Blu-ray release of 'The Fifth Element' has been so resoundingly denounced by both fans and reviewers, there is no need to rub much more salt in the wound. In short, while it wasn't a total disaster, the print was surprisingly dirty, softness was rampant, compression artifacts and noise were frequent, and more often than not, the Blu-ray just looked like poorly upconverted standard-definition.

Even at first glance, this re-master is head and shoulders above its predecessor. The source print, the colors, the detail -- this is finally the real high-def deal 'Fifth Element' fans have been waiting for.

The most noteworthy improvement is undoubtedly detail and sharpness. The original Blu-ray release looked soft and woefully lacking in fine texture. Though close-ups benefit the most on this new version, the improved clarity of the image is apparent even on medium- and long- shots. Shadow delineation is also boosted, so minor details in clothing, set design and even some of the digital effects that were lost before in the murk are now are much more clearly visible. Depth is also improved -- it is not exponential but certainly noticeable. Lastly, all those dreaded compression problems have been eradicated -- this AVC MPEG-4 encode looks smooth throughout, and artifact-free.

After all the bad buzz for the older version, it's interesting to revisit that disc and remember that several aspects of the original edition were actually not all that bad. Doing a fresh compare between old and new, blacks on the original transfer hold up surprising well, and the new version is likewise consistently deep and pure. However, contrast is a bit better with the re-master -- whites seem a bit cleaner yet remain safe from blooming. Colors (which were also quite strong on the original release) appear to be even more robust -- reds, greens and purples in particular are noticeably more vivid and distinct. Some of the inconsistencies in tint have also now been rectified -- gone is the reddish cast, and I was particularly impressed with how much more accurate fleshtones are now, especially for a movie that is so highly stylized.

Are there any problems? Sure. The biggest issue is that there is some noticeable edge enhancement applied. It's certainly not the worst I've seen, but in an apparent effort to boost sharpness, some slight halos are clearly visible, and grain can be exacerbated as a result. Is this fatal? Not at all, but it does knock the video down a half-peg.

Still, a four-and-a-half star video rating for a ten year-old catalogue title is pretty darn impressive, and should rate as great high-def in anyone's book. Sony is definitely to be commended -- not only for returning to the scene of their past crimes and righting old wrongs, but also for providing this remaster absolutely free to those who purchased the old version.

About 300 I haven't seen it(blu ray) but during EGM's pod cast they were talking about the glitches and flashing shadows or whatever popping up. I remember how it looked in theaters so the grain look is normal.

Before getting your pannies in a twist, be sure you even understand the situation.

I guess I'm over reacting a bit for the new format and the problems they are having... Although I don't see how you can since it's just uping the quality of the picture there for the need for a bigger capacity disc.

Besides, this same problem has been happening for the last fifty years on Broadcast transfers, Beta transfers, VHS transfers, DVD transfers, and so on.

It's getting bucking old... Fine use a new format for higher storage capability and have them compete, but please, give me a friggin break about different disc formats. Put all the movies on BOTH formats and let the consumer decide. As long as they are doing this exclusivity crap it's all politics and will NEVER be about getting the best format to take over. Look at Game Consoles, obviously... it's $$.

Either way they had their chance during DVDs with wide screen vs full screen it's getting really old really fast... Most people probably STILL don't have a Widescreen tv too.

:rolleyes:

I have noticed something weird with the PS3 web browser - sometimes it takes for ever for a page to appear i.e. when you click a link... but, if you press L3 (which 'minimises' the page/shows all windows you have open), the page magically loads up - it does it practically every time (I can't say all the time since sometimes the page loads up anyway...) Am I making sense yet? Where's my beer?

Also, this character limit in the web browser dialogue box is bloody irritating. You can't even edit large posts :indiff: Also, you can't read the posts/private messages etc. that you are trying to reply to...

Back