PS3 General Discussion

Folklore is looking more and more impressive to me. Its pokemon type monters are very cool. And the fact that more will be available as DLC. It seems very similar to Castlevania in the soul collecting. They claim 20-30 hours of game play. A good number compared to Heavenly Swords claimed 15 or Gears of war's 10-12.

I would like them to release a demo for the US.

The DiRT demo was pretty good.

The framerate was smoother and the lighting was better than the 360 version. First game I've seen that's worth buying for the PS3 rather than the 360. 👍

Still not really my type of game though. Too arcady.

G.T

The framerate was smoother and the lighting was better than the 360 version. First game I've seen that's worth buying for the PS3 rather than the 360. 👍

Still not really my type of game though. Too arcady.

I agree, too acrady. But, I loved the menus and how the voice overs worked into them. Nice touch. I always wanted that for GT series.

Like you said, great graphics and framerate. I was impressed.

That NCAA football game was a huge joke. It looked horrible. I laughed my ass off at it, so at least I was entertained.

EA just sucks sooooooo bad.

Duċk;2742614
PS3 game release dates for Europe released

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gamefront/release.htm

09/12/07 - Warhawk (Incl. Headset Bundle) - € 61,95
09/19/07 - Heavenly Sword - € 71,95
10/10/07 - Folklore - € 71,95
10/24/07 - Lair - € 71,95
10/24/07 - The Eye of Judgement (incl. PS Eye, Trading Cards) € 102,95 (~ $136)
October - SingStar - € 102,95
Shame Warhawk and Heavenly Sword are coming out so close together. I'm thinking of getting Warhawk (partly because of the headset) but also because I'd like one good game with a strong online element (Resistance has that but I'm tired of it). And I think DiRT is coming out around the same time. At least there's some decent choice in September. But I'm only getting one (maybe Halo 3 as well. Depends on Bioshock keeping me entertained).

Duċk;2742614
PS3 game release dates for Europe released

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gamefront/release.htm

09/12/07 - Warhawk (Incl. Headset Bundle) - € 61,95
09/19/07 - Heavenly Sword - € 71,95
10/10/07 - Folklore - € 71,95
10/24/07 - Lair - € 71,95
10/24/07 - The Eye of Judgement (incl. PS Eye, Trading Cards) € 102,95 (~ $136)
October - SingStar - € 102,95
I'm in trouble. I promised my wife I wouldn't by anymore games until GT5:P came out. Between me wanting Warhawk and Lair and her wanting Heavenly Sword, plus she wants me to get Lair just so she can watch, that may be a broken promise.

Side Note: I converted my motion jpg avi files from my digital camera to Mp4 using PS3 Video 9 and it worked wonderfully, minus the fact that my computer doesn't recognize them, so it doesn't share them. My USB drive took care of that. I have to check their FAQ to see if I can fix it so they will share.

But now I have my Le Mans and various other vacation videos viewable on my PS3. :D

Whats up with those game prices. Is that typical in your neck of the woods?

I might get a cam just for the PS3 that records all videos in MP4..

G.T

Same here. The framerate was my biggest problem with the 360 version of DiRT... I'll be picking it up when I dust off my DFP for GT5P. 👍

Whats up with those game prices. Is that typical in your neck of the woods?
In the UK warhawk is £19.99 incl 17.5 VAT(that's around $39.60) on the PSN and £32.99 incl 17.5 VAT (around $65.36) at most stores (the headset version). Many online stores have Heavenly Sword for £32.99 as well though most are £39.99.
Dunno about Euros, we don't have them in the UK.

09/19/07 - Heavenly Sword
I think Heavenly Sword may actually be the 14th Sept as games are usually released on a Friday in the UK (it could be the 21st instead of course).

I just downloaded and played the DiRT demo and frankly this could have been such a good game but the handling is ridiculously arcady. I read others say it was arcady but I was hoping they were just being picky. :(

I may still buy it as it is good fun.

I just downloaded and played the DiRT demo and frankly this could have been such a good game but the handling is ridiculously arcady. I read others say it was arcady but I was hoping they were just being picky. :(

I may still buy it as it is good fun.

Yeah, I was disappointed by that originally, I was hoping for a more "connected to the ground" feeling like RalliSport 2 or MotorStorm, but it's fun nonetheless.

DiRT version 2 is already in the works and it is supposed to take care of all user complaints, including such things as the over-braking problem and G25 issues. So if the current demo doesn't ding your fenders, then just wait for the second release.

Cheers,

MasterGT

I loved DiRT. It was so much fun, and yes, it is a little too arcady, but the sound, graphics, and damage are more than enough to make up for it!

WOW i just discovered you can pull stuff from a memory stick and burn it onto your PS3.

Sorry, just had to say how amazing/Awsome i found that...

Bloody hell, I'm annoyed. Finally had a go at media sharing with my PC on my PS3 (mainly for all the music I have). But as far as my PS3 is concerned it does not support the data type. It's WMA and it is turned on in the System Menu of my PS3. Could the problem be I recorded my music onto my PC as Windows Media Audio Losslss?
Saying that I can't see any of my pictures either. With the music I see the name and info of the tracks etc but with my pics nothing. Simply says "there are no tracks"? I must be doing something wrong. Is there a thread about media server connection? :confused:
I looked at the online manual and it was no help at all.

Edit: Okay, my bad. I got the pics thing wrong. I tried viewing them whilst in the music section! However music is not playing ball. Does this mean I have to re-record all my music onto my PC just so my PS3 can play it? God that's so freakin' annoying. I probably won't do it. It took me months. I have around 90 GB of music on my PC!!

Edit: Okay, tried on my 360 and the music plays fine. Why not my PS3?

But as far as my PS3 is concerned it does not support the data type. It's WMA and it is turned on in the System Menu of my PS3. Could the problem be I recorded my music onto my PC as Windows Media Audio Losslss?

Edit: Okay, tried on my 360 and the music plays fine. Why not my PS3?
I know the PS3 doesn't like WMVs but I haven't had a try with WMA. If I had to guess it is because it is Microsoft's encoding and the PS3 just doesn't like it. Try moving it straight to teh hard drive using a memory card or USB drive and see if it can read them that way.

You shouldn't have to rerecord any of it, just convert. I make everything MP3s just because everything will play those.

I think Media Player and Winamp will convert it for you, maybe even iTunes. If they won't there are plenty of free programs out there. For video I use PS3 Video 9, but I don't know if it will convert audio files. But if you have any videos I suggest checking into the above program.

Just Google for an audio converter and you will find plenty of them out there. I suggest for future use sticking to MP3 for audio just because it is accepted by everyone. In my experience all other formats have a habit of being proprietary and make use across multiple platforms difficult.

Right now I am looking for a good media server that will recognize MP4s because WMP11 doesn't. How convenient.

Thanks.
Well, it should work on the PS3 theoretically as there is an option to have WMA playback on the PS3 in the System settings options (at least I assume that's what WMA stands for). Maybe like you said it's "protected" or the PS3 can't read it being streamed.
I think I have a WMA to MP3 converter software but I can't convert 90GB's worth of WMA to MP3, I don't have the HDD space on my PC (though I could delete the WMA stuff, I guess). Oh well, I'll see.

Thanks.
Well, it should work on the PS3 theoretically as there is an option to have WMA playback on the PS3 in the System settings options (at least I assume that's what WMA stands for). Maybe like you said it's "protected" or the PS3 can't read it being streamed.
I think I have a WMA to MP3 converter software but I can't convert 90GB's worth of WMA to MP3, I don't have the HDD space on my PC (though I could delete the WMA stuff, I guess). Oh well, I'll see.
I know it says it can read them, but I can't testify to how this should work without having WMAs myself.

With your constraint issues I see two quick options.
1) Convert and delete the WMAs as you go.
2) Convert and copy just the stuff you listen to most to the PS3 over Media Sharing then delete the MP3s from your PC.

A possible third option is converting and burning them to a data disc to load into your PS3 when you want to listen, although this will prevent any in-game music if any developers take advantage of that ability and won't give you access to everything at once.

You could also just get an external drive to put them on. That's how I store and share all my videos and music. I only have a small bit actually on the PC. This would be a non-quick option and will cost extra money.

Another question is if you are using Media Player 11 as your server software? That could be the hold up. Try copying a file over to the PS3 hard drive and see if it will read them that way. If so it could just be a matter of downloading a better server software, which is where I am at right now. Using WMP11 was quick and easy, but it is definitely limited as to how much you can do.

EDIT: Actually this may be your best option as I just remembered while researching that many media server programs will convert on the fly as you stream it through your PS3, stereo whatever. No converters needed.

Well the PS3 doesn't play WMA, at least not Lossless WMA. I'm going to try ripping a track at @128kbps. If that doesn't work I'll get some other software that'll convert on the fly. Thanks!👍
Oh and I am using WMP11. But first I'll see if the PS3 can play WMA at all.

Edit: I did a quick test and WMA plays okay at 128kbps. It seems the PS3 can't handle Lossless WMA though the 360 does. So I have two choices; re-rip my music so it plays @128(160 too I assume)kbps or try another media server program and see if converting it on the fly makes it work.

Well the PS3 doesn't play WMA, at least not Lossless WMA. I'm going to try ripping a track at @128kbps. If that doesn't work I'll get some other software that'll convert on the fly. Thanks!👍
Oh and I am using WMP11. But first I'll see if the PS3 can play WMA at all.

Edit: I did a quick test and WMA plays okay at 128kbps. It seems the PS3 can't handle Lossless WMA though the 360 does. So I have two choices; re-rip my music so it plays @128(160 too I assume)kbps or try another media server program and see if converting it on the fly makes it work.
Just google PS3 media server softare. I know I was given a few good suggestion from PS3forums and a few other places.

I think I may go with Nero because I have a trial OEM deal that came with my DVD burner and they are offering 45% off their compilation software package that includes a photo editor, video, editor, media server and a bunch of other stuff I wouldn't mind having, just for entering my OEM code.

If you just want the media server though there are plenty of free programs out there.

Apparently Ghost Reacon 2 is out for ps3 today, has anyone got it, is it even in stores yet? what is it like and does it have any of the issues that vegas had on the ps3?.... because right now the only game im thinking of buying is vegas so its a toss up between the two. Ive heard that there is a PSN demo of graw 2, could someone tell me what the graphics, gameplay is like...

I guess with GRAW2 is that you get more of an open area combat and more combat action rather than stealth.

Is vegas good on ps3?, I heard the graphics are not as good, and there is an issue with 1080p, is it really worth it because its what im most likely to buy with the ps3?

I really cant decide! can anyone help?

Thanks,

Robin

Apparently Ghost Reacon 2 is out for ps3 today, has anyone got it, is it even in stores yet? what is it like and does it have any of the issues that vegas had on the ps3?.... because right now the only game im thinking of buying is vegas so its a toss up between the two. Ive heard that there is a PSN demo of graw 2, could someone tell me what the graphics, gameplay is like...

I guess with GRAW2 is that you get more of an open area combat and more combat action rather than stealth.

Is vegas good on ps3?, I heard the graphics are not as good, and there is an issue with 1080p, is it really worth it because its what im most likely to buy with the ps3?

I really cant decide! can anyone help?

Thanks,

Robin
Simple. Buy the PS3, go home, download the GRAW2 demo, as well as all the others you might be interested in, and then pick. If you decide the GRAW2 demo doesn't do it for you then bu Vegas on the cheap.

And I thought the GRAW2 and DiRT demos were both fun. My only issue with GRAW2 was that I am not big on playing squad based fighters like that single player. They make great multiplayer, but as a single player game I only like squad commands in an RTS. That's just a personal preference though.

Anyway, you don't have to buy a game when you buy the PS3. I didn't. I went home, set it up online, downloaded GTHD and actually bought a couple of PSN games before buying anything on disc.

Simple. Buy the PS3, go home, download the GRAW2 demo, as well as all the others you might be interested in, and then pick. If you decide the GRAW2 demo doesn't do it for you then bu Vegas on the cheap.

And I thought the GRAW2 and DiRT demos were both fun. My ohnly issue with GRAW 2was that I am not big on playing squad based fightrs like that single player. They make great multiplayer, but as a single player game I only like squad commands in an RTS. That's just a personal preference though.

Anyway, you don't have to buy a game when you buy the PS3. I didn't. I went home, set it up online, downloaded GTHD and actually bought a couple of PSN games before buying anything on disc.

Thanks for the quick reply Foolkiller, but theres just one problem, the offer is the ps3 with one free game... so i cant actually try it until ive bought (got) it! I dont have anyone to hand with a ps3 or the demo...

From what ive heard of the Graw2 ps3 demo the graphics are alot better and the game is not kind of broken like vegas, I have no personal preference of gaming style but I would like the 'better built' game if you know what i mean! Apparently Ubisoft have made a proper effort of porting it this time...

Its a free game so I want to make it count! Does it run in 1080p and are there any differences from the 360 verison? Seeing as you have played it any info you could provide would be a great help!

Robin :)

GRAW 2 on the PS3 was dissapointing compared to the 360 version. Framerate was sluggish, textures were more unclear and there was more jaggies. It would probably be fine for a first game on the PS3, but by no means the quality of the 360 version.

G.T
GRAW 2 on the PS3 was dissapointing compared to the 360 version. Framerate was sluggish, textures were more unclear and there was more jaggies. It would probably be fine for a first game on the PS3, but by no means the quality of the 360 version.

And for whatever reason the color scheme was muddier.

Now, it's a decent enough game if you can get over the fact that it's an inferior port, but you're best off renting it unless you find its multiplayer captivating.

Duċk;2747504
Now, it's a decent enough game if you can get over the fact that it's an inferior port, but you're best off renting it unless you find its multiplayer captivating.

I thought it was a port too until I read the link below,

http://www.qj.net/Ubisoft-talks-about-developing-GRAW-2-for-the-PS3-and-Xbox-360/pg/49/aid/100332

Apparently its not a port it was separately developed by a different studio from the start (ubisofts shanghai studio), (which sounds promising), unlike vegas it takes full benefit of both systems hardware individually which means that it was as good as being specifically developed for PS3. This shows the commitment of a proper games studio (unlike EA) where they are done side by side and it gives the rivalry factor, I hope more games are done like this.

On this info im leaning more to GRAW now because at least its not a port! plus from some videos its got great sixaxis dive and roll moves...

Just wish I could have a go on the demo...

Robin

Back