PS3 General Discussion

DWA
I thought it was cool, reminded me of God of War.
Me too, but while God of war was fun I only rented it and sent it back when I was finished.

Although I wouldn't worry too much about the battery on the controllers. They can last a long time before needing to be charged, and they charge fairly quickly. You can also play and charge at the same time, but that means being tied to the console.
I just plug mine in when I am finished playing so they charge while I am folding. No clue what this will do to the battery life though.

I think had they announced dowdloadable episodes and some kind of online it may have gotten a solid 8, But thats just this guys opinion. A little off top but what was the lasting appeal for Devil may cry?

Devil May Cry! Ah, there's a game I finished in ohhhhh..6 hours? Less?

I never played God of War. Was there a lot to unlock/replayability?

As for the IGN review how can they say
you'll be constnatly battling with tedium on subsequent play-throughs.
Will I? They know me that well, huh? I think what they MEANT to say was
We/I was constantly battling with tedium on subsequent play-throughs.
It is, after all, just an opinion. They can't know what I like. (And to be honest I may only play it once. I only played Gears of War once for example).

Anyway, I never considered Heavenly Sword to be much more than a fun and well presented, well made slasher with good cut scenes and simple but enjoyable gameplay. By the looks of things HS scores well in that regard.

Still, this is only one review I've read so far. Better go to the Heavely Sword thread for the rest (if there are any yet).

Slackbladder, uh, what do you actually play more then once?

Still, this is only one review I've read so far. Better go to the Heavely Sword thread for the rest (if there are any yet).
Apparently Play Magazine gave Heavenly Sword a perfect score of 10 in their September issue... so says Gamerankings.com at least.

Slackbladder, uh, what do you actually play more then once?
Well, Final Fantasy games, Metal Gear Solid games, Resident Evil games, Grand Theft Auto games (and that type, like Saints Row), I played through Fight Night a couple of times (different boxers) and probably a handful of others. Some games I've played through 3 or 4 times. But generally I play a game once and that's it (like Lost Planet, DMC, etc). It depends on a games replayability. Heavenly Sword may be lacking in that respect, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Question Time:
1. Is the 20GB PS3 out in the UK yet?
2. If not when is it being released?

I ask this as, although I can afford the 60GB but only just. The 20GB looks more acheivable as well as being able to get a external drive for the PS3 especially for the 20GB which has a extra 160GB. It works out cheaper for me. Leaving me with a larger hard drive.

Thanks for the help.
Speedster

Question Time:
1. Is the 20GB PS3 out in the UK yet?
2. If not when is it being released?

I ask this as, although I can afford the 60GB but only just. The 20GB looks more acheivable as well as being able to get a external drive for the PS3 especially for the 20GB which has a extra 160GB. It works out cheaper for me. Leaving me with a larger hard drive.

Thanks for the help.
Speedster
Not to my knowledge. I don't see 20GB's anywhere in shops or online (I live in the UK near London). You can get some good deals on the PS3. Many places sell it for £400 with 2 games, another controller and a HDMI cable. Don't wait for a price drop. I don't think there'll be one in the UK until next year.
You could buy one second hand though. You're looking at £300 or less then.

Well, Final Fantasy games, Metal Gear Solid games, Resident Evil games, Grand Theft Auto games (and that type, like Saints Row), I played through Fight Night a couple of times (different boxers) and probably a handful of others. Some games I've played through 3 or 4 times. But generally I play a game once and that's it (like Lost Planet, DMC, etc). It depends on a games replayability. Heavenly Sword may be lacking in that respect, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Wow, you only went through DMC 3 once? Man, theres a lot more to that game the second time around. Higher difficulties, different costumes(with power) and you can of course get better weapons. And that's magnified in the special edition.

But I do see what you mean and agree. I've gone through fight night a few times myself. Fun stuff. :D

Yeah, I probably should've played DMC3 again but I didn't find time for it. Hopefully DMC4 will have the same replayability and I'll get properly stuck in.:mischievous:

Not to my knowledge. I don't see 20GB's anywhere in shops or online (I live in the UK near London). You can get some good deals on the PS3. Many places sell it for £400 with 2 games, another controller and a HDMI cable. Don't wait for a price drop. I don't think there'll be one in the UK until next year.
You could buy one second hand though. You're looking at £300 or less then.
I did hear a rumour that the 20GB was scheduled for near Christmas, but as I said it was a rumour. I also thought they only killed off the 20GB in the USA.

If I do end up getting a 60GB I will probably end up getting a 2nd hand one anyway. Much cheaper :sly:. Also I won't be allowed to get one until either November time or January next year. My Dad recommends to wait till next year as the price might have decreased from all the Christmas rush.

But I don't know...

:lol: ...oh, you mean on X360 games? 👍

Umm, no. :rolleyes:

Come on Duck, I've seen you responding in the same threads where time after time its been discussed how IGN has shown a fairly obvious tendency to "downgrade" PS3 games.

Umm, really? The only cases I know of IGN downgrading PS3 games are games that have worse graphics or less features than the 360 version. Like with games with no voice chat, online play, worse framerate, etc. Could you highlight some examples please? Serious question, as I have no idea (or can't remember if I did have one).

Other than Super Rub a Dub (some of the best $3 I've spent), but that received low scores by most reviewers. ;)

I don't know what else to say. It seems some months you are very even keeled in your criticism, but then other months you seem to show a great deal of unreasonable bias, and can really poor it on thick. Lately, at least your bias seems to be getting the better of you. :indiff:

That's right, baby! PS3 FTL! :lol:

To be serious and not sarcastic, I do admit (and have admitted) I prefer my 360. I'm not satisfied with my PS3 at the moment. But if I really hated it, I wouldn't have bought one in the first place, have not sold it, and have made the most posts in this thread by a landslide.

I have bias. You have bias. Most people at this forum, and other forums as well, have bias. You, or I, or anyone shouldn't be ashamed of yourself because you don't hold the popular opinion.

Apparently Play Magazine gave Heavenly Sword a perfect score of 10 in their September issue... so says Gamerankings.com at least.

Yeah, I saw Play give a 10 to HS... but then again, they give high scores out to everything. 8.5 for Tenchu Z and Sonic the Hedgehog (the new one)? :yuck:

Duċk;2750107
I have bias. You have bias. Most people at this forum, and other forums as well, have bias. You, or I, or anyone shouldn't be ashamed of yourself because you don't hold the popular opinion.
I'm not going to get into a long drawn out argument with you, but I suggest you look into what "bias" really means.

I think you'll find that it basically means "A partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation.". I also think you'll find many people, and I certainly try and do my best to be one of them, can not only be very objective in our observations, discussions, and criticism, but continually hope others will do the same.

Now maybe you're OK with being biased. Personally I'd hate to be that way as it would keep me from being objective and therefore better understanding the truth, and most importantly, if I was biased it could cause me to mislead others with biased information.

That said, I've also seen you involved in discussion where you are not biased, or at least do not show much bias, certainly compared to others I've seen who are so biased that they can't manage to post a single comment without exaggerating or making untruthful statements.

Yeah, I saw Play give a 10 to HS...
You saw it, but made no mention of it... hmmm. ;)

but then again, they give high scores out to everything. 8.5 for Tenchu Z and Sonic the Hedgehog (the new one)? :yuck:
You mean like when they gave Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer a 4.5 out of 10? (which I believe was the lowest, or certainly one of the lowest scores any published review gave it)

The point is, you have shown a tendency, depending on what 'mood' you are in, to try and make many PS3 games look bad, while glossing over many flaws in X360 games. That's hardly the act of someone being unbiased, but then again, you've made it clear that you are biased, and I guess we will all have to continue to take that in consideration whenever we see you post about PS3 games. :indiff:

I must add though, I say all this with a good deal of reluctance as I also appreciate how much information you do share and you often do bring up some valid and interesting topics. So I’m definitely conflicted. One thing is for sure, no matter how biased your posts may get, I would never put you on my Ignore list. :)👍

I'm not going to get into a long drawn out argument with you, but I suggest you look into what "bias" really means.

Why even bother with an Xbot who is most likely on the M$ payroll....the ignore feature works great. The only disadvantage is when someone happens to 'quote' frivolous posts.

I'm a little confused as to how posting a bad review WITH a disclaimer is deemed as xbox fanboyism... I'll agree that some of Ducks other recent antics are a little fb-ish but quoting a review that even hints at as being a little strange is perfectly fine IMO.

Hey, guys.. I've got a techie question about swapping the hard drive for a bigger one.

Do the 2.5" drives have standard SATA connectors, or is it something different?

Is it possible to copy all of your old files onto the new drive using a computer, without any issues when the new drive is installed into the PS3?

I ask because I finally ran out of space today, trying to download the Folklore demo.. took me almost six months to fill up 20GB.. hehe. Well, 4GB of that is my Oblivion swap file, which I could probably get rid of, but I don't want to cripple Oblivion by filling up all of it's swap space with demos.

What I'd like to do is buy a new drive, take it into work, and use one of the SATA-equipped systems there to copy all of the data from the 20GB drive to the new one. Or, if that doesn't work, I have access to a drive cloner that does a bit-for-bit copy of the drive (but will probably give me some hassle with the 20GB partition, I don't know yet). I don't want to have to go through all the setup crap again, and I especially don't want to go through all of the downloading again.

To me Duck is just being Duck, no harm done :)

Anyway Heavenly Swords review should be at least 8 from what I saw. graphics, sound and presentation are all high scores but the reviewer did not liking playing it more than once. His opinion does not reflect what everyone else will experience. Too bad so many are taken by reviews. 7 isn't even a bad score..

Edge magazine in the UK gave Heavenly Sword 6 and Bioshock 8.
But they also gave Fatal Inertia 6 too. So I think I'll ignore them as an aberration (although Warhawk did get an 8).
Edge has great columns and writing, but crap reviews on the whole (they're notoriously mercurial with their reviews). I think I can see where scores were knocked off for HS and Bioshock (too low for HS - 7 I feel, Bioshock 9) but Fatal Inertia? Huh? I admit I've only played the demo but..huh?

As for Duck, nothing wrong in being a bit of a Devils Advocate or being a dissenting voice. I appreciate any information I can find. And I rely on my own integrity and intelligence to come to my own conclusions. I don't need or expect anybody else to do it for me so it doesn't bother me what others post as long as I can see for myself the source of their opinion/statement.👍

Just a quick question,

Do you need to setup new user accounts on the ps3 to have different online accounts?

You cant have like different online sign in's under one user rite?

Oh and also, can anyone recommend me a converter to change avi into the ps3 format, I have tried using that ps3 video 9 software but I was hoping for something lighter and less complex...

Thanks

Robin

Oh and also, can anyone recommend me a converter to change avi into the ps3 format, I have tried using that ps3 video 9 software but I was hoping for something lighter and less complex...
Less complex? Select file, adjust settings, Next, Start Conversion. Done!

Once your settings are set up to how you like it then click One-Click Convert, select the file and boom it does it.

I don't know how much simpler you want it, but if this is too complex I don't suggest doing any kind of conversion software. This is some of the easiest I have ever dealt with.

Less complex? Select file, adjust settings, Next, Start Conversion. Done!

Once your settings are set up to how you like it then click One-Click Convert, select the file and boom it does it.

I don't know how much simpler you want it, but if this is too complex I don't suggest doing any kind of conversion software. This is some of the easiest I have ever dealt with.

The user interface looked crazy to me! When I added a file and clicked convert it said converted right away and nothing happened...plus I dont know where the finished file ends up! hahaha this is comming from someone who finds pro engineer fine to understand! :crazy:

I will try again following you steps because I cannot live without all my AVI stuff.....

EDIT...... Ok I must be really stupid today, Playing GRAW2 all day has rotted my brain! got it working but gosh it takes quite a while! I really hope PS3 will eventually get avi playback!

Thanks for the help,

If anyone could answer the other question in my previous post it would be great thanks...

Robin

The user interface looked crazy to me! When I added a file and clicked convert it said converted right away and nothing happened...plus I dont know where the finished file ends up! hahaha this is comming from someone who finds pro engineer fine to understand! :crazy:
Yeah, it is definitely a little much to look at until you realize it has one button at the bottom to start with. I think they attempted to make the interface a bit too flashy for what it does. They could have a single page where you select the file, set your settings, and click convert, but that would make sense to people like myself who use video editors regularly, and I even create my own DVD menus, chapter menus and so forth, so I doubt aiming for my lofty standards would fit everyone. Their step 1 do this, step 2 do this, step 3 do this process makes it so you can only do one thing at a time and simplifies it for most anyone.

got it working but gosh it takes quite a while! I really hope PS3 will eventually get avi playback!
I wish it would get all playback. This partial playback is annoying.

The conversion times depend on the codec used in your original file. I have had massively large files take no time at all because there was very little recompression to be done, while small files took forever as it practically would have to be rebuilt.

I just use the one-click convert option to set up a list of files and walk away.

And in case you hadn't found it yet, it puts the files under My Documents - Converted Video Files - PS3 - (Whatever file type you converted to - usually MP4 AVC). Or you can click on Library in the top menu and then click on Open Folder. I move them back out to wherever the original file came from.

When you say different online accounts: do you mean like sub-accounts for the PSN or for accessing different regions' stores? I know the sub accounts you can do on your main PS3 account, hence sub-account. I don't know about the different stores thing though , as I have yet to do that.

Do you need to setup new user accounts on the ps3 to have different online accounts?
Yes.

The bonus for having multiple user accounts, besides making them for multiple regions, you'll have multiple PSN ID's. For instance, I use the PSN ID for my United Arab Emirates account when I play F1:CE. I use my PSN ID for my Australian account when I play MotorStorm, etc. This allows me to add friends to each of those accounts that play a lot of that specific game, or belong to online racing leagues for that game.

Hey, guys.. I've got a techie question about swapping the hard drive for a bigger one.

Do the 2.5" drives have standard SATA connectors, or is it something different?

Is it possible to copy all of your old files onto the new drive using a computer, without any issues when the new drive is installed into the PS3?

I ask because I finally ran out of space today, trying to download the Folklore demo.. took me almost six months to fill up 20GB.. hehe. Well, 4GB of that is my Oblivion swap file, which I could probably get rid of, but I don't want to cripple Oblivion by filling up all of it's swap space with demos.

What I'd like to do is buy a new drive, take it into work, and use one of the SATA-equipped systems there to copy all of the data from the 20GB drive to the new one. Or, if that doesn't work, I have access to a drive cloner that does a bit-for-bit copy of the drive (but will probably give me some hassle with the 20GB partition, I don't know yet). I don't want to have to go through all the setup crap again, and I especially don't want to go through all of the downloading again.
Jedi, it appears your question got buried, but there is a threa specifically for these kind of questions so I put a copy of your question in there:

Not to hammer on Duck, but his views often do reflect a 'heavy lean' to 360 titles, games, and features.

Just saying, he thought $10 would cripple the warhawk experience, and think that $60 is too much for HS (but didn't have a problem with the length of Gears of War).

But, if you think I'm being over the top...then this can speak for me:

6cfkn6p.jpg

Just saying...if you really want to be viewed as 'neutral' Duck, then you really should start being neutral.

Well look who's talking. :lol:

I may have qualms with the build quality of the 360, but I don't go into the 360 forum and troll any games. Hell, I love Forza 2 and Bioshock, I play them daily.

But if Bioshock was an extra $10, I wouldn't whine about it.

It's like, Bioshock is single player only, and $60. Duck doesn't complain.

Warhawk is $40 online, and Duck is like "WTF, $40? Dude, $30 might have done it, but $40 is pushing it".

It defies logic. BTW, I don't have a PS3 BG on my 360, lol.

Back