PS3 General Discussion

Just thought I'd drop in and say there's a likely chance of PS3 versions of Ace Combat 6, Beautiful Katamari, and Eternal Sonata being announced at TGS, with BK getting a Wii port as well.

Amazon (and many other places really) are usually very iffy with the reliability of their early prices. It's just their prediction, as there has been no official announcement for GT5:P's RRP.

G.T
What the eff???? GT5:Prologue is gonna be full price :crazy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FPOJOS/?tag=gtplanet-20
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Other products by Sony
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3
Price: $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

I trust this is just an oversight on Amazon's part. And I hope. :nervous:
Amazon (and many other places really) are usually very iffy with the reliability of their early prices. It's just their prediction, as there has been no official announcement for GT5:P's RRP.
👍

In fact, just compare what Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk says:

Amazon.com
Item# B000FPOJOS

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Price: $59.99

Availability: This item will be released on June 30, 2008.

Amazon.co.uk
Item# B000E69YGQ

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)

RRP: £49.99
Price: £39.98

Availability: This item will be released on March 30, 2008.
So if you want to believe what Amazon says, then GT5 is coming out before GT5:P, and that currently GT5:P is only available in the US, and GT5 is only available in Europe. :)

In reality, a North American release of GT5:P has not yet been officially announced... although maybe the Amazon listing is a hint, although considering the release date I suspect if anything it's an error and it is supposed to be for GT5 not GT5:P.

As far as pricing goes, there is speculation that it will be 45 Euros or about £30 in Europe. Considering PS3 games usually sell for about £40 then it appears that if GT5:P is sold in the US through normal retail distribution, then it will likely be priced at $50 or less, which for what is being offered seems more than reasonable to me.

However, it might be a good idea to wait until we know the actual facts regarding availability and pricing before getting upset or excited. 👍

However, it might be a good idea to wait until we know the actual facts regarding availability and pricing before getting upset or excited. 👍

Agreed. Agreed. I think I was initially most exited that Amazon had listed such conflicting info. Thanks to the input from GT and you it's obvious there's really not much to be concerned about. GT5:P is gonna cost something, I'm hoping for less something myself, but it ain't likely to be full regular price.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/819/819273p1.html

IGN
Ratchet & Clank PSN Demo on October 4
Witness the destruction of Metropolis! Hypnotise robots with disco! Download a demo!
by Matt Wales, IGN UK

UK, September 11, 2007 - Despite it sounding like a euphemism for robot hemorrhoids, we're big fans of Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank series. Thrillingly then, Sony's told IGN that a demo of upcoming Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction will hit PSN on October 4.

News of a demo first surfaced during an interview with the Insomniac team on website TheDaily.com.au when an unhelpfully nameless Insomniac employee commented, "We essentially flat-out demolish the symbol of PlayStation 2 Ratchet & Clank: the city of Metropolis [in Tools of Destruction]. Players will get a sneak peek of this level via a downloadable demo that should hit the PlayStation Network Store in the not-too-distant future."

We contacted SCEE for confirmation and, indeed, it seems PlayStation 3 owners will have the chance to download and revel in the game's opening level from October 4. Ratchet & Clank fans: rejoice! Anyone with robot hemorrhoids: sad face :(

I have a question for Motorstorm players.

I rented it from Gamefly and have been playing through it this week. The game is fun, the soundtrack is my kind of music, and I find myself debating whether I want to play it or Warhawk.

Last night I got a couple of tickets into Level 3. I was hoping the AI would become better or I would be in matches against outmatched vehicles, etc, because up to now I could pretty much win any race once I knew the track. However, I found what made the difficulty harder was what appears to be AI cheating. I don't mean rubber band catching up or anything like that.

What I noticed happening a lot is the AI seems to quit racing against each other as much and began working to prevent me from winning. A couple of obvious things I saw were where a vehicle would boost to get in front of me and then slam on their brakes and hold me until the entire field passed, and then go on like nothing happened. Sometimes other vehicles would go so far as to wreck themselves to prevent me from winning, by things like full boost slamming into me if I had gotten hung up on a rock or spun or a big rig turning himself sideways directly in front of me in the wide open. The worst scenario of this was when I was racing along boosting mid-pack and a buggy near the lead completely turned around going the wrong way and boosted into me head on. By the time I respawned the entire pack was past. This kind of thing is making it so that I am basically racing a one lap race to avoid other AI and grab the lead in the last second.

I am being put against tougher classes as well (multiple rally car opponents while using an ATV) and that I have no problem with. That was expected. But when certain AI appear to begin to no longer be trying to actually race, but rather just remove me, and only me, it seems a bit cheap. It is one thing to get punched off a bike or ATV, or shoved into a rock/off track by a bigger vehicle, especially as they would then continue on racing, but when the tactics began involving removing themselves from the race it just got cheap. It seems that it is almost obvious that certain AI are there solely to hold me back and not actually attempt racing. I've even seen a big rig not follow the muddy path so they could chase me.

Anyway, up to this point that game has been pure fun, despite loading times (may be rental disc related?), and I was considering a purchase. As it stands now I will finish playing through the single player modes and will try Time Attack and some online stuff, but if I don't see this stuff improving then online will have to be freaking awesome for me to buy it. Oh well, I was going to have to decide between it and DiRT anyway for budgeting reasons.

So, do I just suck or is this actually how the gameplay goes? Until I got hit head on by a buggy going the wrong way I thought it might just be me.

To be honest its what has put me off playing single player Motorstorm, the AI is a cheating so and so beyond a certain level and it gets to the point at which you need as much luck as skill to win a race.

Its why it may leave me on Friday when DiRT is released.

Scaff

Thanks, Scaff.

Glad to see it isn't just me.

I may be sending this back now so that I can get a brand new DiRT disc, so I know it wil be in good condition if I decide to keep it.

I certainly wouldn't call it cheating. As you said, rubber-band AI, or any kind of artificially enhanced performance is more likely a sign of cheating. Also, I think you may be approaching MotorStorm like it is a Gran Turismo style racing game. While the physics are very sim like, one look at the "courses", the vehicles, the boost, the slow motion explosions, the bikers and ATVers slugging it out, etc and quite clearly the game has a very 'Mad Max' style to it... thus having the AI increasingly target you not only makes perfectly good sense, but it certainly adds to the challenge.

It may not be the kind of challenge everyone wants to deal with, but if you're looking for races where the AI are not targeting you then you'll be much happier sticking with the first half of the races in MotorStorm, playing online or even just stick with Time Attack mode.

I will say though, MotorStorm allows for a wide variety of playing styles, certainly when you are playing online, but now with the Time Attack mode, even in single player mode you can have a total performance, fastest lap time style race as you like, rather than a strategic attack and defense style race, where the winner isn't necessarily the fastest.

I never thought I'd like MotorStorm as I have never liked arcade style racing games, but there is a lot more to MotorStorm. If you check out the MotorStorm thread, as well as the official MotorStorm forums, you'll find many online players have formed leagues as well as created new games, like "Tag", "Capture the Flag", "Death Match", and "Hide & Seek".

Frankly I'm surprised Evolution Studios hasn't caught on and capitalized on these by making an add-on with specific game support options for these types of "races".

Regardless, while MotorStorm may not be for everyone, surprisingly though, it can be adapted to a wide variety of playing styles, including those who don't want any interference from other cars in order to focus entirely on getting the fastest possible lap times.

In fact, when you're playing in Time Attack mode, you can even make it more realistic/less arcade like, by never using the boost, and comparing lap times with your friends that way. As an added bonus, if you trust your friends, you can all agree to race cleanly and not to use boost while racing against each other online.

So once again, MotorStorm does permit a wide variety of racing styles from realistic sim to arcade assault style, but it's mostly up to the player to decide what they want at any given time.

I certainly wouldn't call it cheating. As you said, rubber-band AI, or any kind of artificially enhanced performance is more likely a sign of cheating. Also, I think you may be approaching MotorStorm like it is a Gran Turismo style racing game. While the physics are very sim like, one look at the "courses", the vehicles, the boost, the slow motion explosions, the bikers and ATVers slugging it out, etc and quite clearly the game has a very 'Mad Max' style to it... thus having the AI increasingly target you not only makes perfectly good sense, but it certainly adds to the challenge.
I didn't expect a sim race, but I also didn't expect to suddenly find it was me versus a team of 15. I love the Mad Max feel. I have punched a large number of riders off bikes and ATVS, I've run them over in a big rig, and I have especially nudge a guy over when going into a narrow gap. I have never stopped, turned a round, and ramed them head on.

If having one AI vehicle completely remove themselves from the race to prevent me from passing another AI vehicle isn't cheating then what is it?

Imagine any other racing game where one car is decided to be the winning AI car and all other cars quit racing so they can prevent you from beating the front AI.

If it is going to be a handicapped one vs. a team match them tell me officially, otherwise my race suddenly became a survival match without my knowing it. I don't even mind if an AI that I ran off the road or wrecked earlier is coming back for a bit of revenge, but when it is first lap and one of the front pack suddenly comes back specifically to stop me moving up it is not a grudge issue, but a teaming up issue. That is not what the game is marketed as.

I never thought I'd like MotorStorm as I have never liked arcade style racing games, but there is a lot more to MotorStorm. If you check out the MotorStorm thread, as well as the official MotorStorm forums, you'll find many online players have formed leagues as well as created new games, like "Tag", "Capture the Flag", "Death Match", and "Hide & Seek".

Frankly I'm surprised Evolution Studios hasn't caught on and capitalized on these by making an add-on with specific game support options for these types of "races".
Probably because they were leaving Twisted Metal to someone else.

I will be playing around with the online and Time Attack stuff, but I may be finished with single player. If this were 10 months ago I would be buying this, but I have other options and so I don't see this getting any shelf space.

But 1nsane was better because of open terrains and more play modes. I would love to see 1nsane 2 on ps3.(or would it be 2insane? :) )

As much as we would want a Insane 2 they just wouldn't make one. It was a old computer game that I picked up for about £2 out of a shop so....I wouldn't be too hopefull.

Gamespot gave Heavenly Sword ONLY 8.0!

Thats really odd as games like lets say Vegas got 9.0 and are really not as visually pretty as this game... Even Def Jam gets 8.1!

They said the score was mainly due to the fact that it wasnt long enough, that really shouldnt be a factor as a game may be quicker for some than others and as game reviewers its no wonder they get through stuff in afew hours!

Its an unfair judgement in my eyes... It deserves atleast 9.0.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/heavenlysword/review.html?sid=6178490

Also Gamespot are well known as been Xbox fanboys... if this was a 360 exclusive it would have got something like 9.5 I am nearly 100% sure!

Robin

Seems like the 360 gained back a little more momentum lately because of games but yeah, I'll be getting heavenly Sword later because it's definitely a great looking game. Does suck that it's "short" but I have a feeling it wouldn't be short for me. :dopey:

Graphics do not make a game, however I do agree that the length shouldn't affect anything either. I enjoy shorter games because unlike some people I don't have 80+ hours to play through one game, I'm fine with a 20 hour game.

They said the score was mainly due to the fact that it wasnt long enough, that really shouldnt be a factor as a game may be quicker for some than others and as game reviewers its no wonder they get through stuff in afew hours!
What's funny is that they say it's six-and-a-half hours long like that's a bad thing... uh... that's not exactly short and besides, apparently the fact that you can finish Bioshock in under 6 hours the first time through never bothered Gamespot one bit. :rolleyes:

Yet another example of a high level of bias among certain "reviewers".

hello.jpg

Also Gamespot are well known as been Xbox fanboys... if this was a 360 exclusive it would have got something like 9.5 I am nearly 100% sure!

Explain why BioShock, a 360 exclusive, got a 9.0 (one of its lowest scores) by GameSpot when 10s were given out nearly universally by many other review outlets.

You guys need to get a grip, calm down, and stop acting like the world is against you. It's a PS3 game from a developer with a not-so-great game making history that has received too much hype for most games to handle, let alone HS. It has been getting middling reviews, from 9s to 7s. Screaming out that reviewers are biased like insecure fanboys when most of you haven't even played the game isn't the smartest thing to do.

It has a metascore of 80. GameSpot's review falls in line with the average. Heavenly Sword looks to be a good, fun, competent game with flaws that could be fixed and aspects that could be approved upon. Considering Ninja Theory went from Kung Fu Chaos to something like this, even with the help of a large budget, be happy and enjoy the game whether you purchase it or rent it.

Well, I'm taking the plunge and picking up a brand new PS3 after work tomorrow. I'll try and get a bundle with 3 games I will play. All the advertised bundles have at least 1 game I'm not interested in. Though I guess I could always sell a game straight back to the shop if I couldn't haggle a game change. I'm sure I will though.

Explain why BioShock, a 360 exclusive, got a 9.0 (one of its lowest scores) by GameSpot when 10s were given out nearly universally by many other review outlets.
image003_25.jpg

Explain why their gripe was that they felt it was a 6 1/2 hour game while Bioshock is as long if not shorter, and they make no mention of its length. Get a grip indeed.

You guys need to get a grip, calm down, and stop acting like the world is against you.
What "guys" are you talking about that are not calm and screaming. Stop exaggerating as you often do. Some of us are quite calm and stating obvious facts that expose serious flaws in reviews. Just because the facts expose flaws you might not like to hear, or expose flaws in the bad reviews that you make a point to "share" with all of us, doesn't mean those exposing them are freaking out fanboys.

Maybe the person who really needs to get a grip is you, or at least stop all your biased comments. I thought you said the name change was to make a fresh start on GTP, so far you sound like the same old Double Standard Duck to me.

The Nintendo fans were upset at Zelda for Wii when it got an 8.1 from gamestop same way Xbox fans were upset and crying that Bio got n 9. So if a Sony fan has an opinion on a game they feel deserved better then just let them have their opinion. Its no big deal. Its the bad publicity from "G4" and "podcasts" fans should worry about as well as GameStop Employees who do more damage than reviewers by turning unknowing gamers away from games.

Explain why their gripe was that they felt it was a 6 1/2 hour game while Bioshock is as long if not shorter, and they make no mention of its length. Get a grip indeed.

Funny, since that's literally the first time I heard BioShock being that short, along with a "if not shorter" remark aside it. All other impressions from game reviewers to normal users I've seen have said it's taken some 8 hours, most of them 12-15, and a few 20+.

What "guys" are you talking about that are not calm and screaming. Stop exaggerating as you often do. Some of us are quite calm and stating obvious facts that expose serious flaws in reviews. Just because the facts expose flaws you might not like to hear, or expose flaws in the bad reviews that you make a point to "share" with all of us, doesn't mean those exposing them are freaking out fanboys.

I'll point out Robin for one.

And I never called anyone fanboys, I said that some of you need to stop acting like them. Subtle but big difference.

Maybe the person who really needs to get a grip is you, or at least stop all your biased comments. I thought you said the name change was to make a fresh start on GTP, so far you sound like the same old Double Standard Duck to me.

:lol:

When you mean one of its lowest scores what exactly do you mean? Gamespot did also give it editors choice and in the review sighted mainly its good points and not pointing out the fact that it probably lasts just as long (or short) as HS which was their main problem with it! So hence we have bias reviewing why are the same issues not the same problem in some games than in others. They don't mention anything about the shortness of bioshock anywhere in the entire review! Plus if you read it its sounds like a bunch of kiss a** from start to end.

And thats not even my main point, you look at the general scoring on the site, Lets take for example their list of top ten 360 games it is dominated by figures going from 8.0 to 9.2 (with lots of 8.5's and 8.7's) which better than the PS3 list which hovers around the low 8's.

Even if you look at the wider picture basically out of all the games reviewed for each system the PS3 ones on average have lower reviews and in some cases these are given regardless of quality showing no real effort on the reviews to look beyond their fanboy glasses.

Explain to me how the hell GRAW2 gets 8.7 on 360 and only 8.5 in PS3 seeing as its a total carbon copy with no difference in anything between the two, they even say it doesn't use sixaxis which dur it does idiot reviewers... That should mean added functionality which if anything should mean a higher score if were gonna play how they do!

EWillis
It has been getting middling reviews, from 9s to 7s.

Since when is 9-7 the middle of ten! :dunce:

......and also BTW Play Magazine gave it 10/10

Its total rubbish, but gamespot is gamespot, they love to slag off PS3 just because of its rocky start, what a lack of professionalism

Robin

EDIT - As for me being a fanboy I dont even have any interest in heavenly sword (not really my cup of tea) nor any interest in game reviews and believing totally what they say, im just making a point.

I go by my judgement and whatever system something is on if it deserves merit (like HS) then it deserves merit, I am saying that game reviewing has gone to pot which is on the most part true.

Oh so just because I own a PS3 and...oh....I kind of like it makes me a FANBOY! No you didnt say it but you implied it.

As for the how long bioshock issue as you said yourself it takes a different amount of time for different people hence proving my point that it should not be used as a factor in game reviews.

Oh and yes Duck just typing this post I was not calm and screaming and all the way through it....:scared: :sly: You can REALLY tell from the non calm manor in which it is written and total lack of logistical comments... jesus I NEED HELP!

I think it would be a good idea if the baiting and the personal vendettas would stop. Nobody really cares, why get wound up over a review.

Dirt for PS3 and 360 got identical scores yet other multi platform games with frame rate hiccups got lower scores. By the way I picked up Dirt today for PS3.

Graphics do mean something If we are paying 5 or 6 hundred dollars for a computer entertainment system with mad pixel processing power. If people only cared for gameplay there wouldn't be a PS3 right now. PS2 has loads great games with eye sore graphics, but they didn't have a choice.

Dirt for PS3 and 360 got identical scores yet other multi platform games with frame rate hiccups got lower scores. By the way I picked up Dirt today for PS3.

Most said the graphics where far superior on the PS3 version so in theory it should get a higher score...or do they not see it?

Robin

Funny, since that's literally the first time I heard BioShock being that short, along with a "if not shorter" remark aside it.
Funny, since you have posted nearly 25 times in GTP's own Bioshock thread, both before and after the following post:

G.T
I just finished it again on Easy Mode about an hour ago. It only took me around 6 hours.
And this was just the day after getting the game.

In addition, even on 2K Game's own Bioshock forums countless people have said they finished the game in less than six hours on their first try.

And I never called anyone fanboys, I said that some of you need to stop acting like them. Subtle but big difference.
As subtle as the influence your bias for 360 games has on your posts.

I think it would be a good idea if the baiting and the personal vendettas would stop. Nobody really cares, why get wound up over a review.
Which is exactly what I and others have been saying for some time, and to support that notion, pointing out glaring flaws in many of the reviews that get brought up here. It has gotten to a point that many reviews seem to be written for the sole purpose of drawing attention to themselves and or the site that publishes them at the expense of being accurate and or unbiased.

Most said the graphics where far superior on the PS3 version so in theory it should get a higher score...
Yes, even Duck/EWillis posted a link to an article from E3 where they said how much better the PS3 version of DiRT looked over the 360 version. Duck/EWillis also agreed that the framerate and lighting looked better on the PS3 demo then the 360 demo. So yes, it is "interesting" and predictable why they gave both editions of DiRT the same score, even though most all seem to agree that the PS3 edition is superior.

Back