PS3 General Discussion

I have yet to receive a disk read error on my PS3, but I'm sure I will when I start playing some of my older games. Should I expect a dark, evil screen of doom with "Disk Read Error! Rawr!" on it, or a polite message informing me that the disk cannot be read?

:sly:

EDIT: it works fairly well, it needs to be smoother to be able to play gt2, but it works ok for resident evil... hopefully they can make it run a little better in the future. Still a very unexpected and awesome addition

I noticed GT2 had a delay in my steering input. I was trying the license tests and and on Basics of Cornering 1 I was struggling and kept Failing, then I played it straight on the PS3 and bronzed it first try.

I might try GT1 and see if the lower graphics decrease the lag any.

And I ran through some WMVs and some work, some don't. I think it is because not all WMVs use VC-1, which is what the update gave support for. But at least now it recognizes and sees all WMV files, even if it can't play them.

Have any of you noticed a slight delay in been able navigate the XBM straight out of closing the web browser? I think its because of a RAM increase, seeing as before the firmware it wouldn't allow engadget on the browser kept stating too low on RAM and now it works fine, but as you close down the browser it freezes the XMB for about 3 seconds or so.

After downloading the 2.1 update, I can no longer play GT4 with my G25. :( When the console switches to "PS2 mode", the wheel doesn't do a self diagnostic, and none of the buttons respond. The wheel still works fine with my PS3 games, just not with GT4.

WHY, SONY, WHY?!?!?!

Have you tested all usb-ports?

Have any of you noticed a slight delay in been able navigate the XBM straight out of closing the web browser? I think its because of a RAM increase, seeing as before the firmware it wouldn't allow engadget on the browser kept stating too low on RAM and now it works fine, but as you close down the browser it freezes the XMB for about 3 seconds or so.

Yeah, I noticed it too, it freezes for about 3secs or so, and only after that it allows you to use the XMB.

Wmv's work fine, tried it yesterday. Do't have Divx to try though...
But I like the fact my wallpaper is visible while I´m surfing the net.

Ive noticed the internet to XMB delay also.

When you go to the XMB when you are in the web browser the video thumbnails don't move... ram issue?

Music stops playing when going into the console settings menu or into the PS Store...

When turning on the machine or exiting any game the xmb background briefly goes to what is default before going to what you have set...

I found that when you set your time zone a cool globe comes up that rotates to the time zone..... such a waste for something you will probably only look at once!

Every time you start a demo the disc inside the drive spins up... I wonder why? Also it needs to read the disc every time it wants to make a video thumbnail for the game.

You have to press the controllers PS button twice, once to turn it on and once to assign it... really annoying!

Anyone tried to voice changing feature yet?

:lol: I notice these things!

Robin

I have yet to receive a disk read error on my PS3, but I'm sure I will when I start playing some of my older games. Should I expect a dark, evil screen of doom with "Disk Read Error! Rawr!" on it, or a polite message informing me that the disk cannot be read?

Why would you? There isn't a single piece of hardware in the PS3 from the bulky PS2s that cause the problem some 4 or 5 years ago.

I don't know if you guys have seen the new music visualization too, the earth and eclipse things, pretty cool but ultimately useless as they don't go with the music.

LINK to VIDEO

I don't know why the thumbnails don't move while in browser or listening to music, could be a RAM issue but I dont know for sure.

Controller recharge anyone? I'm a bit miffed about this as the guys at Sony towers could of thought on and allowed the pad to recharge when on standby. Its a right ball ache having to leave the PS3 on to charge the controller up. Tonight for instance, I have to site here and give it some time to charge, all because I forgot to turn on my PS3 to do it. :ouch:

Ya it is a bit of a nusance only being able to charge the controllers when the PS3 is off but for me, I have been the only one playing the PS3 at my house for about 4 months so I only used one controller and when I did, I just charged the other ones.

Does anyone know the lifetime of the controller's battery?

Although the controllers are intended for wireless use, I wish they had longer wires so I could keep it charging and avoid running out of juice while I played some of my games.(Specifically GT4 where my controller will not reach my cockpit with the cable).

About disk read errors, if I were to carve my name into a disk with an exact-o knife and put it in the PS3, what result would I expect? Would it just not load?

funny, I have never had any trouble with the battery life, you should join our folding@home team and then you can leave the ps3 on over night with the controller plugged in.

::bump:: I just got a playstation eye for an early present, does anyone remember where the thread about looking at the eye image on your psp went?

Ok so I finally bought one...it was fairly irresistible at $299 (with a trade in of 10 PS2 games and a PS2). So after I system update what games should I get??? And how do I join this folding@home team?

Although the controllers are intended for wireless use, I wish they had longer wires so I could keep it charging and avoid running out of juice while I played some of my games.(Specifically GT4 where my controller will not reach my cockpit with the cable).
A simple USB extension works just fine in those cases. It's nice having an extra 15ft of wire when you're on a 42hour gaming binge. :)

::bump:: I just got a playstation eye for an early present, does anyone remember where the thread about looking at the eye image on your psp went?
Digital-Nitrate has quite a bit of information posted here.

Ok so I finally bought one...it was fairly irresistible at $299 (with a trade in of 10 PS2 games and a PS2). So after I system update what games should I get??? And how do I join this folding@home team?
Launch the folding@home program. Once you're in hit the triangle button (I'm guess here, but it should say what button to go into option). Once in options, before to type in team 55702. More local details here.

You know what they say!.... You wait for a bus for ages....:)

dsc01162nn6.jpg

Finally got them today!, didn't take too long to arrive though considering its xmas, bout a week!

Well these two and GTA-VCS should keep me going till next year :lol:

Robin :)

Digital-Nitrate has quite a bit of information posted here.

yeah I found it by accident last night, I thought it had it's own thread. Thanks Pako!!

this really is cool, you can see everything the eye sees over the internet, and you can get the audio if you are in the right menu 👍

Finally exams are ove and i can pay on the ps3 :)

Noticed the PS3 couldn't find my wireless network, so hooked it up to the pc in my room.
still a bit slow thoughm have to re-adjust my antenna

What's your PSN-ID? Have you signed up yet?

Yeah PSN ID is Vasco506. I didn't know UT 3 was out for PS3 :embarrassed:. I may well pick it up then as my PC probably wouldn't be able to play it.

You know what they say!.... You wait for a bus for ages....:)

dsc01162nn6.jpg

Finally got them today!, didn't take too long to arrive though considering its xmas, bout a week!

Well these two and GTA-VCS should keep me going till next year :lol:

Robin :)

Be careful. COD: 4 is like heroin, not that I know what heroin is like, but it's like crack...., not that I know what crack is like. What I'm trying to say is that it's very addictive. Have fun!

Back