PS3 General Discussion

I have only played the game for about an hour today. A friend of mine came over and played FIFA '08 with me. There were some epic battles.

Each game was very close and I came out on top in all but the last one. The last game was one of the best games ever. 4-4 after extra time and I lost 8-7 in penalty kicks. I tied the game up 3-3 in 90+ minute in regulation on a great cross to Rooney from Cristiano Ronaldo. I then had an opportunity on a corner to tie it up, which failed, but had a great steal by Patrice Evra and a nice long shot outside the box to go up 4-3. Then it was tied up by a great cross. Such a blast to play in such close games! 👍

Hey what sort of USB flash drives do you guys use? I want to buy a 1-2 gb one that will actually work in the PS3, because i have one right now that it doesn't recognize. :/

I've got a question: I use 3 different external harddrives with my PS3; a 160GB (FAT32), a 500GB (FAT32) and a 500GB (NTFS). The FAT32 format HDD's word just fine with my PS3, but for some reason it doesn't want to detect the NTFS format drive, IS THERE A REASON FOR THIS? Please help?

Yes, there is a big reason why NTFS is not recognized by the PS3. NTFS stands for New Technology File System, the standard file system used for Windows NT created by Microsoft. NTFS is proprietary to Windows.

If you want to use your 500GB with your PS3, it needs to be formated to FAT32.

:eek: I almost had an epiphany just then... I was playing some tunes over the media server thing on the PS3, and I was messing around with the controls etc, just farting about basically, when I felt something come over me, and I went all timid.

Anyway, I decided to listen to the Russian National Anthem and The Planets by Holst with the lights down low. I thought I'd chose that funky visualisation that looks like falling blocks. I set it, and put the controller down, and sat back with my eyes closed. I must of lost myself in the music, because I wake to hear 'Mars the Bringer of War' blasting through my telly speakers! looking at the screen of the TV, I am astounded!

:eek: Is that the Sun rising over the horizon of Mars? I basically crapped myself there and then! Like I said I thought I was having some sort of epiphany ala 2001: A Space Odessey! It didn't take me too long to realise that there had been a new feature added to the Media server visualisation option, but for a second there, I though I was being 'spoken too...'

If you get the chance to play music through you TV, choose the option to display planet Earth. It is spectacular!!! The level of detail in that visualisation is incredible. Like I said, I thought I was watching the sun rise over the horizon of Mars, it looked like that at the time, but after a second or so, I realised it was the Earth. You can see land masses, cloud formations, even the thin strip of atmosphere that sustains us all is there. Sony have really out done themselves with this addition. 👍

I served a customer a few days ago. in Aus we only sell the 40gb PS3 as the 60gb original has been stopped. Anyway the differences is only 2 USB ports, 20gb Harddrive and the loss of a EMULATION backwards compatibility and no card reader.

ATM we have the 40gb PS3 listed at 687AUD (600USD) with a free game.
This lady quickly informed me she had the 60gb version brand new and was very proud that she had attained it for christmas. She had purchased it off ebay. I asked how much... She said $1400 AUD (1225 USD). Absolutly insane..

wow i guess that i was very lucky. I had managed to get 1 60gb ps3 brand new of my cousin, he works in pc world and they had a unexpected (VERY UNEXPECTED) delivery of about 40 of them. I was really amazed at this!!!
Guess that i got a bit lucky there!!

:eek: I almost had an epiphany just then... I was playing some tunes over the media server thing on the PS3, and I was messing around with the controls etc, just farting about basically, when I felt something come over me, and I went all timid.

Anyway, I decided to listen to the Russian National Anthem and The Planets by Holst with the lights down low. I thought I'd chose that funky visualisation that looks like falling blocks. I set it, and put the controller down, and sat back with my eyes closed. I must of lost myself in the music, because I wake to hear 'Mars the Bringer of War' blasting through my telly speakers! looking at the screen of the TV, I am astounded!

:eek: Is that the Sun rising over the horizon of Mars? I basically crapped myself there and then! Like I said I thought I was having some sort of epiphany ala 2001: A Space Odessey! It didn't take me too long to realise that there had been a new feature added to the Media server visualisation option, but for a second there, I though I was being 'spoken too...'

If you get the chance to play music through you TV, choose the option to display planet Earth. It is spectacular!!! The level of detail in that visualisation is incredible. Like I said, I thought I was watching the sun rise over the horizon of Mars, it looked like that at the time, but after a second or so, I realised it was the Earth. You can see land masses, cloud formations, even the thin strip of atmosphere that sustains us all is there. Sony have really out done themselves with this addition. 👍

Yeh I posted it back a while ago, back when the latest update came out, its is a great thing, especially with the right bit of music.

I use a 4GB Staples own branded pen drive and it works great, I also use my 8GB CF card from my Ipod Mini, because it dosn't work in my 400D :(

Is there anything special you need to do to access the servers? Whenever I try it says that no server can be found. :(
You have to host one on your PC to stream the media to your PS3. The easiest way to do it on a Windows PC is Windows Media Player 11, but it doesn't recognize MP4 files.

There are other Media Server programs out there, but what you want to use is up to you.

@Sprite: It sure is impressive either way! :)

Is there anything special you need to do to access the servers? Whenever I try it says that no server can be found. :(

I have mine setup over my wireless network. Nero Mediahome pretty much did it all for me. I couldn't get WMP11 to see my PS3, after I used Nero Home, WPM11 could... It was kinda strange, but Its working now, so I'm not gonna mess with it!

The only complaint I have is that the tunes take a while to get from my PC to my ps3. Is that down to the speed of my Wireless adapter (which is 54mbps) or something i have to configure on my PC? Any help would be appreciated.

The only complaint I have is that the tunes take a while to get from my PC to my ps3. Is that down to the speed of my Wireless adapter (which is 54mbps) or something i have to configure on my PC? Any help would be appreciated.
Using Nero? I know Nero will convert the format on the fly so if you have that setup it could just be it caching. Or it could just be the caching the PS3 does.

If it were a speed issue you would have noticable skipping or pausing mid song/video. Or you would just get a network error.

I would say that best guess is something is caching somewhere. I know mine takes a few seconds after I click to play a file to actually start with the swirly loading logo running in the corner.

I guess the real question is how long are we talking about. I mean, if you are looking at a just a couple of seconds then that is just a matter of caching as it has to stream the file then decompress the signal and play it. It needs to cache. If you are looking at something longer then it could also be a PC speed issue or some sort of on the fly conversion running.

i'm having problems setting up the ps3 online network, for some reason i could not connect to my wireless network no matter what i do, is there a chance that i have to add the ps3 to my network via my pc ? if so, how do i go about doing that?. i asked a guy from the computer shop and he asked me what model of router i have, because sometimes some of them don't like the ps3 network (i dont really understand what he was talking about), and that i might have to do some port forwarding, whatever that is. i tried to connect it via a wireless router yesterday, but that still did not work. any tips or help with this ? i know it sounds stupid, but any help would be appreciated. :cheers:

i'm having problems setting up the ps3 online network, for some reason i could not connect to my wireless network no matter what i do, is there a chance that i have to add the ps3 to my network via my pc ? if so, how do i go about doing that?. i asked a guy from the computer shop and he asked me what model of router i have, because sometimes some of them don't like the ps3 network (i dont really understand what he was talking about), and that i might have to do some port forwarding, whatever that is. i tried to connect it via a wireless router yesterday, but that still did not work. any tips or help with this ? i know it sounds stupid, but any help would be appreciated. :cheers:

Does your router have a security setup?

Router brand and model number would help.

In some cases there are certain wireless routers that for some odd reason refuse to work well with the PS3 and you have to adjust the settings to make them get along. Mine was liek this, but it made me drop my connection off and on. It woudl still connect initially.

When you go into your wireless setup in the PS3 does it see your network and then just can't connect? Or does it just not detect any networks?

My PSP doesn't connect to my wireless network. I'm buying a PS3 later today, so if the connection for a PS3 is the same as a PSP's would I have the same problems with the PS3's connection that I had with the PSP? Or was it just pure chance that the PSP didn't connect?

Latest Posts

Back