PS3 General Discussion

Maybe it's a problem with this particular model of router? Everytime I try to download with the router, it doesn't work, without the router it's no problem.

I need some help. My friend got a PS3 just a few days ago. It will connect to his wireless connection but when he goes to get a PSN name it tells him to update, so he does. But it only ever gets a few percent of the download done before it drops the connection.
Everytime I try to download with the router, it doesn't work, without the router it's no problem.
Sounds like you both might be a firewall issue/blocked ports. Do you know how to go in and check or would you like instructions?

TB
Sounds like you both might be a firewall issue/blocked ports. Do you know how to go in and check or would you like instructions?
I really don't know anything about routers etc...

Getting some help would be very nice. Appreciate this! Thanks!

And it would also be good for others to get some instructions.

:)

TB

Easy to understand instructions would be great. Thanks.

@Kikkie: Can you play online perfectly and download from the store fine but just not download the updates?

Edit: His signal strenght is only about 35%, would that have any effect on it?

Easy to understand instructions would be great. Thanks.

@Kikkie: Can you play online perfectly and download from the store fine but just not download the updates?

Yes it would try moving the router closer to the PS3 or get a signal strengthener like this or this.

I can't say that I can play online perfectly (lag problems). Downloading with router is impossible in my case. There is a 20 metre (21.8 yd) of UTP cable between the router and ps3. Maybe that is the problem.

Yes it would try moving the router closer to the PS3 or get a signal strengthener like this or this.

I seen that second one in an Argos catalogue for €60. I'll have to convince him to buy one. But if we can disable this firewall to the PS3 then at least he could download this firmware and could use the online even if it was a bit laggy because of the poor connection.

I seen that second one in an Argos catalogue for €60. I'll have to convince him to buy one. But if we can disable this firewall to the PS3 then at least he could download this firmware and could use the online even if it was a bit laggy because of the poor connection.

Check to see if he has a manual for the router that could help.

Quite right, as far as HDMI cables go, for short runs, the cable with either work or not, no quality difference will be seen from buying a 'better/more expensive' cable.

Th eonly reason you would ever want to spend more on a HDMI cable would be....

• Cables runs over 5m (here cheaper cables bandwidth limits can cause signal loss)
  • Better connectors - The HDMI connector is an appalling piece of design and I have come across some cheaper cables that fit poorly and fall out, ironically however the worst fitting connector on a HDMI cable I have come across was Monster.
  • You want a cable that looks better - gold connectors and colourful jackets appeal to some people in terms of appearance - they will not however give you a better picture.

...so with runs under 5m (and the vast majority are) buy the cheapest cable you can with a descent connector and you will be fine. The exact same thing applies to Optical cables as well, in fact any digital cable. The only time that cables will vary the quality and/or characteristics of the sound is with analogue signals.

Regards

Scaff

ok thanks alot for all your answers. i'm going today to the mall and check out the cables and i'll buy the cheapest!

I'll keep postest on how it works and looks.

thanks

Chris

How far away is his PS3 from the router?

He may want to see if he can get a better signal strength in a different location to make sure there isn't something else going on.

Also, router brand and model numbers would be immensely helpful.

He has a Netopia router, I'm not sure of the model number, I can ask him later. And no he dosent have any other routers. He said his PS is about 10 metres from the router.

This morning he said he tried the download again without doing anything with the router and it worked, I'm not sure how it is going now but it worked for awhile earlier today anyway. Is it possible that the router forwarded the port for the PS3 on its own after he had tried so often?
Thanks for all the responses hopefully the problems solved now or he'll text back later today telling me how annoyed he is with the thing!

He has a Netopia router, I'm not sure of the model number, I can ask him later. And no he dosent have any other routers. He said his PS is about 10 metres from the router.

This morning he said he tried the download again without doing anything with the router and it worked, I'm not sure how it is going now but it worked for awhile earlier today anyway. Is it possible that the router forwarded the port for the PS3 on its own after he had tried so often?
Thanks for all the responses hopefully the problems solved now or he'll text back later today telling me how annoyed he is with the thing!
If it is working now check the signal strength. It could have just been some odd interference.

And no, it won't port forward on its own. It needs to assign ports and then the settings have to be adjusted in the PS3 to match.

This morning he said he tried the download again without doing anything with the router and it worked, I'm not sure how it is going now but it worked for awhile earlier today anyway.
It sounds like it could be a combination of several issues...

• Type of wireless router
  • Location of said router
  • ISP experiencing a serious drop in bandwidth, either from the node, or somewhere else along the network
  • Other wireless devices (not necessarily other routers) interfering with the signal.
  • Other computers using the same router at the same time may also be causing some intermittent interruptions

If you bypass the wireless adapter and router and instead just use an Ethernet cable from your PS3 directly to your modem, this may help identify the problem(s).

hey everybody, a while ago i asked regarding hdmi cable for ps3 to use on an 26'' samsung tv, and today i bought the logitec ps3 hdmi cable and i have to say the differents is just amazing.thanks for everybodies help.

Chris

hey everybody, a while ago i asked regarding hdmi cable for ps3 to use on an 26'' samsung tv, and today i bought the logitec ps3 hdmi cable and i have to say the differents is just amazing.thanks for everybodies help.

Chris

Get a bigger TV and the difference will be much bigger.:)

I use a 34 inch 1080i HD-Ready CRT as my dad does not want any TVs above 35 inches(he says a 34 inch is too much for him :P).

today i bought the logitec ps3 hdmi cable

Noo you shouldn't have done that...quality is not really an issue with HDMI cables, either they work or they don't. I got a 6' for around $8 on New Egg and have had no concerns for almost 8 months now.

Noo you shouldn't have done that...quality is not really an issue with HDMI cables, either they work or they don't. I got a 6' for around $8 on New Egg and have had no concerns for almost 8 months now.

Check the posts above that one... I'm fairly certain he understood that before buying the Logitec HDMI cable:

hey guys,just a quick question.what is the best hdmi cable for ps3 to use on an 26'' samsung tv? oh and by the way,im writing this from my ps3 chris

The cheapest.

There have been plenty of double blind testing of HDMI cables over the years and only one thing has ever been proven to be true... in most cases, spending more than $1 per foot on HDMI cable is a waist of good money.

I'd recommend you check out MonoPrice, as they have some really good prices on HDMI cables as well as a lot of other video signal related products, like cables, switchers, splitters, adapters, etc.

For a recent A/V shootout, I bought four of their 6ft HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified 28AWG cable w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors)... at less than $4 a piece. 👍

During the shootout, although no one expected any different, we tested that cable against a $100 3m HDMI cable from Monster... absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Quite right, as far as HDMI cables go, for short runs, the cable with either work or not, no quality difference will be seen from buying a 'better/more expensive' cable.

Th eonly reason you would ever want to spend more on a HDMI cable would be....

• Cables runs over 5m (here cheaper cables bandwidth limits can cause signal loss)
  • Better connectors - The HDMI connector is an appalling piece of design and I have come across some cheaper cables that fit poorly and fall out, ironically however the worst fitting connector on a HDMI cable I have come across was Monster.
  • You want a cable that looks better - gold connectors and colourful jackets appeal to some people in terms of appearance - they will not however give you a better picture.

...so with runs under 5m (and the vast majority are) buy the cheapest cable you can with a descent connector and you will be fine. The exact same thing applies to Optical cables as well, in fact any digital cable. The only time that cables will vary the quality and/or characteristics of the sound is with analogue signals.

Regards

Scaff[

ok thanks alot for all your answers. i'm going today to the mall and check out the cables and i'll buy the cheapest!

I'll keep postest on how it works and looks.

thanks

Chris

Chris

I suspect the reason he bought those was that he either could not or didn't want to order online, or perhaps he needed them right away and didn't want to wait for shipping delays. He may also have gotten a great deal on the one from Logitec, you'll never know unless you ask. :)

Get a bigger TV and the difference will be much bigger.:)

I use a 34 inch 1080i HD-Ready CRT as my dad does not want any TVs above 35 inches(he says a 34 inch is too much for him :P).

You know the cheapest and best way to turn a 26" TV into a 34" TV.... sit a few inches closer. 👍

Seriously. All the size of a TV does is allow you to sit farther away and still fill the same amount of your field of vision.

For instance, if you were sitting say 5 feet from a 34" TV, that means you are watching images at a viewing distance to screen width ratio (DW) of *2.0

2.0 is the minimum recommended DW for watching decent quality 480p material
1.5 is the minimum recommended DW for watching decent quality 1080p material
1.2 is my personal preference, and what I get in my theater with a 98" screen from the middle row

Now to achieve the exact same DW with a 26" TV, thus fill the exact same amount of your field of vision, all you have to do is sit about one foot closer (15" to be exact)

The point of a large TV is so that you can achieve the same or perhaps even lower DW without having to sit so close to the screen.

For instance, with a 60" TV, you can sit nearly 9 feet away and still achieve a 2.0 DW... where as with a typical 21" monitor, you would have to sit three feet away... which is also why your typical computer screen will "look" bigger than a 60" screen at home... that's because unless your computer screen is over three feet away from you, or you sit very close to your 60" TV, naturally the computer screen is going to fill up more of your field of vision... thus give you larger images.

This same principle holds true with any thing you are looking at. The reason IMAX screens appear so large is that there is no seat in an IMAX theater with a DW any larger than 1.2, and the closest seats to the screen have a DW of about .5... in other words they are sitting half the width of the screen away... which is bloody ridiculous as it means you can't see everything on the screen without constantly moving your head and eyes around. You can achieve this same thing by sitting near the front of your local movie theater... or sit in the back, and it will be like watching TV at home.

No, size is the one thing that will never improve the image quality. In fact, many times larger screens can look worse, because they require far more luminance to properly produce the images as they have significantly greater screen areas to light up.

The best way to improve picture quality of course is to try and buy superior displays and watch high quality video on them. IMAX films don't look better than regular movies because they are shown on a huge screen. They look better because IMAX films are not only captured using some of the best film cameras in the industry, by some of the best cinematographers in the industry, using some of the best lenses in the industry, and shot on high quality 70mm film stock that is capable of displaying four times as much detail as a typical 35mm film you see in theaters, and many times more resolution and detail found in most film transfers on DVD, and even Blu-ray... and then there is the projection equipment.

In your typical multiplex theater, they use very low quality projectors and with lamps that are well past their half lives... and often projected on low quality screens that are far too large for the lamp used in the projector to properly light the screen. Fortunately, IMAX theaters have very strict standards they must follow, and thus why they are the best possible place to watch a film in, at least in public. 👍

So, no. Simply getting a larger TV not only is no guarantee of getting a better picture, but worse yet is when someone chooses an under performing bigger TV over a better performing smaller TV. While you can always sit closer to that better performing TV, you can never get a better picture from a larger TV than what it is capable of displaying.

I suspect the reason he bought those was that he either could not or didn't want to order online, or perhaps he needed them right away and didn't want to wait for shipping delays. He may also have gotten a great deal on the one from Logitec, you'll never know unless you ask. :)

Not living in the US would be a major factor

Not living in the US would be a major factor
I'm not sure how major that is considering there are certainly plenty of international online retailers. After all, almost all of this cable is made in China any way. However, not everyone can or wants to purchase things online.

Just a heads up for those looking for inexpensive titles to add to their PS3 collection. GameStop here in America is having a "Game Days Sale" which has some games up to 50% off!!!

Here is the link:
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=135

And the following games are on sale:

Condemned 2: Bloodshot - $29.99
Viking: Battle for Asgard - $29.99
Timeshift - $29.99

Def Jam Icon - $19.99
NBA Street Homecourt - $19.99
Virtua Fighter 5 - $19.99
Virtua Tennis 3 - $19.99
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - $19.99

Also some accessories:

PS3 BluWave Remote Control - $9.99
PS3 Wireless Frontman Guitar - $49.99

Thanks for the heads up Joey!

I heard Viking: Battle for Asgard was pretty good and that price makes it more interesting that's for sure. 👍

I was also interested in Virtua Tennis 3, but not at $60... however at 1/3 the cost I'm in!

I'm on the fence about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, although that might be fun to get for my nephews as they are all big Potter fans.

Thanks again!

On the TV size thing: I agree for the most part but.....

I use a projector and have found that having a larger screen is one of the factors of feeling immersed in a game. Low lighting and surround sound also help of course!

Check the posts above that one... I'm fairly certain he understood that before buying the Logitec HDMI cable:

lol you got that right. I fully understood that but to be honest, over here the choice of HDMI cables isnt that much.

The first shop i checked out was full of MONSTER HDMI cables which were very expensive and the other one ( virgin megastore) only had 2 cables aswell.

one was for like 35$ and the one i bought was for 49$. Dont really care how much they were for.

About the online buying, like mentioned before, i'm not the biggest fan of doing that online + i didnt want to wait another week or more for my cable.

UAE forever!!!!!!

Chris :)

Thanks for the heads up Joey!

No problem, it showed up on the Bargainist, which is a fantastic website for anyone who deals shop like me.

I heard Viking: Battle for Asgard was pretty good and that price makes it more interesting that's for sure. 👍

The reviews are mixed, they say the game play is more or less the same throughout the game. Run around killing soldiers to save other soldiers. The reviews also mentioned the game being incredibly gory. I believe IGN gave it a 6/10 which doesn't make it a bad game just rather meh. I'm still thinking about picking it up.

Just a heads up for those looking for inexpensive titles to add to their PS3 collection. GameStop here in America is having a "Game Days Sale" which has some games up to 50% off!!!
Good call! None of the games interest me but:
PS3 Wireless Frontman Guitar - $49.99
Tempting. I'd rather get one at a used price though.

Oh, and I do think you missed one biggie I spotted on GameStop's site (although it's not part of the sale):
Used 60GB PS3 $449.99 - For those wanting the full BC version.

No problem, it showed up on the Bargainist, which is a fantastic website for anyone who deals shop like me.

I'm bookmarking that site as we speak, thanks.

I normally use www.cheapassgamer.com to find out about sales and deals on games, and www.pricegrabber.com is also a great site for price shopping, but it's always good to have more resources. 👍

BTW: Thanks for the tip on the reviews on Viking. I'll dig more into them when I get a chance. I may just wait until it is in the $20 range.

Sony announced movie downloads in the US this summer. Later for everyone else.

It was in a PDF presentation put online by Sony.net.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/26/ps3-movie-downloads-coming-to-us-this-summer/

Sony PlayStation executive Kaz Hirai has announced a movie download service is coming to the PS3 this summer for the US, with similar service for Europe and Japan at a later date. Hirai told reporters (via TMC) that more details will be announced month, presumably at E3. The first images of the program were found via Hirai's presentation on the Sony's corporate site (PDF file via PS Beyond).

Sony has already launched a video on demand service with the Korean PS3. The service would compete with, among others, Microsoft's Xbox Live Video Marketplace, which launched November 2006. We can't help but wonder, given rumors and advertisements, if "movie downloads" translates to general video downloads (TV, movie, etc.). We'll find out more next month.

Supposedly this will be for PS3 and PSP.

Of course, all the questions come up:

1. Will this be to own, rent, or VOD?
  2. Price?
  3. If own, can I copy it to an extrenal HDD?
  4. If own, can it be redownloaded like games?
  5. If rent, how long?

I am sure you can all ask your own questions too.

I'd like to add that they seemingly slipped this in during the PSN maintenance, you can now have 100 people on your PSN friend list!

From,
Chris.

Back