PS3 General Discussion

nick, thanks for the link!

And to that head tracking video, I seen some other video, might not be IBM even and the guy created the Head tracking with the PSEYE

I wonder If it would be possible to have it for GT5 they should send us a patch, then I would attack the CAM on my wheel with a stick LOL and it would be good to look around the CAR :)

Oh, in the end, I did not get what he says how much power it uses. He meant it uses really LOW to make the eye tracking work?

I need some help guys. When i pop an DVD in the PS3, the screen is all green. I have no idea why:confused:. Im using an ****ty SD TV.

I need some help guys. When i pop an DVD in the PS3, the screen is all green. I have no idea why:confused:. Im using an ****ty SD TV.
If you hit the Triangle button do you still get the control menu on screen or is the whole video signal screwed.

Also, as you are using an SDTV I am going to assume it is PAL. What is the region on the DVD? If it is NTSC it may not be compatible with your SDTV.

I bought LAIR and Uncharted today.

I don't know why everyone thinks LAIR sucks.
The flight controls using just the Sixaxis took too long to get the hang of it.

It was better after they added the update to allow non-Sixaxis control, but the world had moved on by that point, becuase it took them like six months.

Really, if the dragon flight worked as well as Warhawk's flight controls it would have been a pretty good game.

Quick guess, you are using a SCART lead (fully wired) to connect to the TV.

Sony in Europe for some reason added copy protection to DVD playback over SCART for the PS3 (they also did this for the PS2 as well). The green playback is not a problem with your TV, rather its the PS3 and its supposed to be doing it.

Very handy little 'feature' that one, well done Sony!!!!!!

Your only option is to use the standard leads that come with the PS3.

Scaff

I bought LAIR and Uncharted today.

I don't know why everyone thinks LAIR sucks.

I agree. I bought LAIR off eBay for just $30 a few months ago, and I while the new analog control update is a big bonus, I didn't have much of an issue with using the motion control... although maybe with the update, they also tweaked that as well?

Any way, I recently got distracted with echochrome, Hot Shots Golf, SingStar, and of course GTA4... so I never got too far into it. Maybe later this summer I'll spend some more time with Lair.

Thanks for the reminder! 👍

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I'm gonna start bashing the hell out of the 360 and M$ now. Not that I haven't before...

Please tell me you have made videos of yourself with your PS Eye.

I would buy the game just to see those.

It is SingStar that does that, right?
Yes... (I started a thread for it as well, for those interested)

However, you'll have to find which ID I have them under. :D

Besides... I wouldn't want to get caught by my fellow GTPers singing a Pussycat Song, right Scaff? ;)

DSCN1248.jpg

I have to say though, as much fun as it is to performer karaoke... we have had a really fun time browsing through many of the video and snapshot submissions from others posted in the SingStore Community Area. 👍

Here are some of our favorites right now:

DSCN1259.jpg

What can bet better than a Storm Trooper that raps? :)

I know...

DSCN1250.jpg

How about a dancing Wookie? :)

Oh, and he even sings with the voice of a Wookie! 👍

Wait, I know something even better than that... a Wookie with a hot girlfriend who can really sing... and doesn't mind him riding his bike through the apartment....

DSCN1262.jpg

DSCN1252.jpg

She can really sing well. 👍

DSCN1257.jpg

And she can lip-synch realllllly well. ;)

Speaking of 'lip-synching'....

DSCN1253.jpg

DSCN1258.jpg

:D

Has anyone played Viking: Battle for Asgard at all? It's 50% off at Gamestop this weekend and I've been thinking of getting it for a little while now. The reviews are mixed but I rarely trust game sites with their reviews.

That sing star looks like a nice game :) and you can make nice friends that are girls :P that i need lol :(

my life is so sad 21 still single:indiff:

That sing star looks like a nice game :) and you can make nice friends that are girls :P that i need lol :(

my life is so sad 21 still single:indiff:

What? Many people are 21 and still single. I'm 22 and I'm single. Sing Star will definitely get you those girls. It's a fun, non-threatening game that is also mature and geared for adults, unlike some other video game systems...

Busted!!

edit: why is there a limit of friends you can have? I had to delete some people. :(

Good question. XBL also has a limit (100).

I suppose because it is constantly updating your list and telling you exactly what each one is doing, that there may be a bandwidth limit considering the millions that are online. I know for a fact that with IDs I use that have 50 friends take much longer to load up and update the friends list, then my IDs with only a dozen friends on it... so clearly running and updating the friends lists is eating up bandwidth that could cause lagging when playing online if your friends list was too large.

Although the trouble that might also come up if you had a couple hundred friends on your list is constantly getting pop up alerts whenever someone in your list has signed in or out. I know you can turn that off, but then that means you also wont get alerted if someone sends you a message, or invites you to a game.

The great thing about the PS3, and something I have used for a long time now, is that because they allow you up to 16 user accounts *(at one time), each with their own friends list, you can then create IDs specifically for playing certain games. Thus when you want to play that game, simply log in with that ID, and now you not only don't have to be bothered with a massive friends list, but rather everyone in that particular friends list you know are people who own and play that particular game(s). 👍

*A nice feature with the PS3 is the ability to actually have even more than 16 accounts... using the same technique that allows you to use your accounts on other people's PS3. 👍

Because Sony stores all the account info on their servers, all you have to do is create an account, then when signing up for a PSN ID, simply chose the "Use Existing Account" option. Now all you need to do is put in the email address and password for that account and you are good to go.

This way, it is possible to create dozens of accounts (not that anyone would need to), and simply temporarily erase one of the 16 current accounts and add one of the other existing accounts. The only real limit is the number of accounts that can be used at one time - 16. Which is still far more than any other system, and thus would allow you a maximum of 800 friends.

Just remember though, when ever you erase an existing account, you will lose any bookmarks you may have saved on the web browser, as well as your friends list. Everything else is either saved, or can be easily saved on a thumb drive to restore later.

In my case, besides the accounts I have set up for my family and friends, I use several different accounts, not only to get content from other regions, but to use for specific games and online game leagues... like GTP's own racing league. For that league I use my GTP_DNitrate account, and thus everyone in that ID's friends lists is part of the GTP league, making it very easy to keep up with the league's events and finding those in the league I am interested in racing with. 👍

Having the ability to have many different accounts on the PS3 may be one of the most overlooked and yet one of the best features on the PS3, especially for serious gamers and or large families. 👍👍

Busted!!

edit: why is there a limit of friends you can have? I had to delete some people. :(

Indeed.

However what is far more embarrassing is that is by daughters score (beaten by my own kids) - personally I prefer murdering some REM.

It is however a fun game - even more so after a few drinks.

👍

Scaff

When you say mature game.. Its rated M for mature? Or mature people play it?
And I can get this game in the USA right?

So I am not alone ! But I mean i've been single for 21 years, I dont know about you guys ;) currently you might be single lol

hey guys,just a quick question.what is the best hdmi cable for ps3 to use on an 26'' samsung tv? oh and by the way,im writing this from my ps3 chris

hey guys,just a quick question.what is the best hdmi cable for ps3 to use on an 26'' samsung tv? oh and by the way,im writing this from my ps3 chris
The cheapest.

There have been plenty of double blind testing of HDMI cables over the years and only one thing has ever been proven to be true... in most cases, spending more than $1 per foot on HDMI cable is a waist of good money.

I'd recommend you check out MonoPrice, as they have some really good prices on HDMI cables as well as a lot of other video signal related products, like cables, switchers, splitters, adapters, etc.

For a recent A/V shootout, I bought four of their 6ft HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified 28AWG cable w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors)... at less than $4 a piece. 👍

During the shootout, although no one expected any different, we tested that cable against a $100 3m HDMI cable from Monster... absolutely no difference whatsoever.

The cheapest.

Just like beer. :)

There shouldn't be any signal quality difference between HDMI cables since it is a digital signal. A 0 is a 0 and a 1 is a 1.

I recently bought that same HDMI cable from Monoprice and a 88 cents USB cable... that's right, 88 cents. Never buy cables in store.

When you say mature game.. Its rated M for mature? Or mature people play it?
And I can get this game in the USA right?

Mature people. Let the kiddies have their Wii things and the adults will practice our karaoke skills with a few cold drinks.

The game is rated T for lyrics and such and yes, you can buy Sing Star in the US.

So I am not alone ! But I mean i've been single for 21 years, I dont know about you guys ;) currently you might be single lol

I'm sure you talk to women, yes? There are many places to meet women. Through friends, work, college, clubs, bars, online, etc. Have lady friends? Invite them over to play some Sing Star.

I third the vote for MonoPrice. I have the very same HDMI cable and when my basement is redone and I'm in need of new cables, I'll be going back.

The cheapest.

There have been plenty of double blind testing of HDMI cables over the years and only one thing has ever been proven to be true... in most cases, spending more than $1 per foot on HDMI cable is a waist of good money.

I'd recommend you check out MonoPrice, as they have some really good prices on HDMI cables as well as a lot of other video signal related products, like cables, switchers, splitters, adapters, etc.

For a recent A/V shootout, I bought four of their 6ft HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified 28AWG cable w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors)... at less than $4 a piece. 👍

During the shootout, although no one expected any different, we tested that cable against a $100 3m HDMI cable from Monster... absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Quite right, as far as HDMI cables go, for short runs, the cable with either work or not, no quality difference will be seen from buying a 'better/more expensive' cable.

Th eonly reason you would ever want to spend more on a HDMI cable would be....

• Cables runs over 5m (here cheaper cables bandwidth limits can cause signal loss)
  • Better connectors - The HDMI connector is an appalling piece of design and I have come across some cheaper cables that fit poorly and fall out, ironically however the worst fitting connector on a HDMI cable I have come across was Monster.
  • You want a cable that looks better - gold connectors and colourful jackets appeal to some people in terms of appearance - they will not however give you a better picture.

...so with runs under 5m (and the vast majority are) buy the cheapest cable you can with a descent connector and you will be fine. The exact same thing applies to Optical cables as well, in fact any digital cable. The only time that cables will vary the quality and/or characteristics of the sound is with analogue signals.

Regards

Scaff

I need some help. My friend got a PS3 just a few days ago. It will connect to his wireless connection but when he goes to get a PSN name it tells him to update, so he does. But it only ever gets a few percent of the download done before it drops the connection.
We dont have a clue what to do to solve this problem.
Please help, it will be greatly appreciated. Hes a big MGS fan and has finished 4 already and now wants to try and get MGO but obviously cant. Please help!

Do you mean that he can't update his PS3? If so, I always disconnect the PS3 from the router and link the ps3 directly to the internet, (how do you call that=== > hotwireing?).

Everytime I have to update, I firstly try with a router connection and it always fails. Than, I try to update without the router and it works like a charm.

Back