PS3 General Discussion

I have, so far, had no PS2 game problems.

Is it because I have a 60GB with hardware BC? Or maybe because I am still using an SDTV?

I have, so far, had no PS2 game problems.

Is it because I have a 60GB with hardware BC? Or maybe because I am still using an SDTV?

I have the 60GB as well, for whatever reason that is what Best Buy gave me when I had to trade it in when I had problems. Now that I think back on it I'm wondering why they had them when to my knowledge they don't sell them anymore. That aside though, it might just be because of the HDTV.

Why is that? Has it already been covered before? It's sort of annoying to be quite honest since I don't have the right hook ups for the PS2 to make it look decent on the HDTV.

Well, on the 80GB, it uses software emulation, which isn't as good as the 60GB's Hardware Emulation (which, AFAIK, has no problems), but it's only a slight difference, about 98% (IIRC) of PS2 games work.

My theory with the software, is that it is unable to process certain code that was made on some PS2 titles, including GT4, and that causes the problems, but with Hardware, it can process all the code, no matter what.

Edit: this is now irrelevant.

Now since you say you have a 60, I didn't know that those had any problems, unless somehow you got a PAL 60, which uses Software, but that's unlikely.

It's unknown if FW updates will fix this or not.

From,
Chris.

I did a side by side comparison of gt4 on component ps2 and gt4 on HDMI ps3 and they looked exactly the same as far as I could tell, the HDMI was just a little brighter. I also have a original 60gig

So is Haze really that bad of a game? It looks pretty cool to me.

Have you tried the demo yet?

I'm not a big fan of first person shooters and so I have not yet even tried out the free demo, but I personally would trust G.T's assessment as he has proven to be very well acquainted with many of the top first person shooter games on both consoles, and his reviews always seem to be unbiased and largely objective.

The disappointing thing about Haze is that it appears to be a real missed opportunity. After all, Free Radical had a great concept and a great story to be told, but from what I can tell from various reviews is that they dropped the ball in terms of editing, voiceovers, some of the controls, and less than impressive graphics. :indiff:

Ya wasn't Haze supposed to be like the Halo of the PS3? I haven't tried the demo or anything but it seems like the general consensus was that it more or less sucked to put it matter of factly.

Ya wasn't Haze supposed to be like the Halo of the PS3?

No. There isn't really anything in the gameplay or story that is similar. You are likely thinking of Killzone 2, but even that appears to have some significant differences.

I haven't tried the demo or anything but it seems like the general consensus was that it more or less sucked to put it matter of factly.

"Sucked" is probably too harsh, or at least too vague and too subjective to gain any meaning from it.

Thing that really bothers me about Haze is that it sounded like it had the basis for a good story... all this covering up the truth of war with drugs sounded quite unique and interesting but they blew it with bad voice acting, glitchy gameplay and an all togther broken game accroding to most reviewers and also people who purchased it.... pity real pity when you expected some much more from the dev that bought you timesplitters!

As for Killzone 2 everything looks great but the smoke and explosion effects seriously suck! COD4 and even GRAW2 does these effects way better (GRAW2's effects looks amazingly realistic).... maybe this is just because its an alpha build but they need to sort that out...

Another thing they need to sort is the story because its in danger of just becomming another FPS... Halo had a capticiating novel-esque story but Killzone's story seems quite bland esepcially as most dont know the story from the first game because hardly anyone bought it.

I just hope Sony and devs working for them realise they need to up thier game, Sony should buy some more studios (seems how things work now eh! :indiff:) and secure more exclusive releases. And stop going on about bloody PSN games! Pixel Junk Eden will not sell thousands of PS3's!

Robin

No, but those of us who have PS3s really want those PSN games.

I agree but such games wouldnt soley tempt you to buy an entire games console would it... thats why they are not really selling features... I think Home is the only PSN realted thing which has the potential to sell loads of systems but look how Sony have so far handled that little gem, not even a public beta! :indiff:

Robin

So, what games are allowing ingame music so far? just interested to know :)
Via in-game XMB or actually as part of the game?

I know that PAIN! and Super Stardust HD already have the option in-game.

So far, none of the games I have tried through in-game XMB have done it yet. But I haven't done any extensive testing.

I agree but such games wouldnt soley tempt you to buy an entire games console would it... thats why they are not really selling features...

On there own, sure, but there are dozens of great PSN games that can and do appeal to a wide audience. Sure, AAA $60 games on Blu-ray get a heck of a lot more press and visibility to the general public, but it's interesting to me that some of the $10 PSN games have a lot more replay value than a lot of the $60 disc games - and unlike many disc games, they are so easy to just "pick up and play", where as many disc games are linear. Heck, even GTA4 which is arguably the most open world game out there still has a fairly linear storyline that encourages playing all the way through it.

I think Home is the only PSN realted thing which has the potential to sell loads of systems but look how Sony have so far handled that little gem, not even a public beta! :indiff:

Besides the fact that it isn't even a game, but rather just an interface, how many games have had open betas? The problem with open Betas is they often get negative reactions from those that don't understand the difference between a beta, alpha, and full release game, and are quick to bitch and moan about it on the Internet, thus leading to countless unsubstantiated rumors to the quality of that game.

Personally, I'm glad Sony is spending so much time developing Home, as it appears to be growing vastly in size and scope, and if they rushed it to market imagine how all the naysayers would react then, given the high probability there would be countless bugs and glitches and lacking critical features.

So, what games are allowing ingame music so far? just interested to know :)

Besides the fact that it isn't even a game, but rather just an interface, how many games have had open betas? The problem with open Betas is they often get negative reactions from those that don't understand the difference between a beta, alpha, and full release game, and are quick to bitch and moan about it on the Internet, thus leading to countless unsubstantiated rumors to the quality of that game.

Personally, I'm glad Sony is spending so much time developing Home, as it appears to be growing vastly in size and scope, and if they rushed it to market imagine how all the naysayers would react then, given the high probability there would be countless bugs and glitches and lacking critical features.

Oh but it is a game and a huge one at that! To me its just like the Sims in better graphics for free! You can play loads of mini arcade games, enjoy loads of content and spend time roaming around, design your own interiors so in essence it is like playing, to me something like second life is a game but I do see where your interface veiwpoint comes from.

Never the less it got a great reception when it was revealed plus it is a highly unique concept that other consoles have yet to adopt on that kind of scale.. it is a console seller.

I do feel Sony could have at least given a release date if they wernt going to do an open beta.... just give us something to hope for!

Robin

Oh but it is a game and a huge one at that! To me its just like the Sims in better graphics for free! You can play loads of mini arcade games, enjoy loads of content and spend time roaming around, design your own interiors so in essence it is like playing, to me something like second life is a game but I do see where your interface veiwpoint comes from.

Likewise, I can now see how Home can bee looked at as being more than an interface... although that makes we suspect they might have to charge for it as well... especially given how much time and development it has had. I hope that's not the case, but if it really is going to be more than an interface, now I'm not so sure.

Never the less it got a great reception when it was revealed plus it is a highly unique concept that other consoles have yet to adopt on that kind of scale.. it is a console seller.

I do feel Sony could have at least given a release date if they wernt going to do an open beta.... just give us something to hope for!

As has been proven time and time again though, announcing release dates can so often backfire, especially considering how complex these designs and programs can be to develop, thus causing unexpected delays. With so many media type and rabid gamers chomping an the bit to find anything to complain about, it's likely not worth the bad press and internet flaming to say much until the product is actually ready to be released... a la Apple.

Watching Gamespot's live coverage now..... they were just talking to the dev's of Tom Clancy's HAWXS (the air combat game).... the game looks amazing they had the whole of Rio digitially done! That new Gamespot blonde girl is pretty hot! :sly:

Now they are going around the E3 floor...

http://e3.gamespot.com/live.html?tag=topslot;action;1&tag=topslot;title;1

Now they are talking with resistance PSP dev's, they have given a rough release of spring 09....... they are playing some of the game now....man it looks good for a PSP game!!!!!

Robin

I'm quite excited for HAWXS, from playing the Ace Combat series on the ps2, now getting one for the ps3 after those guys switched from ps2-x360 on us with Fires Of Liberation, I really want this game... ahha

How much would two PS3 sixaxis Controllers be worth?
Assuming I can't afford a Dualshock 3? I wouldn't pay more than $5 to $10 for each.

But as I can afford a Dualshock 3, I won't be touching them at all.

That bad eh? I'm the one selling them not buying. I just got a DS3.
Here is what you do:

Find out what your local GameStop, or other game store, buys and sells them for. Put your price in the middle. You get more money and whoever buys them saves money.

The trick is finding someone who needs/wants an extra controller and isn't able or willing to pay for a Dualshock 3.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Have you guys seen the new "Video" section of the playstation store????? Its awesome. You can rent and buy hundreds of videos, tv shows, etc etc, and it doesnt even require a firmware update. Go look now!!!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Have you guys seen the new "Video" section of the playstation store????? Its awesome. You can rent and buy hundreds of videos, tv shows, etc etc, and it doesnt even require a firmware update. Go look now!!!
Not to sound like a D-bag, but where have you been for the last 24 hours?

They announced it at E3 yesterday, showed off how it works, and then concluded with: "By the way, it goes live tonight."

But yes, it is uber cool. Check out the E3 threads for more info.

Oh, and they also went ahead and put the SSHD and Rock Band DLC up.

Here is what you do:

Find out what your local GameStop, or other game store, buys and sells them for. Put your price in the middle. You get more money and whoever buys them saves money.

The trick is finding someone who needs/wants an extra controller and isn't able or willing to pay for a Dualshock 3.

I know the drill. I was just wondering how bad it would be. I might have someone willing to buy them local here for $40.

Back