PS3 General Discussion

Motor Storm II... purty...

ms203.jpg

New news from the Leipzig Games Convention... New model PSP, 160GB EU PS3 & New Official PS3 Typepad with mouse input, the savior of console RTS?

Gamespot
LEIPZIG, Germany - Today at its press conference at the Leipzig Games Convention, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe came out swinging. Presenter SCEE head David Reeves wasted little time in unveiling two new models of his company's top gaming devices, the PlayStation Portable and the PlayStation 3.

First off, Reeves formally announced the PSP-3000, which had been rumored for several months. The model will come with a built-in microphone and a new screen that will "reduce any glare that the user may experience." The handheld will arrive October 15 in Europe via eight €199 bundles. Three games set to receive the bundle treatment include FIFA 09, Harry Potter, and Buzz! Master Quiz. On the same day, the handheld will also be released in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand; no North American release details are yet public.

Hardly breaking stride, Reeves quickly wheeled to the subject of a new 160GB PS3, which will touch down in Europe on October 31. Priced at €449, the new console SKU will come with 70 euros' worth of "additional downloadable" content that will vary from country to country. Reeves offered no information about its release in other territories.

Next up, the executive dated two other highly anticipated PS3 projects. The first was PlayTV, which launches in UK on September 19 and the rest of Europe later in the year. Announced at GC 2007, PlayTV is a digital video recorder (DVR), which will bring TiVo-like TV tuning and recording functionality to Sony's console. Currently, the service is only planned for Europe.

Next up was the official dating of LittleBigPlanet, the award-winning PS3 platformer from British indie studio Media Molecule. Set for European release on Sunday, October 19, the highly customizable game's easy-to-use toolset and family-friendly cast of "Sackboy" characters aims to expand the PS3's user base. "I believe this game is going to be a huge success and change people's perceptions of gaming," said Reeves.

The outspoken executive then announced that Sony would release a wireless PS3 keypad similar to the Xbox 360 model released last year. The rechargeable blue-tooth add-on will snap onto either the Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controller and will be available in eight versions in PAL territories to accommodate various languages. The keypad also features a touchpad mode for mouse input and "could be used for a new interface for gaming" said Reeves. He also said the keypad could be used for text messaging in Sony's forthcoming PlayStation Home service, bypassing the PS3's current cell-phone-like predictive text system.

Reeves also announced a deal with UK-based mobile music streaming service Vidzone. The deal will give British and European PS3 owners unlimited, free access to the company's music video offerings, which include such UK chart-toppers as the Chemical Brothers' "Midnight Madness" and Madonna's "Give it 2 Me." Vidzone also offers a basic music recommendation service.

377.jpg

379.jpg

ps3keypad.jpg

Personally I was hpoing for something under the analogue sticks like on the 360 controller... how are you meant to type! with you fingers?!

Robin

All these good news got me hyped! I'm looking forward to the keypad, looks really nice.

The 160GB PS3? I don't know if that might boost up sells, but is sounds good I guess. I might upgrade mine to 400GB. 👍

Is there any more info about the new PSP?

Having some problems today. Like usual, I started up the PS3. It usually just goes to the PS3 main menu page, and then starts up whatever game you have in. Today, it didn't read the disc at all. I had to take out the CD and put it back in for it to work. Then afterwards, the controller stopped responding. Remember that currently I have a DF plugged in and the controller is fully charged and I did press the PS button. Then I pressed the PS button and pressed it again to make the screen go away, so I could go back to the game. It didn't go back, the whole screen got darkened and a little icon at the top right of the screen started spinning. After that, I could only switch off the PS3 at the switch. This happens every time I start it, and it's getting damn annoying. Can anyone help?

In game if you press the PS button to turn it off, and then press back to get back to the game it just goes to a black screen and freezes with no responce.

Last edited:
Tried running Super Stardust HD yesterday. It was the first time since getting my new HDTV and running audio/video out via HDMI. But there was no sound at all.

This happen to anyone else?

I will likely delete the game file and redownload, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't another fix.

Running on a 60GB/fully BC model.

Everything else seems to be working fine.

Is everything set up correctly in Audio Settings?
As far as I can tell. Every other game and video is working on the PS3. It is just SSHD. I'll play with settings tonight just in case, but I am pretty sure it is all working well.

I see they put that "cut stuff out from the real world and put it in game" technique to good use... obviously also inspired by LBP.... Looks interesting as long as you don't have to have to use that odd pet... why can't you have normal animals! the tamagotchi effect never seems to die! :lol:

With the new 80GB version out, is there any other differences between that and the 40GB version? or is it just about a bigger HD?

With the new 80GB version out, is there any other differences between that and the 40GB version? or is it just about a bigger HD?

I think its the same spec as the 40GB with just a bigger HDD, so it has no PS2 BC or Card Readers and 2 USB ports.

Am I right in thinking that all units from now on will take this configuration regardless of HDD size? Will there be a card reader option on any model?

Robin

I think its the same spec as the 40GB with just a bigger HDD, so it has no PS2 BC or Card Readers and 2 USB ports.

Am I right in thinking that all units from now on will take this configuration regardless of HDD size? Will there be a card reader option on any model?

Robin

A 160GB PS3 is coming out for Europe and it might stay that way but you could get a usb hub and a card reader hub.

I downloaded a HD WMV video trailer and its in the VC-1 format... put it on my PS3 and it plays back with perfect picture quality but with no sound! Everything in settings is enabled. I had a look round on the net and people are having the same problem... is it just the fact that PS3 cannot play VC-1 with sound? What should I use to convert it to something else, video 9? I would prefer not too though.... is there any way of getting it to work without converting it to another format?

This is what windows media player says about the files audio coding..

Windows Media Audio 9.1 Professional
192 kbps, 44 kHz, 2 channel 24 bit 2-pass CBR

Robin

Last edited:
I downloaded a HD WMV video trailer and its in the VC-1 format... put it on my PS3 and it plays back with perfect picture quality but with no sound! Everything in settings is enabled. I had a look round on the net and people are having the same problem... is it just the fact that PS3 cannot play VC-1 with sound? What should I use to convert it to something else, video 9? I would prefer not too though.... is there any way of getting it to work without converting it to another format?
I've never had the problem myself, but I don't think I have ever gone for any HD VC-1 codecs, just SD. Usually all my HD stuff is in MP4, or whatever the PS Store is using.

Out of curiosity, any particular reason why you don't want to convert?

Does anyone know if I there's any way I can record sound files (through a microphone) on a PS3? It's either buy a PS3 or a computer, and I need a way to record my own voice (50/60 minutes per recording), and is there any way I can hook up a mic to a PS3?

Just lazy! :sly:... I might give it a go on video 9, see if it works. I dont know if it takes VC-1 though as an input format.
It does take VC-1. I used Video 9 for all WMVs before the PS3 was updated to accept them.

Does anyone know if I there's any way I can record sound files (through a microphone) on a PS3? It's either buy a PS3 or a computer, and I need a way to record my own voice (50/60 minutes per recording), and is there any way I can hook up a mic to a PS3?
Sure, you can hook up a mic, but there is no recording software unless, as noted, you install Linux. I use a mic in Rock Band all the time.

In other news I finally got the sound working on Super Stardust HD. I tried reinstalling it and that didn't work, so then I went to my sound settings and removed all surround sound options and only left it at the pre-selected 2 channel PCM options. The sound started working, but I missed my surround sound. I went back in then and turned my surround sound options back on. My thought was to eliminate them one at a time to see what the problem was, but with all options checked again it was still working, with surround sound.

The only thing that I can figure is that either the auto-detect on my system or the PS3 was trying to use the wrong signal and by starting it out at the base it made it start to detect properly.

But as I said, it was only on Super Stardust HD.

Odd as it was, it is working now, I just hope it isn't a sign that my surround system might be going out.

Well I just got a free copy of Devil May Cry 4 from a friend of mine. He works for a company that does web design and they did/are doing some work for Capcom and they got a bunch of free swag from them. He managed to grab me a copy of DMC4, along with a copy of Okami for Wii, Dead Rising for X360, DMC4 for X360, and Lost Planet for X360. Apparently, they have another box of swag coming . . . maybe I should see if he can snatch me some more stuff. :lol:

Looks like I'm Playstation-less for a little while. My launch console has bit the dust with the flashing light. Sony won't do anything but take $150 for an out of warranty repair, but I do have an extended warranty through Walmart. The only complication is that Call of Duty 4 is still in it. Does anyone know if third-party sellers can get your disc back? I assume I'll end up with an 80GB model. :(

Back