R/C car thread!

Been eyeing a few RC's lately.

Losi's 1/14 Mini 8ight Brushless Buggy. (Specifically the Drake Edition)

Losi's 1/24 SCT Brushless (micro 4wd Stadium Truck)

The Mini 8ight would be mine. Upgrade shocks, gearing. Pick 2s and 3s lipo's for it. As well a few 1/10 TC wheels and tires for street runs.
It seems like a fantastic mini and has its bigger brothers character in a smaller package.
http://youtu.be/bycG_SdBXrg

The micro's I am thinking of doing getting my boys for Christmas and doing the lipo upgrade. They are 10&12 and have several years RC experience.

Got a couple Micro T Baja's I plan to get out and going for the GF's kids to bash around when their over here. Maybe she will get her boy one the SCT's for Christmas.

Anyway. That's my thinking right now. ;)

Edit: last night I was checking out the Team Associated RC8.2e RTR. Man that thing looks more fun. I haven't owned anything (that ran) bigger then 1/10th scale. At the price this thing comes in at and the reviews I've read. This prob will bet choice.

I ran associated 1/8 th scale for awhile. Don't go with the 8.2. It isn't that great of a buggy. Most at our local track have left associated and went to other brands. I thought they were all crazy until I got a Mugen mbx7. It literally knocked 2 seconds off my lap time the first time I ran it. It's vastly superior to the 8.2. It's faster, easier to work on, and just all Aroubd better. I haven't ran or seen the new Losi ran but I imagine its much better also. The 8.2 was a disappointment for most of the associated non sponsored drivers.

Venom, was that the Rubicon you could buy from Axial, or did you buy the body seperate? That green looks real nice on the Jeep too!
P.S - Does that winch work? That's so cool.

I ran associated 1/8 th scale for awhile. Don't go with the 8.2. It isn't that great of a buggy. Most at our local track have left associated and went to other brands. I thought they were all crazy until I got a Mugen mbx7. It literally knocked 2 seconds off my lap time the first time I ran it. It's vastly superior to the 8.2. It's faster, easier to work on, and just all Aroubd better. I haven't ran or seen the new Losi ran but I imagine its much better also. The 8.2 was a disappointment for most of the associated non sponsored drivers.

I won't be racing it. More for fun. Not really a cbasher but want something that can jump. Handle dirt. Do some on road runs. For the price and all seems like a good option at the RTR price.

There is a few out there that are designed to be electric Where some others are basically nitro conversions.

Mugen and Serpent had my eye too. Just to much investment with not racing it.

Venom, was that the Rubicon you could buy from Axial, or did you buy the body seperate? That green looks real nice on the Jeep too!
P.S - Does that winch work? That's so cool.
Originally had the stock silver "Honcho" body, but I replaced it with a Pro-Line Jeep Wrangler body which I painted that lime green lol. And yes, the winch is functional. Gotta get a controller for it to work properly with my receiver/transmitter combo though...

*EDIT*
Finished the IS-F body...
100_6116s.jpg

*EDIT AGAIN*
A vid of the Exo Terra:

Last edited:
Got my Zonda F body all painted up and mounted to my TT-01:
100_6122s.jpg

Also took another group shot. Still need to cut out and paint the new body panels I bought for the Exo Terra Buggy
100_6125s.jpg

How many people have the hpi ford gt lm? I want to get one. Be an upgrade from my stadium truck. I currently have the venom gpv1, duratrax evader st, merv, and im entered to win a monster energy stampede from traxxas.

An old video, maybe some of you have seen already, but some have not.
This UAZ is so awesome :drool:

Holy crap that is awesome :drool:
I can't imagine how much work went into making that custom job.

How many people have the hpi ford gt lm? I want to get one. Be an upgrade from my stadium truck. I currently have the venom gpv1, duratrax evader st, merv, and im entered to win a monster energy stampede from traxxas.
IIRC the HPI Ford GT LM is a E10 chassis, which is HPI's budget chassis. It is roughly comparable to a Tamiya TT-01. Fine for a beginner, but not really capable of handling big speed. Would need an HPI Sprint 2 for that as far as HPI goes. I myself have an HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo touring car and an HPI Nitro RS4 MT2 truggy. Both come with 3.0cc motors, though I blew the one in my RS4 lol. Replaced it with an OS .18 CV-R motor.

Venom800tt
Holy crap that is awesome :drool:
I can't imagine how much work went into making that custom job.

IIRC the HPI Ford GT LM is a E10 chassis, which is HPI's budget chassis. It is roughly comparable to a Tamiya TT-01. Fine for a beginner, but not really capable of handling big speed. Would need an HPI Sprint 2 for that as far as HPI goes. I myself have an HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo touring car and an HPI Nitro RS4 MT2 truggy. Both come with 3.0cc motors, though I blew the one in my RS4 lol. Replaced it with an OS .18 CV-R motor.

Anything nitro I dont do. Electrics faster and cheaper in my opinion.

lol, I like nitro a bit more than electric myself, even though I tend to drive my electrics more. Namely noise, nothing like the sound of internal combustion :sly:
And in my case, nitro's have been both cheaper and faster, even when factoring in fuel. Motors, ESC's, and Li-Po battery packs all get sorta expensive. My Nitro RS4 is my fastest r/c by far lol

$100 + lipo batteries are what keep me out of getting an electric. If you really like to run your car alot and want the best batteries to compete than electric is way more expensive. I love to be able to run the track non stop when I get there. I think having to stop and charge batteries or let your motor and esc cool down would drive me crazy and I'm not willing to lay down 600$ for batteries alone just to keep my buggy going for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I looked at converting to electric at one time and it was a good bit more expensive to get started. The batteries make it cost about $600 more for 1/8 scale off road.

With the merv I can use to stock batteries to go 50+ then have a heatsink going on motor with a fan on it and the esc. And have extra batteries charging while im playing. Thatd have me going all day long.

I personally would never exceed 45 mph or so with an off road vehicle. They just do not stay stable like a low slung touring car. Especially since buggies, truggies, and trucks tend to have a much higher CG than touring cars. Till I put some less grippy tires on my Exo Terra, it would traction roll uber easily, and it only tops out at 40 mph. Really, my 50+ mph Nitro RS4 is plenty fast for me lol. I might try to make an electric touring car as fast as it though. I just wish there were more shaft driven AWD touring cars, since all the fancy ones seem to be belt drive.

It really comes down to how well it's set up. I have a perfect setup now with my Cougar SV2 and I race on a very rough astroturf track, and from the National meet to weekly club events, we can hit over 45mph and have no trouble with stability. I would however have doubts with something like a MERV with stock tires on loose dirt - i'd get out the way pretty quick before I got hurt! Even with some decent rubber like Dirt Hawgs, there is no way it would have the stability of a proper 1/10 off road car.

Because matte black is sexy.
100_6196s.jpg

^ Now with a 3S li-po and different gearing to keep speed in check. Still need a new pinion gear to change the gear ratio further. Also plan on getting an LED light bar to replace the 5 now non-functional roof lights.

And some more random r/c pics:
100_6195s.jpg

100_6199s.jpg

And now I got a carbon fiber upper chassis for my Nitro RS4...
IMG_0014s.jpg

Still need carbon fiber front and rear shock towers, aluminum threaded shocks, and a flat pack LiFe or NiMH battery pack for my receiver.

Got a question for all of you: I am running a Schumacher Cougar SV2 atm, and there will be a new Cougar this Christmas. However, should I go looking for a kit that has been reduced and get myself a good deal? CML have been selling off the B-MAX 2 MR, should I try one of them?

Last edited:
Got a question for all of you: I am running a Scumacher Cougar SV2 atm, and there will be a new Cougar this Christmas. However, should I go looking for a kit that has been reduced and get myself a good deal? CML have been selling off the B-MAX 2 MR, should I try one of them?
Sorry, I dunno lol
Don't keep up with off road stuff a whole lot myself. That and most people I know are into Traxxas and Losi stuff.

Anyway I obtained another touring car, this time a Tamiya TA-06, which I had originally built for a friend:
IMG_0018s.jpg

IMG_0020s.jpg

I plan on doing a few upgrades such as a carbon rear shock tower, some TRF aluminum threaded shocks, and a carbon fiber battery cover. I also need to buy a 2nd Z-Tune GT body, as I messed up painting the one in the pic, so I had to paint it on the outside lol. Still looks plenty good though...
Came with a Castle Sidewinder SV3 ESC, a Castle 1406 5700kv brushless motor, a Castle BEC, and a Savox SC-1258TG steering servo.

These are wonderful, can anyone point me in a direction where I might find reasonably priced rc tires and wheels? Obviously private would be best, but I am putting together a car for one of my Engineering classes. Probably should have consulted you guys earlier.

These are wonderful, can anyone point me in a direction where I might find reasonably priced rc tires and wheels? Obviously private would be best, but I am putting together a car for one of my Engineering classes. Probably should have consulted you guys earlier.
Road tires or offroad tires? Cheapest tire/wheel combo I know are these: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/5-spoke-chrome-wheel-u-groove-4--DYN7951
They also have some other styles for the same price. Probably can find them in a local hobby shop if you have one nearby.

Road tires or offroad tires? Cheapest tire/wheel combo I know are these: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/5-spoke-chrome-wheel-u-groove-4--DYN7951
They also have some other styles for the same price. Probably can find them in a local hobby shop if you have one nearby.

Road tires, personally I'd wish for them to be touring types. I wanted to purchase online since my degree of study doesn't give me much time to go to stores and what not. Family life and all that, you know?

Oh and many thanks for the help.

And now a new group pic:
IMG_0022s.jpg

Left to right:
Axial SCX-10 (Proline Jeep Wrangler body)
HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo (HPI Lexus IS-F Racing Concept body)
Tamiya TA-06 (Tamiya Nismo Skyline R34 Z-Tune GT body)
Tamiya TT-01 (HPI Pagani Zonda F body)
Axial Exo Terra Buggy

And a bunch of spare bodies in the background...
Tamiya Ferrari Enzo (TT-01)
HPI Nissan 350Z (RS4)
HPI Pagani Zonda F (RS4)
HPI Plymouth 'Cuda AAR (RS4)
Tamiya Nissan R35 GT-R (TT-01, TA-06)
HPI Dodge Ram 1500 (RS4 MT2)
Axial Trail Honco (SCX-10)
ProLine Ford F150 SVT Raptor (SCX-10)

And TA-06 vs Nitro RS4:
IMG_0012s.jpg

(Pic is kinda old, as it was taken right before I got the carbon fiber upper deck for the RS4)

Updates for my Tamiya TA-06 and Axial SCX-10 since my last post...
100_6252s.jpg

Tamiya TRF fluorine coated shocks
MuchMore Racing ultra high rpm motor cooling fan (30x30mm)
Tamiya carbon fiber rear shock tower
Tamiya aluminum motor mount adapter
Tamiya stabilizer bar set
HPI 26T 0.6M pinion gear

100_6253s.jpg

Proline Powerstroke Scalar shocks

My Axial Exo Terra Buggy is next in line for some upgrades...

Last edited:
Wow I've been here on GtPlanet for 3 years now and somehow I've never seen this thread till now. Very nice looking R/C's here.:) One of you might be able to answer a question of mine. I just got a really good deal on a slightly wrecked E-Revo VXL over the holidays. Question is when I get the sufficient funds I'd like to go li-po and I'm looking for some advice on who makes good batteries and chargers now-a-days. I was into R/C pretty big as a teenager but that's been a few years.:lol:

Cougar KF build is going well, a slight issue with the plastic guides on the gearbox pulley but other than that it's going very well. Pictures to be posted tonight (should be done by then).

Back