Rapid Tire Wear after update

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I read, PD failed. There is still no strategy as the pace of racing softs is so much higher than that of racing hards or mediums, even if you pit constantly you'll still be faster.

I think this tire wear change is a winner decision by PD. Finally racing strategy and driving style matters.

I think PD had the right idea, making a grippier tire wear quicker, but the implimentation unfortunately failed.

I'm mostly racing GT500 on racing tires, so my comments are limited to these cars. Here is what I think would fix it.

1, Increase grip level on the RH to RM level, but mainain the wear level to around 2x longer than RS as current.

2, Slot the RM tires in between RS and the "new" RH as per #1

3, Potentially reduce wear level on all racing tires proportionally.

Not that difficult to do. Probably just change some parameters in the physics model. Then we would be able to have real strategic races using the different tire compunds.

No because you're still quicker on RS even if you have to pit twice as many times.

In the ring, you need to pit pretty much every lap with RS which will cost you 30 seconds a lap or so which I doubt you can gain back with just the better performace of the tyres.

Cosbuster
In the ring, you need to pit pretty much every lap with RS which will cost you 30 seconds a lap or so which I doubt you can gain back with just the better performace of the tyres.

With racing hards how far on the ring can you go.

I have gathered some pitting stats from the 2011 24h LeMans race.

The winner, Audi R18 TDI completed 355 laps and did 31 pit stops. This makes an average of 11.45 laps between pits.

The Peugeot 908 did 355 laps with only 28 pits averaging on 12.67 laps between pits ol la sarthe.

Neither of these cars are in GT5, but it would be awsome if someone could preform a test on la sarthe with the Audi R10 TDI and the Peugeot 908 HDI FAP with RH/RM/RS to see what number of laps you can make with the different tires. You can also compare lap times to see wich tyre is closest to the times achived.

I'll summarise the stats here:

Audi R18 TDI, 11.5 laps between pits, Best lap 3:25.289, avg lap 3:40 ish

Peugeot 908, 12,5 laps between pits, Best lap 3:26.298, avg lap 3:40 ish

I'm currently offshore on a chinese drilling rig:( Itching to get my hands on the new 2.02 patch and the new DLC. But I guess that have to wait to 12th of January, when I get back home.

Would be awsome if someone could do a little testing for comparisom.

Don't forget that the Audi and Peugeot teams triple stinted the tyres.

They only changed tyres when they changed drivers. The other stops are fuel stops.

The Nürburgring might be an exception because of its length but imagine you're driving a less long circuit.

Some tested it on Nüburgring GP/F and in the end he was quicker on RS by 12 seconds compared to the RH. He had to make a pit stop but still managed to be quicker.

My test from last night with two other drivers who are equal in skill.

Track: Tokyo R246
Car: Arta gt300 (stock, no tuning)
Laps: 34 (about 1 hr)
Results:
Car 1: 4 pit stops, RS tires each time, winner
Car 2: 3 pit stops, RM tires each time, +0.:43
Car 3: 2 pit stops, RH tires each time, +1:02

Conclusion:
If the race ended between laps 8-12 the RH driver might have had a chance to win. The RS driver said he was done after 8 laps. After that first pit stop cycle, it only took 3 laps for the RS driver to catch back up and basically drive around the RH driver. Then the entire race was in favor of the RS driver. The RH driver was running 7 seconds off pace by lap 12 so trying to stretch for 1 pit stop was pointless. The RM driver was able to draft for a while but couldn't keep pace. The race would have to be significantly longer for any RM/RS strategy to play out.

So basically, on Tokyo R246 RS tires are still your go-to tire. They will run 3 seconds faster initially, but still provide better grip as they wear down putting you ahead even after extra pit stops.

We also ran a quick 10 lap race at High Speed Ring. This race was tainted by accidents, but the RH driver won when the RS driver had a late race spin out on the final turn, presumably due to tire wear. I think RH tires may help drivers on fast tracks, but for typical road courses, they will put you at a disadvantage unless the race is between 10-15 minutes in length (too short for a pit stop but too long for a set of RS tires).

Overall, I am not impressed. There is still a little strategy to be found, but the tires drop off their peak too quickly on tracks with lots of turns. The RH tires would need to maintain their pace longer to be a viable endurance option.

Last edited:
The Nürburgring might be an exception because of its length but imagine you're driving a less long circuit.

Some tested it on Nüburgring GP/F and in the end he was quicker on RS by 12 seconds compared to the RH. He had to make a pit stop but still managed to be quicker.

Was his suspension the same for both or did he chang it to suit the tyres?

Oh yes they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This years 24 hour of Le Mans, LMP drivers of the Audi #2 (the only Audi left after the McNish and Rockenfeller crashes) car battled with all 3 Peugeot LMP's for the entire 24 hours. Not sure of the exact margin of victory but the Audi won by less then a minute. The Audi trailed Peugeot for a good portion of the race. The drivers of both the Audi and the Peugeots HAD to drive qualifying style laps for 24 hours.

Along the topic of the thread, there were triple stints on tires for a lot of cars in that race. We can't do that in GT5.

And what was their fastest race lap compared to their fastest qualifying lap?

Was his suspension the same for both or did he chang it to suit the tyres?

I did the test, and I used a RH setup for both "races".

I later changed to a RS setup and was going around 1 sec/lap faster with the RS car, ie the delta would have been even bigger in favor for the RS car.

To me, its cristal clear. For GT500 cars, RS is still much faster over the race distance regardless if long or short despite extra pit stops. Its not even close.

I think they should of made the RM and RH tires last longer and left the RS tires the same as they were.
Not very impressed with this update. Way too many changes to game at one time. I like the fact they are trying to make it a better game. But they need to read the feedback on there changes to see how many players liked or disliked them. Then take action and correct or tweak there changes to suite the players needs and wants. After all without us there would be no them.

Last edited:
Has anyone confirmed the new tire wear in either of the F1 cars, particularly the F2007? At Indy-Road Course last night I did 15 laps (full fuel) on RH. My fronts were down to about half and I was getting 1:10's-12's. Using RS (full fuel) it did another 15 laps and the fronts were down about a half there too with lap times around 1:08-1:11. I'm pretty sure I selected the correct tires at pit stop, but saw no difference in tire wear. I did have 1-2 spin outs in the hard tires and some rubber burning getting straightened out, but I would think the rears would be most effected and they appeared to have the same wear too.

Last edited:
I think i see where PD are going with this. Although many of us here at GT planet drive long races (20+ laps) online, the majority of online racers do not go above 4 or 5 laps. With this in mind im sure PD adjusted the tyre wear to try to push straegy into lower lap races. Yes its a bit crazy how rapidly the softs are burnt out now but I know ill get a buzz on shrter races now wondering if the guy in front of me will push his tyres too far.

However, for the A spec endurance races it seems a bit much! I guess we should all be on the hards for these races. Does seem a little knee jerk from PD - but it spices the game up for me and gives us a new challenge.

Last edited:

Results:

Conclusion:
If the race ended between laps 8-12 the RH driver might have had a chance to win. The RS driver said he was done after 8 laps. After that first pit stop cycle, it only took 3 laps for the RS driver to catch back up and basically drive around the RH driver. Then the entire race was in favor of the RS driver. The RH driver was running 7 seconds off pace by lap 12 so trying to stretch for 1 pit stop was pointless. The RM driver was able to draft for a while but couldn't keep pace. The race would have to be significantly longer for any RM/RS strategy to play out.

So basically, on Tokyo R246 RS tires are still your go-to tire. They will run 3 seconds faster initially, but still provide better grip as they wear down putting you ahead even after extra pit stops.

We also ran a quick 10 lap race at High Speed Ring. This race was tainted by accidents, but the RH driver won when the RS driver had a late race spin out on the final turn, presumably due to tire wear. I think RH tires may help drivers on fast tracks, but for typical road courses, they will put you at a disadvantage unless the race is between 10-15 minutes in length (too short for a pit stop but too long for a set of RS tires).

Overall, I am not impressed. There is still a little strategy to be found, but the tires drop off their peak too quickly on tracks with lots of turns. The RH tires would need to maintain their pace longer to be a viable endurance option.

So basically the strategy hasn't really changed at all. Now we just have to pit 3x as often as before. Great! I love PD and the GT series, but sometimes they really leave me scratching my head. Maybe they need to spend a little more time testing the game. They should have been able to figure this out themselves

Neither of these cars are in GT5, but it would be awsome if someone could preform a test on la sarthe with the Audi R10 TDI and the Peugeot 908 HDI FAP with RH/RM/RS to see what number of laps you can make with the different tires. You can also compare lap times to see wich tyre is closest to the times achived.

I tested this pre-patch and completely stock the R10 could go 10 and 908 managed 11. Times where similar (on race hards), the pug slightly faster and the audi a bit slower than he ones you wrote. Since wear is increased even for hard tyres you'll get fewer laps now. As mentioned previously, in the real race they didn't change tyres every stop.

I have gathered some pitting stats from the 2011 24h LeMans race.

The winner, Audi R18 TDI completed 355 laps and did 31 pit stops. This makes an average of 11.45 laps between pits.

The Peugeot 908 did 355 laps with only 28 pits averaging on 12.67 laps between pits ol la sarthe.

I'm currently offshore on a chinese drilling rig:( Itching to get my hands on the new 2.02 patch and the new DLC. But I guess that have to wait to 12th of January, when I get back home.

Would be awsome if someone could do a little testing for comparisom.
I did some testing last night in the 908 Oreca Matmut that I used to win the race with. Left the settings as they were and just changed the oil.

Pre-update, I was doing 8 lap stints on RM. Didn't use RS or RH as I like to use what the AI are using.

Post-update:

RS 3 laps
RM 4 laps but maybe 5 possible with better set-up or better driving
RH 6 laps

The AI generally did 10 laps pre-update. Post-update, the Hybride stops after 5 as it wears its tyres out faster. The other LMP cars go for 6 laps but the 6th lap is a mess. The Viper goes for a long time (didn't write down how many) but it is still way to slow to gain an advantage.

The difference in lap times isn't as great on La Sarthe, due to the flat-out nature of the course. I think all 3 compounds could be usable in a race.

edit: I was using TCS 4 and ABS 1 at all times.

edit: I was using TCS 4 and ABS 1 at all times.
Watch out for ABS=0. I accidentally checked the new disable option in my online lobby. Lock up the tires once under heavy braking and you'll chew through your tires!

Results:

Conclusion:

Nice job!!

This reminds me of GT3 enduros. (the miata one)

Results:

Conclusion:

Great test!

Our 32 lap Nascar was a great test too online. I used RS for qualifying, and RH to start, RH first pit, RH second pit, RM for the third pit for extra grip to catch the leaders, then fourth pit RH and a splash of fuel to finish second behind the leader by 7.9XX seconds, but was closing the gap.

Conclusion: Using the raw power of RWD, we found that the LSD in a Nascar is very important. The settings should reflect slow and easy acceleration and braking (not to mention the rest of the cars tuning). Now we must all adjust our driving style slightly in order not to rip the tires up. So throttle control and easy braking (abs-1) was needed. I found it to be a great racing experience, even sweating a bit to get by others on the track. I would say it was anyone's race when it started.

I welcome the new change!

What PD need to do is give each tire a different cliff (look up the term if you do not know what it means).

RH tires should have a very gradual cliff. Grip should reduce evenly until about 90% tire and after that the reduction in grip should not be a drastic curve. While they loose initial grip more easily, they should degrade slower.

RM should be about the same but start to decrease grip more rapidly at around 85%. Like medium states, it should be about half way between RS and RH in terms of degradation rate and grip level.

RS should be extremely grippy but once they hit 80-70% degradation should rapidly decrease in grip.

Essentially a smooth drive should be able to use RS tires and go a little faster than someone with RH but have to pit sooner.

Me too guys I change my mind that its extremely unrealistic. I was at the mcdonalds drive thru 2nite and we all had to pit two times before getting our order on the other side of mcdonalds. So it all checks out. Then I saw a pig flying a jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back