Rapid Tire Wear after update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, we got that clear now. Faster cars with more downforce = larger pit stop deficit and significantly shorter driving distances. I'd agree we need a slider for the amount of tire wear.

I know a lot people are for this, but I'm not liking it too much...

I run a lot races on ovals for NASCAR, muscle cars and super cars and such like that. That being said, I used to be able to run 30+ laps (mostly in NASCAR). But now I'm only able to run 10 in softs, IF that and around 15 in mediums. I know in real life, NASCARs can go around 25 laps, and that's because of fuel.

Basically, I think PD made it somewhat too strong and it's kinda messing up the oval racers like me.

They should do what some PC sims have done. Wear on each compound with options like normal, 2x, 4x, 8x and same for fuel consumption. Not sure whether they will do it but some one should tell them to implement this in GT6

My test from last night with two other drivers who are equal in skill.

Track: Tokyo R246
Car: Arta gt300 (stock, no tuning)
Laps: 34 (about 1 hr)
Results:
Car 1: 4 pit stops, RS tires each time, winner
Car 2: 3 pit stops, RM tires each time, +0.:43
Car 3: 2 pit stops, RH tires each time, +1:02

Conclusion:
If the race ended between laps 8-12 the RH driver might have had a chance to win. The RS driver said he was done after 8 laps. After that first pit stop cycle, it only took 3 laps for the RS driver to catch back up and basically drive around the RH driver. Then the entire race was in favor of the RS driver. The RH driver was running 7 seconds off pace by lap 12 so trying to stretch for 1 pit stop was pointless. The RM driver was able to draft for a while but couldn't keep pace. The race would have to be significantly longer for any RM/RS strategy to play out.

So basically, on Tokyo R246 RS tires are still your go-to tire. They will run 3 seconds faster initially, but still provide better grip as they wear down putting you ahead even after extra pit stops.

We also ran a quick 10 lap race at High Speed Ring. This race was tainted by accidents, but the RH driver won when the RS driver had a late race spin out on the final turn, presumably due to tire wear. I think RH tires may help drivers on fast tracks, but for typical road courses, they will put you at a disadvantage unless the race is between 10-15 minutes in length (too short for a pit stop but too long for a set of RS tires).

Overall, I am not impressed. There is still a little strategy to be found, but the tires drop off their peak too quickly on tracks with lots of turns. The RH tires would need to maintain their pace longer to be a viable endurance option.

Thanks for the test. Though 4 pit stops in 34 laps. What real life race series do you get 4 pit stops in 34 laps?

Tokyo is not even bad on tyres, as most corners are pretty fast with little chance of wheelspin. Try do a 38 lap test on grand Valley and the guy on race softs would likely pit 6 times. to me that is dumb.

Prior to the update. I ran 38 laps at GV and did a 3 stop strategy pitting when tyres were at around 50%. 2 others who are better on tyres than me did a 2 stop and came 1st and second, despite me being a second faster around there.

As I use a pad, and am average on tyres, the same 38 lap race would be stupid, and would be pitting 6 or so times if using racing softs.

Ok, we got that clear now. Faster cars with more downforce = larger pit stop deficit and significantly shorter driving distances. I'd agree we need a slider for the amount of tire wear.

Those who haven't done the Nurburgring 24 Hours are in for a real treat.

I finished it 2 days prior to this update. In the dry on Softs, I ran 3 laps per stint, 4 if more careful with throttle control, Mediums would make it 3 laps tops. Hards, I didn't really bother.
I think the AI uses mediums for this event but I could be wrong.

I just ran some laps with the Peugeot 908 that I used for that race, post 2.02. By the way it's a shame they tweaked the engine sound for the 908, but that's a different thread.

Results were the following, Softs lasted me a lap and a half or so, mediums about 2, the second being quite uncomfortable, and hards last 3. Three hairy laps if you're not on the ball.

I also ran a wet conditions test with the Mazda 787B at Le Mans, same car I used for the 24 Hours there, and I'd need some confirmation from others here, but racing softs are clearly outdone by the intermediates now (as it should be) braking points and speed through turns were much slower, however intermediates still grip better than the full rain tires in 100% surface water.

Those who haven't done the Nurburgring 24 Hours are in for a real treat.

I finished it 2 days prior to this update. In the dry on Softs, I ran 3 laps per stint, 4 if more careful with throttle control, Mediums would make it 3 laps tops. Hards, I didn't really bother.
I think the AI uses mediums for this event but I could be wrong.

I just ran some laps with the Peugeot 908 that I used for that race, post 2.02. By the way it's a shame they tweaked the engine sound for the 908, but that's a different thread.

Results were the following, Softs lasted me a lap and a half or so, mediums about 2, the second being quite uncomfortable, and hards last 3. Three hairy laps if you're not on the ball.

I also ran a wet conditions test with the Mazda 787B at Le Mans, same car I used for the 24 Hours there, and I'd need some confirmation from others here, but racing softs are clearly outdone by the intermediates now (as it should be) braking points and speed through turns were much slower, however intermediates still grip better than the full rain tires in 100% surface water.

Wets do grip more than inters on 100% surface water but I havent tested after the latest update. It could be different if you have low grip reduction on wet track and if you have no tire wear.

No because you're still quicker on RS even if you have to pit twice as many times.
Long race distance or real race distances and with real amounts of drivers will always have traffic

Unless you have ghost arcade penalty which is nothing realistic on then RS all the time is probably better

But theres also fuel that connects with strategy so its not just traffic.

Wets do grip more than inters on 100% surface water but I havent tested after the latest update. It could be different if you have low grip reduction on wet track and if you have no tire wear.

I did do the test on low grip reduction since that's the default setting in A-Spec races. And prior to and after V2.02 inters have better grip than full wets on 100% surface water.

I did do the test on low grip reduction since that's the default setting in A-Spec races. And prior to and after V2.02 inters have better grip than full wets on 100% surface water.
You should test online with real grip reduction and tire wear / fuel load.

Do not look at how hard the car is to drive but look at your lap times and you have to drive correctly with 100% surface water to see the difference.

You should test online with real grip reduction and tire wear / fuel load.

Do not look at how hard the car is to drive but look at your lap times and you have to drive correctly with 100% surface water to see the difference.

I want to figure out strategies for the offline races that have low grip reduction.

You're really just stating the obvious with your other comment.

Hmmmmm........It definitely has to do with driver/driving style. I just did a test on 24hr Nürburgring in my lounge. I used the recommended CALSONIC GTR with racing hard tyres, all aids off, ABS off (I think this is the smoking gun) and grip reduction on real. I lasted 6 laps until I had to pit. Lap times were between 9:00.xxx - 9:15.xxx. I never go for fastest lap times, I always try to be as smooth as I can and I never try to push the car 100%.

I'll try another test later today. I didn't notice my total driving time.

Last edited:
Full on slicks have better grip than wets with low grip settings!

Edit: Do not fall for the post above this one! Just some spammer...

Jav
Full on slicks have better grip than wets with low grip settings!

Edit: Do not fall for the post above this one! Just some spammer...
I concur with slicks being better with full wets, although with V2.02 it seems slicks aren't as competitive as intermediates in full wet conditions.

I concur with slicks being better with full wets, although with V2.02 it seems slicks aren't as competitive as intermediates in full wet conditions.

Race softs are not good for anything since the update!

Race Softs with a GT500 after 4 laps are at 50% on trial mountain

R Med's wear faster than the R soft on spec 2.01 and Race Hard last about the same as RS of Spec 2.01.

So effictively, Race soft and Race mediums are unusable tyres now.

How difficult is it PD?

it depends but if you drive too slow then sure its unusable.

Formula 1 used to.

You are correct! They used to! Not any more, it is just so costly that every racing series just droped it! Most series now require you to start in the same tires you qualified on to ensure that the wealthier teams do not adopt this practice.

Jav
You are correct! They used to! Not any more, it is just so costly that every racing series just droped it! Most series now require you to start in the same tires you qualified on to ensure that the wealthier teams do not adopt this practice.
In monaco this year all of the cars used supersofts in qualifying which lasted 6 laps when pushed to the limit. In the race start most cars were using supersofts too.

In monaco this year all of the cars used supersofts in qualifying which lasted 6 laps when pushed to the limit. In the race start most cars were using supersofts too.

And exactly what does that have to do with my post?

So basically what's happening is, tires of a harder compound are finally lasting longer than tires of a softer compound, but the harder compound tires are only lasting a bit longer when they should be lasting much longer? Correct?

So basically what's happening is, tires of a harder compound are finally lasting longer than tires of a softer compound, but the harder compound tires are only lasting a bit longer when they should be lasting much longer? Correct?
That's what tool4sno says on his F1 tests , he says he spun twice too so that should make a lap of difference but I haven't tested that of what he tested yet.

Kind of, where Racing Soft tires used to last 15 laps they now last 5, Race Mediums last 7 and Race hards last 9. Some people like it some people don't, where most agree is that we need some sort of adjustment where the current wear rate is the minimum and 3 to 4 times the durability is the maximum.

Yes omg the smallest bit too much gas and they glow red. It's so hard to set the LSD now since its so different than before. Haven't tried it in an endurance race, but it sucks.

Jav
Kind of, where Racing Soft tires used to last 15 laps they now last 5, Race Mediums last 7 and Race hards last 9. Some people like it some people don't, where most agree is that we need some sort of adjustment where the current wear rate is the minimum and 3 to 4 times the durability is the maximum.

Thanks for clearing that up, l like the feature, but an adjuster would be nice, I agree.

This is great news, they have fixed the compound issue!
One of my friends just posted they have noticed the following

I dont know how this will affect drifters but for organised grip racing online its got to be good news.
Nice one:D

This has affected drifting quite significantly. The comfort hards used to last about 30 minutes before wearing out. Now they wear out after a few runs, like the comfort softs do except slightly slower, of course. Obviously more realistic and it makes tonight's competition fun because after so many runs, tire preservation comes into play.

Thanks for clearing that up, l like the feature, but an adjuster would be nice, I agree.

For casual online 5 lap races it isn't such a big deal, but for series that run 1-2hr races it really is kind of stupid having to pit 10 times.

Jav
For casual online 5 lap races it isn't such a big deal, but for series that run 1-2hr races it really is kind of stupid having to pit 10 times.

I understand ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back