Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is what people usually call a cry for help... but in your case it would be a "cry for ban"... sheesh, what a lame joke.

Either way, I honestly don't think this thread is to discuss who gets banned and why. Even without your taunting he seems to be quite childish and makes very toughtless posts, so don't feel too guilty.

Diego440
this is what people usually call a cry for help... but in your case it would be a "cry for ban"... sheesh, what a lame joke.

Either way, I honestly don't think this thread is to discuss who gets banned and why. Even without your taunting he seems to be quite childish and makes very toughtless posts, so don't feel too guilty.

We are kind of friends though, I guess...
Now I'm kind of looking over my posts because I have something like 7.14 posts a day. I'm looking at what I can avoid so I can cut down on the number of my crappy posts. I don't want to be next.

I lost points for some stupid joke about this person making a ludicrous claim about BX's Blazer. Can't remember though, but I try my best and I do give points around frequently to people.

I think this site needs a rep point counter at the User Control Panel. Easier to keep track of points given and deducted.

If you want to discuss how close to ban you think you are you can make yourself get a hell of a lot closer to one by small talking about it in an unrelated thead ;).

Thanks Everyone for the well wishes. Sorry it took so long to respond. I got the badge friday afternoon and I barely touch a computer on the weekends.

*McLaren*
Ok, so they have the TOS and allow spam. But do they have serious and decent conversations, keep ON-topic, and talk like a person should?

That's the difference between GTP and others. We may share the same rules, but we actually try to keep things neat and tidy, and try to keep a thread on-topic, on its subject, and not what you think about some guy's avatar, signature, or views on something non-related.

I know that, that's why I made a comparison, the same TOS, but yet the others allow spam. A new member only knows the forum's TOS and for the rest has to figure out how serious the forum is he just joined. It's not that easy to judge a forum in a couple of days.
Though something tells me he saw it coming, and he knew he had to stop...:irked:

HACKr
Yeah, I don't think Rouge should've been banned. I mean, I kind of egged him on a bit. But this post of mine is terrible and it wasn't even deleted. I may have lost a few rep points though.
(About the 'Egg CCX)
This is not the thread for this discussion. Famine explained his actions out of courtesy, and invited everyone to get back on the topic of reputation points. He even stated clearly that he was not going to discuss the Rogue banning further.

Please heed that post and keep this thread on the topic of reputation points.

Duke
Please heed that post and keep this thread on the topic of reputation points.

Yeah, it would suck if this thread ended up being closed -- it's currently the only one for announcing new members of the "Quality Posters club" and congratulating them, which makes it fairly important, IMO. :)

me
I honestly don't think this thread is to discuss who gets banned and why

Duke
Please heed that post and keep this thread on the topic.

Right, so I already said it and no one heeded...

Perhaps I should open a thread called "I should me admin!"

Diego440
Right, so I already said it and no one heeded...

Perhaps I should open a thread called "I should me admin!"

I'd love to watch your rep points decline at record pace! :lol:

Anyway, let's do as Duke and Diego said and keep it on topic.

GT4_Rule
I lost points for some stupid joke about this person making a ludicrous claim about BX's Blazer. Can't remember though, but I try my best and I do give points around frequently to people.

I think this site needs a rep point counter at the User Control Panel. Easier to keep track of points given and deducted.

(Hey, I'm back on topic now!)
Thats a great Idea. I hate having to click on suspected posts to see if they got or *gasp* lost any rep. It can get a tad annoying.

HACKr
Thats a great Idea. I hate having to click on suspected posts to see if they got or *gasp* lost any rep. It can get a tad annoying.

I can't argue with that. Though I don't believe Vbulletin is setup for that with the rep points.

HACKr
Jordan has already investigated that feature, and it's activated, but it's not working. Nor can he figure the problem out.

I wonder if he's had any feedback from the techs at VBulletin regarding that.

Wow! I was just thinking that exact thing a while ago. I was just going to post it here when I realized everyone was already talking about it. I wonder what the problem could be.:confused:

GTPlanet Help
Users with the "Quality Posts" denotation have been labeled as such by the GTPlanet community. These users have more than 300 "reputation" points.

Reputation points are given by clicking on the red check mark next to the "Post #" of any given post. A "Good" rating for a post gives the user 10 reputation points, and a "Bad" rating for a post subtracts 10. You must have at least 100 posts to rate others, and you must rate at least 10 other user's posts before you can rate the same person again. You are also limited to 10 votes, or ratings, per day.

This system is designed to only reward the highest quality posters with the badge. Any abuse of the system could result in individual banishment or removal of the reputation system entirely

IMHO, there is something def. wrong with this system.
I thought the system was to distinguish the people who made Posts that made sense, that actually educated people, and somehow contributed to this site.

So tell me how posting a picture of funny things, or being scared of a moderator because of his muscles deserves rep?

Honestly, tell me how that deserves rep?

Ok, so dude's got muscles. But being scared does not mean you give rep points! Guy posted funny pics. OK, but how is that a Quality post? In my eyes, a quality post is informative, straight to the point, and maybe even an intellectual, independent thought.

Either way, when I think of a Quality Poster here, I think of someone who makes posts that can inform and be a very contributing post to the site, not someone who posts non-informative pics.

In all conclusion, I think the system is starting to get used for the wrong things. I thought it was something that would only be given to the most deserving members, the members who actually post a non-bs, direct post that practically lets you learn from it.

If it's a post in the "funny pic" thread and it's a very funny picture, then that's a quality post.

As far as the mod thing goes, it's not a measuring stick for future moderators. Jordan has already said the mods are already quality posters as far as he's concerned.

So, while I kind of see what you mean, your main points are not consistant.

live4speed
If you want to discuss how close to ban you think you are you can make yourself get a hell of a lot closer to one by small talking about it in an unrelated thead ;).

Uh....you referring to me?

I don't think I am close to a ban. Even though I never get rep points, I don't get on moderators' nerves, now.

No.

Regarding the use of the rep system I think to a degree both Swift and McLaren are right, yes some people give rep for the wrong reasons. But also as Swift said, something as simple as a funny pic might deserve rep if posted in the right thread if it's a funnier pic than most.

I never get rep points, but then again I dont really do somthing thats 'out there' or amazing to deserve them...... although there has been times where I made an effort and got nothing for it..... so sometimes people dont even bother.....:confused:

I think, as said above, if you're well known and have a lot of friends here, you are more than likely to get rep than anyone else. It's a little unfair really. I try my best to prevent this though.

I don't visit the areas where you visit too much myself, so I don't properly know what you post like as I don't see many of them.

But even when you're going to give points, it doesn't say if you think it's a quality post or not. You have the choice to put if you agree or not.

Robin ///////
I never get rep points, but then again I dont really do somthing thats 'out there' or amazing to deserve them...... although there has been times where I made an effort and got nothing for it..... so sometimes people dont even bother.....:confused:

This can be a problem for sure with Reputation systems that uses a voting by peers mechanics. One thing that helps is 'consistent' posts that are quality. Not every post is read, and when they are read, people don't automatically think, "hey, that was a good post...I should throw some reps out there.". For me, I would rather people be too wrapped up in what I'm trying to say in the post and have it distract them from thinking about reputation points. I know that for myself, I will almost forget about the reputation system but will occasionally make an asserted effort to really critique the posts that I am reading and click on the red check!

So yeah, rep points are very much an organic thing and only a percentage of your quality posts will actually get recognized, but again, consistency in your posts seems to be the key here.

I earned 70 rep points in no time(something like 3 weeks) and have been stuck at 70 for a month now I believe:lol:

It's very unpredictable, and because everyone recently makes good quality posts, you won't really stand out anymore. You can say GTPlanet itsself should earn a "good quality forum" badge.

That it should, GTP is quite possible the most mature forum that contains such a large and wide variety of people on the web. It certianly is out of all the ones I know of.

live4speed
That it should, GTP is quite possible the most mature forum that contains such a large and wide variety of people on the web. It certianly is out of all the ones I know of.

Very true. Its the most organized and proper forums I go to. Thats why I enjoy it here :)

Edit: Seems like ViperGTS got the Quality Posts badge too.

Niels
I earned 70 rep points in no time(something like 3 weeks) and have been stuck at 70 for a month now I believe:lol:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat; not much more after a week, but I've neither trawled for people to rep me, nor clicked on too many in return (maybe 4 posts). I only just figured out who's reped me just last week.

I'm not concerned, anyhow.

Edit:I noticed someone rep'd me on this post. Come on! I've typed better, funnier, and more-informative posts than this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back