Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seem like people usually get rep for posting a really useful thread, or making some kind of tutorial, instead of just for certain posts in a thread somewhere. Makes we want to contribute something too, but I can't really think of anything that hasn't been done yet.

All 23 of my points were for specific posts (at least 21 of them were, then negged 6,then the other 8 i dunno)

Rogue Ssv
All 23 of my points were for specific posts (at least 21 of them were, then negged 6,then the other 8 i dunno)
Usually when person does something like that, they get a lot of rep on one post, quickly racking up points. Maybe not as often, but thats a time when lots of rep is given out.

He says when you post a good post you'll get a lot of points and end up stuck there until you post really well again, as I have.

A lot of people do that. Someone has navy, and the guy 'with the Gallardo' has blue.
But what does that have to do with repetition points?

GT4_Rule
I meant the "blue" thing.

Maybe he's trying to imitate Famine :lol:
Hey, Famine's the smartest dude I know, I wouldn't mind being like him.

EDIT: Sorry about this, I should stay on topic.

If reputation points were around 15 months ago I may have had some more than I currently have. Can a Mod go back and give rep points for old stuff when a fellow member has given a well done or a thank you?

All that positive feed back I got for my GT3 write up surely deserves some reputation.
Come on guys, go give me some.👍 👍

Uncle Harry
If reputation points were around 15 months ago I may have had some more than I currently have. Can a Mod go back and give rep points for old stuff when a fellow member has given a well done or a thank you?

All that positive feed back I got for my GT3 write up surely deserves some reputation.
Come on guys, go give me some.👍 👍

Openly asking for rep points isn't the way to go about getting them. Yes, it's true that if rep points had been around from when I joined I'd probably have the badge too by now, but they haven't. It's also true that many threads which probably deserve rep (created by everyone, not just you) have gone un-repped, whether they're from before or after the introduction of the system. That's life. It's not the end of the world not having the badge, is it?

Even if the mods could go back and rep all your old posts (which I don't even think is possible, given the limits of the system), why would they want to? You know that if they did it for you they'd get asked by hundreds of members. They'd have to spend days/weeks on end going through all the old posts on the forum. In the time they're doing that they're (arguably?) not doing any useful work for the forum. Then there's the matter of whether or not a member would have given you rep for the post had the system been in place then. Just because someone says "thanks" or 👍 doesn't mean they would have given you the tick. There are plenty of occasions I've thanked someone for a post or given them the thumbs up without repping them. Some posts just don't warrant it.

The bottom line of the rep system, IMO anyway, is that if you continually make high quality, good contributions to the forum you're going to get the badge. That's how it was intended and I think it's working fairly well.

Uncle Harry
Sorry amp88 I forgot the link to make it easy for the mods.

Hope this helps.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51387

LOL.:) :sly:
Did you read what amp88 said? Asking someone to rep is abusing the reputation system.

Even if you asked the Mods to do it, they wouldn't do it because they would be abusing the system, and Mods aren't really supposed to do that. If they DID, that means all members would get the idea and abuse the system more and become very unfair.

G.T
Did you read what amp88 said? Asking someone to rep is abusing the reputation system.

Even if you asked the Mods to do it, they wouldn't do it because they would be abusing the system, and Mods aren't really supposed to do that. If they DID, that means all members would get the idea and abuse the system more and become very unfair.

I feel like the naughty kid at school again.

Uncle Harry
I feel like the naughty kid at school again.

Ok, that's fine, but you can be sure that the mods and admins won't be going back in time to rep all the old posts. As you said, if they did it from the time I started I would've had the QP badge inside of a week, even before I was a mod.

So I'll say it again, PLEASE, do not abuse the rep system and report any suspected abuse to the mods.

Does my signature constitute an abuse of the rep system? :nervous: (The red bit.)

I just assumed this was a good way of pointing out the rep system to new users, it's how I discovered it!

SuperT
Does my signature constitute an abuse of the rep system? :nervous: (The red bit.)

I just assumed this was a good way of pointing out the rep system to new users, it's how I discovered it!

No, because you're not asking them to rep one specific post. It's perfectly fine.

No, that's perfectly acceptable and simply advertising the rep system itself. You're not offering to trade rep points for anything.

[edit] Treed!

Ditto, always thinking outside the box and coming up with some great discussion points :)

You may have had your online identity hijacked a few weeks back, but we know the real JohnBM01 when we see him :sly:

I've never even heard of this guy "John" but congratulations anyways.

Great job Scaff too, you deserved it a long time ago.

live4speed
He posts most in the GT5 forums.
Yeah, he's like Scaff. He posts threads about good topics and all his posts have a lot of detail. And he mainly posts in the GT5 and game forums. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back