RVR's 1st Annual 525PP European Car Shootout!!! Final Tester and Tuner Results! :D

• Thread starter Akira GT
  • 1,341 comments
You have to remember that he drives with a DS3, and you have a wheel. My own time was a lot faster as well, but that does not really mean anything in these contest.

Very true. I know I tuned my Evora to be fast and loose, and I don't expect any of the drivers to get close to my time. I enjoy watching the results unfold.

I'm not saying that he can be faster or slower than anybody.Talking about laptime I think he is a very fast driver. I've used DS3 during 10 years before the wheel and i don't remember that it was harder to drive a 4WD than a FR or MR ,without talking about sport tires and no AIDS. That's all i'm saying.

It's possible to have some mistake, i know my car and all the cars in the contest. We will see with the others R8. If my car is really slow, it's OK too ,no problem.

I'm not saying that he can be faster or slower than anybody.Talking about laptime I think he is a very fast driver. I've used DS3 during 10 years before the wheel and i don't remember that it was harder to drive a 4WD than a FR or MR ,without talking about sport tires and no AIDS. That's all i'm saying.

It's possible to have some mistake, i know my car and all the cars in the contest. We will see with the others R8. If my car is really slow, it's OK too ,no problem.

Of the ones I've gotten to so far, yours is the quickest praiano. Although I'm not even within spitting distance of Indy's or your times. There's just something I don't get about Laguna.:dunce:

For me the R8 had power issues. It handles superb and was easy to drive. It just didn't have the straight line grunt in it's top end. Power and Power to weight ratio suffered from limiting and an abundance of torque. That's just for me.

One of the draw backs to a high torque output engine in a PP specific Shootout is the more torque you have the less HP in the top end you can squeeze out. Notice our cars are not far off on weight but I'm running much more top end HP. This is because I'm running a engine with much less torque.

@Assassin :lol: Just having fun with what your wording. I agree with what your saying completely in regards to different driving styles and certain cars and tracks being better for certain people. I was shocked that CSLACR didn't do a lot better with my car here in his impromptu test of it a couple days ago, who knows maybe I'm closer to the "perfect" lap in my Pikes Peak than I am with others that have a much greater potential. No matter what though its all good as long as I beat the super lightweights times!:D(looking to run over some lotus and a fireblade here):crazy::lol:

KrenKme: Opel Speedster Turbo: 1:31.440 I thought I had come to grips with this one after initial runs, had to really concentrate on my line with this as well as throttle control or it's backside would come around. It was a blast going thru the corkscrew and I had my hand full under breaking in here as well as Andretti and it lost all it's grip took me time to finally break early and let it roll thru before lightly getting it back up to speed. Krenkme Thank You, while I enjoyed this it was a handful.

Thank you very much for that! For the last 16+ years of playing Gren Turismo I never knew if my tunes were good or if I was just digging myself into a hole with them...along came the GTP world:tup:
This car seems to fit my driving style but I might have "overtuned:yuck:" this car to make it friendly...but made her evil.:scared:. I agree a hand full....I was really trying to get the corkscrew right because alot of time can be made/lost there. Again thank you, and thank RVR for the chance to be in the shootout, it was a blast:D:D

EDIT = My time was only 1:34.002 great job!!!! (stupid 0:00.002 sec!!!!!!)

Last edited:
XDesperado67
@Assassin :lol: Just having fun with what your wording. I agree with what your saying completely in regards to different driving styles and certain cars and tracks being better for certain people. I was shocked that CSLACR didn't do a lot better with my car here in his impromptu test of it a couple days ago, who knows maybe I'm closer to the "perfect" lap in my Pikes Peak than I am with others that have a much greater potential. No matter what though its all good as long as I beat the super lightweights times!:D(looking to run over some lotus and a fireblade here):crazy::lol:

CSLACR is a she ;) (that's right)

I'd like to time warp it to GT2 and Run your Audi ON Pikes Peak. Drift a few cliff corners, yah-naw-mean!

done for the night thanks for the feed back this has been a real treat:sly: going to finish runs on the last couple tunes.

Indy

For what it's worth, I found the R8 much faster than the TTS, just about a half second or more slower than the CSL, the CSL has my best lap time, but I'm pretty sure the GTR would have beaten it with more tuning and laps.
I chose the CSL completely out of bias, once I saw it was good enough to be competitive, I never considered another car.

CSLACR: BMW M3 CSL ‘03: 1:28.959 Did you tune this just for me?(inserts Tag Line)Zoom Zoom..A true Dream drive. Best lap fell on lap 7 and I was shacking the stars lined up and everything slowed down saw my next apex a turn or two earlier(wish I would have saved the replay)and well that's all.Thank You
:D Yes, as a test driver, it actually was tailor made for you.

Best check CSLACR homepage and what is next to the user ID. Not that I have anything against alternative lifestyles but...just saying.:D
Drag Racing?

@CSLACR yes! "Drag" racing...that's it exactly.:lol::crazy:

Awe you changed it...oh well gotta have fun somehow.:)

Okay, here are my results! I've decided to post them in video form, I thought maybe tuners might get more feedback from this than if I tried to describe each car in words - I'm not eloquent about describing tunes like Indy, lol.

I compiled all the runs into 2 videos, ordered by... the cars I drove slowest to the ones I drove fastest. (Apologies for the sound, it's horrible. I know, should get a capture card.)

For the cars I scored poor times for - especially the Caterham - I'm sorry :( I know they can go faster, I just couldn't handle them well enough to get a nice lap with. For what it's worth, I tended to spend more effort on the slower times than the fastest ones; the fast ones usually came easily. I'm a DS3-using, automatic shifting, lead-thumbed player, and probably get my best times with the easiest cars.

That said... I tried a lot of these cars earlier, without your tunes... and every single one improved, usually by a lot. When I was running my own cars, I was very happy to get a 1:32 and most of these tunes performed far better. To the tuners who picked difficult cars, kudos for taking the risk and I never would have gotten them around the track as fast as I did otherwise.

129.779 zero_speed Evora '09
130.110 slayer1002 M3 CSL '03
130.320 CSLACR M3 CSL '03
130.414 praiano63 R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07
130.506 madmyk Zonda C12 '00
130.650 -raVer- M5 '08
130.964 dylan R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07
131.010 bigberry Countach LP400 '74
131.176 AssassinTuner M3 '04
131.228 ACSR421 Audi TTS Coupe '09
131.247 CHRYSTALBUDS R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07
131.313 shmogt Miura P400
131.340 Desperado67 Pike's Peak quattro '03
131.561 GfxJG Zonda C12 '00
131.629 dr_slump M3 '07
132.185 Mafiaboy Gallardo '08
132.236 Temetias Speedster Turbo '00
133.154 krenkme Speedster Turbo '00
136.731 CyKosis1973 Caterham Seven Fireblade '02

Last edited:
@smrtb0mb: Nice run in the evora buddy. TBH when I heard you are a auto GB guy I wasn't sure what would happen lol. Great job!

Last edited:
Okay, here are my results! I've decided to post them in video form, I thought maybe tuners might get more feedback from this than if I tried to describe each car in words - I'm not eloquent about describing tunes like Indy, lol.

I compiled all the runs into 2 videos, ordered by... the cars I drove slowest to the ones I drove fastest. (Apologies for the sound, it's horrible. I know, should get a capture card.)

For the cars I scored poor times for - especially the Caterham - I'm sorry :( I know they can go faster, I just couldn't handle them well enough to get a nice lap with. For what it's worth, I tended to spend more effort on the slower times than the fastest ones; the fast ones usually came easily. I'm a DS3-using, automatic shifting, lead-thumbed player, and probably get my best times with the easiest cars.

That said... I tried a lot of these cars earlier, without your tunes... and every single one improved, usually by a lot. When I was running my own cars, I was very happy to get a 1:32 and most of these tunes performed far better. To the tuners who picked difficult cars, kudos for taking the risk and I never would have gotten them around the track as fast as I did otherwise.

I'll assemble the times into a list for convenience shortly, for now you can watch the videos spoiler free haha.
Before I watch, I'm sure they'll ask for all time written down as well, it'll make it much easier for us to know, for example, which long video to watch for our laps.
That said, thanks for videos, this should be excellent insight for us all.👍

NOW I read the last line...:lol: :dunce:

I'll assemble the times into a list for convenience shortly, for now you can watch the videos spoiler free haha.
👍👍 Great stuff even though you couldn't get my 2 ton monster around the track faster than some whimpy Lotus Evora!:crazy::lol:
Thanks for sharing the videos...like they say a picture is worth a thousand words...so I can't count high enough for videos.:D

👍👍 Great stuff even though you couldn't get my 2 ton monster around the track faster than some whimpy Lotus Evora!:crazy::lol:
Thanks for sharing the videos...like they say a picture is worth a thousand words...so I can't count high enough for videos.:D

My whimpy Evora (David) knocked your Goliath on its ass lol.

So here my testing results. I will keep updates in this post.

My idea to take part in this shootout was to act as a contrapoint to all the high sophisticated test-drivers. Beeing very average skilled and running on auto-shift and the original X/O DS3 controller layout it is clear that my lap-times are not competitive. Also I more love to drive in the 400-450pp section and Laguna Seca is my hate track.

But perhaps my findings will give some usefull hints for other sunday-drivers, which of your fine tunes might serve them.

Unfortunately due to some unplanned IRL activities needing my attention, I can not spent the time to duly appreciate the fine work of the tuners. So I decided to go for a 5 clean laps for all the cars in order to give you at least some results from my side.

All tests were done in training-mode, grip=real, aids off, except ABS=1.

Temetias: Opel speedster Turbo:
Knowing that I cannot control this car in stock form I was keen to see the improvements from a decent tune. And I have to say the tune improved the car quite a bit, but still I personally would never choose the car in any race-event. I allways had tho fight instability and this is reflected in a desaterous 1:37,793
Second test: 1:35,456

Madmyk: Pagani Zonda C12:
This one I found to be very pedictable in its behavior. Very stable under breaking, felt like glued to the road in the higher speed corners, but I had to be very carefull to go onto the throttle after sharp turns in order to prevent rear snap. Perhaps a longer 2nd gear would make corner-exit with auto-trans easier to control. The higher gears might have been a bit shorter as I always got the feeling that this car would be able to accellerate faster. Overall a very fun car to ride. 1:35,565
Second test: 1:33,827

Praiano63: Audi R8 4.2 ‘07:
Wow, this one is driving like on rails. Very stable in accelleration. Very good high-speed-cornering (corner 4). Good gearing. I only had to be a bit carefull not to overheat the front tyres while breaking into Andretti hairpin. 1:33,719
Second test: 1:31,378

Dylanslo: Audi R8 4.2 ‘07:
Nice ride. This was the second Audi R8 I tested after Prajanos tune. So compared to that car I had more problems to achive consistant laps. In comparison the car was more prone to get hot tyres at the outside both under breaking and accel and therefore I had to care more not to overshot at Andretti corner. 1:33,914
Second test: 1:31,449

ACSR421: Audi TT Coupe'09:
Jumping into the TT after the R8. Another very stable tune with nothing to complain about. In comparision to the R8 it was faster in slow corners and slower in fast corners, where I encountered a slight unwillingness to turn. Gearing in the lower gears was perfect to me, but the higher ones might have been a bit shorter for auto-trans. 1:33,718
Second test: 1:33,053

BigBerry: Lamborghini Countach LP400 '74:
This car gave a good overall feeling, beeing a bit more slippery than the Audis driven before. Sometimes I had to fight sliding sideways in corners a bit. Again gearing on higher gears could have been shorter for auto-trans, while low gears were ok. 1:34,248

CSLACR: BMW M3 CSL ‘03:
Nothing to complain about the setup, but for my driving style a bit too loose. I had problems to get on the gas again on corner exit. 1:34,375
Second test: 1:34,001

GfxJG: Pagani Zonda C12 ‘00:
Like the other Zonda a bit snappy at corner exit, but for me better to control than MadMyks version. 1:35,243

KrenKme: Opel Speedster Turbo:
Sorry KrenKme, as I wrote for Temetias' tune the Opel is just not the car I like to drive. So its not your tune but me, ending in a miserable 1:36,915

XDesperado67: Audi Pikes Peak
What an amazing car once you get the hang of it. A collos with 2tons, which feels slow, more like a 450pp car until you look at the speedometer and notice how fast you're going. This heavy thing needs early breaking in the straight, otherwise the outside tyres will go red, and the back will come round. But even then its easy to countersteer. Good neutral cornering and not the slightest wheelspin at corner exit, which makes me wonder, if you could even shorten the gears for auto-trans. 1:31,134
Second test: No Improvement

Cykosis: Caterham Seven Fireblade:
Good fun to drive this car, even though I couldn't do any fast laps with it. Quite sensitive to steering input and likes to get instable on corner exit if you over-do, but no flaws unless I didn't manage to get it to a decent speed. It was just the opposite to the Pikes Peak driven before: It felt fast but was slow. Perhaps with more time I would have managed to take benefit from its fast corner speeds and late breaking points due to lightweight. 1:38,225
Second test: 1:37,752

Zero_speed: Lotus Evora:
Wow, this one was a pleasure to drive. Feels lively, perfect to control, you almost could mindlessly throw it into corners, no wheelspin at acceleration but also not the impression that gears are too long. Neutral in the high speed corner. The only thing, if your're searching for complaints might be that you have to be a bit carefull at corner exit not to overdo things. 1:31,858
Second test: No improvement

-raVer- : BMW M5
Although I like to drive BMW IRL, I more and more figure out that their tail happiness in GT5 doesn't exactly fit my driving style. For a DS3-driver with standard O/X layout its just at the limit to control throttle to prevent snap oversteer. Also under heavy breaking the outer front tyre tends to get quite warm, so you should have done most of the breaking in the straights. Cornering in general seemed to be pretty neutral. Gearing was good. 1:33,945

Shmogt: Lamborghini Mirua
A very lively tune. In my hands it feelt a bit oversteery and loose and you had to be carefull on the throttle not to overcook. To be honest it took me some time to adapt my driving to this beauty, it seems as it likes to get unstable once you get off the gas and therefore loves added a very lite throttle input remaining when coasting around corners. But once you get the hang of it its really a joy to drive. Gearing and breaks are flawless for my taste. 1:33,182

dr_slump: BMW M3 coupe '07:
Compared to the M3 CSLs driven before this car felt very stable to drive. Sticky to the road and neutral in the corners. Nothing particular to complain about this setup, but the car didn't thrill me either. Gears for autoshift were perfect - no wheelspin but narrow enough. Break balance was perfect as well. 1:33,732

GTP_Mafiaboy: Gallardo
This one I drove with special interest, as I allways had difficulties to keep the stock one on track. And I have to honour, that the setup really changed everything. The car felt glued to the road, forgiving and even a bit conservative. Sometimes I felt a little unwillingness to turn, particular in slow corners. The gears were setup even a little high for my taste, which helped to avoid any wheelspin but perhaps with a more agressive setting there might be found another splitsecond. The front braakes were quite pronounced, so you had to be a bit carefull not to overheat them. But at the end of the day, this easy-drive setup served me a 1:32,988

Slayer1002: BMW M3 CSL:
After I discovered that the M3'07 suited me more than the M3 CSL, I didn't expect too much from this car - but I was prooved wrong. This version still was challenging to handle going on throttle after corners, but felt to be on the save side making the car vivid and a joy to drive. Well for my taste a bit loose, but still controllable. No particular under/oversteer to complain about, and gearing & breaks worked fine either. 1:32,279
Second test: 1:31,765

Jackthalad: Audi R8 4.2
A very stable tune, but the car for me lacks some kind of live and feels heavy. I had some issues in high-speed turning and felt somehow the lack of power or shorter gearing, when I compare it to the other R8 tunes. 1:33,035

AssassinTuner: BMW M3
Very responding to steering input, but for my style a bit too loose with the tendency to breakout if you get onto the throttle too early. Outer front tyre was prone to get red under heavy breaking so as outer rear tyre if you get on power a split-second too early. Taking an early apex to be in a straight for acceleration helped to avoid that issue. Gearing was good. 1:33,422

Drivers choice:
From the R8: dylan
From the various M3 incarnations: slayer1002

Last edited:
BigBerry: Lamborghini Countach LP400 '74:This car gave a good overall feeling, beeing a bit more slippery than the Audis driven before. Sometimes I had to fight sliding sideways in corners a bit. Again gearing on higher gears could have been shorter for auto-trans, while low gears were ok. 1:34,248

Thats the problem with only having five gears , I had to compromise a little for top end.

Thanks to all the testers so far.

Edit- I wasnt in Smrtb0mbs first vid , the whole time im thinking please not me next haha .

Lol, I obviously watched the faster of the vids first, because I had a good feeling about my tune. So when the 2nd to last one wasn't me I was like "**** YES!", and then I see a vivid orange Lotus Evora.... Lol...

Lol, I obviously watched the faster of the vids first, because I had a good feeling about my tune. So when the 2nd to last one wasn't me I was like "**** YES!", and then I see a vivid orange Lotus Evora.... Lol...

I also watched the 2nd vid first, watching all the cars I had started to lose hope near the end lol.

BigBerry: Lamborghini Countach LP400 '74:This car gave a good overall feeling, beeing a bit more slippery than the Audis driven before. Sometimes I had to fight sliding sideways in corners a bit. Again gearing on higher gears could have been shorter for auto-trans, while low gears were ok. 1:34,248

Thats the problem with only having five gears , I had to compromise a little for top end.

Thanks to all the testers so far.

Edit- I wasnt in Smrtb0mbs first vid , the whole time im thinking please not me next haha .

I had a very good feeling with your Lambo, i love the tune,congrats...

Me too, when i've check the video, i begin by the first slower cars because my first test was bad with Indy. It was good to see that it make better this time.
This is the reason why i love this track to drive, but i never tune any car on it. It's very dificult to repeat the same time driving the same way (even if i know any centimeters ) and because of this you can't compare settings.
The results of this shootout are showing this too. I'm shure the others will confirm this iregular tendency.

I had a very good feeling with your Lambo, i love the tune,congrats...

Me too, when i've check the video, i begin by the first slower cars because my first test was bad with Indy. It was good to see that it make better this time.
This is the reason why i love this track to drive, but i never tune any car on it. It's very dificult to repeat the same time driving the same way (even if i know any centimeters ) and because of this you can't compare settings.
The results of this shootout are showing this too. I'm shure the others will confirm this iregular tendency.

I think what makes it difficult iis the fact that its a short track, with plenty of moderate to high speed corners. The corkscrew if not taken right can slow you down too.

Thanks Praiano, I really dont know what im doing I just go with what feels good.

Brakes are the only area im confident in, although as a DS3 user I dont know how that translates to a pedal. I brake hard and late.

Had a typo in review with Dylanslo, this was my bad and I apologize for the mix up(note to self if I do anther shootout use word or works and not some stupid pen and paper that I have to sit for hours and translate) combined two times.

Update underway with times and reviews.

Thanks RVR for hosting this awesome competition!! I had a blast..

Indy

PS smrtb0mb wonderful idea loved the video

For the cars I scored poor times for - especially the Caterham - I'm sorry :( I know they can go faster, I just couldn't handle them well enough to get a nice lap with. I'm a DS3-using, automatic shifting, lead-thumbed player.

136.731 CyKosis1973 Caterham Seven Fireblade '02

Don't worry good Sir, you round a lot like me, auto shifter, non-wheel driving and club thumbed!! Your times are comparable to my own. I suspect you're only getting one or two corners wrong, and by wrong I just mean the rear end slipping slightly, that's all it takes. The car is way down on power, despite its ridiculously low weight, so it takes a while to recover any lose.

Which all makes our Indy look like something of a Legend..!!

Thanks for your time and efforts smrtb0mb...

{Cy}

PS - I'll watch the vids when I get home, currently in the wilds of Scotland :-)

Back