S.N.A.I.L. Open-Wheel Shoot Out - Tuesday nights - Open To All

• Thread starter Oshawa-Joe
  • 645 comments

Do you want a Parity component added to this series?

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • What are you talking about?

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
👍

Got the G27 hooked up now but I have no place to put the shifter. I think that is one of the reasons I haven't been using it. Also need to extend the leg room in the sled. Now to see if I can crack the pedal housing on the DFGT.

The Brake has two torsion springs. While there bend the thicker one open farther to improve brakes and help return.

You could take small one to a hardware store and purchase a little heavier one and replace it too. ;)

Radio Shack has some potentiometer cleaner that works amazing. I had an old powered sub that I thought the amp was going bad. Research says clean pot. So I got this. Sprayed it. It foams some. Let it soak. Wiped clean. And viola. Sub is like brand new. I was amazed. The stuff leaves a lube behind and the dial was like butter. Great stuff.

Good luck. :)

Oh tear pedals apart over a towel so any parts are caught on it and no chasing crap. If you can find a person or a way to let pedals dangle while flipped over removing screws. It makes it easier. If the pedals are sitting on table they push out of slots. I'd say kitchen sink with a towel draped allowing the foot part to touch and pedals dangle.

Last edited:
Radio Shack has some potentiometer cleaner that works amazing. I had an old powered sub that I thought the amp was going bad. Research says clean pot. So I got this. Sprayed it. It foams some. Let it soak. Wiped clean. And viola. Sub is like brand new. I was amazed. The stuff leaves a lube behind and the dial was like butter. Great stuff.

Good luck. :)

This?

I've been using CRC QD, but I'm going to try DeoxIT when this can runs out.

This is the stuff I used:

8b4183ff.jpg

These potentiometers are in my DFGT pedals? Another question, well more a poll I guess, what FFB do you guys like for the G27? Since I used 10 on the DFGT I started at 7 for the G27. Really long day at work today and not enough time to play around with all my toys. I got 1 hour to mess around before my second shift.

Thanks for all the help guys. Nothing more sucky than a sticky brake pedal. Kinda feels like getting hit in the wedding tackle.

Chiochan
These potentiometers are in my DFGT pedals? Another question, well more a poll I guess, what FFB do you guys like for the G27? Since I used 10 on the DFGT I started at 7 for the G27. Really long day at work today and not enough time to play around with all my toys. I got 1 hour to mess around before my second shift.

Thanks for all the help guys. Nothing more sucky than a sticky brake pedal. Kinda feels like getting hit in the wedding tackle.

Or driving for a month without full accelerator, before noticing :lol:

June 18th, 2013 Results

1. Nic-KL..................96
  2. OwensRacing........91
  3. dabneyd..............78
  4. dragonwhisky.......74
  5. kcheeb.................72
  6. hillracing...............66
  7. Tex-36.................58
  8. Oshawa-Joe..........50
  9. hooker4................44
  10. GTSuchiiyaSan.......40
  11. whatbadgerseat.....38
  12. chuthulugoat..........30

Congratulations to Nic-KL for winning 1st prize for the overall win. Please pick the new car for next week as it must be changed. Tracks may be selected once the car has been picked.

Prizes are as follows:

1st Nic-KL next weeks car

2nd OwensRacing picks new track #1

3rd dabneyd picks new track #2

4th dragonwhisky picks new track #3

Tracks are picked after car selection has been made.

Final Results will be updated soon.

Thanks once again kcheeb for the help with the spread sheet during the event. I know it's distraction for you to work on it when you rather be focusing on getting some quality laps in and get ready for the race. I hope to improve the wifi in the house and move my lap top to where I race. Need to free you up!

Thanks everyone for racing. Hope you all enjoyed the first week of Open-Wheel Shoot Out.

We will have a Season Champion every 4 weeks. zer0 may even through in some real life prizes 👍

Thanks once again kcheeb for the help with the spread sheet during the event. I know it's distraction for you to work on it when you rather be focusing on getting some quality laps in and get ready for the race. I hope to improve the wifi in the house and move my lap top to where I race. Need to free you up!

Thanks everyone for racing. Hope you all enjoyed the first week of Open-Wheel Shoot Out.

We will have a Season Champion every 4 weeks. zer0 may even through in some real life prizes 👍

Hey Joe,

I don't mind entering the scores at all. I'm used to doing it and usually have it done before the results screen disappears. Besides, I've found having one person doing the room setup etc. and another doing scores makes things manageable for both 👍

It doesn't take away from my racing at all, what I need is to make time for practice!

I'll set up a season sheet that'll automagically do the sums :)

Real life prizes, woot!!!

In the Global Steering Settings I have Steering Type set to Simulation (not sure if it applies to G27 since the icon for it doesn't light up when on this setting), Power-Assisted Steering set to On and Feedback Strength set to 4. I found having FFB higher just makes it shake more without really adding anything of worth to my driving. 4 is enough for feedback to be meaningful but not overbearing and doesn't put undue strain on the device.

The potentiometer should be connected to the pivot shaft at the bottom of the pedal lever. Since I've never taken mine apart I don't know for sure, but that seems the logically cheapest place to put it.
While not specifically the DFGT, this post has pictures of the insides of a similar pedal set.

Last edited:
Power assisted steering on? What does it do? Thanks for the help.

Basically when you go to steer fast like drifting it. It reduces FFB.

As stated using 5 and below with this off is the best feel. :)

Power assisted steering on? What does it do? Thanks for the help.

Not really sure since I've had it set to on since getting my G27. I suspect it lessens the wheel lash (maybe not the right term there) when turning. In other words it augments, just like real power steering, your arms strength in maintaining steering input during turns. I don't know if you've ever driven a car that didn't have power steering or rack and pinion, but some of us old timers have and we inevitably called it, when asked what kind of steering the vehicle in question had, "Armstrong Power Steering". Although it is actually worse than old non power assisted steering, take the belt off your power steering pump, go drive it around the block and you'll know exactly what we meant. It will literally take both arms to turn the wheel any appreciable amount. I have no idea how race car drivers managed in the 50s and 60s with out power steering or modern day mechanical implementations. Which is probably why the wheels were so big then. Needed the leverage.

Basically when you go to steer fast like drifting it. It reduces FFB.

As stated using 5 and below with this off is the best feel. :)

You saying a fat and weak old guy should turn off power steering? :sly::boggled::crazy::lol:

Not really sure since I've had it set to on since getting my G27. I suspect it lessens the wheel lash (maybe not the right term there) when turning. In other words it augments, just like real power steering, your arms strength in maintaining steering input during turns. I don't know if you've ever driven a car that didn't have power steering or rack and pinion, but some of us old timers have and we inevitably called it, when asked what kind of steering the vehicle in question had, "Armstrong Power Steering". Although it is actually worse than old non power assisted steering, take the belt off your power steering pump, go drive it around the block and you'll know exactly what we meant. It will literally take both arms to turn the wheel any appreciable amount. I have no idea how race car drivers managed in the 50s and 60s with out power steering or modern day mechanical implementations. Which is probably why the wheels were so big then. Needed the leverage.

Oh man. Try it with that off and set FFB at 3 or 4. Much more connected feeling. ;)

I put in a manual rack on my fox body mustang at one point. Drag skinny tires up front and mainly straight line purpose. Combine that with a full spool and you got yourself a car that will flip 180 before you know it in rain or roads with dirt/gravel in the turn. LoL never again will I do a spool in a street driven car. Need it to open up at least some in the turns. Air lockers would be perfect. But $$$

Oh man. Try it with that off and set FFB at 3 or 4. Much more connected feeling. ;)

See above edit. And yes. I'm considering it. Not sure I really want to do anything that might kick me up into D2. Kinda comfortable where I'm at... That's how it gets sometimes with old fat guys. Testosterone levels recede a bit and comfort becomes much more important than jammin gears, sawing steering wheels, and having balls of steel. That would probably be why I drive an automatic with power assisted rack and pinion steering and seat warming butt wipers!

What year mustang did you run and how fast was it? I had an 86 Gt and then a 93 coupe.

Had a couple. That one was a 306 with Edelbrock RPM heads ported. Bread box upper. GT40 ported lower. Custom ground cam. Vortech S Trim at 15lbs Tremmec TKO. On Dunlop 18" 275's it would light the tires up at 60mph. LoL

Didn't have enough fuel pump and blew it up after about a month. :( Sold it and bought an Iroc with a 406 SBC AFR Heads, 9". All motor car. Not as fast but fun too. Have had 4 Fox bodies. 3 ran and were built 2 blown. Couple 3rd Gen Camaro's. Couple 4th Gens too. LoL

Evo when done should be the quickest one. That one I described though was fast. Maybe with proper fuel system and drag radials it would of been low 10's high 9's. which would smack the Evo around. That car was built back in 1996/1997 before drag radials.

---------------------------------------------------

Track Pick:
Laguna Seca

Last edited:
If you don't have the Prowler. It's available from the OCD. Change oil and its ready to go!!! Grab it while you can.

raymann500 added to the driver list.

Dabneyd and Dragonwhisky need to pick tracks for Tuesday night.

@ OwensRacing

My second fox body was a 93 couple. Fully loaded with air and power everything. Added ported and polished Edelbrock Alum. heads and intake, 75 mm mass air, x303 cam, exhaust , 4:10 gear in stock rear and stock T5. Replaced the clutch fan with a electric fan. Southside traction bars with the quads removed. Put the battery in a marine box in the trunk over the right tire. I would drive it 2-1/2 hours to the track. Put on 10" DOT slicks and run 11.7s on the motor with the stock pump and injectors.

Last edited:
@ OwensRacing

My second fox body was a 93 couple. Fully loaded with air and power everything. Added ported and polished Edelbrock Alum. heads and intake, 75 mm mass air, x303 cam, exhaust , 4:10 gear in stock rear and stock T5. Replaced the clutch fan with a electric fan. Southside traction bars with the quads removed. Put the battery in a marine box in the trunk over the right tire. I would drive it 2-1/2 hours to the track. Put on 10" DOT slicks and run 11.7s on the motor with the stock pump and injectors.

Very nice! I always liked the SS lift bars. Ran them on two different foxes.

I was to scared to take the last Fox to the track. I just knew I'd need a tow home with a stock rear posi and 3.73's. I always trailered my Camaro over. Wasn't gonna be stuck if I broke something. Granted it had auburn pro and 4.10's but the stock 10bolt I never trusted. It took many 1.48 60' times and never gave up. LoL Auto car with stall. Spray came on about 500 rpm past converter. This way the initial hit was motor then with all drive train moving the nitrous hit came on. Seemed like the safest way.

My next sports car will be for handling not the strip. I had removed both sway bars as well LOL. Otherwise the car was brutal to drive on the stock Michelines. Back end would quick out in third with the sway bars in - little weight transfer.

My next sports car will be for handling not the strip. I had removed both sway bars as well LOL. Otherwise the car was brutal to drive on the stock Michelines. Back end would quick out in third with the sway bars in - little weight transfer.

Largely why I went with the Evo. Capable of hooking on reg tires on the street. Not the best at anything but good at everything. Very versatile car that I can haul kids in.

I don't recall for certain but I think the caterham has some pretty tall gearing so;

3rd track choice
High Speed Ring

Yeah, I know, dabney hates fantasy tracks. But since he went with Madrid I figured I'd dip a little further.

I don't recall for certain but I think the caterham has some pretty tall gearing so;

3rd track choice
High Speed Ring

Yeah, I know, dabney hates fantasy tracks. But since he went with Madrid I figured I'd dip a little further.

At least HSR has a line and is not just a conglomeration of random corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back