Sardegna Leaderboard: Grind Times for 45 Cars, Strategies, Tunes & FAQ's (post 1.31)

• Thread starter BobDx123
  • 593 comments
Since it finally rendered HD, here's my fastest lap of the aforementioned XJR-9 run:

Thank you for posting this and your setup! I've tried it myself and now I know how to get sub 22 - get faster :D

That lap is beautiful, kudos sir. Can't come close to it at the minute. Generally a pad player but borrowing a friend's wheel setup in the hope that it improves my times, currently slower with it but it's a very different experience so not too surprised.

What assists are you using? I assume just ABS?

Best time so far with the Porsche 962c
Tune is a working progress to see if anything can be improved with the turn in response, its mostly trial and error

Overall 22:45:179
Fastest lap: 1:28.195

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpeg
    IMG_1284.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 54
Thank you for posting this and your setup! I've tried it myself and now I know how to get sub 22 - get faster :D

That lap is beautiful, kudos sir. Can't come close to it at the minute. Generally a pad player but borrowing a friend's wheel setup in the hope that it improves my times, currently slower with it but it's a very different experience so not too surprised.

What assists are you using? I assume just ABS?
Correct, just the ABS on weak.

I play on the pad as well by the way. The recent update improved pad steering a lot, turn in is much faster to me.
I do have a G29 laying in wardrobe, but missing a good way to set it up in front of my TV currently. I like the feeling of just grabbing the pad after work and putting in some laps instead of having to set up a wheel every time.

Correct, just the ABS on weak.

I play on the pad as well by the way. The recent update improved pad steering a lot, turn in is much faster to me.
I do have a G29 laying in wardrobe, but missing a good way to set it up in front of my TV currently. I like the feeling of just grabbing the pad after work and putting in some laps instead of having to set up a wheel every time.
Well, that is both highly motivating and slightly depressing. Which pretty much sums up the whole thread for me. :)

A small improvement with the Mazda. I've this time tuning a bit copied from Grimm6Jack, thx for that. The transmission is also better adjusted now.
Here are the individual lap times, in lap 6 + 7 I had massive traffic, there is still a lot of room for improvement.

01) 1:31,028
02) 1:28,762
03) 1:28,248
04) 1:28,367
05) 1:28,562
06) 1:31,013
07) 1:30,067
08) 2:00,386
09) 1:30,697
10) 1:28,306
11) 1:28,072
12) 1:28,161
13) 1:27,919
14) 1:28,403
15) 1:28,072

22:46,059

Sardegna-Mazda_787_B'91_22-46,059.jpg

Mazda 787B
22:46,059
1:27,919

Sardegna-Mazda_787_B'91_tune.jpg

Edit: in the first stint I'd to fuel manage a little bit by short shifting (shift at about 75% in Normal view)

Attachments

• Sardegna-Mazda_787_B'91_gearbox.jpg
    Sardegna-Mazda_787_B'91_gearbox.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Best time so far with the Porsche 962c
Tune is a working progress to see if anything can be improved with the turn in response, its mostly trial and error

Overall 22:45:179
Fastest lap: 1:28.195
Do you mind sharing your transmission settings and race strategy for the Porsche? I'm getting the lap times down (can do 29s on FM1) but struggling with fuel management, I have to short shift on FM3/4 to get round in a one stop and therefore not hitting those sub 1.30 times as often as I need.

Do you mind sharing your transmission settings and race strategy for the Porsche? I'm getting the lap times down (can do 29s on FM1) but struggling with fuel management, I have to short shift on FM3/4 to get round in a one stop and therefore not hitting those sub 1.30 times as often as I need.

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 47
Long time lurker and this is my first ever post on GT Planet! I just wanted to say what a fantastic thread this is. My personal thanks to @BobDx123 what a fantastic job you have done. All of the contributors are so fast, makes me feel really slow. My best time so far is way off the pace, I’ve tried different tunes but I need to work on my consistency, the turbodatsun video is a great watch and really helpful. My fastest lap is 1:28:078 so I know I can get nearer the magical under 23 minutes.
IMG_2280.jpeg

Well playing for the last couple of hour trying to tweek the tune to find anymore time i have come up with a faster personal best with the nissan R92CP i dont know why toe in on the front and rear gains lap time but the results are there and this was no perfect run either so more in it potential 22:32 or something, the car seams to be more stable in braking but uses the rear tyres more.
Race time 22:34.793
Fastest lap 1:27:210

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpeg
    IMG_1308.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1310.jpeg
    IMG_1310.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 58
Still trying to get my 6th sub 23 minute entry with Escudo. Motivation is a bit lower now that I finished my car collection. Thankfully I still have most of the swaps to go for 😅.

My fastest attempt so far was 23:10. As it is still a long way to get below 23 minutes, I started to wonder what was the strategy that you guys used to get it there? I was using 2 stop, FM3, shifting around 80% of the rev bar.

Suzuki V6 Escudo Pikes Peak Special '98
23:10.111
FL 1:26.947
Gran Turismo™ 7_20230715225050.jpg

New car to be added to our top50 fastest cars list.
I was kind of surprised no one tried it before.
Classic and beautiful Pagani Zonda R '09.
Sardegna-ZondaR-pic.jpg

Zonda has very good handling and solid fuel economy.
I ran 5 laps on RS tyres with FM6/FM5 mapping. So two stop strategy.
I'm driving with automatic transmission so fuel usage can be improved with short shifting.
Sardegna-ZondaR-race.jpg

Race time: 25:15.306
Fastest lap: 1:35.369

I used Praiano tune with slight change to final gear.
With wheel and MT it surely can go sub-25mins race.

Saved the replay this time, so if anyone wants to see how four buttons steering works...

I'm working on more cars to be added, so to be continued...

Just found this thread, looks fun. Can't wait to try some of the tunes to see if I can get closer to your times, you guys are fast! I'll post a couple cars missing from the tables even though my times are not quite competitive with the best here.

Bugatti VGT (Gr.1)
Race Time: 24:54:570
Fastest Lap:1:34:333
Race Date: 3 July 23
IMG_6708.JPG

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
Sardegna-CorvetteZR1-pic.jpg

Quite fast and easy on tyres, but very fuel thirsty.
Couldn't manage 5 laps with this one. As a matter of fact I had problems doing 4-lap stints, as I'm driving AT I had to adopt strategy to lift early before some of the corners to conserve fuel. That meant I couldn't be as fast as the car allows, but 4-lap stints were possible.

Sardegna-CorvetteZR1-race.jpg

Race time: 25:41.009
Fastest lap: 1:35.875

Ofcourse FM6 all the way, 3 pit stops, only one tyre change (Racing Softs).
Used Praiano tune with minor changes.

Hey Guys,

Few things…
(Btw, I wrote most of this well over a week ago, right before posting the newly formatted leaderboard. I got sidetracked before finishing and decided to split it up, with other portions I’ll post later. Sorry ahead of time, unfortunately removing older portions while adding some recent ones caused parts of this post to appear chaotic or out of place).

————————
@PlanetJanet @Pedda @Seve212 & @sartori

Welcome Aboard,
Glad to see more people participating 👍
Great Times Posted!

Nice to see someone brought out the Bugatti, good data and could be a fun drive

@peniu Nice time with the Escudo. I’m sure you’ll crack the 23 with that soon. There are several discussions with RealPlonker, RacingFan1, Autobahn GTO awhile back about strategy & settings. I don’t remember off hand if you were already around at that point. Unfortunately, I haven’t finished compiling all of those yet for the Escudo. Anyway, if you came after that, using search function with only their names limited to this thread should display those conversations. Autobahn GTO also posted on the John Wedley’s old sardegna board detailing his experience with escudo

here:

Post in thread 'Sardegna 800pp in under 23 minutes'
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sardegna-800pp-in-under-23-minutes.413475/post-13991995

@tmtk Nice times 👍 like you included the videos for the Zonda & Vette too

@Chikane_GTR Nice followup with the Pagani!
———————-

I’ve redone all three of the leaderboards with the following changes:

• “All Boards” now have color coding for car type, ie. Gr.1->Gr.B + Road, Race & Swap.
- For “Fastest Drivers…” this allows for quick scrolling
- For “Top 50…” to now see the fastest cars of each type, ie. post year 2000 Gr.1’s, Gr.2’s, Race etc…
- For “Fastest Time All Cars” is mainly for continuity, to help associate the colors for each car type.
  • “Fastest Drivers for Each Car” is now organized first by “group”, then alphabetically for easy viewing. It was a total nightmare before, for anyone trying to scroll through it. The problem with that list was I only added cars after someone posted a race, which in hindsight was a terrible idea and the order became ridiculous. Although every driver is still organized by fastest time, I’ve removed the position numbers to save myself time as I cannot make enough filters for them to auto correct after updating new race times. This allows allows me to simply drag the column with the new time to the correct place without having to re-label every position each time the order changes.
  • “Fastest Driver’s for Each Car” was updated a 2nd time yesterday/today. It now includes the “Split Times” for each driver from the 1st place position and the split time per average lap. I was hoping this could provide helpful feedback so drivers would know how much time shedded each lap would help.
  • In Blue Ink, there is now each drivers average lap for the race, including time spent in pits.
  • For Group C cars, there is an additional average lap time where :31.750 is subtracted from the race total for a full fuel+tires pit stop. I found that to be the time you can subtract to see what the pace/lap time would have been without stopping.

IMG_6443.jpeg

IMG_6444.jpeg

————————————

Also,

I was thinking that lap or race clips could also be used to help anyone looking for constructive feedback from other members, regardless if someone’s trying to shave 3 seconds or 1/2 a second from their lap. Seeing them actually drive could help spot issues with early or trail braking, wrong gears, slippage from excessive throttle etc…

So, feel free to post clips of your laps or race if you’re having trouble with something. There are plenty of helpful people on here with a wide spectrum of experience.

If you using a clip from Time Trials rather than a race make sure to have the event settings turned on = 15x tire and 8x fuel

Last edited:
Thanks for all the effort @BobDx123!

I've been driving the Nissan a lot since it came up in the Legends Shop. Definitely my fastest car, got my race time down to 23.10 and fastest lap to 1.28.4, but finding it hard to be consistent enough to get the time down further, especially with the stupid AI traffic.

Fastest times are on a pad and TCS 2, I can see the potential of TCS 0 but I'm not confident with it yet so it's ultimately slower. Interestingly I'm about a second per lap slower with a wheel than a pad, same settings otherwise. Not quite sure why that is, maybe I'm just not used to it? I've been using a lot recently but just can't match my pad times.

@Turbodatsun @tmtk @PlanetJanet @Seve212

Thanks All 👍 Trying to keep things fresh with new information.

Thanks for all the effort @BobDx123!

I've been driving the Nissan a lot since it came up in the Legends Shop. Definitely my fastest car, got my race time down to 23.10 and fastest lap to 1.28.4, but finding it hard to be consistent enough to get the time down further, especially with the stupid AI traffic.

Fastest times are on a pad and TCS 2, I can see the potential of TCS 0 but I'm not confident with it yet so it's ultimately slower. Interestingly I'm about a second per lap slower with a wheel than a pad, same settings otherwise. Not quite sure why that is, maybe I'm just not used to it? I've been using a lot recently but just can't match my pad times.
Definitely sounds like you’re on your way; those are already very good times (lap & race).

I have heard in other threads that many users have a difficult time adjusting to their wheel “speed wise” when coming from a controller, an adjustment period that seems to vary. If you want to push forward adapting to your wheel it may be helpful to compare laps (under identical conditions) from both to see where you’re losing a full second, which certainly sounds significant.

There’s a consensus that the wheel has (or had?) an extended steering angle range, which was tested/confirmed by a member here, as well as a video addressing it on YouTube(?). Some have found the wheel helpful to deal with the heavy understeer that the Group C cars inherited with update 1.31. However, there was a change to steering sensitivity in the most recent update which appears to have helped the issue quite a bit. @Grimm6Jack , our fastest controller driver here, had no problem overcoming it before that though. On the other hand, for me it was a nightmare, killing my times in corners. In most cases, it felt like they were either completely overshot from understeer or had to be taken so slowly time was being penalized twice, from early braking and the crippled acceleration from speed drop (due to the tall 1st gears we’re using for group c). I’m in process of revisiting these cars again now.

Regarding the TCS, as far as I’m aware, turning it off is absolutely faster. It’s something I learned to drive without early on after hearing that, reserving it almost exclusively for courses with rain. However, it is an “assist”, so as you mentioned taking advantage of having it off requires a different approach to throttle control, particularly in corner exits to not lose speed from slippage or control of the back end. If you’re having trouble, you could try stepping it down to setting “1” first and taper from there. I believe one of the recent updates lightened the effects of (TCS 1) specifically. If that still doesn’t cut it, could to try briefly using the “stability control” assist as a crutch to help smooth the transition.

Yeah the AI can be frustrating at times, definitely a luck of the draw with them. Idk how long you’ve been playing but there’s also a random AI issue were they won’t pit stop, causing them run out of gas and put around the course for 10 laps at 50mph, causing congestion, accidents and erratic behavior of the other AI. It’s incredibly obnoxious and has led me to ruin countless races that had so much potential.

In my opinion, the wind speed/direction plays a big role as well, in addition to changing the braking points, I believe there are directions that are good for certain cars and some just worse all around like strong south->north winds, southwest -> northeast and west -> east.

Last edited:
@BobDx123 A massive THANK YOU from my side, firstly for maintaining this thread and secondly for:

358265374_837343847456969_625140681908207925_n.jpg

Suzuki Escudo
22:59.915
FL 1:26.719

I probably would not have done it without you. It turned out I was using the setup from post you linked, but missed out an important detail - setting rims width to wide. This allowed me to gain a lot of consistency - car is much more stable under braking with this! It was crucial, as most of my sub 23's are based on consistency - I do not quite have a pace of the top contributors here. Pretty much every normal lap was a 1:27 with 2 or 3 1:26s. Even then the finish was very close to failure - I almost screamed through the finish line 😅.

Last edited:
Pagani Huayra '13
Sardegna-Huayra-pic.jpg

4-lap stints, 3 pitstops (all with RS tyre change). With AT it needs a bit of early lifting strategy to last 4 laps.
Not the fastest, but very nice to drive.

Sardegna-Huayra-race.jpg

Race time: 25:45.924
Fastest lap: 1:35.647

FM6 with Praiano tune

Not the cleanest of races, but well...

@Turbodatsun @tmtk @PlanetJanet @Seve212

Thanks All 👍 Trying to keep things fresh with new information.

Definitely sounds like you’re on your way; those are already very good times (lap & race).

I have heard in other threads that many users have a difficult time adjusting to their wheel “speed wise” when coming from a controller, an adjustment period that seems to vary. If you want to push forward adapting to your wheel it may be helpful to compare laps (under identical conditions) from both to see where you’re losing a full second, which certainly sounds significant.

There’s a consensus that the wheel has (or had?) an extended steering angle range, which was tested/confirmed by a member here, as well as a video addressing it on YouTube(?). Some have found the wheel helpful to deal with the heavy understeer that the Group C cars inherited with update 1.31. However, there was a change to steering sensitivity in the most recent update which appears to have helped the issue quite a bit. @Grimm6Jack , our fastest controller driver here, had no problem overcoming it before that though. On the other hand, for me it was a nightmare, killing my times in corners. In most cases, it felt like they were either completely overshot from understeer or had to be taken so slowly time was being penalized twice, from early braking and the crippled acceleration from speed drop (due to the tall 1st gears we’re using for group c). I’m in process of revisiting these cars again now.

Regarding the TCS, as far as I’m aware, turning it off is absolutely faster. It’s something I learned to drive without early on after hearing that, reserving it almost exclusively for courses with rain. However, it is an “assist”, so as you mentioned taking advantage of having it off requires a different approach to throttle control, particularly in corner exits to not lose speed from slippage or control of the back end. If you’re having trouble, you could try stepping it down to setting “1” first and taper from there. I believe one of the recent updates lightened the effects of (TCS 1) specifically. If that still doesn’t cut it, could to try briefly using the “stability control” assist as a crutch to help smooth the transition.

Yeah the AI can be frustrating at times, definitely a luck of the draw with them. Idk how long you’ve been playing but there’s also a random AI issue were they won’t pit stop, causing them run out of gas and put around the course for 10 laps at 50mph, causing congestion, accidents and erratic behavior of the other AI. It’s incredibly obnoxious and has led me to ruin countless races that had so much potential.

In my opinion, the wind speed/direction plays a big role as well, in addition to changing the braking points, I believe there are directions that are good for certain cars and some just worse all around like strong south->north winds, southwest -> northeast and west -> east.
Awesome explainer, thanks for providing these thoughts and observations. I hadn't even considered wind as a real factor in the game. I'm going to have to pay more attention to this.

42A47636-BD16-490B-8EC8-ADEEC45793AC.jpeg

Hello everyone first time posting in this thread , I was just directed here from a user on Reddit. I wanted to share my fastest finish at sardegna yet ! Thanks to turbodatsun tune . I look forward to trying out some of these builds you all share here .

Another first time poster. Love this thread, going to have to read through all posts when I can. Great videos and tunes.

My current best times after just starting to tune.

Mazda 787B, Race time: 23:39.840, Best lap: 1:29.950

Attachments

• 189b353bc8299-screenshotUrl.jpg
    189b353bc8299-screenshotUrl.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I somehow just discovered how helpful racing soft tires are for this race if you’re running road cars. I also put on extra downforce since most max tuned road cars have plenty of power and poor fuel economy if they can even reach over 800pp and I find myself screwing up a lot less with the low weight, (usually Stage 5 reduction and no ballast) high downforce setups with RS tires which has improved my times and more importantly my consistency but not sure how much of a benefit more skilled drivers would have with so much less power and more drag. I’ve been using a wheel for like 3 weeks now but not very good so it might be easier for me to conserve tire wear which is something I couldn’t manage with a controller.

Enzo Ferrari 02
I'm in love with this car, I recently upgraded everything it can take and tuned it to Praianos spec. Not the fastest at Sardegna but still fun. Total time was slower than it should have been as I spun out a few times getting used to the new tune on this track.

FM6 for 13 laps, FM1 the last two. Two stops for gas and 1 change of tires. Best lap was the last but was consistently pulling 1:36s on FM6 too.

Attachments

• IMG_7119.JPG
    IMG_7119.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 16
Back