Shootings and explosions in Paris.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 915 comments
People realize that terrorists can still get around closed borders correct?
If terrorists were buying AK47's in the local fish and chips store, legally, and shooting up London with them, when people advocated for gun control would you just throw your hands up and say, "People realize you can still buy an AK47 on the black market if you really want one right?"

If terrorists were buying AK47's in the local fish and chips store, legally, and shooting up London with them, when people advocated for gun control would you just throw your hands up and say, "People realize you can still buy an AK47 on the black market if you really want one right?"

No, for a start we'd say "realise" :D

Imagine closing every state border in the US and Candaland, that's the technical challenge that would face Western/Northern Europe when trying to do the same. Discovering those acting illegally and monitoring their movements makes absolute sense, spending billions and billions of Euro on 40 million miles of fencing to stop 0.0001% of the landmass's population from crossing borders to do harm does not.

Gun control is a completely different issue...

My point is that no matter how many rules and restrictions you put up, there will still be people who get around those rules.
The same thing applies to gun control. Or driver's licenses. Or any regulations meant to stop people from harming themselves or others. That doesn't mean that you simply throw up your hands and do nothing about it where you know there is a risk and some action or legislation may lessen the risk.

Nice job using the division fallacy pal. Where did I say that I was an anarchist?

Your point is irrelevant if you're not, unless you're just pointing out the obvious. Of course people will be able to get around those rules, people will find a way around pretty much any rules you put in place for most things, that's hardly an argument for not having them.

Very few rules we put in place completely solve a problem, they're meant to reduce it, in this case not having open borders and putting border checks in place would limit criminal activity across borders and make it harder for terrorists to move from country to country unnoticed.

It wouldn't stop them all together and no ones saying it would, but it also wouldn't stop legitimate refugees (although you could argue that it would stop refugees at lower risk to others as we would be able to pick the most vulnerable to let in rather than having our resources stretched by those with the money to pay to get here) and would only be a minor inconvenience to everyone else.

Oh, and I'm not your "pal".

Last edited:
Your point is irrelevant if you're not, unless you're just pointing out the obvious. Of course people will be able to get around those rules, people will find a way around pretty much any rules you put in place for most things, that's hardly an argument for not having them.

Very few rules we put in place completely solve a problem, they're meant to reduce it, in this case not having open borders and putting border checks in place would limit criminal activity across borders and make it harder for terrorists to move from country to country unnoticed.
Let the building of border fences proceed then :rolleyes:. And not just that chain fence stuff, 5 m high concrete walls. Enjoy your tax hikes too like we will if Trump wins and decides to build his wall.

Let's not mix American policy into this. The very blunt difference between what Trump wants to do compared to the EU at large is that our border fence has been law for nearly 10 years. In other words, he wants to enforce our laws.

The EU is simply playing catch up with border security.

Let the building of border fences proceed then :rolleyes:. And not just that chain fence stuff, 5 m high concrete walls. Enjoy your tax hikes too like we will if Trump wins and decides to build his wall.

Good job completely blowing my point out of proportion and not actually addressing it. No, we wouldn't need concrete walls, that would be stupid, chain fencing would do fine with check points at border crossings. Not massively expensive especially when the cost would be spread out over years and between neighbouring countries. That should reduce criminal's ability to smuggle weapons, drugs and people, etc across borders, like when Germany stopped the guy with 8 AKs who was going to Paris.

Good job completely blowing my point out of proportion and not actually addressing it. No, we wouldn't need concrete walls, that would be stupid, chain fencing would do fine with check points at border crossings. Not massively expensive especially when the cost would be spread out over years and between neighbouring countries. That should reduce criminal's ability to smuggle weapons, drugs and people, etc across borders, like when Germany stopped the guy with 8 AKs who was going to Paris.

Using figures from the San Diego fence (here) basic chain fencing would cost $425,000 per mile.

With 9500 miles of border to protect that's, um, $4,037,500,000. That's without the resources to patrol/monitor those borders and build working checkpoints and without the costs to maintain/repair the fences... just for a "reduction in ability".

Commercial air and sea travel via establish entrance points would still work as would fake passports. Tunnels would still work and so would private boats/planes - unless you're proposing massive extra defence spending on air and sea patrols too.

Let's say you stop 100 people using those fences. You'd have spent $40,000,000 stopping each person and I'm willing to bet that several thousand others could have moved via existing routes.

Last edited:
Using figures from the San Diego fence (here) basic chain fencing would cost $425,000 per mile.

With 9500 miles of border to protect that's, um, $4,037,500,000. That's without the resources to patrol/monitor those borders and build working checkpoints and without the costs to maintain/repair the fences... just for a "reduction in ability".

Commercial air and sea travel via establish entrance points would still work as would fake passports. Tunnels would still work and so would private boats/planes - unless you're proposing massive extra defence spending on air and sea patrols too.

Let's say you stop 100 people using those fences. You'd have spent $40,000,000 stopping each person and I'm willing to bet that several thousand others could have moved via existing routes.

I'm going to assume that 9500 miles is the length of all the land borders of EU countries? If so, that $4 billion would be spread over 27 countries (UK wouldn't have any fencing obviously) which is about $150 million per country on average. That's also pretty much a one off payment so if you spread the cost over several years it wouldn't be that big a cost.

I agree that there are lots of ways around it as you rightly pointed out, but there's only so much we can reasonably do. However to your last point, I think 100 is a very low estimate for the amount of people you would stop out of a population of 500 million. And it also shouldn't be compared to the initial one off cost, ideally you would compare the yearly costs with the yearly amount of people stopped. Now if that number turned out to still be too high then I'd agree it wouldn't be worth it,but I don't think we have any estimates on that.

How is putting up fences between EU countries going to achieve anything? At least 7 of the Paris terrorists held French passports, so they were already inside these theoretical fences. Yes, some stuff was planned in Brussels, but if there was a fence between France and Belgium, the planning would have been done in a suburb of Paris instead. There are reasonably solid border controls on entering the EU at all the places I have seen, so unless a Schengen member turns rogue, closing internal borders helps no-one. The US has always had fairly solid border protection, but 9/11 happened.
Also, how are you going to put a fence on this section of the Dutch-Belgian border?
upload_2015-11-26_13-12-26.png

Returning to regular border crossings and suspending Schengen is one thing, but building literal fences across all Schengen borders is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Chain link fences would be utterly useless to keep people out.

I'm going to assume that 9500 miles is the length of all the land borders of EU countries? If so, that $4 billion would be spread over 27 countries (UK wouldn't have any fencing obviously) which is about $150 million per country on average. That's also pretty much a one off payment so if you spread the cost over several years it wouldn't be that big a cost.

Yes, with another 45,000 miles of coastline. Why "obvious" that there'd be no fence for the UK? What are you going to do about pleasure craft? What about private aircraft? If you're only going to fence inside the mainland then you'll have to fence the coasts too. That's what seems obvious.

Last edited:
@Spurgy 777 - Except it's not a one off cost. A chain link fence needs constant maintenance to prevent holes being opened up, general wear and tear and even weeds and animal damage.

I've very briefly worked on a border security project, though it was largely a vanity project. The physical barriers are cheap, 10ft concrete is relatively affordable, but want to observe your wall? That'll be optics. Then towers to place the optics. Then comms to communicate the information seen. Then people and vehicles to respond to any issues.

It adds up, quickly. Walls don't work, unless your Israel, and then they do but for all the wrong reasons...

My point is that no matter how many rules and restrictions you put up, there will still be people who get around those rules.
It won't be a piece of cake to cross countries as it was up until now should you have border checks.
Easy to speak also from across the Atlantic :D

[sarcasm]
Portugal has only two borders.

1) West and South with the Atlantic Ocean, that's a Schengen coastline, closed and surveilled. No ismlamic terrorists (or indeed refugees) are known to come from the Atlantic, all we shot so far in that border were drug dealers.

2) East and North with Spain. Since the Spaniards robbed us of our little North African possessions we don't have many muslims, but they do.

I say, let's build a fence and control anyone coming from Spain. You never know, but radical islamists sometimes have strange names like Sainz, Alonso, or even something unpronouncable but definitely suspect like ... Al-Guer-Suhari :D
[/sarcasm]

Europe's problem lies within Europe, setting up internal borders will prevent nothing, and saying the contrary is like saying that 9/11 could've been prevented if each State from the US had its borders closed to all others.

How is putting up fences between EU countries going to achieve anything? At least 7 of the Paris terrorists held French passports, so they were already inside these theoretical fences. Yes, some stuff was planned in Brussels, but if there was a fence between France and Belgium, the planning would have been done in a suburb of Paris instead. There are reasonably solid border controls on entering the EU at all the places I have seen, so unless a Schengen member turns rogue, closing internal borders helps no-one. The US has always had fairly solid border protection, but 9/11 happened.
Also, how are you going to put a fence on this section of the Dutch-Belgian border?
View attachment 485207
By pissing off a lot of people.

While I did posted this in the coincidence thread, I thought I shared it here because it is rather an interesting coincidence IMO.

but what I find most shocking about the ISIS attacks on France is that Yugioh ARC-V pretty much predicted it (sort of):
  • The city that was attacked, Heartland (from the Xyz Dimension) has a tall tower called Heartland Tower at the heart of the city, reminiscent of the Eiffel Tower
  • The attack came from people from differences in terms of groups (ISIS and Duel Academy (from the Fusion Dimension) and went all out and attempted to kill anyone on site (though in Arc-V they were turned into cards and stuffed into a special machine) without any mercy or regrets what so ever with some enjoying it.
  • The attackers had discriminating attitudes (ISIS against pretty much everyone else and Duel Academy against Xyz Users)
  • People from different places started to unite and try to fight back against the opposition and some people adopting the eye for an eye attitude while some showed discriminating attitudes towards Muslims/Fusion Users.
Probably more details that make this not look like a prediction but I was kinda shocked by these similarities as it made ARC-Vs plot feel more real.

Back