Should PD have let the modding slide? ... OP Updated.

Should PD allow this activity in GT5?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But that isn't currently possible so I don't see your point. We can't see things that don't exist.

In fairness, that's probably more likely a problem with the PP calculation and online filtering, not the hacking exactly. It'd be easy to check the car's installed parts and other base values against their "normal" values (they're on the disc), and have a "no-hybrids" flag for rooms

Pick your heads up a bit and actually look further than what's immediately in front of you, please.

So the hacked cars coming from the corrupted game saves don’t work well with the PP system written by PD, and your solution is for PD to add an option to block hacked cars from online lobbies? Really?

How about they use those “normal” values on the discs to identify corrupted game saves so they can’t be loaded into the game.

Hybrids or not, the game should have proper filtering which it does not. Not being able to see all data for replays is also weak sauce on pd's part.

So the hacked cars coming from the corrupted game saves don’t work well with the PP system written by PD, and your solution is for PD to add an option to block hacked cars from online lobbies? Really?

How about they use those “normal” values on the discs to identify corrupted game saves so they can’t be loaded into the game.

The only thing they (PD) can do is to re-evaluate their check-sum.

Hacks are here, in my eyes, that means the end of the game! From experience, when a game is fully (GT as well) hacked, it's reached the end of it's lifecycle. I'm not sure BUT, I have a strong feeling that it's the devs (any devs) that put the software out to the public, kind of marks that the next iteration is coming soon!

Hacks are here, in my eyes, that means the end of the game! From experience, when a game is fully (GT as well) hacked, it's reached the end of it's lifecycle. I'm not sure BUT, I have a strong feeling that it's the devs (any devs) that put the software out to the public, kind of marks that the next iteration is coming soon!

There are still hundreds of online lobbies at any given time. We’re still getting updates. I would be very surprised if PD didn’t fix this. GT5 is far from dead.

You seem to be implying that the marketing department is behind these cars. Hmm, now you got me thinking.

Well we’ll see. It’s not a hard fix.

I don't think this stuff was started to advertise the game, actually it seems rather bad for a game if it's being modded to death, at least for potential new customers. But I think the fact that there are such modding possibilities inside the save data was intended by PD. Usually all this data like which engine, chassis etc each car has would be stored in the game data, secured on your HDD, and things such as a power multiplicator or grip multiplicator wouldn't exist in the save or game data at all, except as formula to calculate the gains from an applied tuning upgrade.

KiroKai
I don't think this stuff was started to advertise the game, actually it seems rather bad for a game if it's being modded to death, at least for potential new customers. But I think the fact that there are such modding possibilities inside the save data was intended by PD. Usually all this data like which engine, chassis etc each car has would be stored in the game data, secured on your HDD, and things such as a power multiplicator or grip multiplicator wouldn't exist in the save or game data at all, except as formula to calculate the gains from an applied tuning upgrade.

If they had intended it then why would they add a terms of use stating your not allowed to modify any files?

What a load of rubbish.

There are still hundreds of online lobbies at any given time. We’re still getting updates. I would be very surprised if PD didn’t fix this. GT5 is far from dead.

You seem to be implying that the marketing department is behind these cars. Hmm, now you got me thinking.

Well we’ll see. It’s not a hard fix.

I thought from the beginning that this was way too easy to do and once I knew how it was done, I wondered why someone didn't think of this earlier. It's always a possibility that PD is allowing it to continue to see what shows up as a way to guage content for GT6. What better way to do that than let people loose within the game and see what they do with restrictions off. And as it's playing out, the high HP thing was just an early fad, and most of the work being done now is "realistic" modding for cars that look good and are driveable.

The potential for "cheating" in PP limited rooms is still there obviously, and controls need to be put in place to preserve the integrity of the online portion of the game, especially if this kind of thing will be possible from the beginning in GT6 (doubt that). But after more than a month of hybriding, you've got to be impressed with some of the work being done.

Yeah, really. Your shock at a completely acceptable solution (and one that many games with online functionality actually use, though almost always automatically rather than at the player's discretion) is interesting.

The potential for "cheating" in PP limited rooms is still there obviously, and controls need to be put in place to preserve the integrity of the online portion of the game, especially if this kind of thing will be possible from the beginning in GT6 (doubt that). But after more than a month of hybriding, you've got to be impressed with some of the work being done.

I would say that there's a substantial risk that the file structure of GT6 will be very similar to that of GT5 (GT6 has been in development since the release of GT5 and as modding possibilities were discovered only recently they have had no reason to invent the wheel twice) and in that case moddings may very well be possible from the start now that people figured out how to do it.

The difference would hopefully be that Sony does something to prevent it, as both the PlayStation and the Gran Turismo brands would suffer if the game was hacked from the start.

But that isn't currently possible so I don't see your point. We can't see things that don't exist.

What isn't currently possible? It's been said already, a simple check-sum would do it outright - if your version of the car isn't the one that came with the game (or updates), then you're not allowed in designated no-hybrid zones, like seasonals or those rooms that have kept the preferably-default option of disallowing them to join. I'd hope for something a little more sophisticated than that, but it'd do.

By the way, you're totally wrong - our ability to "see things that don't exist" is the cornerstone to our "creativity" and "ingenuity", but I guess ignorance just breeds contempt.

What isn't currently possible? It's been said already, a simple check-sum would do it outright - if your version of the car isn't the one that came with the game (or updates), then you're not allowed in designated no-hybrid zones, like seasonals or those rooms that have kept the preferably-default option of disallowing them to join. I'd hope for something a little more sophisticated than that, but it'd do.

By the way, you're totally wrong - our ability to "see things that don't exist" is the cornerstone to our "creativity" and "ingenuity", but I guess ignorance just breeds contempt.

:lol:

Had no idea you wrote all the internal and visual codes in the game 👍 .

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Had no idea you wrote all the internal and visual codes in the game 👍 .

:rolleyes:

Have you seen the savefile structure?

EDIT: And GTAIV used a crude checksum (with the checksum file fairly well signposted in the game directory...) to completely obstruct any core-game modding on PC. That was easy to bypass, but move the checksum to the server side and you've got the same thing that practically all anti-cheat programs use for online FPS games (scripts are a different matter, but that's not an issue here). I don't claim to be an expert, but the fact that you're making me point this out to you is laughable - do some research if you're going to call someone out.

Have you seen the savefile structure?

Did you create it?

"creativity" and "ingenuity"

You cannoot use these words as you did not create it your self.

Ingenuity? Is that a new terms for hacking?
Creativity? Should we call it the GT5Griffith500 edition?

I thought that those two words fit really well into this hybrid business. :confused: I don't see why they can't be used in these terms.

Where did Griff claim to written all the code. None. Bad attitude mate..

And I will still always say that in its current form this is killing gt5. It was not meant to happen but so it did.

Did you create it?

Oh I see, you misread my post. Simon said "we can't see things that don't exist", which is patently untrue - how else do people make things that never existed before?
It was only an aside, a retort to my scorn really, anyway, so it's not actually relevant to the discussion.

You can continue to use me as a scapegoat, though, it's quite amusing.

Oh I see, you misread my post. Simon said "we can't see things that don't exist", which is patently untrue - how else do people make things that never existed before?
It was only an aside, a retort to my scorn really, anyway, so it's not actually relevant to the discussion.

You can continue to use me as a scapegoat, though, it's quite amusing.

:lol: Not at all. Just bugs me when some musician takes a beat from the actual creator, mods it and calls it his own creation. ingenuity, only works for the actual clever kid that came up with the codes to re-write the save and modifying the cars into something different.

All this is hacking / MODIFYING what it is. There is no creation or ingenuity by the mass....Lets not call a horse a duck if it is a horse.

To an extent yes but not to let people swagger in with their 3000 hp civics and GTRs etc. if you get people who have 500 hp NSXs and 1000 hp chaparral 2Js that's alright as you still have a chance of beating them. I have done that before with a Mercedes SLS AMG though I have no plans of telling you how since it is forbidden in GT Planet. If you want to find out then google is your friend.

:lol: Not at all. Just bugs me when some musician takes a beat from the actual creator, mods it and calls it his own creation. ingenuity, only works for the actual clever kid that came up with the codes to re-write the save and modifying the cars into something different.

All this is hacking / MODIFYING what it is. There is no creation or ingenuity by the mass....Lets not call a horse a duck if it is a horse.

Or maybe you can just continue to put thoughts into my head, either is fine, since it probably doesn't matter what I write here. You'll probably invent some thesis for me on how the hybrid story is a commentary on the state of society under overbearing control and continued depression of reasoned thought in favour of stock opinions, or something. :P

Anyway, aside from some silly notion of "true ingenuity" (it's just called elitism), and whilst I disagree that the hybrids are not an expression of individuality (because they are, just the same as a unique livery is; what if these features enabled by cracking the savefile end up in the / a game proper?), that is not what my original post was even saying.
I was only replying to a comment unrelated to the discussion, which itself was aimed at my scorn for people not opening their eyes long enough to see what's actually going on around them. ;)

Did you create it?

You're being a bit silly. I guess maybe it's not ingenuity when someone just follows the steps to do this outlined by someone else, but the mixing and matching is pretty much creativity, which is one of the reasons why people are asking for these things as unique features.

@ Griffith500. Might want to look up that word "elitism" Not any where near such actions.

@ Exorcet. Silly is thinking that asking and hacking is equal in action. Might want to learn the difference in the two before you say such silly things.

And again. Creative? FWD converted to rear wheel drive with v8. FWD changed to MR. Body of old cars to late model chassis and motor...all done in real life. Game was not made to do this. Hacking it and Asking...really no difference heh? Excuses are there for kids.

Silly is thinking that asking and hacking is equal in action.
What are you even talking about? Who thinks this and what does it mean to be equal in action?

And again. Creative? FWD converted to rear wheel drive with v8. FWD changed to MR. Body of old cars to late model chassis and motor...all done in real life.
And every possible combination of these swaps were done in real life, and everyone who has swapped has only done things they've heard about? Would they also know all there is to know about the car just by modding it?

Game was not made to do this.
That doesn't matter when talking about creativity, and it doesn't really matter much in general either. People have been asking for these things before modding was even possible, and they're still asking for it now. It's very technically possible for PD to add it to the game whether or not the game was designed with it in mind (which was not the case for many features it seems). While engine swaps or whatever aren't likely for GT5, they may show up in future games.

I can understand when people are upset over the modding, but trying to paint anything and everything even barely related to the issue as completely evil is going a bit overboard.

@ Griffith500. Might want to look up that word "elitism" Not any where near such actions.

@ Exorcet. Silly is thinking that asking and hacking is equal in action. Might want to learn the difference in the two before you say such silly things.

And again. Creative? FWD converted to rear wheel drive with v8. FWD changed to MR. Body of old cars to late model chassis and motor...all done in real life. Game was not made to do this. Hacking it and Asking...really no difference heh? Excuses are there for kids.

Ha ha, so I guess a lot of people have made 4wd Nascars with 2,000 hp in real life, or a 3,200 hp 4wd go kart. Maybe you just have no creativity.

All such modding/hacking/swapping is a breach of Sony's terms of use and is illegal.

There's no grey area as far as i'm concerned. I hope Sony bans these people from corrupting GT6.

I regularly venture into public lobbies searching for hacked cars and report them to Sony before leaving. I have no shame in telling people that i've reported them. It's in my automatic departure message as i leave the room. Then i go to the XMB and look for them under 'players met' and block them.

Zero-tolerance is the only way in my book!

Last edited:
All such modding/hacking/swapping is a breach of Sony's terms of use and is illegal.

There's no grey area as far as i'm concerned. I hope Sony bans these people from corrupting GT6.

I regularly venture into public lobbies with hacked cars and report them to Sony before leaving. I have no shame in telling people that i've reported them.

What if the person using the hybrid car online received the car as a gift?
Are you going to report them for just using the car? Or are you reporting people who actually made the hacked car?

SunsetSailor

I regularly venture into public lobbies with hacked cars and report them to Sony before leaving. I have no shame in telling people that i've reported them.

Wow. Really. So you don't see any good PD is getting from these hacks? You are looking at a small portion of a bigger picture.

Wow. Really. So you don't see any good PD is getting from these hacks? You are looking at a small portion of a bigger picture.

This. PD should use it more as a learning tool to learn what we as consumers want. Really, if the guts of it is there, why dont we have engine swaps or drivetrain swaps? This is where PD would be better off taking a back seat for a little bit and discovering before taking any action, if any.

What if the person using the hybrid car online received the car as a gift?
Are you going to report them for just using the car? Or are you reporting people who actually made the hacked car?

Just like possessing/using an illegal drug is just as unlawful as manufactoring and selling the stuff.

Thus if you have a hacked car in your possession and i catch you using it online, i wil report you to sony. No excuses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back