Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,590 comments
My sheers gave up after more than a few years of regular use. The switch went first. After I bodged that the motor went shortly after.
I hate buying Chinese products but I promised a relative a buzz cut today so had to grit my teeth (plus I’m now sporting an unwieldy beard which needs trimming). I’ll pick up a Remington in the near future - those things last forever.* I’ve never been a fan of cordless clippers which made this purchase cheaper. Seems nobody likes cables these day.

Also got a silicone brush for cooking my gramchandwiches.

*My father still uses a Remington clipper that my great grandfather bought in 80’s. WD40 maintenance with each use has made it immortal.
I've been using a Wahl clipper and it's lasted over 15 years. And I haven't even WD40-ed it. I've used that provided oil once in a while.

Other cheap clippers have rusted after a year or three.

20220423_115757.jpg

TB
It has about 8,500 miles on it.

The circled part is the patch.
I'd never tell, judging by that photo. Not new at all.

Regarding the patch, isn't the part that caused the hole still showing in that picture? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?
Also, isn't the patch done on the inside of the tyre?

Maybe we're talking about different things.

I'd never tell, judging by that photo. Not new at all.

Regarding the patch, isn't the part that caused the hole still showing in that picture? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?
Also, isn't the patch done on the inside of the tyre?

Maybe we're talking about different things.
This was the slice before it was patched.

20220423_110702.jpg

I have no idea how the tire shop fixed it. :lol:

TB
This was the slice before it was patched.

View attachment 1141600

I have no idea how the tire shop fixed it. :lol:
C5D397BC-A678-4BE6-9B36-B8FFDDB8F67B.jpeg

Remove tire from wheel. Drill hole slightly smaller then plug patch thru slice/puncture. Insert plug patch from inside of tire. Pull thru until patch touches. Smooth patch against inside of tire. Trim off excess of plug. Remount tire.

Last edited:
Another 4K from Arrow added to the collection. I’ve only had the DVD of this film, so it was about time an upgrade was done.

View attachment 1142481
Which 4K movie would you say is a must see in 4K. The only thing I have since getting the PS5 is Godzilla and so far it's still got the plastic wrap on it, just haven't took the time to watch it. Afraid I might not want to watch anything else unless it's in 4K. Thought about Top Gun for the effects but might as well wait for the new Top Gun.

Which 4K movie would you say is a must see in 4K. The only thing I have since getting the PS5 is Godzilla and so far it's still got the plastic wrap on it, just haven't took the time to watch it. Afraid I might not want to watch anything else unless it's in 4K. Thought about Top Gun for the effects but might as well wait for the new Top Gun.
For sheer picture quality it would be Murder on the Orient Express, however it’s not a great film.

One thing I’ve found with 4K films is the film grain sticks out like a sore thumb. This is due to the HDR mastering as it seems to make it more evident and visible to the point grain haters are in a rage. So older films can look grainy.

I have Top Gun and it sounds fantastic, the jets are just so raw and visceral. The image is grainy and can be soft due to types of shots, however the HDR looks sumptuous, especially all the sunsets etc.

Matrix Trilogy is fantastic on 4K and for me as a film and image is my top pic overall. Also I recently picked up Rogue One and that’s a belter too.

My 4K reviews here on GTP

Rogue One Review

Matrix Review

Pixar’s Soul Review

Dune 2021 Review

Top Gun Review

Stand By Me Review

Robocop Review

Last edited:
One thing I’ve found with 4K films is the film grain sticks out like a sore thumb. This is due to the HDR mastering as it seems to make it more evident and visible to the point grain haters are in a rage. So older films can look grainy.
When i first got my 4K telly, we watched Alien via Amazon Prime and it looked great, but i realised when we'd finished watching it that we had watched the standard HD version. I noticed that it was also available on there as 4K, so started rewatching it in UHD. Comparing the two, i have to say that the HD version look so much better. Had i not watched just beforehand, the grain may have gone more unnoticed, but almost side by side, it was immediately obvious and very distracting.

Some of that is probably down to the quality of the upscaling that my TV attempts to do with HD content (really well), and some of it is down to the transfer of that particular (low-budget, 1970's) film to 4K. I've found a lot of 4K/UHD content to be hit and miss so far, the 'grain' becomes the elephant in the room. I would hazard a guess that more modern stuff, especially that which was filmed digitally in the first place, doesn't suffer the same way.

Bought a sealed Gran Turismo 5 Collector's Edition from a friend, along with various other unopened special edition versions of games including BioShock 2 (Xbox 360), Uncharted 3, Tomb Raider (2013, PS3), Dead Space 2 (PS3), Halo 2, 3 and Reach and the first 3 Gears of War games.

I've never played GT5 before, actually, but would like to. Not sure what to do with the games yet.

20220426_145242.jpg

Last edited:
New book. Signed.

C9833037-7B72-4BA9-A2E9-55089AFB57FD.jpeg

Edit…

Well since working from home became the norm due to lockdowns and the pandemic, my work were really helpful and paid for Mobile connections for the wife and myself. They pay about £5 per month for Vodaphone business unlimited. They gave us some basic Samsung phones so we could use the hotspot and off we go, working from home.

Since moving we’ve never bothered using a wired internet connection to the house. We just use our own mobiles and hotspot, however it’s pretty shoddy signal, especially the kitchen where we work from.

Now the company have decided to scrap the mobile connections and are turning off the access in June. Enter a new purchase today.

New internet package from IDnet VDSL SOGEA connection. £30 per month unlimited. Hopefully we get 35b at some point or FTTH. But for now this will do.

Also to go along with that…

TP Link Deco X20-DSL

B1FC63CE-5314-49B1-8A99-8743178295A2.jpeg

There is another version set to release in June, but we just can’t risk not having a connection. So if the new one is better, then I’ll pick one up and this can serve as a mesh connection upstairs.

It has 4 WAN/LAN Ports which is enough for us. 1 for the PS5 and 1 for the Apple TV. Being Mesh will help if we need better coverage at the back of the house as we have two solid brick walls it’s going to have to go through.

I also picked up two CAT 8 cables which are flat. I didn’t really look around for lower speed cables to save money etc. I just need them flat to run under the rug from the router to PS5 & ATV.

7EE2A2DB-A145-4D7C-BB2C-71FAAA403301.jpeg

Last edited:
Comics both physical and digital. Digital first.
52035052659_535b06dc39_o.jpg

52034806421_444d2e453b_o.jpg

And then physical. It's the "Hot Paprika" version of Mirka Andolfo's "Sweet Paprika" comic. This is the third and final volume. It's in Italian, but it's worth it to have Andolfo's sweet and sexy art in its most potent form.
52035052594_d404da7d97_k.jpg

Last edited:
56C25F69-0F03-4DC0-B129-D7EE64AC18B3.jpeg

As much as I could have saved on cheap Chinese dice, there’s something nice about rolling over-priced acrylic maths cubes.
These are for my after school game club which I get paid extra for, so I’m not really out of pocket. Plus it’s nice to support my local game store even if it is run by a Swiss coke-head. He’s a nice guy really.

Last edited:
Found this sweet little Sony micro hi-fi at Goodwill this morning.
20220430_122414.jpg

I've kinda been looking for one of these early 2000s vertical CD players with a see-through drive, and this one fit the bill. Sounds great and the complicated loading mechanism seems to work great.

(Model is a CMT-EX5, for those curious)

TB
Because why not get the rest of the set?

View attachment 1139183

After the first few uses, these things are amazing.
Apparently "the rest of the set" wasn't actually "the rest of the set".

And with the previously believed "rest" being on sale so I should get $50 back, that effectively makes the new "rest" $10.

1651343841648.png

Pretty sure I should go get this condition checked out.

Last edited:
Back