Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,680 comments
How do you run and hike in flip flops?

G.T

Easy after first 4 strides flip flop digs into ground turns under, Then this happens flop breaks causing 3 toes to get road rash cursing follows then other flop does same thing. End up barefooted(with flip flops in hand because you know for a fact that you can fix them when you get home) Duct tape applied.:nervous:

Running.... Hiking......???

You gotta be kidding.

Tribes from all over the world (including the Tarahumara people of northern Mexico, who often run hundreds of miles in one go, for fun, in sandals) have run barefoot or in simple footwear like sandals for thousands of years, Air-cushioned Nikes have been around for 30-40 years. I know who I trust!

When I run, I land on my forefoot like a sprinter, meaning I don't need any excessive support or padding to protect my feet. Since switching from a conventional running style (supportive, cushioned footwear and landing on my heel on each stride) I have had zero injuries, which more than suits me!

As for hiking, pair of toe socks and you're sorted. A friend I hike with regularly recommended trying it, and he was completely right, it's awesome.

After many years of wanting one
c4e265994f73250e0227cd4597361830_47366.jpg

Finally will have a really great dog

You could have saved yourself some cash and done it yourself :P

I have no chainsaw, no pickup, no trailer. The cost of a chainsaw, truck, and trailer would have been far greater that the $600 I spent to have someone else do it. Still made me mad having to pay to have it done....

You could post a picture of where the trees used to be. :dopey:

Will do that tonight. I got some might fine looking stumps now. Oh yeah!

After many years of wanting one
c4e265994f73250e0227cd4597361830_47366.jpg

Finally will have a really great dog
What kind of dog is that?

He looks rather handsome! 👍

Tribes from all over the world (including the Tarahumara people of northern Mexico, who often run hundreds of miles in one go, for fun, in sandals) have run barefoot or in simple footwear like sandals for thousands of years, Air-cushioned Nikes have been around for 30-40 years. I know who I trust!

I'd like them to try to run here in NY during the winter or go through mud with simple sandals.

When I run, I land on my forefoot like a sprinter, meaning I don't need any excessive support or padding to protect my feet. Since switching from a conventional running style (supportive, cushioned footwear and landing on my heel on each stride) I have had zero injuries, which more than suits me!

As for hiking, pair of toe socks and you're sorted. A friend I hike with regularly recommended trying it, and he was completely right, it's awesome.
It's all great running using more "natural" footwear, but tarmac and concrete aren't natural surfaces. Hope you're aiming to avoid them.

I'd like them to try to run here in NY during the winter or go through mud with simple sandals.

Plenty of people run with less in snow, mud, rocky trails, etc, including a guy who runs into NYC spring, summer, autumn and winter for work barefoot. It's really not that unpleasant, and toe socks really help in cold and wet conditions (like today).

Some guys even climbed the U.K's highest mountain, (Ben Nevis in Scotland) taking the hardest route in winter. If they can get up there, using that route (which I know well, having climbed Nevis by that route 7 times) in winter then there are very few situations where they would be impractical to wear.

It's all great running using more "natural" footwear, but tarmac and concrete aren't natural surfaces. Hope you're aiming to avoid them.

You might be surprised at just how hard sun-baked trails can be. Certainly not a lot softer than tarmac or concrete where impact is concerned.

I've been running on hard surfaces carrying a heavy rucksack in shoes with thinner soles than my new sandals with no problems so far, touch wood. In the past I have been prone to plantar problems, so having no pain at all is surely a good sign.

My annual mileage isn't anywhere near what more commited runners clock so that probably helps, but running with the right technique has helped greatly too. I had way more problems running in conventional footwear, so for now i'm happy to continue using minimalist footwear.

$25 each:
2012-06-15_22-04-44_424.jpg

2012-06-15_22-06-25_612.jpg

2012-06-15_22-06-54_291.jpg

And $70, hand painted from the Japan area of Epcot:
2012-06-15_22-07-49_32.jpg

2012-06-15_22-08-27_893.jpg

Had to speed-walk 45 minutes in feet destroying flip flops to go back for it, to.

I have no chainsaw, no pickup, no trailer. The cost of a chainsaw, truck, and trailer would have been far greater that the $600 I spent to have someone else do it. Still made me mad having to pay to have it done....

Will do that tonight. I got some might fine looking stumps now. Oh yeah!

What kind of dog is that?

He looks rather handsome! 👍
It's a Bull mastiff

@Terronium-12:

My mom has the same external hard drive, I think its the 1TB, she loves it. Its easy to set up and looks nice even when sitting alone on a table.

T-12, did your OCZ die (please say it isn't so, I just got one) or are you just after more SSD goodness?

Cheers Shaun.

Just picked up these babies:

BRBR-01RedRadar.jpg

Panerai.jpg

Bell and Ross BR01 Red Radar and Panerai Luminor 1950s GMT 3 Days Reserve (or something like that lol).

- Ah, if only. Just jokes, but I will eventually buy myself a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving. Eventually.

All jokes aside, we needed a new fridge:

Newfridge.jpg

and we wanted a new coffee table in the living room (comes beginning August or September):

tenere-table-basse-fond.png

It's the same one except with marble legs instead of stone.

Also, my mom wanted a kitchen island, which is coming in a few days.

Hmm... I could've gotten my JLC if it hadn't been for the above :( . Maybe next time :P

2012-06-18_10-42-52_173.jpg

The big one for $50 for my sister. I was feeling generous because its hard not to at Magic Kingdom at 2am.

And this for myself.
auc12051702.jpg

My 4G is being weird, so I cant upload my picture, but its close enough.

Back