Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,617 comments
Got a new cylinder head for my friends 200X. Some idiot broke the valve guide on the original. Luckily parts are cheap so a head only cost $35 plus shipping. It wasn't actually my money though, he gave me it and had me order the part.

So what you're saying is... you didn't actually purchase something that is your's.

Right?

I guess :lol: I posted it because I haven't actually made any kind o purchase at all lately lol.

Picked up this Friday with some other cameras, I'll upload shots of them later.

That's an Ihagee Exakta VX IIa from the 50's I think. Made in Germany and definitely one of the wierder cameras I've seen. Came with a roll of Kodachrome inside it that was wound up, so I gotta find somewhere to develop that. But I threw in a roll of Ilford 400 B&W for yesterday to see how it shot.

Waiting for this to arrive.

51WeuGznxQL._SX385_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W19MO/?tag=gtplanet-20

I have the 250 GB version and the boot/shut down time is quite awesome. Not having ever had a SSD, I was pretty blown away with how much faster they boot up or shut down.

I've been putting off an upgrade for a long time. My primary HD is just a plain old WD Blue 300gb disk that I've been running for over 4 years now. Due for a fresh install of windows 7 because I've been having some weird issues lately so I figured what the hell.

Just installed an 240gb Intel 530 SSD in my dad's computer tonight after windows stopped booting on his old drive. Working on getting all his crap reinstalled for him. Need. Sleep.

Edit: Also, my motherboard is an X58 for the first gen i7 so I only have SATA2. Wont be getting full speed out of the drive for now, but I figured I'll be ready later when I upgrade the mobo and CPU.

I have the 250 GB version and the boot/shut down time is quite awesome. Not having ever had a SSD, I was pretty blown away with how much faster they boot up or shut down.
I have the 250 non-EVO flavor and it is indeed spectacular. I can only assume the Pro and EVOs are even better.

For anyone on the fence about an SSD, do it. You'll never go back. 👍

My laptop and work computer do not have SSDs and the difference in performance, that is the lack of, is glaring.

TB
I have the 250 non-EVO flavor and it is indeed spectacular. I can only assume the Pro and EVOs are even better.

For anyone on the fence about an SSD, do it. You'll never go back. 👍

It took me a while to come to terms with powering down the computer not being a huge interruption to my work flow - only seconds from completely off to surfing the web and playing games now. Quite appreciate the one in my Vizio ultrabook as well, as I can just close and open it whenever on campus and be into my work in moments - gets the "damn, that loads fast" from students on older HDD setups as well.

The only thing that prevented me from getting a SSD is the reported endurance problems they might have. I heard that they don't last as long as disc based hard-drives. Is that true at-least because I know many ways I could benefit from having one.

The only thing that prevented me from getting a SSD is the reported endurance problems they might have. I heard that they don't last as long as disc based hard-drives. Is that true at-least because I know many ways I could benefit from having one.
Frankly it's a bit of a non issue if you have proper backups. The life span of average SSD's is into the kind of timeframe where if it fails it'll be obsolete by the time it breaks anyway. They theoretically have a shorter lifespan but it's not really something that becomes a practical problem, you won't be constantly filling your SSD and deleting it day in day out for months on end, and general computing and windows stuff isn't too hard on an SSD.

I've been thinking about getting the 120gb version of that for a boot drive.

I bought a vanilla Samsung 840 120gb this summer as a boot drive, and I've had excellent experiences with mine. Restarts going from desktop to desktop inside of 20 seconds, and booting to the desktop from a cold start in 7-8 seconds. Granted, it makes it hard to get random tasks done, I used to fold a bit of laundry or tidy my desk up while my computer was booting but now I hardly have time to get a drink of water!

@TB Same boat here. Once I booted for the first time with an SSD I realized I will never go without one again. Except for on my Thinkpad because it's not worth paying $130 to upgrade what is essentially a MS Word machine.

613920728_170.jpg
Fat PS3 power cord as this might've been the problem with my PS3, I'll see if this was the problem when this comes.

The other cameras I got last friday.
6893f95040ad11e3982f22000a9f3c23_8.jpg

Polaroid Land Camera 150 and a Rodenstock Robra. The Robra is pretty cool, you can adjust the height and pitch of the lens with some of the knobs.

7f5b32d440ad11e3a47522000a9f1390_8.jpg

And here's the Exakta plus an Argus A, and Nikkormat FT3 with 70-210MM macro.

and the guy was nice enough to throw in all this film for me too,
9583b41440ad11e3a2e222000a9e48a3_8.jpg

The Tmax should still be usable, along with the Fujicolor 1600. I have no Idea if you can get the other Kodachrome's and Fuji devloped, they're all weird Developing types.

The other cameras I got last friday.
6893f95040ad11e3982f22000a9f3c23_8.jpg

Polaroid Land Camera 150 and a Rodenstock Robra. The Robra is pretty cool, you can adjust the height and pitch of the lens with some of the knobs.

7f5b32d440ad11e3a47522000a9f1390_8.jpg

And here's the Exakta plus an Argus A, and Nikkormat FT3 with 70-210MM macro.

and the guy was nice enough to throw in all this film for me too,
9583b41440ad11e3a2e222000a9e48a3_8.jpg

The Tmax should still be usable, along with the Fujicolor 1600. I have no Idea if you can get the other Kodachrome's and Fuji devloped, they're all weird Developing types.
You collect vintage cameras? Looks interesting.

Must be expensive, buying all these "old" cameras.

613920728_170.jpg
Fat PS3 power cord as this might've been the problem with my PS3, I'll see if this was the problem when this comes.
I'd hate to tell you but the Fat PS3's just use the same cord that you use for a desktop computer(Which you can buy locally for too much money, or online, or just reuse your desktop PC's cord to see if the cable was the problem in the first place). That cord is for the SLIM PS3's.

@gtuned: No one develops Koadachrome anymore, the last lab that did it in the world, Dwayne's, stopped in 2010. There are a few experimental processes but they're mostly all home dev processes that are black and white.

@kikie it can be. I've had to resist buying $400/$500 cameras at times (pretty soon i'll just give in :lol: ) But a lot of the cameras I collect I try to use.

@phillkillv2 They're normal size 35mm, they just look big with the smaller diecasts behind them, and I don't develop my own yet.

@F1GTR Damn. I thought Dwayne's would still do it. I really want to get the roll devloped that was inside of the Exakta.

Which reminds me, I ordered this a couple of days ago and it should arrive any time now.

Dark Side Of The Moon hybrid SACD.
slogo1.jpg

Sorry to quote myself but this turned up today.
Got the chance to listen to the multi-channel version at reference volume.
Even on my system all I can say is wow, just wow.

I'd hate to tell you but the Fat PS3's just use the same cord that you use for a desktop computer(Which you can buy locally for too much money, or online, or just reuse your desktop PC's cord to see if the cable was the problem in the first place). That cord is for the SLIM PS3's.
Yeah the one pictured is different to the one I ordered. I got mine from Amazon for £5 so it was cheap plus, I don't have a desktop PC anyway.

Bought a pair of these last week for my recording project. Decided to listen to some "real" music with them today. They're so good, it's going to be hard to go back to the crappy iphone headphones. I might just buy another pair for my phone.

I also bought a bass.
gluv.jpg

Fender Japan P-Bass. I had a look at the pricier American made basses, but I only needed a fairly decent bass for recording. I'd rather put the extra money towards my next Les Paul.

Back