Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,676 comments
boxart-preorder.png

Light bulbs.

philips-hue-2.jpg

Picked them up for a good price off a mate who didn't want them.
The changing colour ability seems to be a bit of a gimmick but the low power use and supposed long life is good.

Being Wi-Fi connected is a bonus as tying them in with various triggers can be quite handy. Combined with Tasker when I put my phone down on it's charging pad at night all the lights turn off except the one in the rear hall, which I've set to dim right down so the kids can get to the toilet without fumbling around.

The changing of the colours can actually be used as pointer to stuff you are interested in. For example, they can flash a particular colour if you have an email coming in. Or if your football team scored a goal. Or whatever you can think of, that would require it to find the information online.

Plus, it can be used for location aware wif-fi with the phone, when you come to the house, it can flick certain lights on at a pre-determined time/location.

The changing of the colours can actually be used as pointer to stuff you are interested in. For example, they can flash a particular colour if you have an email coming in. Or if your football team scored a goal. Or whatever you can think of, that would require it to find the information online.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I've checked out what can be done with the colours and as you say there is a huge amount of options out there. I did have them flashing red when an email came in but that drove me nuts after a while, needs a bit of refinement on my behalf so for example they only flash when I receive an email from someone important.

I can however see myself trying to link them to the weather forecast for rain and wind to try and pick the best time for bike riding.

Plus, it can be used for location aware wif-fi with the phone, when you come to the house, it can flick certain lights on at a pre-determined time/location.

Yep got this one sorted out. 👍
When turning my car off in my driveway the bluetooth disconnects which then turns on the Wi-Fi on my phone. Once connected to the home network chosen lights are switched on which is handy I suppose. Reverse that for leaving home.

My biggest issue atm though is trying to get my wife to leave the light switches on so the bulbs don't simply revert to a normal bulb.

10356693_10205096420756589_736394103195754094_n.jpg

s-l140.jpg
s-l140.jpg
s-l140.jpg
s-l140.jpg
halfords-ultra.jpg

So, a 2003 Mazda 6 Sport D in Canary Yellow, now called Yuki, white led side lights, silver vision front, side and rear indicator bulbs to get rid of the tnago look, and a pair of Ultra Brilliance bulbs from work for £5 a pair, to match the xenons. No doubt I'll be getting a few other things in the mean time, it needs a new gear gaiter for example.

EDIT: Just bought the gaiter, lol.

Last edited:
Recently bought 4 items - 3 plushies (2 Pokemon one that isn't) and a wallet:
• Beavis and Butthead Chain Wallet
• Pokemon plush - Hawlucha
• Pokemon plush - Zorua
• Rocket Raccoon plush
bought yesterday (Sept 28th) - all 4 shipped today (Sept 29th)

Well I suppose this can be classed as a purchase. It only cost me £450 and the reason is I got it on Motability. Motability is a scheme in UK were disabled people who get a certain benefit type can instead put the money towards a car. I myself am not disabled but my mother has MS (multiple sclerosis) so I am the driver. So now about £200 a month of benefits covers car insurance, tax, MOT, break down cover and anything that is need all I pay for is the Diesel.

Its not really for me its to help my mother get out and about and also to get her to hospital appointment ect.

20140930_1732491_zps5571dac8.jpg

20140930_1732391_zps84070d34.jpg

Ordered some interior bits and pieces.

*Snip*

Oh, dayum. You bought that?

Saw that over on M5Board as well. Very interesting wood choice, though not a huge fan of the Maple Wood zebra contrasting pattern myself.

I saw pictures of and I think I've grown to really like Birch Anthracite trim, but it's way more than I even want to think about spending on wood.

Oh, dayum. You bought that?

Saw that over on M5Board as well. Very interesting wood choice, though not a huge fan of the Maple Wood zebra contrasting pattern myself.

I saw pictures of and I think I've grown to really like Birch Anthracite trim, but it's way more than I even want to think about spending on wood.

I started out initially wanting a wood-trimmed wheel, but further research confirmed my suspicions that such a configuration was never sold over here. The trim in my car (vavona high-gloss wood) was coincidentally not sold in Europe, so I looked around and found the trim that I ended up buying: Muschelahorn. A guy who linked me to the list of E39 interior color/trim options also happened to be selling two sets of Muschelahorn trim pieces, and two wheels. Birch Anthracite is one of my favorites, but I've not seen any wheels trimmed in Birch, which is arguably what's more important to me: I like a wood-trimmed wheel. Thankfully the deal was sealed at a nice discount after just a few PMs, and the pieces will be shipped out tomorrow.

That looks expensive

It was a little pricey, but considering that Muschelahorn was a BMW Individual (the equivalent of Designo for you) option and that it wasn't originally offered over here, I consider it to be a worthwhile purchase.

CanonAE1Pclaudio8.jpg
$T2eC16hHJHUFFf)zgf(!BRbk0iF8sw~~60_35.JPG
Portra-35mm-5pack-160iso2.jpg
ilford_hp5_film.jpg
ilford-fp4-l.jpg

So I'm giving film a go as a birthday present to myself. Totals around £150 for the body lens and 7 rolls of film (five portra), pretty excited to get it all through next week. I'll probably pick up a m4/3 adapter to use the 50mm f/1.4 on my lumix too in the not too distant future.

@Solo: Portra is an amazing film. So flexible and it has some great, subtle tones.
Good to hear. It's in the VSCO preset pack I have for Lr5 and I find myself using it most of the time so thought I may as well try the real thing too.

Good to hear. It's in the VSCO preset pack I have for Lr5 and I find myself using it most of the time so thought I may as well try the real thing too.

VSCO's Portra is nothing like the real thing, which is much better. ;)

Last edited:
Oh no, these are competition version ones with super textile fabrics that supposedly fit tight and makes the legs work better in races.

Although I have to ask @Leggy1 about the Diana jammers, because I wasn't aware that they were still selling competition jammers. I assume its a textile (fabric) with some chemical added to it? I had their leg suit a looooooong time ago and I did find them to be highly useful, until the plastic suits came onto the scene. Wow, I loved those suits, pity they got banned. They just made you feel so much faster which helped a lot with the confidence aspect of the racing and allowed people to really show what they were capable of. You also could get away with building muscle without losing too much speed to the added weight of the muscle.

Made swimming a lot more impressive and with records being broken fairly often, created a lot of media interest. You still had to work bloody hard in training to get the best out of them, as they only really worked when you were going super fast. So the faster you could go, the quicker it seemed to go.

Just a sad day when they banned them. The prices were getting ridiculous though, 300 quid for a racing suit that lasted 10-20 swims?! Really, they should have created a class for the younger swimmers and banned those suits from those races while allowing them to be used with the over 18's.

Ah, a nice ramble about that moment in time....

I know I purchased them about 3 days ago - I just decided to share the photos - just got two of the 4 items today (the two Pokemon items arrive tomorrow) - I did get my wallet and Rocket Raccoon plush

Beavis and Butthead wallet - I already have my Driver's License, small amount of money, business cards, and my discount cards for Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Pet Smarts in there organized.
(those two Pokemon plush of Watchog & Patrat just there for companionship and for good luck)

Picture003_zpsda2e809c.jpg

Rocket Raccoon plush, I have it next to my 3x5 Japanese flag, and empty XY boxes (which I have for display - inside are a few code cards I won't use - have reserved for my next video)
Picture006_zpsadc5cd4a.jpg

@TB They were basically half price, which is really good.

@Submerged It is a textile fabric with some water resistant stuff added to it. After a swim with my last pair on, I would take them off afterwards and they would be dry because all the water runs straight off. I've had BlueSeventy and Arena racing trunks before, the Arenas lasted ages but the BlueSeventys only a few months. I hope these will be okay for a while.

It's a weird fabric, feels very rough to the touch but it works well. All racing suits feel the same, and they are made out of very similar materials. Which is good because everyone is on an almost level playing field when it comes to suits. The pricing is still ridiculous though, up to £350 for competition trunks. But they do help quite a lot, it feels like you're not wearing anything when you race because they fit so tightly.

I'm not quite old enough to have raced in the plastic days, but I remember legsuits. They looked pretty cool but were very expensive compared to anything else at the time I think. Now with everyone limited to knee length at the most, it is much fairer.

......@Leggy1, you're making me feel old! Plastic suits got "banned" in 2009.....

Yeah, that sounds like my Diana legsuit as well, which was fabric too. It seems that they did the same job there for your current jammers too. Maybe they had refined the ratio of textiles to chemicals. It often was the driest suit after taking them off and often was the first to dry off.

BlueSeventy got major props for longer lasting plastic suits (20+ swims), although obviously with the move to fabric, it will make it harder for them to match Diana and Speedo. Not surprised it wouldn't have lasted that long, those Blue70's. I also had a Blue70's plastic suit too. It certainly did the job too! Awesome to swim in it.

Its almost like driving a Group B Rally car and then being forced to drive current WRC spec cars. Or Group B LeMans cars and then having to go back to LeMans car after that. Its the same thing, but you can definitely tell the performance is just lacking that little bit of speed and excitement.

@Submerged Didn't realise it was as long ago as that. I know there has been a fabric suit banned recently because it was too fast.

Yeah that's probably right. Although the latest advances seem to be in the seams of the fabric. There isn't any stitching in most racing suits now, it's glued together. Which is good for streamlining, but on my BlueSeventy trunks the glue started to come apart after a couple of months. The fabric is still like new, it was just poorly glued. Hoping it doesn't happen this time, it's why I've gone to Diana.

BlueSeventy is what a lot of people have now, along with Speedo and Arena. I just love how the competition trunks feel when I swim, especially compared to regular training ones. Although friend of mine still has a 2008 plastic suit, he says it feels much faster than fabric.

Back