Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,676 comments
BenQ 1440p IPS monitor
91iC4sqLd5L._SL1500_.jpg

Tested the hell out of it to make sure there's no stuck pixels or severe backlight bleed. But it's all good. There is some backlight bleed at the bottom-left corner, but other than that it's very minimal. And no stuck pixels as well. Hopefully this one can last as long as my previous monitor.

BenQ 1440p IPS monitor

Tested the hell out of it to make sure there's no stuck pixels or severe backlight bleed. But it's all good. There is some backlight bleed at the bottom-left corner, but other than that it's very minimal. And no stuck pixels as well. Hopefully this one can last as long as my previous monitor.

If that's the GW2765 then I've got that, lovely screen.

Being sick and tired of screwing around with long pry bars and long screw drivers, I ordered this.

HW0102-2.jpg

Fan clutch removal tool for BMW and Mercedes.

17,-

Those are some fancy pancy white and silver goods!
They make all kinds of weird beeping noises, too. My LG vacuum cleaner does when you plug it in so I shouldn't be surprised that an LG washer and dryer would, as well. :lol:

TB
They make all kinds of weird beeping noises, too. My LG vacuum cleaner does when you plug it in so I shouldn't be surprised that an LG washer and dryer would, as well. :lol:

The LG washer I bought a couple years ago plays a song when it is done. The first time I used it I thought the installer left his cell phone at my house. :lol:

Working at an outdoors shop grants me excellent discounts.

upload_2016-3-12_20-12-52.png

upload_2016-3-12_20-20-55.png

upload_2016-3-12_20-21-31.png

So, that's a good chunk of money. I'm prepping up for larger trips in the wilderness and on trails. I'm going to be making even larger purchases in the future.

I think the lens is going to be the first thing that I purchase. I have a photoshoot with the owner and driver of this car, so I think it's time to get something a bit less rustic, especially considering my lenses are generally vintage primes (My eyes aren't that great, so some shots turn out blurry, or the lens isn't too good at some distances.)

Some things I did post here, but I decided not to buy them yet (I think it was the lifestraw.)

So I recently decided upon the best way to spend my tax return. I should start by saying that I already own a good 650watt PSU, and a EVGA GeForce GTX960, but they were sitting on a crappy motherboard with a crappy processor in a crappy case, so I figured I'd get them to a new home, a better home. This home:
71Gxc7lQZRL._SL1500_.jpg

Thermaltake Versa N21 in white, because it looks cool, but not crazy, and there's room for 5 fans, 1 of which is included. Also plenty of clearance on the bottom for my PSU to breath. I just bought a 4 pack of cheap fans because I really don't care for the whole "LEDs EVERYWHERE" look since I have it in my bedroom.
71qQgfnoKnL._SL1500_.jpg

Then came the next obvious step, choosing a processor. After trying to find a balance between price and performance I decided on this:
81WOZeCgWhL._SL1500_.jpg

Intel i5 6600k 3.5ghz. More than enough for my needs, and should have no problem with basic video recording compared to the garbage AMD chip that accompanied my old PC.

And obviously I couldn't trust the factory heatsink from my old PC, nor would it even fit this motherboard, so I went a little overboard for futureproofing reasons.
81qtS-DbiBL._SL1500_.jpg

Thermaltake Spin-Q, which looks neat, but works incredibly well. About as well as anything less than watercooled can, as far as I can tell.

Once I knew my processor it was time to give it a place to sit, so I searched around for a while before coming to this:
81Ej57N80CL._SL1200_.jpg

Gigabyte GA-Z170XP. So much room for expansion, and SLI support in case I ever need a second GTX960 to work with. Plus the built in audio is actually really, really good.

And because they were on sale;
91NKKhl5KnL._SL1500_.jpg

2x 8GB 2400mhz DDR4 Ram cards. I figured I probably didn't need to go nuts here as I never even touched the limit on the single 8GB card I had in my old setup. Funny enough, I totally forgot to order these. So I ordered them using Prime hoping to get them the next day. There was a shipping delay and it took just enough time to not grant me a full refund from Amazon. So these two held up my build because none of the local places stock DDR4.

So far I've stress tested it with BeamNG and it performed extremely well with multiple large vehicle collisions in the middle of dense foliage at max settings. Plus I was able to do plenty of off-roading with my favorite mod in the woods without it turning into a slideshow. So yeah, I'd say I'm pretty happy with my first real build.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
12751564_976941259068189_1067450934_n.jpg

Renault Clio RS 182 Cup - sadly the Trophy wasn't sold here but most accounts tell me this is 95% the car. Still on the wrong plates and certainly doesn't garner much street cred with the mainstream Australian car culture, but I guess that's why I went for it. Only to be driven on weekends as I have a work car with all the fit and finish that this may lack.

Not the rarest thing over here but not the most common either. Annoys the everyday V8s and 86s alike. Hoot in the bends, resolute on the straights, so many charming faults. Lovely. :D

12751564_976941259068189_1067450934_n.jpg

Renault Clio RS 182 Cup - sadly the Trophy wasn't sold here but most accounts tell me this is 95% the car. Still on the wrong plates and certainly doesn't garner much street cred with the mainstream Australian car culture, but I guess that's why I went for it. Only to be driven on weekends as I have a work car with all the fit and finish that this may lack.

Not the rarest thing over here but not the most common either. Annoys the everyday V8s and 86s alike. Hoot in the bends, resolute on the straights, so many charming faults. Lovely. :D

Looks nice! It wouldn't take much to make it more Trophy-like if you wanted - just buy a set of Speedline Turini alloys and some very trick Sachs dampers and you're pretty much there!

Looks nice! It wouldn't take much to make it more Trophy-like if you wanted - just buy a set of Speedline Turini alloys and some very trick Sachs dampers and you're pretty much there!

Indeed! And the cup suspension isn't exactly a slouch, but it always plays second fiddle to those snazzy Sachs. I have no idea where to source some actually - I had a look on K-Tec for a set but no luck (although I did spend much too long on there shortlisting a few too many things :embarrassed:). I sadly missed out on another 182 example (with considerably more mileage) which had some tasty mods including the the proper Turini for Renaults, which look a smattering better than the normal Turinis. If I decide spend a bit on mods though I'll probably commit sacrilege and go for the more 205-esque SL 434s...

IMAG0102.jpg

The aftermath from Grimes, last Tuesday. One signed poster and a t-shirt from the support act, HANA. All fairly cheap as well, so I'm really pleased with that.

Shirt's already needed a repair, though. Damn American Apparel... :grumpy:

Back