Since Porsche is excluded from Gran Turismo 5, which tuner should be added?

Which Porsche tuner should appear in GT5?

• Total voters

What if Porsche sells them their license for this game?

Like so: Gemballa: "Hey, Porsche, us guys over here at Gemballa would like to appear in GT5. We were wondering if that's ok. Of course, we had to ask you guys first."

Porsche: "Sure, since we signed an agreement with other games and cannot join GT5, we'll let you appear in GT5, but for a price."

Price is paid. Cars can join.
Can't happen unless as McLaren posted, Gemballa are a manufacturer and not just a tuner. but assuming Gemballa are just a tuner or substituting them for a company that is just a tuner then it can't happen at all this way. If the Prosches are already licensed to another game then the tuners can't included because the cars are still copyrighted to Porsche.

Even if they did work out a deal I believe that PD would have to have the actual Porsche license as well as the Gemballa one.
Correct, expect for if Gemballa are a manufacturer like Ruf or not. To license a tuned version of a car you not only need a license from th etuner to use thier name, shapes and modifications but you also need to licese the car it's based off from the manufacturer of the car in question.

It's an interesting question. Does the tuner have to ask the head manufacturer for a license to appear in a game? Does Spoon have to ask Honda? Does Tom's ask Toyota? If so, how can we search this?! I am intrigued now.
Not specifically, if PD have a license to include the S2000 and they also want to include the Spoon S2000 then it would be PD who would be asking for Honda's permission if the licensing agreement in place would require a need for further agreements in these scenarios.

They are listed because PD have to get license permissions to use their names as well.

Ok, folks need to pay attention. Tuners can not be in the game as substitutes if the original manufacturer can't under most circumstances.

For example, if you want to use a Porsche 911 Turbo, you have to acquire Porsche's license & then be allowed the use of the 911 Turbo name.
If you want a Sportec 911 Turbo SP580, you still have to not only gain Sportec's license to use their name & car, but you also have to contact Porsche so that you may use 911 Turbo.

The same applied when people wanted to use the Hamann name as a substitute for Ferrari in GT4.

As for Gemballa, yes, it's very possible they could be put in the game as they are a manufacturer. But Sportec, Roock, TechArt, or Hamann-tuned Porsche's can not be used without their approval along with Porsche's of the model name.
Are Gemballa a manufacturer too? I wasn't aware of that 👍. But anyway, this post is right on the money.

I am going to E-mail the marketing email address I got from Gemballa's website. I want to know if they can market themselves without necessarily having to go through Porsche.

Edit: E-mail sent to marketing manager, awaiting response.
If Gemballa are a registered manufacturer then your response will not be representative of the process 3rd party tuned cars make thier way into a game. But there's no need to wait for the reply, I already know that a tuned version of a car can't be included as a substiture for a car PD didn't/couldn't license.

"If Gemballa are a registered manufacturer then your response will not be representative of the process 3rd party tuned cars make thier way into a game."

Can you re-word this?
By the way, no response yet from marketing.

Last edited:
I can, if you email Gemballa about the possiblity of including them in a game without a license from Porsche then thier reponse will very depnding on if Gemballa are a registered manufacturer ie build thier own models like Ruf, in which case Gemballa manufactured models would be able to appear without any involvment from Porsche. Alternativeyl if Gemballa don't manufacturer any cars and all thier models are simply tuned Porsches then there is no legal way they could be represented in a game without a direct Porsche license. A company that just tunes cars and isn't a registered maufacurer that manufactures it's own models will never able to be represented without an agreement already being in place with the manufacturer thier cars are based on.

The whole Ruf is a manufacturer deal confuses people, to be honest I'm not suprised. If Gemballa do what Ruf do then that means that they take chassis', frames and other components from another company (in this case Porsche) before they get Porsche serial numbers and become registered Porsche models. They buy the parts from Porsceh as parts, not a pre-assembled car, and then they build a car themselves using thoes parts but also using parts of thier own and parts sourced from other 3rd party companies.

So basically if you buy the parts from a company and put them together yourself along with any parts of your own or other parts you wish to include, and you have a registered license to do so then you are a manufacturer. If you buy a car from Porsche or whoever and strip it and replace Posches parts with your own or other parts, then you are a tuner.

Ruf do both, but only the Ruf manuactured models can appear in GT since PD don't have any agreemnts with Porsche. It would seem that Gemballa do the same.

Hope that helps.

I can, if you email Gemballa about the possiblity of including them in a game without a license from Porsche then thier reponse will very depnding on if Gemballa are a registered manufacturer ie build thier own models like Ruf, in which case Gemballa manufactured models would be able to appear without any involvment from Porsche. Alternativeyl if Gemballa don't manufacturer any cars and all thier models are simply tuned Porsches then there is no legal way they could be represented in a game without a direct Porsche license. A company that just tunes cars and isn't a registered maufacurer that manufactures it's own models will never able to be represented without an agreement already being in place with the manufacturer thier cars are based on.

The whole Ruf is a manufacturer deal confuses people, to be honest I'm not suprised. If Gemballa do what Ruf do then that means that they take chassis', frames and other components from another company (in this case Porsche) before they get Porsche serial numbers and become registered Porsche models. They buy the parts from Porsceh as parts, not a pre-assembled car, and then they build a car themselves using thoes parts but also using parts of thier own and parts sourced from other 3rd party companies.

So basically if you buy the parts from a company and put them together yourself along with any parts of your own or other parts you wish to include, and you have a registered license to do so then you are a manufacturer. If you buy a car from Porsche or whoever and strip it and replace Posches parts with your own or other parts, then you are a tuner.

Ruf do both, but only the Ruf manuactured models can appear in GT since PD don't have any agreemnts with Porsche. It would seem that Gemballa do the same.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it does. I e-mailed this person whose email was given under the marketing section. I started out by talking about my passion for cars, Gemballa, and the cars they make. Then I went into their involvement with Porsche. I asked in the e-mail whether or not Gemballa's logo and cars can represent themselves in a video game without having to go through Porsche first. Basically, I asked if they were independent in the event of an appearance in a video game. I then thanked him and that's pretty much it.

Normally I really cant stand the so called 'tuning companies' efforts, which 99% of the time completely wreck the car they are working on.

RUF seem to be an exception to this, so I'd quite like to see them in the game.

^I disagree with the 99% percent, as I think a lot of the tuning companies really make it a better car most of the time. But there are times when they take a car, and make it so you want to beat it with a sledgehammer.:scared:

-> You guys missed:

- 9ff
9ff-gt9-worldrecord.jpg

- Schuppan
schuppan4.jpg

- Daur
1993%20Dauer%20962%20Le%20Mans.jpg

- RAUH Welt
rauh-welt-porsche-tas.jpg

^ Along with these other Porsche alternatives; they ALL deserve to be in GT5! The more the better!!! :sly:

^But in size and recognition, Ruf and Gemballa overshadow all these guys...not that they don't deserve to be in GT5.;)

Last edited:
I just want to know if Gemballa is considered its own manufacturer and if it can appear in video games without Porsche having a fit. I really cannot wait to get my reply from this guy.

- RAUH Welt
rauh-welt-porsche-tas.jpg

^ Along with these other Porsche alternatives; they ALL deserve to be in GT5! The more the better!!! :sly:
RAUH Welt is not a manufacturer.
I just want to know if Gemballa is considered its own manufacturer and if it can appear in video games without Porsche having a fit. I really cannot wait to get my reply from this guy.
Gemballa is. If you go to their website (please do anyways; amazing photographs of the shop & cars), & click "Cars & Packages", you'll see "Production Cars" followed by "Parts & Production Packages" underneath.

Gemballa is pretty much Ruf's biggest competitor even though their models are more of a "wild & out there" car.

I want the corvette ZR-1... oops.

I mean RUF is good enough, But Ill drive any of the bad arse cars mentioned, for sure!

Yes, it does. I e-mailed this person whose email was given under the marketing section. I started out by talking about my passion for cars, Gemballa, and the cars they make. Then I went into their involvement with Porsche. I asked in the e-mail whether or not Gemballa's logo and cars can represent themselves in a video game without having to go through Porsche first. Basically, I asked if they were independent in the event of an appearance in a video game. I then thanked him and that's pretty much it.

Like McLaren already pointed out, Gemballa is, just like RUF, registered as a car manufacturer. They don't have to ask Porsche permission to appear in a video game. In fact, Gemballa already appeared in multiple racing games before, like TOCA Race Driver 3.

Except for 9FF and TechArt, all other Porsche tuners don't (have to) remove the Porsche logo's from their cars, so that rules them out of having a chance to be included in GT5. 9FF and TechArt cars aren't allowed to wear the Porsche logo due to the heavy modifications, but I have no idea if that's enough of an argument to be allowed in racing games without Porsche's permission..

Like McLaren already pointed out, Gemballa is, just like RUF, registered as a car manufacturer. They don't have to ask Porsche permission to appear in a video game. In fact, Gemballa already appeared in multiple racing games before, like TOCA Race Driver 3.

Except for 9FF and TechArt, all other Porsche tuners don't (have to) remove the Porsche logo's from their cars, so that rules them out of having a chance to be included in GT5. 9FF and TechArt cars aren't allowed to wear the Porsche logo due to the heavy modifications, but I have no idea if that's enough of an argument to be allowed in racing games without Porsche's permission..
TechArt, to my knowledge, still retains the model name on most of their cars, so I'm positive that alone keeps them from being licensed without Porsche's approval; I'm not sure on the GTsteet R & RS, however.

McLaren, are you sure that Gemballa is like RUF?
From their press release regarding the Mirage GT.
Gemballa
For more than 25 years, the automobile manufacturer GEMBALLA Automobiltechnik GmbH & Co. KG builds exclusive sports cars which are based on the Porsche model range. Thereby, the company under the management of the founder Uwe Gemballa always sets standards regarding engine performance, innovative automobile design and exclusive interior. This is impressively confirmed by numerous lap records on the most difficult race track of the world, the Nürburgring Nordschleife. And also by winning many awards such as the renowned "red dot design award". And last but not least by thrilled customers all over the world.

The Gemballa GTR's helped the tuner become a recognized manufacturer. The introduction & build process of the Mirage GT furthered the recognition.

I would like RUF and Gemballa (don't know much about the others, sorry :( ), so I said they all deserve a shot.

TechArt, to my knowledge, still retains the model name on most of their cars, so I'm positive that alone keeps them from being licensed without Porsche's approval; I'm not sure on the GTsteet R & RS, however.

No, they dropped the model names. Just found that since 1995 TechArt has it's own WMI (World Manufacturer Identifier) number, making it an official car manufacturer. Source

-> Funny, 9ff, Schuppan, & Dauer are rarely mentioned here. :confused:

^ These marques are a definite mention as Porsche alternatives; ok, so RAUH-Welt is a tuner. :)

Is Gemballa its own manufacturer?

"Like McLaren already pointed out, Gemballa is, just like RUF, registered as a car manufacturer. They don't have to ask Porsche permission to appear in a video game. In fact, Gemballa already appeared in multiple racing games before, like TOCA Race Driver 3."- Hugo Boss

I, personally, e-mailed the marketing fellow of Gemballa to see what he'll say, but it seems that yes, they're their own manufacturer. According to Hugo Boss, TechArt is too. I still want to learn more about TechArt.

Having any of these tuners would be great. It'll definitely make Gran Turismo 5 even cooler and the tuning section much more broad.

It should be RUF!, no wait, Gemballa!, i meant, TechArt!

OMFG!!! CANT DECIDE! I wish GT5 has all of them? :sly: Although i think its not gonna happen and in the end it'll only be RUF.

"Like McLaren already pointed out, Gemballa is, just like RUF, registered as a car manufacturer. They don't have to ask Porsche permission to appear in a video game. In fact, Gemballa already appeared in multiple racing games before, like TOCA Race Driver 3."- Hugo Boss

I, personally, e-mailed the marketing fellow of Gemballa to see what he'll say, but it seems that yes, they're their own manufacturer. According to Hugo Boss, TechArt is too. I still want to learn more about TechArt.

Having any of these tuners would be great. It'll definitely make Gran Turismo 5 even cooler and the tuning section much more broad.

Well that is just awesome then! :D

What I like about Ruf is it's subtleness that makes it profound, while the Techart/Gemballa cars scream "Here I am...Rock you like a hurricane!" enthusiasm. Ruf is like the artist, while Techart/Gemballa are the rockstars.

Back