Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,670 comments
A proper Nissan Primera, other than the race car. Oh my.
three19_sAuz_29.jpg

I'm honestly surprised you even posted this.
I'm not a fan of the wheel size and the ride height, but otherwise it's pretty good.

Change the wheels and change the colour to teal green and it's acceptable
The wheels are fine. I just don't like that they're staggered.

Teal green is probably the most common "Craigslist project car " color for the S14. I hate it.

I'm not a fan of the wheel size and the ride height, but otherwise it's pretty good.

The wheels are fine. I just don't like that they're staggered.

Teal green is probably the most common "Craigslist project car " color for the S14. I hate it.
I quite like Teal Green on the S13 cars (Except the Silvia K's).

Raise it an inch and lose the RB--I'd take the original CA20/VG30 over an RB. It took significant effort to swap it in, likely shifting weight forward in the process, and they're not exactly cheap to build well. VGs can be torque monsters with little work and, while probably not so easy to source these days and a bit of a chore to coax power out of, a Skyline turbo 4 is a very kosher candidate.

I always took this thread as one with subtle modifications, nothing extreme. Then again I've also said how this thread shouldn't really exist when there are pinned threads that cover pretty much all of this. That and the Questionable Modifications thread which is always referred to in this one. Too many arguments here.

There's few cars I think look good with 'excessive' camber... that Lexus is definitely one of them.

I always took this thread as one with subtle modifications, nothing extreme. Then again I've also said how this thread shouldn't really exist when there are pinned threads that cover pretty much all of this. That and the Questionable Modifications thread which is always referred to in this one. Too many arguments here.

So much this. The imports thread is so much better suited, for starters there's no classification on what apparently is tasteful and what is not. No arguing, it's just sharing whatever you want. :cool:

Just because you don't find it taste ful doesn't mean someone else won't.

The point isn't whether I think it's tasteful or not, only that a thread already exists for 90% of the stuff that's posted in this thread - lowered/stretched/body kitted/JDM'd/stanced (whatever you want to call it) - the imports thread.

Still, I do wonder how anyone could consider something like the LS400 posted above 'tasteful'... the rims are 2-3" outside the bodywork with a massive stretch, leaving 1-2" of suspension travel at best. Plus it looks like it has c.10* of rear camber. Not to mention the wheel design doesn't suit the shape or size of car.

Looks like something a 'wannabe gangsta/drug dealer' would drive and think they looked cool in, whilst anyone who didn't aspire to be a gangsta/drug dealer would just think they were a knob.

The point isn't whether I think it's tasteful or not, only that a thread already exists for 90% of the stuff that's posted in this thread - lowered/stretched/body kitted/JDM'd/stanced (whatever you want to call it) - the imports thread.

Still, I do wonder how anyone could consider something like the LS400 posted above 'tasteful'... the rims are 2-3" outside the bodywork with a massive stretch, leaving 1-2" of suspension travel at best. Plus it looks like it has c.10* of rear camber. Not to mention the wheel design doesn't suit the shape or size of car.

Looks like something a 'wannabe gangsta/drug dealer' would drive and think they looked cool in, whilst anyone who didn't aspire to be a gangsta/drug dealer would just think they were a knob.
The camber is a bit extreme, yes. Just noticed the camber and it is far too much for a regular car. And the gold wheels do not suit this car.

It's tasteful, just not to you. If it didn't have that much camber and stretch, the wheels wouldn't fit. I think the wheel design suits the car very nicely, I also like that the car is nice and low with no body kit.

I'm not picking on the Lexus, it was the last car posted in the thread - there are much, much worse examples on the previous pages.

If it didn't have that much camber and stretch, the wheels wouldn't fit.

Then it clearly has the wrong wheels fitted in the 1st place.

I like LS400's and the car above has a really clean body. But the wheels look stupid... wrong style, wrong colour, too big, too much dish, too much tyre stretch, too much camber. The ride (one of the LS's best qualities) will be rubbish as will the handling... the car can't have more than 2-3" of suspension travel.

Wanabee drug dealers car.

I'm not picking on the Lexus, it was the last car posted in the thread - there are much, much worse examples on the previous pages.

Then it clearly has the wrong wheels fitted in the 1st place.

I like LS400's and the car above has a really clean body. But the wheels look stupid... wrong style, wrong colour, too big, too much dish, too much tyre stretch, too much camber. The ride (one of the LS's best qualities) will be rubbish as will the handling... the car can't have more than 2-3" of suspension travel.

Wanabee drug dealers car.

I don't think they are the wrong wheels, they suit the car in my eyes, nice dishes, tyre stretch and just the right ride height, why would you need anymore than 2-3" of suspension travel on a car that low anyway. I'm not really worried about the owners comfort levels, I just like how the car looks.

There's plenty of cars in this thread I find extremely repulsive like the green S2000 a page or so back. Just pointing out how this thread doesn't make sense, but I still come to see if there's anything nice in here.

I don't think they are the wrong wheels, they suit the car in my eyes, nice dishes, tyre stretch and just the right ride height, why would you need anymore than 2-3" of suspension travel on a car that low anyway. I'm not really worried about the owners comfort levels, I just like how the car looks.

There's plenty of cars in this thread I find extremely repulsive like the green S2000 a page or so back. Just pointing out how this thread doesn't make sense, but I still come to see if there's anything nice in here.
Gold wheels belong on Subaru's, not Lexus's

It's probably going to be said anyway, so I'll save someone else the trouble...

"It's made for cruising."

Now that that's out of the way, the dang thing is ugly with a capital F. I have an appropriate sensebility regarding the LS in question prior to its bastardization, I'm neither for nor against them, but way to take everything that was at one time good about it and render it utterly useless.

(Note: I've caught flack from this particular user for remarking on others' posts, so I can only imagine the 🤬 storm headed my way.)

I like it. Gold rim's are always a bit iffy for me, but black is just as bad. I never really liked Black on black, with polished lips. Side shot looks much better than the rear IMO.

It actually reminds me of a GS300 that I saw the other day, the rear camber was just so crazy and ridiculous. It had to be atleast 2-3 times what you see on the LS up there. It was brown/rootbeer metallic, the color was actually beautiful, but looked way to odd.

Besides, how much comfort is being taken away, if you're just sitting in it while its parked? Air rides are generally comfortable. Now, if its static, then that can get really uncomfortable really quick, and wouldn't be something that I'd like.

Last edited:
I think that's just plain wrong. Sure, I'm not going to post such examples, but I suspect there are some Brits here guilty of posting cars by UK-based companies and similar instances regarding other regions. If they're imported, they're imports. Hell I'd consider a Toyota, built in Kentucky and purchased by an end user 12 miles from the factory, an import, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Back