Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,670 comments
Could care less about Beetles standards. The fact that he mentions low cars, when its the one of the lowest is kind of ironic. I just don't like selective thinking like that.

The Beetle isn't that low, but more importantly, it doesn't have its wheels stuck outside the bodywork with tyres 4 sizes too narrow for its rims and a body kit that looks like it was designed by a blind man.

To use the Beetle as an example...

This is tastefully done...

885878.jpg

This is tat (and belongs with 'questionable' thread or at best, the 'imports' thread)...

large.jpg

The 2nd picture being representative of most of the rubbish now posted in this thread - lowered to the point of uselessness, comedy wheels with stretched tyres & comedy camber.

The Beetle isn't that low, but more importantly, it doesn't have wheels poking outside the bodywork with tyres 4 sizes too narrow for its rims and a body kit that looks like it was designed by a blind man.
Its low enough to be considered the lowest there. Also, In the last couple of pages the cars that are stock bodied cars with fitting wheels and considerable ride height far outnumber the weirdly kitted cars, and those with stretched tires.

2 car with stretched tires (Hakosuka and 620)
2 that are too low (two R8's)
2 weirdly kitted (NSX and Miata)

Compared to the 16 that actually fit your criteria. There are the usuals that tend to post those bodykitted and stanced cars, but they aren't as frequent as seem to think.

Last edited:
"I want to make a point, so I'll keep bringing up one or two specific examples from many pages back and claim this represents the vast majority of the thread."

This happens too much.

To use the Beetle as an example...

This is tastefully done...

885878.jpg

This is tat (and belongs with 'questionable' thread or at best, the 'imports' thread)...

large.jpg

The 2nd picture being representative of most of the rubbish now posted in this thread - lowered to the point of uselessness, comedy wheels with stretched tyres & comedy camber.
You must be getting your threads confused then, because within the last 5 pages these are the only two examples that fit that

Err, pages 113 & 114 (not including quotes or race cars - WTF are race cars doing in a tasteful modifications thread anyway?)...

GTR - stupidly stretched tyres
M6 - ridiculous body kit
Black beetle - subtle
Black SUV - subtle
Red Beetle - subtle
R8's (x2) - no comment needed :lol:
Butchered NSX - no need to say anything
Mazda - hmmm, I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but those wheels :yuck:
Beetle - subtle
Fastback - subtle
Datsun pick up - over lowered, wheels stuck out of body, stretched tyres, stickers
Opel - over low, wheels outside bodywork, stretched tyres
Volvo - subtle
Datsun pick up - nice stance - not too low, no stretch
STi - subtle - not too low, no stretch
ZX - WTF is that splitter nailed to the front end... how can that be tasteful :lol:
Evo wagon - reasonable, but black bonnet? and wind deflectors... does he tow a caravan on the weekends?

So out of 18 cars, 8 are questionable.

Err, pages 113 & 114 (not including quotes or race cars - WTF are race cars doing in a tasteful modifications thread anyway?)...

I've always agreed with this.

GTR - stupidly stretched tyres
M6 - ridiculous body kit
R8's (x2) - no comment needed :lol:
Butchered NSX - no need to say anything
Datsun pick up - over lowered, wheels stuck out of body, stretched tyres, stickers
Opel - over low, wheels outside bodywork, stretched tyres
Forgot about the Opel, but it's not horrible. It just comes down to if you blindly hate anything low for no reason, if it's not intending to be a race car.

Datsun pick up - nice stance - not too low, no stretch
There is stretch :P

ZX - WTF is that splitter nailed to the front end... how can that be tasteful :lol:
Evo wagon - reasonable, but black bonnet? and wind deflectors... does he tow a caravan on the weekends?
The Z32 is borederline I would say, but its passable. Definitely not questionable. Evo could probably do with some weight savings given by that hood, its a giant car :lol: Deflectors? I'm not sure I see any.

EDIT: I see what you where talking about now. For my case I always used those because I would smoke cigarettes, and it would make ashing them easier instead of them flying all over the damn place. Still, I've always liked the look they've added.

So out of 18 cars, 8 are questionable.
Dont mind what Gotbeefboy posts, you'll soon find out why if you stick around here :lol:
The last two you posted aren't questionable, they just aren't to your taste. Looks like you where just lumping them in there to get your point across. Which wasn't even your point to begin with, which was more around stupidly low stanced cars, in which there are barely a handful.

Forgot about the Opel, but it's not horrible. It just comes down to if you blindly hate anything low for no reason, if it's not intending to be a race car.

I like lowered cars... as long as they aren't lowered so much it completely compromises their driveablity... the STi is a perfect example of a lowered car that's been done well. Once they are lowered so much they need stretched tyres and silly camber to stop the tyres fouling the arches they are questionable.

The Z32 is borederline I would say, but its passable. Definitely not questionable.

Seriously... the Z has a splitter on it that looks like it's been stolen from a GT3 race car... it looks stupid :lol:

If anything, the car needs to be a bit lower to pull it off, but even then the splitter would look ridiculous

Evo could probably do with some weight savings given by that hood, its a giant car :lol: Deflectors? I'm not sure I see any.

EDIT: I see what you where talking about now. For my case I always used those because I would smoke cigarettes, and it would make ashing them easier instead of them flying all over the damn place. Still, I've always liked the look they've added.

Even if the bonnet is really carbon, how much weight would it save? a couple of kg maybe on a 1,400kg car? The wind deflectors are what you see on old people's cars when they are towing caravans.

The last two you posted aren't questionable, they just aren't to your taste. Looks like you where just lumping them in there to get your point across. Which wasn't even your point to begin with, which was more around stupidly low stanced cars, in which there are barely a handful.

No, I believe what I said... they are both questionable.

The point of this thread (as per OP), was to be the antithesis of the questionable modifications thread. And it's not. There's already a thread for stanced/very low/stretched tyres/bodykitted cars, it's called the imports thread (if you don't believe cars like that are questionable in the 1st place). This thread has just become a replication of that thread for the most part.

I like lowered cars... as long as they aren't lowered so much it completely compromises their driveablity... the STi is a perfect example of a lowered car that's been done well. Once they are lowered so much they need stretched tyres and silly camber to stop the tyres fouling the arches they are questionable.
Most often then not they are on air. Drivability is absolutely no problem in that case. If its static, I completely agree with you.

Seriously... the Z has a splitter on it that looks like it's been stolen from a GT3 race car... it looks stupid :lol:

If anything, the car needs to be a bit lower to pull it off, but even then the splitter would look ridiculous
It looks fine, and all comes down to taste. Not really questionable. Just not something to your liking, so it fits.

Even if the bonnet is really carbon, how much weight would it save? a couple of kg maybe on a 1,400kg car? The wind deflectors are what you see on old people's cars when they are towing caravans.
Savings is savings. Never knew that carbon fiber hoods where a problem though. TIL.

Cant say I've noticed wind deflectors on anything other than modified cars. Regardless, it doesn't even matter what people use them. People use them as aesthetics on cars, they use them for smoking, or they just like the way it looks.

No, I believe what I said... they are both questionable.
Cool, I don't. They aren't. They fit here. Who doesn't like an Evo wagon that's subtly modded and most likely see's track time? I know I certainly like it, as well as many others. So it being here is a job well done. Cool, you don't like it? No problem, as some people aren't going to like everything in the thread.

The point of this thread (as per OP), was to be the antithesis of the questionable modifications thread. And it's not. There's already a thread for stanced/very low/stretched tyres/bodykitted cars, it's called the imports thread (if you don't believe cars like that are questionable in the 1st place). This thread has just become a replication of that thread for the most part.
The point of this thread is:
Post pictures of cars you think are tastefully modified.
Which many people are doing. Whether you think it mimics another thread is not of concern to me, and apparently not the mods. It has been discussed many times already, either way. Still, you started your point with a hellaflash/stance hate and posted a picture that thoroughly showed exactly what you where talking about, which was shown to be wrong with hardly any examples in the last few pages in comparison to ones that are actually universally judged as fine. Then you changed it to what you thought was questionable, which is no problem really, as I do that often too. It just seems like your stretching the goal posts as you move along.

Last edited:
Ehhh... I'm not sure whether this is a little too questionable, but I think it's pretty decent at the very least (I'd definitely get rid of that bonnet though).

1907946_orig.jpg

6459224_orig.jpg
I'm really digging this! Not so much the blacked out tails, but I wouldn't even care really :lol:

Back