Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,666 comments
I love cars with big bolt on flares and negative offset wheels, but they aren't to everyones taste.
smiley-angelic006.gif

:lol:

Its missing a bonnet, But other than that its pretty sweet
I don't mind it, and it's certainly tasteful, but I've become truly bored of the VW modifying scene.

Normally it'd be one of those cases where I'd say, "it's time for someone to try something different", but the scene is so big and sprawling that people have tried literally everything, so now everything is played-out. OEM+, rat, Euro-look, race-look, retro, modern, Cal-look, shaved engine bays, tartan, WWII bomber style, window nets, window chicken wire, bucket seats, retrims, chopped roofs, pickup conversions, OEM wheels, Porsche wheels, Bentley wheels, Mercedes wheels, JDM wheels, lowered, slammed, raised, raked, engine swaps... I mean, it's impressive what people have been able to do in terms of variety, but there's very little that makes me think "wow" any more.

Apart from maybe bone-stock. I actually think that right now, a mint condition Mk2 Golf Driver or a standard, kermit-green Lupo Sport without so much as a different air filter would interest me more than a build with thousands in it.

I don't mind it, and it's certainly tasteful, but I've become truly bored of the VW modifying scene.

Normally it'd be one of those cases where I'd say, "it's time for someone to try something different", but the scene is so big and sprawling that people have tried literally everything, so now everything is played-out. OEM+, rat, Euro-look, race-look, retro, modern, Cal-look, shaved engine bays, tartan, WWII bomber style, window nets, window chicken wire, bucket seats, retrims, chopped roofs, pickup conversions, OEM wheels, Porsche wheels, Bentley wheels, Mercedes wheels, JDM wheels, lowered, slammed, raised, raked, engine swaps... I mean, it's impressive what people have been able to do in terms of variety, but there's very little that makes me think "wow" any more.

Apart from maybe bone-stock. I actually think that right now, a mint condition Mk2 Golf Driver or a standard, kermit-green Lupo Sport without so much as a different air filter would interest me more than a build with thousands in it.

Dude, that is why you do what you do and get paid (hopefully well) for it. That is exactly how I feel about the whole VW scene -which is arguably the biggest here in Mexico, I'll have you know- but I had never been able to put it in words. Mind you, here in Mexico we've yet to see some of those fads but we're slowly getting there, and it is indeed impressive what some people manage to do, I'd wish the same kind of enthusiasm and money was poured into other scenes in here, but alas, nothing seems to really attract me to the whole VW thing.

The only thing thaqt really makes me go wow is seeing really rare air-cooled VWs of the never-sold-here variety, but that is precisely because of that.

Yes, the VW scene is completely overdone!

But I still like the mk1 above with a couple of provisos... it would look much better without the cage and a set of BBS rims would look much better than the 944's. The colour is lovely though, and mk1's are such a pure shape to start with.

nothing seems to really attract me to the whole VW thing.
There are certainly a few styles I think look quite good regardless of how often they've been done - and it'd be hypocritical of me to criticise the scene too much, since most of what I plan to do to my Mazda has been done before... but the VW scene gets so much coverage, that nothing has really impressed me recently. It's just like, "oh, that's neat" and then I forget about it entirely.
The only thing thaqt really makes me go wow is seeing really rare air-cooled VWs of the never-sold-here variety, but that is precisely because of that.
Yeah, rarer cars definitely attract me more - I go a bit wobbly whenever I remember the SP-2 exists.

Normally it'd be one of those cases where I'd say, "it's time for someone to try something different", but the scene is so big and sprawling that people have tried literally everything, so now everything is played-out.

I've been feeling this way for a number of years now. It's as mainstream as the beard/quiff combo on 20 or 30 somethings.

There's a Bora moved in just up the road from me. Black. Black BBS CH-R's. De-badged. Lowered, but only a touch. Stretched tyres, but only ever-so-slightly. Clean, really subtly done. Spoiled only, in my eyes, by a set of brightly coloured VW-scene stickers in the back window. You know the ones. Five years ago i'd have admired it for the way it's been tastefully detailed, but i'm so, so sick of the scene that i immediately hate it and it's driver (who i've never even seen).

There's a Bora moved in just up the road from me. Black. Black BBS CH-R's. De-badged. Lowered, but only a touch. Stretched tyres, but only ever-so-slightly. Clean, really subtly done. Spoiled only, in my eyes, by a set of brightly coloured VW-scene stickers in the back window. You know the ones. Five years ago i'd have admired it for the way it's been tastefully detailed, but i'm so, so sick of the scene that i immediately hate it and it's driver (who i've never even seen).
Yup. That's the way I feel too. And I'd almost put money on one of those stickers being the 'shocker' sticker. Which would be an immediate car-crusing offence if I was in charge.

There are certainly a few styles I think look quite good regardless of how often they've been done - and it'd be hypocritical of me to criticise the scene too much, since most of what I plan to do to my Mazda has been done before... but the VW scene gets so much coverage, that nothing has really impressed me recently. It's just like, "oh, that's neat" and then I forget about it entirely.

Well, that's a given in any scene, really. It would be like saying Cragars or TE37s are overdone. Well duh, of course they are, because they work and look beautiful. Or LS transplants, recently. Yeah, sick of them but boy, you can't argue that they work. It takes a looooot to take risks modifying a car without ruining it, and I'm not talking about just money. Skill, vision, all of that stuff. No one can blame anyone to play it safe. In fact, this entire thread is an ode to playing it safe. Playing it safe = tasteful most of the times.

It takes a looooot to take risks modifying a car without ruining it
Agreed. If you do something well, you can pull off pretty much anything. Some cars in the big wings/bodykits Fast and Furious era of the early 2000s actually looked genuinely good, because people had spent time and effort to make them look good. They might not pass for "tasteful" in this thread, but up close you'd be able to appreciate the craftsmanship involved.

At the same time, tasteful doesn't necessarily have to equal unimaginative. Sticking BBS RSs on a Golf, lowering it a bit, polishing it and tidying up the engine bay is tasteful, but it's also pretty dull. Maybe that's because it's a Golf and Golfs are pretty dull anyway, but I'm sure that out there somewhere is a way to modify one in an interesting manner. Or, as I hinted earlier, simply to leave it stock but make it as nice as it's possible to make it. That wouldn't really suit this thread either, since we're looking at modified cars, but it'd be a satisfying pursuit.

Agreed. If you do something well, you can pull off pretty much anything. Some cars in the big wings/bodykits Fast and Furious era of the early 2000s actually looked genuinely good, because people had spent time and effort to make them look good. They might not pass for "tasteful" in this thread, but up close you'd be able to appreciate the craftsmanship involved.

At the same time, tasteful doesn't necessarily have to equal unimaginative. Sticking BBS RSs on a Golf, lowering it a bit, polishing it and tidying up the engine bay is tasteful, but it's also pretty dull. Maybe that's because it's a Golf and Golfs are pretty dull anyway, but I'm sure that out there somewhere is a way to modify one in an interesting manner. Or, as I hinted earlier, simply to leave it stock but make it as nice as it's possible to make it. That wouldn't really suit this thread either, since we're looking at modified cars, but it'd be a satisfying pursuit.

Well, in regards of craftsmanship, it doesn't really matter the style or fad or tastefulnjess of the car. It can be a riced-out whatever but it can be perfectly done, with perfect work everywhere. You have to appreciate, even if you don't like it and kinda laugh at it a bit.

As for being imaginative, well, you have to step out of the comfort zone in order to push the envelope. Cars that are innovative are the ones that open the doors to, well, more cars... be it good cars or bad cars, but for every innovative build out there that strikes a chord with the crew, there will always be followers, parts made, all that stuff. That's how a scene progresses into a culture status, and gains its "heroes".

On the other end of the spectrum, a totally stock car is always going to be respected, it's an undeniable part of the big picture, but it's not gonna push the envelope at all.

11754526_10153628519110809_4389625759494593960_o.jpg

Its missing a bonnet, But other than that its pretty sweet

Certainly tasteful, but in addition to what has already been said, that engine looks like could have been mounted about a foot further back in the engine bay. I can practically see it understeering while it's standing still.

I quite like most brands and types of car, but for me, a special car is one that makes me want an example of that particular car. I can't think of the last time a VW did that for me. Which is daft, since the company has produced some great cars.

On the flip side, that E30 on the last page immediately made me want one again.

Certainly tasteful, but in addition to what has already been said, that engine looks like could have been mounted about a foot further back in the engine bay. I can practically see it understeering while it's standing still.
There would be no room for the exhaust manifold. The intake plenum just plays tricks on your eyes and makes it look further up front than it really is.

Wekfest-SJ-15-14-copy-800x533.jpg

I agree that the VW scene is a bit worn out now, but I still love it. Although, to be honest, I think the stance/slammed scene as a whole is overplayed. Of course, I still like most of the cars the scene has to offer (I mean, as of this post I'm sporting a Wheel Whores avatar), but stance/slammed meets and shows just seem so boring with the amount of cars that all look so alike, whether it's a Golf or a Civic. I think that's why I've taken to the Rocket Bunny/Liberty Walk style so well, because it's such a change from all the bagged cars and sump crackers out there with outrageous, impractical camber set ups.

I'd imagine, since it's swapped and all. Only went as far to hear what engine it had in it, and that was predictable but not a bad thing.

Back