Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,670 comments
I'm pretty sure he got yelled at by a couple fans of bagged and stanced cars. No need to bring this up. He's already understood their points.

Trying to find some decent S12's...

tab4.jpg

blogentry-1-0-84522300-1337403334.jpeg

garage_gallery_1541834055.jpg

nissan-200sx-turbo--07.jpg

Harder than I thought.

Last edited:
Posted this before a while back but found some other pics. Custom wide body N54 engined (3 litre TT) 1M hatcback. Wheels are a bit too big for my liking but otherwise it's one of my dream cars.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I wish. :(

If I had about £25K to spend, I'd love that car. But you need a 135i engine, 1M and M3 body parts and drivetrain. The seats in it are worth something silly like £1500 as well.

I'd love just the wide arches and wide track to be fair, it looks so purposeful and aggressive.

I wish. :(

If I had about £25K to spend, I'd love that car. But you need a 135i engine, 1M and M3 body parts and drivetrain. The seats in it are worth something silly like £1500 as well.

I'd love just the wide arches and wide track to be fair, it looks so purposeful and aggressive.

That's one of the reasons I don't fancy GB. It's ridiculously expensive....

I saw that red M3 at MPact this year, it's pretty nuts in person and the wing doesn't seem too out of place in person. Also, I think he was taking it out on the track that day as well.

There are a few rules to follow in my view of what's tasteful:

1. Avoid making the car look cheaper, or as a lesser model with upgrades.
2. Avoid destroying the flow of the car's original design.
3. Avoid Destroying the car's purpose.
4. Avoid Destroying the car's performance in exchange for looks.
5. Striving to make the car different, unique, but still making it hard to notice the changes. In other words; making the car look as that's the way it came out the factory.
6. And most important. Wheels, paint, and parts are to be chosen according to the car's model, year and country of origin.

All these "stanced" cars, huge chrome wheels, and wide body things; sorry, but they are just tacky as hell. But to each its own, though...

These are good examples of what's right according to my point of view:

DSC03063%20copy.jpg

4Q_640.jpg

DSC_2349-EDIT-RS.jpg

de103cce212a9d0ab27bb01945b62ca4.jpg

lexus-toyota-meet_0009.jpg

BBS_wheels_outside_Feb9_06_5.JPG

9345076098_9dbfa63679_z.jpg

Just to name a few. It's really hard to find decently customized cars these days.

Last edited:
So basically, you prefer subtle modifications.

So, like "clean" modding? I personally love the aggression of stanced cars, hate big chromed wheeled anything, and widebody makes cars look like "because racecar." Nothing wrong with some clean flow, though.

View attachment 218152

View attachment 218175

Basically clean look; yes. That RX-7 is within the limit of what I like and if that NSX was a few inches higher it would be absolutely perfect 👍 Damn, those wheels look gorgeous in 90's JDM cars!

Basically clean look; yes. That RX-7 is within the limit of what I like and if that NSX was a few inches higher it would be absolutely perfect 👍 Damn, those wheels look gorgeous in 90's JDM cars!

Although I agree with your general statement, I think you should also differentiate between good stance and bad stance. I think that the E34 wagon I've posted is a very good example for good stance. It's subtle, it doesn't ruin the cars apparence and I think that it fits it quite well. The brown/bronze Z I've posted is very close to being too much, but I think that because he didn't went completely over the top and really tried to keep a certain balance it makes it tasteful to me. I'm just guessing that you're (in part) complaining about my posts.

Although I agree with your general statement, I think you should also differentiate between good stance and bad stance. I think that the E34 wagon I've posted is a very good example for good stance. It's subtle, it doesn't ruin the cars apparence and I think that it fits it quite well. The brown/bronze Z I've posted is very close to being too much, but I think that because he didn't went completely over the top and really tried to keep a certain balance it makes it tasteful to me. I'm just guessing that you're (in part) complaining about my posts.

No, I'm not complaining on your posts. Just on "stanced" or "slammed" cars in general. Hey, like I said; to each it's own 👍 Me, personally, I don't mind the car looking aggressive, but as long as it keeps functionality and suspension travel. The Bimmer wagon, honestly that's too much. The Fairlady Z32 and Supra in my post is an example of as low as I would go.

Oh, wait... You mean that E34 wagon? That one is okay. I would get rid of the camber though. Silly me. I was looking at the E91 wagon below.

No, I'm not complaining on your posts. Just on "stanced" or "slammed" cars in general. Hey, like I said; to each it's own 👍 Me, personally, I don't mind the car looking aggressive, but as long as it keeps functionality and suspension travel. The Bimmer wagon, honestly that's too much. The Fairlady Z32 and Supra in my post is an example of as low as I would go.

Oh, wait... You mean that E34 wagon? That one is okay. I would get rid of the camber though. Silly me. I was looking at the E91 wagon below.
I was just going to comment on that Supra, I'm guessing that one is pretty much borderline for you, because I was thinking it was pretty low haha.

I like stanced cars, I like wide fenders, I like modified cars with functionality in mind, and I like subtly modified cars. I'd definitely drive a stance car, I'd also drive around in a track car too. Hell, if I get money I think I'd have a stanced car, as well as one purposefully built.

Although there are cars that I feel odd about being stanced.. Sti's, Evo's, RX-7's, NSX's.. I'm sure you get the picture. Stance, in my opinion looks more natural on wagons, 4-doors, and most lower end cars. However, I do like Stanced Z's, like the one @20832 posted.

Back