Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,670 comments
I like love low cars. What I don't like, however, are cars with plenty of racing purpose parts, such as rollcages and hotted up engines and the like, then slammed on the ground with a stance that looks like if anyone over 50kg sat in it, the wheels would rub. :odd:

It's just redundant, honestly.

SVX
I like love low cars. What I don't like, however, are cars with plenty of racing purpose parts, such as rollcages and hotted up engines and the like, then slammed on the ground with a stance that looks like if anyone over 50kg sat in it, the wheels would rub. :odd:

It's just redundant, honestly.
It also usually defeats the purpose of that cars performance with the parts.

Especially when it's a car like a Subaru with AWD.

While low cars aren't really my cup of tea, I find them to be tolerable. Most of the time.

Its just one of the lesser liked Corolla's really. I like them when they are modified, but stock they are nothing special.
I was figuring something along those lines. The only FF Corolla available here I could ever get into (figuratively) is the AE92 coupe (I nearly bought a GT-S in lieu of the 200SX). I will say, however, that I don't find the Japanese Levin unattractive when referring to the AE101. And I've gotten heaps of use out of the 111s available in GT6.

I was figuring something along those lines. The only FF Corolla available here I could ever get into (figuratively) is the AE92 coupe (I nearly bought a GT-S in lieu of the 200SX). I will say, however, that I don't find the Japanese Levin unattractive when referring to the AE101. And I've gotten heaps of use out of the 111s available in GT6.
I love the AE92, it's one of the cars I've been considering buying if I happen to get an older car. I've always liked the look of the Levins, except on the AE92 chassis, it just looks odd to me.

These were ran really low in touring car spec. I think its cool.
TCorolla-26.jpg

TCorolla-1.jpg

These were ran really low in touring car spec. I think its cool.
TCorolla-26.jpg

TCorolla-1.jpg
Absolutely. There's good reason to reduce ride height for those purposes, but note the sufficient clearance in the front wheel opening--I'd rather take a sawzall to the fenders than have to worry about interference between them and the tires. Also, with dedicated track cars, you don't run the risk of losing a bumper pulling out of a parking lot because you just picked up a big bag of kibble.

Absolutely. There's good reason to reduce ride height for those purposes, but note the sufficient clearance in the front wheel opening--I'd rather take a sawzall to the fenders than have to worry about interference between them and the tires. Also, with dedicated track cars, you don't run the risk of losing a bumper pulling out of a parking lot because you just picked up a big bag of kibble.
While I agree, it's odd how you judge certain things.

On one hand, you'll bag on it for losing performance, but on the other hand, it's ok for the race car to be that low because its a dedicated race car? While I know that Corolla isnt the best example to go off of, but what if it actually is tracked? What if they don't have the time/parts to change in between their track/street parts for the different driving they will be doing?

Being a dedicated race car shouldn't make one version acceptable, and the other version unacceptable. The Brown one isnt even lower then the other, It just might be the rim size.

Still, nothing against your opinion, just posting mine :P

Last edited:
Low for the track just isn't the same as low for the street, and something praised for its functionality isn't inherently tasteful. I can appreciate the modifications done when they are done on a car that will never be used to run errands but I'll readily admit that I'd likely see the same car (sans stickers) as a beater if I passed it going the other way. I know it seems hypocritical (I'm inclined to agree) but the two purposes require vastly different things of a vehicle. If they can drive it legally (if only by outward appearance and not necessarily by the letter of the law) and safely (for them and others), more power to them, and I don't have issue with being unable to afford one of each, but the dang thing isn't tasteful in my eyes.

Opinions are like butts. I'm quick to pick on others' opinions (not their butts), but I don't hold it against them, and I respect the right to express it just as I expect the right to express it.

(Note: I'm far from flawless even in my own eyes. I posted a 986 Boxster given the GT3 RS treatment a while back. I liked it and thought it a respectable homage, and appreciated the effort and ingenuity required to accomplish the panels swap. Upon reflection, and armed with the knowledge that the conversion parts can be purchased through the aftermarket, I'm no longer impressed.)

Last edited:
I understand your feelings about the wheels, but they are one of the best parts for me, i have a soft spot for european cars with some JDM feel. For me, this is what real JDM is all about, a car made for track use with domestic bits and pieces that makes it work, and the final result is something unique. For example, this car uses Nissan VQ35DE pistons and throttle bodies from a Toyota AE101 4A-GE.

I have no problem with the carbon hood, the fibers look so nice, but i wouldn't bother if it was painted. But i guess it would be more money, for a car that is made to have fun on track. The coverage for this car is here. :)

I like Japanese wheels and other parts on European cars, but it's more about how modern the CEs are than anything, I guess. I think a set of period-correct Japanese wheels would be really cool on it though.

I like Japanese wheels and other parts on European cars, but it's more about how modern the CEs are than anything, I guess. I think a set of period-correct Japanese wheels would be really cool on it though.
I honestly think using Japanese rims from the same time period would look worse to be honest. That car can fit all kinds of modern rims, I think.

Just chiming in here.

BRC_17.jpg

I find this highly tasteful (except the sticker with the website on the side, but whatever), but if I owned a '69 Z/28 Camaro, I would have it done way differently. There's just so many different types of modifications, that you can find many of them tasteful, but your favorite would be the one you'd put on your car.
They've really updated the car from the last time I saw it. This car is a classic and one of those celebrity like cars in the modded car world. This gets a pass all day long. a 200 mph Camaro that doesn't look it.

If it were a little more function driven it would have a more dramatic appearance. I see the guy as keeping it clean. Nothing really screams "racecar!" or "ricer!" on it. Rollcage is up for debate but whatever.

I'd give the guy a thumbs-up.

Back