TH8 RS Shifter Thread!

• Thread starter sandboxgod
  • 1,971 comments
Okay I finally got the rod off! :D It took a small screwdriver, brute force and a few bruises to get it off, but it's off. @AF.

---
Also, I came up with a brilliant idea, which might not be the first of it's kind, but still; a silencer "mod". I got a bit annoyed over the click when you get into a gear. It's not that loud, but it's still loud enough to be heard at night, at least here.

I've made the below video to show a comparison with and without the "mod". :)

Dean, just a heads up to you and everyone else with a TH8. If you think the TH8'is loud than never buy a CSS as that is easily 5x louder than the TH8 will ever be when it literally clicks into gear. It is the micro switch in it that really clicks from the sound and feel of it. It is really noticible at least.

Just wanted to give the heads up as a CSS isn't that cheap. Would be a pain for the buyer if they got disappointed because of it after all.

My CSS is not that loud and it was my biggest fear after listening to some youtube videos. It´s quiter then the old Fanatec H-shifter. You can also effect how loud it is by playing with the resistance. Sure to get it totally silent you do sacrifice feel.

TH8 RS was just marginally more silent when fresh. And when it was worn down after a couple of month of very casual use it´s more noisy then the CSS currently is :)

Is it normal for the shifter to make creak sounds, after 5 days? (Sorry for not filming in the correct position)

Not normal. Sounds like a lack of grease somewhere. Technically a very simple thing to fix on the TH8, but I wouldn't want to open up a product that's still under warranty. So please take it back to the shop or contact Thrustmaster. If you contact Thrustmaster it might be that they offer you the possibility to fix it yourself and they send you the instructions (not sure).

In any case its a simple warranty thing. Issue for the claim being the lack of grease.

See post #1350: his idea of preventing a mis-shift to 7th gear is brilliant. I have put a small tube over the metal 'spike' next to the 7th gear. It prevents me from accidentally shifting to 7th gear when I want to shift to 5th gear. I still can access 7th or reverse gear if I want by pushing the rod against the tube - the tube bends a bit and the rod continues to gear 7 or reverse. Simple solution, works very well.

IMG_00000040_zps0669942f.jpg

wow, no stores in the US have this baby in stock..

I am taking a guess here; I think Thrustmaster is phasing out the T500/TH8 for the TX/THA line that was released recently for the xbox 1. well the THA is still not released, but part of the product line. Just my .02/suspicion.

Yes but thankfully they are compatible. But lets hope they didn't take a nod from their cheap pedals and produce a POS. But I'm not hopeful.

I guess I am happy that I got the T500 and TH8RS when I did. The new TX may be pretty good, but looking at the optional pedal and stuff it doesn't look to be the same robustness as the older ones...

They still sell the T500 in a re-branded GT6 box.
So I cannot see the TH8RS leaving the market yet.
Its one of the "pieces" of the T500RS system.

There was a shortage of T500s in retail until the GT6 re-branded versions started appearing.
Amazon UK, shows delivery between 2 to 6 weeks, depending on box branding (PC vs PS3),
but not unavailable.

Last edited:
According to http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/2974...hifter-(2960730)-zilver-pc-playstation-3.html the shifter is in stock and deliverable within a few days in a whole bunch of webshops in this country.

US specific shortages, perhaps due to unexpectedly high sales around GT6 release or Thrustmaster logistical problems?

Prices on all good wheels for Gran Turismo were €50-100 up on the usual in the weeks prior to GT6 launch... And back down again now. It really wouldn't surprise me if stock is scarce from actual heavy sales of products.

Last edited:
yeah, i can find the shifter in brazil as well (albeit priced at around USD350). it seems only the US is suffering with these shortages.

And I also don't believe the T500RS line is being phased out. They have confirmed PS4 support, and I doubt we'll see an official PS4 of this caliber anytime soon..

While I don't believe the T500 is going to be discontinued, I do think the Th8 shifter will be, in favor of the new shifter they have shown pics of. I don't see them keeping to products that are basically the same in production.

Time will tell on that. I have two, so I am set, used the hell out them for last year.
Cannot understand how some find them fragile, mine are mounted to 80/20 mounts with 0 flex.

yeah, i can find the shifter in brazil as well (albeit priced at around USD350). it seems only the US is suffering with these shortages.

Good thing you got that T500 overseas, brasilian friend of mine in RJ did same a few months ago when he went to Portugal.

While I don't believe the T500 is going to be discontinued, I do think the Th8 shifter will be, in favor of the new shifter they have shown pics of. I don't see them keeping to products that are basically the same in production.
I haven't really been following this topic lately. Does anyone have a link to some info or the pictures of the supposedly new shifter? I googled "thrustmaster new shifter" but got nothing substantial really.

The only thing I've heard about is a TH8A shifter which plugs directly into the TX wheel. It looks identical from the pictures on the TX facebook site https://www.facebook.com/ThrustmasterXTeam but instead of USB it has an PS/2? type connection. Inside Simracing showed the plug connector in a photo around their unboxing story on the TX wheel here: http://www.insidesimracing.tv/thrustmaster/thrustmaster-tx-racing-wheel-tx-pedals-first-images/
(see pictures at the bottom of the page). That is an extra plug compared to the T500RS, which doesn't have a shifter socket of course.

I guess the reason Thrustmaster produced a TH8A like this is because they weren't able to enable the use of the shifter as a USB device in the XBox One? I guess everything has to be wireless, which meant buying an expensive chipset or building the shifter with a cable into the TX wheel, so they went for the simpler approach.

The only thing I've heard about is a TH8A shifter which plugs directly into the TX wheel. It looks identical from the pictures on the TX facebook site https://www.facebook.com/ThrustmasterXTeam but instead of USB it has an PS/2? type connection. Inside Simracing showed the plug connector in a photo around their unboxing story on the TX wheel here: http://www.insidesimracing.tv/thrustmaster/thrustmaster-tx-racing-wheel-tx-pedals-first-images/
(see pictures at the bottom of the page). That is an extra plug compared to the T500RS, which doesn't have a shifter socket of course.

I guess the reason Thrustmaster produced a TH8A like this is because they weren't able to enable the use of the shifter as a USB device in the XBox One? I guess everything has to be wireless, which meant buying an expensive chipset or building the shifter with a cable into the TX wheel, so they went for the simpler approach.
A simple adapter, like is used for the wheel cable, is all that would be needed for it to be a stand alone shifter.

A simple adapter, like is used for the wheel cable, is all that would be needed for it to be a stand alone shifter.
Yeah, but the point I was making is that there is a good chance that the TH8A is physically identical to the TH8RS except for the different plug, not a new design.... So they could be sold in parallel to each other at least until the T500RS is changed to accommodate a shifter plug or discontinued.

However it doesn't make sense to stop the TH8RS USB version, since the ability to use it as H or sequential shifter and as handbrake means that users can happily purchase two. The single plug on the TX might mean that you can't use the TH8A as handbrake.... There's even a possibility that just as the TX 3 pedal accessory set can't be inverted, the TH8A is pure H shifter and can't do sequential or handbrake, for a lower price point. Same basic components but simplified.

Back