The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
Here's a photo of the Tiananmen Square "Tank Man" that shows just how many tanks he held up... I've never seen it from this view point before.

tank-man-wide.jpg

A while back I posted another one I'd never seen. Taken from ground level as the tanks were approaching in the distance.

Ah, I remember seeing that one now. That guy is the epitome of bravery: being scared out of your mind but doing it anyway.

---

Seafire pilot on HMS Indomitable, 1943

O1Cz3.jpg

Coconut palm in The Maldives:

island_coconut_palm_1600x1200.jpg

Plitvice Lakes, Croatia:

plitvickaJezera.jpg

Baobabs, Madagascar:

2311469915_fd92c63c1a.jpg

Ice canyon, Greenland:

ice-canyon-greenland.jpg

...and finally, Blue butterflies:

blue-butterfly.jpg

It is pretty cool. It came from a world geographic site, so I hope it's 100% legit as well. :)

According to the official explanation, it's caused by ice crystals that form high in the atmosphere, and then fall down, thus "perforating" the clouds beneath that area.

Seems too weird if you ask me.

My personal explanation is a lot simpler: aliens.

According to the official explanation, it's caused by ice crystals that form high in the atmosphere, and then fall down, thus "perforating" the clouds beneath that area.

Seems too weird if you ask me.

My personal explanation is a lot simpler: aliens.
Actually clouds at that level have their water molecules 'super cooled' to the point that they're actually below freezing but still retain their round water molecule state. So these water molecules that are still water so to speak until one of them actually freeze and crystallize. Once this happens it can cause a whole pattern (domino effect) of what you see in that picture to have what was once round droplets of frozen water become crystals which then fall to eventually evaporate etc.

That would explain what you're seeing in the picture with the cloud and projected hole in an otherwise alto-cumulus layer in the picture.
I've seen this many times when I lived farther North. :)

Latest Posts

Back