The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
misnblu
*snippy snippy*
That would explain what you're seeing in the picture with the cloud and projected hole in an otherwise alto-cumulus layer in the picture.
I've seen this many times when I lived farther North. :)

So it's kinda similar to what happens in 'Day After Tomorrow' but obviously not to that degree..

New York City... Noir [1600x1200]​

reZQU.jpg

Caught in a landslide

The pictures of planes just barely off the ground are pretty awesome. I would think it would be easier to attempt to fly that close to the ground on pieces of land that are incredibly flat, i.e. every area in the pictures. Nevertheless, still cool stuff. 👍

Open your eyes

Why is that a problem? It put the song in my head and I immediately had to go to YouTube to listen to it. The song is fantastic.

I'm just a poor boooooy...

1284652873842432221.jpg

...and this is a tardigrade. Astonishing little creature - able to survive temperatures close to absolute zero (0 Kelvin, which is −273 °C (−459 °F) ) or as high as 151 °C (304 °F). They can also withstand 1,000 times more radiation than other animals, and almost 10 years without water. Since 2007, tardigrades have also returned alive from studies in which they have been exposed to the vacuum of outer space for a few days in low earth orbit.

moar here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

I need no sympathy...

246445-solar-flare-2012-nasa-releases-amazing-images-of-the-sun.jpg

The sun erupts with one of the largest solar flares of this solar cycle in this multi-colored NASA handout photo taken on March 6, 2012. This flare was categorized as an X5.4, making it the second largest flare -- after an X6.9 on August 9, 2011 -- since the sun's activity segued into a period of relatively low activity called solar minimum in early 2007. The current increase in the number of X-class flares is part of the sun's normal 11-year solar cycle, during which activity on the sun ramps up to solar maximum, which is expected to peak in late 2013.

I'm just a poor boooooy...

1284652873842432221.jpg

...and this is a tardigrade. Astonishing little creature - able to survive temperatures close to absolute zero (0 Kelvin, which is −273 °C (−459 °F) ) or as high as 151 °C (304 °F). They can also withstand 1,000 times more radiation than other animals, and almost 10 years without water. Since 2007, tardigrades have also returned alive from studies in which they have been exposed to the vacuum of outer space for a few days in low earth orbit.

moar here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

'The biggest adults may reach a body length of 1.5 millimetres (0.059 in), the smallest below 0.1 mm. Freshly hatched tardigrades may be smaller than 0.05 mm.'

1.5mm :lol: Pretty cool what nature can build! :dopey:

'The biggest adults may reach a body length of 1.5 millimetres (0.059 in), the smallest below 0.1 mm. Freshly hatched tardigrades may be smaller than 0.05 mm.'

1.5mm :lol: Pretty cool what nature can build! :dopey:

They'll probably evolve and kill us all in the near future :dopey:

Found this on Google+, very cool!

METERIORITE.jpg

"When it slammed into the surface of Earth, there was little sign of the beauty that lay inside.But cutting the Fukang meteorite open yielded a breathtaking sight.Within the rock, translucent golden crystals of a mineral called olivine gleamed among a silvery honeycomb of nickel-iron.

The rare meteorite weighed about the same as a hatchback when it was discovered in 2000, in the Gobi Desert in China's Xinjiang Province. It has since been divided into slices which give the effect of stained glass when the sun shines through them.

It is so valuable that even tiny chunks sell in the region of £20-30 per gram. Arizona's Southwest Meteorite Laboratory, which holds about 70lb of the rock, says the remarkable find will turn out to be 'one of the greatest meteorite discoveries of the 21st century'. "

Back