The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
That's no space station. It's a moon.

mimas.jpg

Mimas to be exact. And we should have a good closeup look of the superlaser Herschel Crater (as well as a few other nice images) after Cassini does a flyby tomorrow.

Im not sure how real this pic is (looks like its been touched up), but I cant tell if it is or not... thought it was pretty crazy though and worth a post... Its a suppose to be a picture of the Tsar Bomba... the biggest H-bomb ever dropped on a cold night in Russia on October 30th, 1961... it was 50 Mega-tons :crazy::crazy: Just to put that into perspective... Little Man the atom bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima was only 15 Kilo-tons....

Tsarbomba-2.jpg

moment_pictures_37.jpg

354026947_5d8c95e31d_o.jpg

*A forest fire in Bitterroot National Forest in Montana in 2000.
*An awesome panorama shot.
354026940_f2219518d7_o.jpg

354023520_4cd4c4def1_o.jpg

Read the story in the pic. This is actually in my old Latin/Religious Studies Teacher's Class (I was forced to do latin - school's idea :scared:)

Yeah, my Latin/R.S. teacher said that the guy committed suicide because he didn't save the little girl. :(
Truly sad and brought a few tears to my eyes. :indiff:
To commit suicide was stupid but I can relate to the feeling of pain for winning something like the Pulitzer for the picture and not being able to do a thing to help the child. That's the truly sad part for me. :guilty:

Truly sad and brought a few tears to my eyes. :indiff:
To commit suicide was stupid but I can relate to the feeling of pain for winning something like the Pulitzer for the picture and not being able to do a thing to help the child. That's the truly sad part for me. :guilty:

No, you missed the point. He could do something to save the child. He chose not to help the child because of advice that the children were diseased.

Yeah, my Latin/R.S. teacher said that the guy committed suicide because he didn't save the little girl. :(

That is only slightly true.

He committed suicide because he felt his life had gone wrong, he had an increasing drug habit and had many failed relationships leading up to his death. He also felt bad about leaving his friends/colleagues to talk to a journalist, in which time his best friend was shot dead, and another seriously injured. Not saving the girl was minor.

That is only slightly true.

He committed suicide because he felt his life had gone wrong, he had an increasing drug habit and had many failed relationships leading up to his death. He also felt bad about leaving his friends/colleagues to talk to a journalist, in which time his best friend was shot dead, and another seriously injured. Not saving the girl was minor.

That's messed up. That's a crazy photojournalist's life if there ever was one.

That's messed up. That's a crazy photojournalist's life if there ever was one.

I don't know how these guys that cover war and famine get by day to day, it's one of the reasons I respect James Nachtwey so much, his images are so striking and sad it opens your eyes to the world around.

artwork_images_113308_124987_james-nachtwey.jpg

Probably one of his most famous photos, this guy survived a Hutu Death Camp.

james-nachtwey-4.jpg

This man is outside a feeding centre during a famine.

Picture%2081.png

Washing a patient who has XDRTB and AIDS.

Sure some people won't like this images I've posted and I won't argue if the mods wish to remove them but I'll just ask that people remember they are taken for a reason.

That last image is particularly striking Sweetshop. It really puts into perspective just how lucky we are to have food and the internetz and stuff. :guilty:

Sweetshop, I don't see these as disturbing but as an eye opener for those that have it all.
Like Aldo stated, it makes you think about how good we really have it.
Thank you.

Then open a thread about disgusting images and post them there. There's nothing amazing nor cool about them and now I think I'm going to lose my dinner.

Thanks for that.

I sort of understand why he's skin and bones, but why is he naked?! :odd:

If he was looking to stay regular someone should have told him they're made from a different kind of fiber.

I sort of understand why he's skin and bones, but why is he naked?! :odd:

If he was looking to stay regular someone should have told him they're made from a different kind of fiber.

Maybe a little insensitive for a public forum?

The more and more I read about Africa and hear stories from first hand experience, the more I get a boiling anger inside that the developed and developing world can continue to get away with freely exploiting these destitute PEOPLE with no apparant guilt. It's absolutely $&*#&*! disgraceful.

Rue

The more and more I read about Africa and hear stories from first hand experience, the more I get a boiling anger inside that the developed and developing world can continue to get away with freely exploiting these destitute PEOPLE with no apparant guilt. It's absolutely $&*#&*! disgraceful.

Uh, how exactly am I exploiting African people?

These images are by Jonas Bendiksen, a Magnum Photographer.

jonasbendiksen11.jpg

bend_a.jpg

Taken in Altai territory, Russia. A place where rockets fall out the sky into peoples back yards. The white specks in the first image are all butterflies.

Rue

Insensitive? Maybe, but this is really the wrong thread to be posting images of that nature. I came in here expecting to see another mind blowing image and instead I see "feel bad for everything you have" pictures of human suffering.

I don't understand how I'm exploiting Africa, unless you mean developed nations using Africa to exploit developing nations, in which case I feel the same way. I'm sick of for-profit charaties/businesses going over to Africa, finding some cute kid and making a video of them with some sad, heart wrenching story about how my pocket change could save their life. What they don't tell you is half of your money goes straight into the pockets of the company. So when you're feeling good about giving your hard earned money to little orphan Annie, you're really helping some CEO achieve 6 figures as well. 👎

Ok…maybe it is time for a quick reminder that thread is not intended to be a cool photography thread. I don’t want photos that show how well a photographer can compose an image. Maybe there should be some other thread created in the photography section for photos like that. This thread is really successful because of the interesting content of the photos. For THIS thread, a photo of a person near death is neither cool nor amazing.

Goats on the other hand...

crazygoats22.jpg

In my evil, bad attempt at World Domination, I'll start off buy stopping your goat conversation.

Mwa-Ha-Ha-Ha-[Ha × 10]-Ha-Ha.

Ha.

21a.jpg

Ha

EDIT: AWWW :banghead:!!! My plans have been foiled! Carry on with your goat. :grumpy:.

Last edited:
What's so different in seeing an amazing picture of a goat trying to gain footing in a near impossible assault on the rocks over an African trying to gain a foothold of nutrients to sustain what we call life.
To me that's amazing and cool in the interpretation of this thread.

So the H-bomb pictured earlier is cool and amazing because of the wow factor involved in the picture but brings mass death and destruction anywhere near the impact zone.
What's the difference in our judgment of what's cool and amazing in our interpretation there? How is that any different than seeing someone near death struggling for life as opposed to destroying it?

It's all in perspective if you ask me.
Both are appropriate in my books but then again, my books are leather bound so they can take the abuse of seeing beauty in the reality of what we're seeing which is amazing.

Either way, it's good to have controversy and this does bring out some good points.

My two cents, for what they are worth...

The pictures of hunger and famine have a much deeper impact on people than some of the more trivial, or novelty value, or colourful or ooooooooohhh-factor pics that are posted. If the picture can make people appreciate what they take foregranted, or open their eyes to the harsh reality that some other humans have to endure, then they are amazing in my book.

It's not about making people feel guilty about they have, or trying to claim you are arty because you take photos of death, pestilence, war and famine in black and white... it's about giving people perspective... and though many pics in this thread are "cool" in two pages time I will have forgotten them and I am unlikely to ever give them a second thought... an image of a child dying, crawling miles for food, though unpleasent, is far far more thought provoking and likely to actually have an effect on the way I see the world... than a goat going rock climbing (although I did like that picture too).

I think you're all missing the point. The point of the thread is for posting pics that are amazing/cool because f themselves and the subjects in them, not due to the emotions they may arise. The thread calls for being a bit more superficial than you're being by posting an image of hunger-stricken kids and death.

It's the difference between seeing the H-bomb picture and seeing how awesome the colours of the blast are and the level of detail, rather than thinking of the death shower it's bringing to whoever's unfrtunate enough to be within the blast range and how wrong it is for bombs to exist.

What's the difference in our judgment of what's cool and amazing in our interpretation there? How is that any different than seeing someone near death struggling for life as opposed to destroying it?

Either way, it's good to have controversy and this does bring out some good points.

Are those photos interesting? Yes. They have a shocking WOW factor for certain. Are they "Cool"? Not by anyone’s definition. I don’t think we would like to get into any political or humanitarian conversation in this thread. Sorry but no, this thread isn't about controversy.

With the vast derailment of threads on GTP, we are really going to keep this one focused to an intended nature. Sorry if it feels like it may be too narrow at times.

Are those photos interesting? Yes. They have a shocking WOW factor for certain. Are they "Cool"? Not by anyone’s definition.

They are amazing though. That is in the title of the thread, is it not?

Back