THE CHALLENGE HUB, CHALLENGE COMPLETE

• Thread starter bjl23
  • 10,190 comments
Triple Crown starts by turning left, yes?
Yes, I'm just about to start the round 👍

-------------

Hello boys and girls to the next round at the challenge hub!

It's round 57 of the NO-TUNE challenge, where we will be using the car that come 5th in the 2004 24 Hours of Nürburgring.

SKEAG'SRACING SCHOOL remains at the GT world championship, but this time it's silver service.

Get ready @fordlaser, @RMan72, @CozmicDragon, @nostradavor2, @smoothbore12, for hole 2 of the GOODWOOD challenge.

Get your guns loaded for SNIPER'S RIFLE.

The next CHIC is all about the TRIPLE CROWN with a SENNA twist.

It’s good to have traditions at the HUB SkeagRacingSchool so I have decide to make every Easter Sunday the day that we declare the winner of this years school. Great Congratulations to the winner of this year’s Sterling Moss (may he rest in peace) Trophy. Big round of Applause and Cheers to @RMan72

The winner of the race at Bathurst is @RMan72

Be Safe!!
I'm honoured to be chosen as the first winner of the Stirling Moss Trophy. It's a privilege to race with a great bunch of guys, I've learnt so much over the challenges set and look forward to the ones the Challenge Hub, @skeagracing and life put before us over the next 12 months.

Hi guys and hope to all of you enjoy ( as possible) your Easter .
As for me ,work occurs on Sunday and that was the tombstone to school race which by the way the car working perfectly with Noel's tune.
I was practice on Saturday a bit and leave it for next day but ....... :boggled:

Anyway from my heart a big applaud for our Boogeyman and his excellent races that sharing with us .
It deserves all the best and he's definitely has our respect as a person first of all and as a mate to our company that still remains tight and " lovely".
Gonratulations also to our new member @CozmicDragon which from now on is officially our " Snow white '.
He appears a little , he race what's interesting for and write a full fairy tale story to what is racing at.
Always a pleasure to read his posts.

A special :bowdown: for Tinkerbell which runs amazing at Laguna Seca with the " armadillo " ford.
Hopefully is our Easter this week and since we are in quarantine yet ,ill find all the time that i need to make my dv2 mates life a bit more difficult :D

Too tired but the morale is high enough ..... A big THANKS to all our members for the pleasant journey we have together.:cheers:

Challenging supercars in enemy territory!

High Speed Ring.jpg

High Speed Ring is a circuit that defines Gran Turismo. It's the ultimate classic track. I'm still upset they brought back Route X over this track in GT Sport. What's a Gran Turismo game with no High Speed Ring?

Anyway, before I start rambling, let's get to the race. This may seem like an easy event at first, seeing as you're driving a full-blown race car against road cars, but stop to think for a bit: This is a very fast track, one where you never go lower than third gear, and these road cars you're up against were basically made to go really fast. This seems easy, but it's anything but.

Since, due to no-tune rules, you cannot just lower the downforce to make your car go faster, slipstreaming is key here. Overtaking at the final corner is literally the last thing you want to do, as you want to have a car in front of you on the main straight to give you that extra speed boost. Without slipstream, the GT-R can hit at most 260-ish km/h on the main straight. If you have a car in front of you to abuse the slipstream, however, you can hit upwards of 300 km/h, and that sometimes means saving over a second on your lap times.

The Bugatti Veyron could be a problem if it shows up, but the field I got had the McLaren F1 instead. Once you pass him, his rubberbanding kicks in and he will keep up with you. The GT-R has very powerful brakes and can brake really late, especially compared to the road cars the AI uses, so brake as late as you dare and try to get at least into 5th before you enter the tunnel on Lap 1. If you can grab the next car's slipstream into the main straight (a Ford GT, in my case), you can save yourself quite a bit of time.

I usually get to first place on Lap 4, but if you're in first as you get to the main straight, and it's not the last lap, it's best to let the car behind pass you so you can get a little bit of slipstream. It's not as good as having it for the whole straight, but it still saves time. You want to spend as much time on the slipstream of another car as possible here.

After a few runs, my best time was a 5:43.077. How fast you go here can sometimes depend on luck, since slipstream is so important, so I don't know if I can improve this time all that much.

upload_2020-4-13_12-7-19.png

Next up...

I really think KTM should have stuck to making motorcycles...

Goodwood Hillclimb 2015_1.jpg

Back to Goodwood we go for the next stage of the Golf Festival.

And so, back to the narrow roads that mean one mistake can end your day. If Hungaroring is Monaco without the barriers, Goodwood is Macau without the barriers.

And so, just a few runs in, I struggle to even make it past Turn 4, and I realize that I really, really hate this car. It's so unstable and hard to control that it makes the Renault Alpine from the last round feel like a Formula 1 car in terms of grip!

Turn 1 seems easier if I quickly downshift to third gear before tapping the brakes and turning in, letting the car scrub off speed as needed. Turn 2 is just a lift-off, as it is with most cars. But then, after the flat-out section past Turn 3, we get to Turn 4.

And I lost count of how many times I flew off into the grass here. You want to get through here at 100 km/h, faster if possible, but if the car skids even a little, it's game over. Trying to catch the slide on a pad will just send you into the grass, and doing nothing will make you hit the inside wall. It's a dead end.

On the lucky times I made it past that part, I either crashed on Turns 5 and 6, or slammed into the wall coming out of Turn 7 - Which didn't disqualify me, but ruined the run. Only once did I make it to the end, with a time of 0:48.699, and I said "screw it, I'm done with this piece of junk".

By the end of this round, I'll probably never want to even see a KTM X-Bow ever again.

upload_2020-4-13_12-17-51.png

I did CHIC and Sniper's Rifle as well, but I'll need another post to get those in, so you'll have to wait a bit. Right now, it's lunch time for me.

Quest for the Triple Crown, Part 1: Indianapolis 500

Indianapolis Motor Speedway.jpg

Since there are no IndyCars in GT6, the Ayrton Senna F3 is the best fit. And lemme tell you: Racing an oval in a slow car is boring. This feels more like the Indy Lights Freedom 100 than the Indy 500, but we're gonna do it anyway.

It's an oval, so there's not much to say about the track. Every single AI will use the same car as you, so you're not really at any advantage or disadvantage here. The AI, however, don't know to lift off the throttle when close to the rev limiter, so they tend to bog down and lose a lot of speed that way. Keep the car from hitting the rev limiter and stay on the slipstream to gain an edge here.

The car can easily go through the entire track flat-out, so once you're on fifth gear, just leave it there for the whole race. It's going to be a long and boring race, 8 laps is a lot for a car like this, but grab something to keep you awake here. This is, honestly, more about endurance than speed, since winning the race is pretty easy.

I only did one run, with a time of 8:14.949. Honestly, I might still do another run today, mostly because this picture didn't really come out that well...

upload_2020-4-13_16-56-17.png

Last edited:
A duel to the death on Mount Fuji!

View attachment 910046

Home of the Japanese Grand Prix for two years, Fuji Speedway is a fun track to drive, even if it suffers from Tilkedrome Syndrome. Runoffs are wide and there's a huge main straight that ends on a very tight right-hander, but other than that, it's a nice track.

Starting off we see that this is quite the different challenge as your final time does not matter - Only your finishing position and the gap to the next car do. Still, it's best to try and keep it within the white lines as much as possible because these AI cars don't screw around.

Now, the NSX-R LM's stock PP is 560, meaning that you'll have to restrict its power in order to get it within the 485 PP limit. This means that the gigantic main straight will be your worst nightmare, as with the power restriction your NSX only has about 30 more horsepower than the road version, while you're competing against GT500 machines, some of which exceed 600HP. Staying on someone's slipstream on the main straight is key to not get left behind by the faster AI cars up front. A 55.5% power restriction should get your NSX to exactly 485 PP, as seen here:

View attachment 910049

While you're down on power, since your big engine got swapped for the road NSX's, you still have the big tires, downforce and brakes of a race car, so use them! While you're much slower down the big straight, you can easily smash the AI on most corners, especially by out-braking them into Turn 1 or into Turn 8 after the hairpin. The AI also seem to be really slow on the uphill section after Turn 10.

I'm not sure, but I believe @fordlaser designed this challenge under the belief that it is impossible to win the race, but actually, this race is winnable. It's not easy (I made the pass for the win with three corners to go), but finishing first is possible if you don't make too many mistakes.

I didn't really do too much with this one, I only did one run, but I finished in 1st place, with a gap of 0.089s to the car behind.

View attachment 910050

And now...
[/ATTACH]
@bjl23 forgot to mention to add 200kg of Ballast weight to the car, and you can change oil as well.

Challenging supercars in enemy territory!

View attachment 910003

High Speed Ring is a circuit that defines Gran Turismo. It's the ultimate classic track. I'm still upset they brought back Route X over this track in GT Sport. What's a Gran Turismo game with no High Speed Ring?

Anyway, before I start rambling, let's get to the race. This may seem like an easy event at first, seeing as you're driving a full-blown race car against road cars, but stop to think for a bit: This is a very fast track, one where you never go lower than third gear, and these road cars you're up against were basically made to go really fast. This seems easy, but it's anything but.

Since, due to no-tune rules, you cannot just lower the downforce to make your car go faster, slipstreaming is key here. Overtaking at the final corner is literally the last thing you want to do, as you want to have a car in front of you on the main straight to give you that extra speed boost. Without slipstream, the GT-R can hit at most 260-ish km/h on the main straight. If you have a car in front of you to abuse the slipstream, however, you can hit upwards of 300 km/h, and that sometimes means saving over a second on your lap times.

The Bugatti Veyron could be a problem if it shows up, but the field I got had the McLaren F1 instead. Once you pass him, his rubberbanding kicks in and he will keep up with you. The GT-R has very powerful brakes and can brake really late, especially compared to the road cars the AI uses, so brake as late as you dare and try to get at least into 5th before you enter the tunnel on Lap 1. If you can grab the next car's slipstream into the main straight (a Ford GT, in my case), you can save yourself quite a bit of time.

I usually get to first place on Lap 4, but if you're in first as you get to the main straight, and it's not the last lap, it's best to let the car behind pass you so you can get a little bit of slipstream. It's not as good as having it for the whole straight, but it still saves time. You want to spend as much time on the slipstream of another car as possible here.

After a few runs, my best time was a 5:43.077. How fast you go here can sometimes depend on luck, since slipstream is so important, so I don't know if I can improve this time all that much.

View attachment 910006

Next up...

I really think KTM should have stuck to making motorcycles...

View attachment 910008

Back to Goodwood we go for the next stage of the Golf Festival.

And so, back to the narrow roads that mean one mistake can end your day. If Hungaroring is Monaco without the barriers, Goodwood is Macau without the barriers.

And so, just a few runs in, I struggle to even make it past Turn 4, and I realize that I really, really hate this car. It's so unstable and hard to control that it makes the Renault Alpine from the last round feel like a Formula 1 car in terms of grip!

Turn 1 seems easier if I quickly downshift to third gear before tapping the brakes and turning in, letting the car scrub off speed as needed. Turn 2 is just a lift-off, as it is with most cars. But then, after the flat-out section past Turn 3, we get to Turn 4.

And I lost count of how many times I flew off into the grass here. You want to get through here at 100 km/h, faster if possible, but if the car skids even a little, it's game over. Trying to catch the slide on a pad will just send you into the grass, and doing nothing will make you hit the inside wall. It's a dead end.

On the lucky times I made it past that part, I either crashed on Turns 5 and 6, or slammed into the wall coming out of Turn 7 - Which didn't disqualify me, but ruined the run. Only once did I make it to the end, with a time of 0:48.699, and I said "screw it, I'm done with this piece of junk".

By the end of this round, I'll probably never want to even see a KTM X-Bow ever again.

View attachment 910009

I did CHIC and Sniper's Rifle as well, but I'll need another post to get those in, so you'll have to wait a bit. Right now, it's lunch time for me.
:lol:, Driving the x-bow is just like playing golf good in real life :lol:

Quest for the Triple Crown, Part 1: Indianapolis 500

View attachment 910051

Since there are no IndyCars in GT6, the Ayrton Senna F3 is the best fit. And lemme tell you: Racing an oval in a slow car is boring. This feels more like the Indy Lights Freedom 100 than the Indy 500, but we're gonna do it anyway.

It's an oval, so there's not much to say about the track. Every single AI will use the same car as you, so you're not really at any advantage or disadvantage here. The AI, however, don't know to lift off the throttle when close to the rev limiter, so they tend to bog down and lose a lot of speed that way. Keep the car from hitting the rev limiter and stay on the slipstream to gain an edge here.

The car can easily go through the entire track flat-out, so once you're on fifth gear, just leave it there for the whole race. It's going to be a long and boring race, 8 laps is a lot for a car like this, but grab something to keep you awake here. This is, honestly, more about endurance than speed, since winning the race is pretty easy.

I only did one run, with a time of 8:14.949. Honestly, I might still do another run today, mostly because this picture didn't really come out that well...

View attachment 910052
I'm glad you had the same thought as me on this car being close to a Indy car, hence way I chose it.

Love the write ups again :bowdown:

@bjl23 forgot to mention to add 200kg of Ballast weight to the car, and you can change oil as well.
Thanks mate, I forgot about the weight. It's being added to the rules.

If anyone gets P1 the tie breaker will become "biggest margin to P2".

Last edited:
Regulation breach detected, withdrawn!

The robots at Indianapolis hit the limiter, but Reyes and Nakayama who were the fastest and close to each other the whole race, were avoiding the slipstream and only hit the limiter after I took first. Rubberbanding logic plays a part, too, at least my first attempt would likely have ended with a lower position without it. I didn't bother with lifting then, as I realized I didn't know the speed limit yet. Which is over 241 km/h, but only a little.

On try two I got to first place on lap six and imagined I don't have to mind the pedal that much, but one of those two pushed me, which then reduced my speed instead of increasing it. Afterwards I opened the car settings, to save the distance, and in the game options increased the effects volume back to 25. I ended up with 10, that engine sound at high velocity is just terrible. Yes, it's supposed to be a well engineered sound.

Last edited:
I realy don't know what @Thematic did in that race but i spend an hour today and the only thing i get is to bust my 🤬 both of them.

Triple crown
IMG_20200414_193450.jpg

I try it this ,that way , mix way and only once i get down from 16s .

When you reach 242 you're done not to mention that am with my thumb blip blip blip all the time to correct my steering .
I was tired enough today and i thought it will be easier than others but didn't expect the drama of the rev. limiter .
I might give it a try again later on the week but right now i can't even think what am doing wrong .
Weird behaviour this single seater as it's concern steering movements ,never get use to it and i believe wheel users has a benefit on this ,i already run steering sensitivity at -2 and still is hard to get use to it.
Best first dead 1.04 and best lap 1.01 mid .
That's my news, we're all ok and waiting to stop working in 2 days to have more time.

@bjl23 what did you " smoke" to bring a single seater for this championship ? :confused:
You shouldn't drink before take such decisions :lol: .

I realy don't know what @Thematic did in that race but i spend an hour today and the only thing i get is to bust my 🤬 both of them.

Triple crown
View attachment 910350

I try it this ,that way , mix way and only once i get down from 16s .

When you reach 242 you're done not to mention that am with my thumb blip blip blip all the time to correct my steering .
I was tired enough today and i thought it will be easier than others but didn't expect the drama of the rev. limiter .
I might give it a try again later on the week but right now i can't even think what am doing wrong .
Weird behaviour this single seater as it's concern steering movements ,never get use to it and i believe wheel users has a benefit on this ,i already run steering sensitivity at -2 and still is hard to get use to it.
Best first dead 1.04 and best lap 1.01 mid .
That's my news, we're all ok and waiting to stop working in 2 days to have more time.

@bjl23 what did you " smoke" to bring a single seater for this championship ? :confused:
You shouldn't drink before take such decisions :lol: .
Boss man came up with the idea and I tested it for him and loved every minute of it. Hope you do too!

:lol:
It's the closet car on the game to an Indy car, do you know about the triple crown title in real life?

Maybe it's all this isolation that's getting to me :lol:

I know the 3 crown ,monaco and la sarthe are next and monaco is Ok but la sarthe ?
Its way frustrating to take attention to the speed just not to exceed 239-240 khm and bog down .
Anyway rules are rules and Noel is responsible for this :scared: .
I must hire an assistant to tell me the speed :
237....238 ....239 ......oh my God oh my God 240 cut ...cut ...238 ....239 watch out 240 get out of sleepstreming now ,cut cut damit 241 you're tost. :lol:

Looking forward for la sarthe and you might pick the no chicane version to make the drama worst :lol:

I would love to see a vid on this throttle game from someone laping at dead 1.01 s or lower which i think needed to touch the 12s that Saint did.
Anyway since no bad without good ,it will be a good opportunity to refresh my French language $#≥€≥¥≠€€©® pa mal.

GOODWOOD CHALLENGE:

COURSE 1 HOLE 2:
I hate this hole and this will be my last try at this, unless I am going to miss the cut.
View attachment 910614
:lol:, I'm kind of glad I got cut last round since I know how much of a pain this one is.

Looking out your record you can still do better, with your handicap your just behind @CozmicDragon.
CozmicDragon 0:48.749
fordlaser 48.900

Triple crown
Finally i find out how The Saint ride the white horse but am not gonna bother any further.
At first try i bog down 4-5 times.
IMG_20200415_191404.jpg

At second none
IMG_20200415_192539.jpg

Sleepstreming only at turns and on of continuosly at throttle when speed reach 239 .
Just save my controller from catastrophe at gas and left turn buttons.
Doesn't matter who is running at the field as long you can find the way not to exceed 240khm on straights

Goodwood entry
IMG_20200415_185116.jpg

Ghost predict that there is more ,how much i don't know yet .
The problem with all these type of challenges is that you're going better step by step in each sector with the first one as your best since you run it a couple of hundreds more times than the others .
I believe if i can avoid shaving and twictying the back end can go better.

PS
Shame that " boss " Bryce is out since we have an open account with the KTM from old days at Red bull ring and no tune challenge .

For me this Falken is GT-R #17 :D
In order of appearance, except that I may have gotten rid of some back in the seasonals.

57./No Tune (De Luca Calls You)

5:35.197

Related lap times were 68.605, 66.411, 65.957, 66.213, 67.987 as per replay. But they are not as meaningful as one might wish:

The FXX is recommended to be your wingman, I feel the races were more than a second quicker than with the first grid where I was against the F1 and in fact in the first grid I only had a low 5:38 or two. But it had faster cars in the back, making lap 1 certainly quicker. Had a 68.3+ opening.

The speed, and ease, of the four wheel drive car in the "slow" part seems quite uncanny to me, but otherwise it just seems very unremarkable.

By no means a typical result, as this was race number 22, and only the second time I went faster than 5:38 (sic). The other one was grid 2 as well, at a low 5:36 but about 50 minutes earlier.

edit: I guess I need to try 0 rev dives at Indy as well.

Attachments

• ch57_result.jpg
    ch57_result.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Double posting... not because I have an entry for Triple Crown, but because the previous one was invalid!

I forgot to change to RACING HARD tyres and used medium then. Sorry about that.

Triple Crown

8:11.957

I didn't notice the second place mover on my inside:
mind_the_in1.jpg mind_the_in2.jpg mind_the_in1.jpg mind_the_in2.jpg

I did have a revlimit check, maybe a couple.

Attachments

• 3crown1_result.jpg
    3crown1_result.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back