The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
OLDSKOOLACURA
how hard is it to configure the xbox (wired) controller to the PC?

I just bought the game for xbox 360, but I'll trade it back in for PC version if the xbox controller works good on pc.

If what I've read so far is correct, you just plug the controller into a USB port on your PC and make sure the option is selected in the controls part of the Esc menu in game.

I just rolled through the 24 hour mark and I'm not even close to getting into the main story line. It amazes me how much time I can waste on Skyrim.

Anyway I just got the Ebony Armour perk and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where I could find ebony ore at? I also have the Arcane armour perk and can't figure out how to craft any magical items.

If what I've read so far is correct, you just plug the controller into a USB port on your PC and make sure the option is selected in the controls part of the Esc menu in game.

where did you hear this? I'm going to search the net and see if I can find more info.

edit- from what I've found, you do just plug and play. sweet. looks like I'll swap for the PC version

Last edited:
Can you just delete old saves? I was gonna say that dead bodies shouldn't take much space, but then again, its not just an X,Y,Z (+rotation) coordinate for the body to lay, its the position of every joint of the model, which items it is holding/wearing, and maybe blood.

It's the size of your current save that grows. My save file started around 3 Mb and is now over 9 Mb. I have no real idea what causes it but it was present in the last Fallout game, and Skyrim runs on a modified version of that engine so it has clearly been inherited.

Syntax error
Just watched a dragon take on a mammoth. The mammoth won the fight. I just strolled up after the event to collect on the dragon soul. :lol:

I did the same thing just last night. Just before the Labyrinth mountain pass. Incredibly cool other animals fight. Oh and the mammoth was nearly dead so a few arrows and got that too.

Join guilds
Loot their chests for gold
???
Profit

You don't get much gold doing this, but every bit counts :)

Just watched a dragon take on a mammoth. The mammoth won the fight. I just strolled up after the event to collect on the dragon soul. :lol:

I watched a giant take on a dragon and win near Rorikstead. He can't have been happy with me grabbing the dragon soul though because he attacked me as well.:scared:

There were some Elves around and they said something like "you're on your own, we're not going involved" or words to that affect.

I ran for it!:)

I fought my 10th dragon last night and I am now level 15. 6 of those dragon fights have been in the city of Riverwood. They just keep attacking me there. But I am not complaining, I love the dragon battles. Heather ended up playing most of the weekend so I only ended up playing a few hours over the weekend. I am guessing I am around 45 hours into the game now. Just taking my time. Been spending most of my time messing with the enchantments, mixing ingredients, cooking meals, and just looting. I still havent joined a guild yet. I really want to though but dont have any to join yet. If there is a guild at the college I want to join that.

You can always join the Companions in Whiterun if you want to. House with all the shields on it back left of the city before the castle. I've fought 2 storyline Dragons now and 2 kind of random event ones. One I actually had to fight but there were a bunch of guards helping me out and the other the mammoth killed for me.

I just gave the marriage thing ago cause its not enough that I be bossed around in real life. Turns out Camilla is pretty subservient and makes me dinners and gives me profit from the business she runs. Little does she know the Dark Elf she married is a jerk that killed her brother just so I could loot his shop. Dragons are starting to turn up constantly now. Killed about 6 of them. I specialized in archery so they go down pretty quickly. This game is too addictive.

Funny. We picked the same girl.

I was at Riverwood and noticed the sky looked like it had Northern lights. Anyone else see anything like this?
1_1321897965_656460.jpg

2_1321898027_993947.jpg

3_1321898037_289399.jpg

4_1321898047_337917.jpg

5_1321898057_969312.jpg

Skyrim - A game where a Dragon stops your execution and saves your ass, only so you can live to kill them for the remainder of the game.

This is quickly becoming - Loading Times and Frame Rate Drop - the official game. :lol: Doesn't bother me that much though.

And yes I'm a lowly console peasant.

Join guilds
Loot their chests for gold
???
Profit

You don't get much gold doing this, but every bit counts :)

I have 68k, that is after spending 35-40k on a house and all the furnishings, and with 50k+ worth of items inside it :D I tend not to steal from guilds. The only thing i've stolen in this game as of yet are either quest related (So stuff like journals/evidence that sort of thing), or 'Unusual gems'. I haven't joined the Thieves guild or the Dark Brotherhood yet, i'm waiting until I run out of other things to do. Until them i'm staying completely legit.

I also haven't advanced the main storyline since Riverwood (I did go into the court in Winterhold Whiterun which did add the next quest, but the only reason I went in was to talk to the steward during a different quest. I also haven't taken side in the Legion vs Stormcloak war yet (Not officially, though i'm leaning towards the empire at the moment as i've made my home in Solitude - plus the Nord side has all the snow, and I prefer green :lol:). The steam achievements imply that this quest line is quite long as there are achievements for capturing cities, which sounds amazing, but it also may involve killing quest important characters which is why i'm leaving it for now.

This is quickly becoming - Loading Times and Frame Rate Drop - the official game. :lol: Doesn't bother me that much though.

And yes I'm a lowly console peasant.

I've noticed small framerate drops on the PC version too (i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz, 1GB Radeon HD 6850, 8GB DDR3 RAM so a fairly decent system) running on high (not ultra) settings at 1680x1050. I suspect my drops are more to do with a lot of things going on on-screen than anything save data related (Happens when in Markarth with all the waterfalls, or looking onto a mountain side littered with trees that are all swaying in the wind etc.). The drops on console are probably a result of extra data needing to be stored in the memory as you get further into the game. Oblivion had the same problem with slow-downs after several hours of continuous play (on PS3 at least), but that seemed to fix itself if you reset the game.

Is it possible to rename your saved games? If I reach a certain checkpoint (Like just before I became a werewolf) I want to keep a backup incase it has consequences that i'm not happy with, but I might accidentally save over it if i'm not careful. Also if I do this multiple times for various things (Like joining the legion/stormcloaks, killing someone in cold blood as part of a quest which may class as murder) then how do I know which is which?

Last edited:
I have 68k, that is after spending 35-40k on a house and all the furnishings, and with 50k+ worth of items inside it :D I tend not to steal from guilds. The only thing i've stolen in this game as of yet are either quest related (So stuff like journals/evidence that sort of thing), or 'Unusual gems'. I haven't joined the Thieves guild or the Dark Brotherhood yet, i'm waiting until I run out of other things to do. Until them i'm staying completely legit.

I also haven't advanced the main storyline since Riverwood (I did go into the court in Winterhold which did add the next quest, but the only reason I went in was to talk to the steward during a different quest. I also haven't taken side in the Legion vs Stormcloak war yet (Not officially, though i'm leaning towards the empire at the moment as i've made my home in Solitude - plus the Nord side has all the snow, and I prefer green :lol:). The steam achievements imply that this quest line is quite long as there are achievements for capturing cities, which sounds amazing, but it also may involve killing quest important characters which is why i'm leaving it for now.

I've noticed small framerate drops on the PC version too (i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz, 1GB Radeon HD 6850, 8GB DDR3 RAM so a fairly decent system) running on high (not ultra) settings at 1680x1050. I suspect my drops are more to do with a lot of things going on on-screen than anything save data related (Happens when in Markarth with all the waterfalls, or looking onto a mountain side littered with trees that are all swaying in the wind etc.). The drops on console are probably a result of extra data needing to be stored in the memory as you get further into the game. Oblivion had the same problem with slow-downs after several hours of continuous play (on PS3 at least), but that seemed to fix itself if you reset the game.

Is it possible to rename your saved games? If I reach a certain checkpoint (Like just before I became a werewolf) I want to keep a backup incase it has consequences that i'm not happy with, but I might accidentally save over it if i'm not careful. Also if I do this multiple times for various things (Like joining the legion/stormcloaks, killing someone in cold blood as part of a quest which may class as murder) then how do I know which is which?

:drool: HOLY!!!... Rich man... Save your game, then copy it to memory stick:idea. Isnt there a cure for being a werewolf or a vampire?

I've noticed small framerate drops on the PC version too (i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz, 1GB Radeon HD 6850, 8GB DDR3 RAM so a fairly decent system) running on high (not ultra) settings at 1680x1050. I suspect my drops are more to do with a lot of things going on on-screen than anything save data related (Happens when in Markarth with all the waterfalls, or looking onto a mountain side littered with trees that are all swaying in the wind etc.).
I get drops in the same situations too (i5 750 @ 3.04GHz, crossfired & overclocked 5770s, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080); Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas all suffered from framerate drops in visually busy areas so I'm not surprised that Skyrim has the same issues.

Not entirely sure if it's possible to reduce/prevent the frame drops in places like Markarth, I've tried it on medium with no AA and the Markarth waterfall still drops me down to 20fps from a v-synced 60. Hell, I could probably run the game on low at 1280x800 and still fail to get 60fps everywhere because Gamebryo's so bad :irked:

I only get some framerate drop when there is a lot of effects on screen like heat haze from torches mixed with glowing or other graphics effects from some objects in a cave, it's rare. (Ultra all but AA set with ATI controls and 4x AF, i7 920 @ 4ghz 4870X2)

I actually find it a little annoying the loading times are so fast, only get time to read the first two words in the loading screens, probably missing out on some good info. :P

:drool: HOLY!!!... Rich man... Save your game, then copy it to memory stick:idea. Isnt there a cure for being a werewolf or a vampire?

:lol: I found the Steed stone which gives +100 carry capacity. I am very specific as to what I pick up, calculating the value for weight in relation to cost, and then selling to various merchants when I fill up. Combine this with depositing every non-essential item in my house after each exploration and the extra effort begins to pay dividends. It can be a bit tedious, and I advance way too much virtual time fast travelling back to Solitude and waiting for shops to open (Sometimes 1-2 days in total as I have to travel to Whiterun if all the merchants in Solitude can't afford my stuff). When I reach 100k and get the achievement i'll probably get lazy and only pick up stuff I want to keep. I very rarely need to buy anything as you can make your own weapons, armour and potions.

There is a cure, but I think it is not possible to get it again after that without the console (Which makes steam achievements unobtainable). It makes little difference having this backup, because that backup was 30 hours of gameplay ago, so i'm hardly likely to go back now. Besides, there is no obvious downside to being a werewolf like there is with being a vampire. You press Z to transform and then again to roar (Which makes all the enemies flee for 60 seconds) and then it's just a case of picking them off one by one. I'm certainly looking forward to when I decide to stop being legit, slaying whole towns will be fun. You don't transform under full moon or anything like that though, it's all controlled by you, like any other spell or power.

I made a backup incase it affected character interaction or had serious side effects. The only effect it has had is guards occasionally saying that I have an unsettling wolfish smile or hair growing out of my ears :lol: Plus it gives me 100% disease resistance which is handy as I don't have to carry disease healing potions around, and vampires can't infect me, even when i'm not transformed :D

It may lack some of the bonuses of being a vampire, but it gives you more freedom in that you don't have to feed regularly. Vampires aren't nearly as strong in this game as they don't get the strength advantages etc. Infact they are worse off because all of their stats are reduced from your base stats in sunlight (I wonder if a snowstorm in the day is classed as sunlight... In some areas you can never see a clear sky, never mind the sun).

Jay
I actually find it a little annoying the loading times are so fast, only get time to read the first two words in the loading screens, probably missing out on some good info. :P

You probably have chance to read it several times on the 360 :P I have to say i'm quite impressed with the loading times to. I had Oblivion for the PS3 so everytime I entered a new area it seemed to take an age and really affected the immersion of the game.

Last edited:
I just read this on a site-

"Don't install it to your Xbox 360's hard drive.

For the time being anyway, you'll get better graphics on Xbox 360 if you don't install to the console's hard drive."

When you activate a Shrine, the screen says diseases were healed, doesn't it? Does that affect werewolf/vampire status?

Apparently, there was a patch out for the PC version yesterday. Before it, my game was running perfectly, now it crashes to desktop whenever someone discovers me while sneaking. :(

The "patch" wasn't a patch in the true sense of the word, rather all it apparently did was make it so the TESV.exe executable launched Steam first instead of launching the game directly - the original 1.1.21 executable could be launched directly (outside of Steam), with only the launcher actually hooking into Steam.

The new executable can't have its LAA flag set either, Steam fails to launch the game if you do so. Everything still works with the original 1.1.21 executable though.

When you activate a Shrine, the screen says diseases were healed, doesn't it? Does that affect werewolf/vampire status?

It does not. A werewolf or a full vampire is incurable by regular means. It does however, heal the vampire disease before full transformation (3 days) but you can easily catch it again so not to worry.

It's not possible to become both a vampire and a werewolf as both have 100% disease resistance, I think. You cannot join the companions whilst being a vampire I have read, but i'm curious as to what happens if you become a vampire between joining the companions and completing the quest to become a werewolf. Maybe you can end up as a Werepire or a Vamwolf? Combine this with a Khajiit and you have a Werecatpire or a Vamcatwolf đź’ˇ I assume though that you simply become a werewolf 100% and this overrides your vampire status (Therefore acting as a cure) or nothing happens at all. I'm not sure that you can become a Werewolf through combat like you can with Vampires.

I, by accident, caught the Vampire disease, cured it before it was too late. đź‘Ť This is a good thing because I prefer having a large health stat.

Just finished the Civil War quest for the Imperial side. Have to say, it was quite a bit easier than I expected, but I am at a pretty high level.

I made it all the way through the thieves guild, but in order to reap all the benefits, I need to do 6 jobs in each major city in order to restore the guild to its former power. It seems like it's going to take forever and may be tedious IMO. Has anybody else finished the Thieves Guild line yet?

Back