The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
Got my smithing level to 100 yesterday. Feel like such a cheat. I made it to level 71 the hard way (through lots of expensive training and regular smithing).

Found a little tip on the internet and got my level from 71 to 100 in less than an hour and cost very little. And that's including the time spent fighting the dragons that appeared.

To increase your smithing easily
keep buying iron ingots/ore and leather strips. Keep making daggers, sell the daggers to the smith and "wait" for two days. By the end, my gold count was only a few hundred less than when I started

I had one of the most epic battles last night. As I was wandering around the environment I noticed a silhouette of a dragon WAY in the distance. So I walked toward the silhouette. As I was approaching the dragon I noticed 2 Giants with a Mammoth. I decided to avoid those and kill the dragon instead. But as I approached the dragon I noticed it was not a normal dragon. It had a bunch of spikes and looked awesome! Then it started speaking english! Then if that wasnt enough it summoned a dead dragon skeleton from the ground that turned into another dragon!! Holy crap it was awesome!! So at this point I start battling this summoned dragon. Here is where it gets interresting. The dragon decides to attack the 2 Giants and the Mammoth. So then at this point I am battling all 4 enemies!!! After a few minutes the Giants kill the dragon and then the 2 Giants and Mammoth decide to attack me. I killed the Mammoth fairly quick while running from the Giants. Then after about 15 minutes I kill the first Giant. Finally after another 5 minutes I finish off the last giant.

BUT right before I finish the last giant I equip my soul sucking magic, shoot the Giant with it, then kill him and suck in his soul. Then after all that I check my Azura's Star and it has the Giants soul in it!!!!!
Some of the most amazing stuff happened in that battle. Just epic!!!

Also for those that dont know, you can rename enchanted items.
I spent a couple hours disenchanting and enchanting items to upgrade my character again. At one point I looked down in the lower left and for the first time "Rename" popped up. But this option does not pop up until you have all 3 times selected. So right before you "enchant" the item, you can rename it. I named my ring "BOW RING" because I disenchanted some Bow (archery) improving gloves. I also created some "Fire Boots" using a Fire resistance enchantment. I am still trying to find magica boots I can disenchant so I can have Magica boots on my character.

1_1321983396_391000.jpg

2_1321983409_987898.jpg

My character with an ice chunk in his chest.
3_1321983421_217423.jpg

Last edited:
Picked this up last Friday and so far I'm quite happy with this game even compared to oblivion which I must have hundreds of hours in. Level 12 with 3 dragons under my belt.

Pros:
not a glitch so far (PS3 version)
dual wielding is probably my favorite new addition
also love the food, smithing etc (borrowed from Fallout it would seem)
nice that things have been simplified a bit in some ways
the new graphics and UI while not the best ever are a great improvement
3rd person no longer looks half finished

Cons:
Not crazy about the new alchemy or enchanting systems
simplification also has it's downsides IMO
I like the favorites menu but severely miss the hotkeys

So far I've gotten the whitehold house with some upgrades and lydia, two shouts (on my way to a third) and I haven't yet journeyed to high hrothgar. Working on building up my gold a bit after the huge house purchase

Once you learn the enchanting, your character will be easily 2-3 times more powerful. I think its one of the best parts of the game, but enchanting does have a learning curve for sure.
1. You need to disenchant before you can enchant. Disenchant items that are already enchanted to learn the enchantment knowledge.
2. If you disenchant a weapon, that enchantment only goes toward another weapons. Appearl disenchantes go toward appearal items.
3. Then you need a Grand soul gem. It produces the highest output for enchantments.

What's with the ice in the chest? Does it have special properties and how the hell did it get there? It looks hilarious.

I believe it's from a frost spell. Next time someone uses one on you, switch to third person view.

I listened to psm3's podcast on skyrim and one of the journalists asked if he could change his warpaint after the original character creation screen. The warpaint he chose looked like "a custard stain" next to his lips.

His reaction was hilarious when he found out that he was stuck with the "custard stain".

What's with the ice in the chest? Does it have special properties and how the hell did it get there? It looks hilarious.

Very common bug right now in Skyrim. I had an arrow in my nose for about 15 hours. Now I have the ice chunk in my chest. The best part about the ice chunk is that it adds light wherever I go. Like a built in flashlight. :lol:

Here is the arrow that was in my nose for about 15 hours.
100_3749_1321291355_248853.jpg

:lol:

my favorite is the giant launching you (or anyone else unfortunate enough to cross paths at a bad time) into the stratosphere

Yeah. I posted about my Epic "Giant" battle last night in post #362. My follower and I got launched MANY times into the air to our death. I bet I died 50 times in that battle last night. I pulled out all sorts of potions, magic, everything I could use against those enemies in that battle. It was insane and epic.

Ok, I just finished EVERYTHING for the thieves guild now. The string of missions to begin with are pretty straightforward, but to earn the regenerating gold chest and master thieves guild armor, you have to do some extra stuff after.

Once you finish the main quest line you need to complete 5 extra jobs in 4 cities

These cities are: Whiterun, Solitude, Markarth, and Windhelm.

It is random as to which cities they assign these small extra jobs in, so if you don't get the city you need, simply walk back up to the quest giver, quit the quest, and get another one, repeat until it is in the correct city.

They will try to give you jobs in Riften as well. You still earn the coin for doing these jobs, but they do nothing to advance you towards any of these "special jobs". As you'll be doing 20 of these extra jobs at minimum, you probably don't want to do any unnecessary ones...so skip the Riften jobs.

Anyway, after you complete 5 jobs in each city, Delvin will give you a Special Job for that city (Again, just Marakarth,Whiterun,Windhelm,Solitude) once you complete all 4 of these Special Jobs you are finally done with the Thieves Guild, become recognized as the head, and reap your rewards.

Remember, this is all in addition to completing the quite lengthy Thieves Guild main quest line. It takes forever, but it's worth it.

PS. Avoid the bedlam jobs...they take a lot longer than any of the others. It seems that you can complete any 5 jobs in each city too, it doesn't have to be one of each type or anything. So unless you're a masochist or something, avoid the bedlam jobs.

I just figured I'd write this up for anybody else trying Thieves Guild...it is honestly very confusing with the extra jobs.

Got my smithing level to 100 yesterday. Feel like such a cheat. I made it to level 71 the hard way (through lots of expensive training and regular smithing).

Found a little tip on the internet and got my level from 71 to 100 in less than an hour and cost very little. And that's including the time spent fighting the dragons that appeared.

To increase your smithing easily
keep buying iron ingots/ore and leather strips. Keep making daggers, sell the daggers to the smith and "wait" for two days. By the end, my gold count was only a few hundred less than when I started

Yeah I've been using this little trick to level my smithing as well. I've also been using the archery trick to level quickly.

You get Faendal (the elf from Riverwood) to be a follower. You then ask him to train you. Do the training, then ask for him to carry stuff for you. You'll find the exact amount of money you just paid him for the training in his items so take it. Rinse and repeat. You can only train 5 times per level but every time I rank up, I go visit him and I rank my archery up real quick and it doesn't cost a cent.

I believe it's from a frost spell. Next time someone uses one on you, switch to third person view.

I listened to psm3's podcast on skyrim and one of the journalists asked if he could change his warpaint after the original character creation screen. The warpaint he chose looked like "a custard stain" next to his lips.

His reaction was hilarious when he found out that he was stuck with the "custard stain".

Ah never noticed as I almost exclusively play first person unless I want to checkout how badass my Dark Elf is looking in his gear.

If that guy would have purchased the pc version, he could have brought up the console with the tilde key and put in a simple command to change appearance mid game.

Very common bug right now in Skyrim. I had an arrow in my nose for about 15 hours. Now I have the ice chunk in my chest. The best part about the ice chunk is that it adds light wherever I go. Like a built in flashlight. :lol:

Here is the arrow that was in my nose for about 15 hours.

:lol: Excuse me sir, you seem to have an arrow in your face.

You can do the archery trick with any skill that a follower can train you in 👍

On the subject of leveling smithing, does anyone know if selling a stack of 10 daggers gives you 10x the speech XP as selling one dagger or is it the same amount?

I just got this for PC (traded my xbox version) and bought a wired xbox controller. I will start playing this game at holiday break.

Play it with kb+m first, the only thing that a 360 pad would potentially be better than a mouse for is navigating the menus (but you can use WASD for that).

When it comes to the actual gameplay, kb+m > controller

You can do the archery trick with any skill that a follower can train you in 👍

On the subject of leveling smithing, does anyone know if selling a stack of 10 daggers gives you 10x the speech XP as selling one dagger or is it the same amount?

From what I've read you gain the same amount of speech.

PS3 version. Every time I try to go in the Yngol Barrow I can see the inside for a split second and then the screen goes black.

Only the compass at the top of the screen is visible but I can't do anything at all.

When I press Start and try to load a save, load is ghosted out. Anyone else have this issue?

^I already talked about the Azuras star above in post #362. I found my Azuras star. Its a major spoiler so I put spoiler box around it.

Last night I finally saved up enough to buy my first 5,000 house in Whiterun. Then furnished everything inside. I was surprised that the price of the house didnt lower as I leveled up my speech. Even in Fallout 3 you would get discounts on the furnished items as you leveled up your speech. Not a big deal but it did surprise me. Feels good to finally have my own house. I tried to make my follower cook for me and do some alchemy. They performed the act but no product was produced. :lol: I am going to try and marry my follower and see if she will work for me after we are married.

I also spent about an hour enchanting more items and went from level 17 to 18 just from enchanting. Now my enchantment is level 50. I put the perk toward "gain extra 25% on armor upgrades" but I dont see the difference. Also battled my 14th or 15 dragon last night. Most of those dragon battles have been in Riverwood. This game is just so dang addictive. Cant wait to put some serious time into it over the weekend.

So how does the Azura star work? My friend has put countless times in Oblivion and says that since I have the Molag Bal rare mace which has a chance of storing a soul in an empty soul gem, I'm looking at infinite soul storage for weapon enchantment?

Is this correct, or how does one use the star?

Also, going for some rare weapons at the moment, they are much fun to collect! Currently own 2 rares; Azura's Star and the Molag Bal mace which is stupidly powerful. Going for Dawnbreaker next! 👍

If it's the same as Oblivion then it can hold any size soul and once you use that soul instead of the gem disappearing as usual you can use it to store the next soul you capture. Only one soul at a time though.

So if I understood you correctly the star will always capture a soul when I kill someone, but it only stores it if there's no soul already stored in it?

So how does the Azura star work? My friend has put countless times in Oblivion and says that since I have the Molag Bal rare mace which has a chance of storing a soul in an empty soul gem, I'm looking at infinite soul storage for weapon enchantment?

Is this correct, or how does one use the star?

Also, going for some rare weapons at the moment, they are much fun to collect! Currently own 2 rares; Azura's Star and the Molag Bal mace which is stupidly powerful. Going for Dawnbreaker next! 👍

You have 2 options with the Azura star.

1. You take it back to Azura and it can only collect common souls usually from Giants or certain other enemies. Cant collect human souls or animal souls. BUT this gives you the option to have the Female from Azura as your companion and she is EPIC in battle. Just epic.

---or----

2. You take the Azura start to Riverwood to the guy in the bar and this allows you to collect the souls of humans and those are all GRAND souls which are the best souls in the game.

Once you have the Azura star and activate it, you will need a way to "capture" the souls from the enemies. You can buy a weapon that has a soul capture enchanted on it or you can buy the soul capture book. If you buy the soul capture book you have to cast the soul capture spell right before the enemy dies. Then kill the enemy with a weapon or magic to capture his soul. Then you can enchant that soul onto a weapon or appearal.

Last edited:
Just maxed out my smithing, finally got to put all those dragon scales and dragon bones to good use making dragonplate armour. Upgraded to legendary grade and with rank 3 Juggernaut and Well Fitted I have 524 armour rating - once I get rank 5 Jugg and the Matching Set perk I should literally be a walking mountain 👍

Took down a dragon priest today so I felt that I might be able to go back and take on Otar the Mad. succeeded in the end but it was a very drawn out battle which I had to restart a few times. He has an impressive shock attack that can kill with one hit. The dragon priest masks look badass as well. I've been getting around in them.

Just maxed out my smithing, finally got to put all those dragon scales and dragon bones to good use making dragonplate armour. Upgraded to legendary grade and with rank 3 Juggernaut and Well Fitted I have 524 armour rating - once I get rank 5 Jugg and the Matching Set perk I should literally be a walking mountain 👍

Do you need both the scales and bones to make the dragonplate armor? I thought the scales were for the dragonscale set. I've killed 3 dragons today but didn't loot the bones and scale because I couldn't carry them. Is there a place where you can store items? Instead of the square button showing "drop", it now shows "store" in my inventory but I can't remember anyone telling me I received my personal item chest. Unless I got one when I became a member of the Companions.

What about the wherewolves by the way? I have a save game just before where I make a choice, but when I did choose to become one as well the Whiterun guards became hostile and I was sent on a quest to slay some random Silver Hand members. I kind of got the impression these wherewolve guys kill just for fun.

You can buy a house and purchase furniture and. Get a done of storage in your house. The reason itbsays store on the dragon is you can "store" your stuff on the dragon but I wouldn't advise it as it can disappear.

It doesn't say store on corpses but it says so on any random item in my inventory. Hence why I was wondering what it means since I have no storage as far as I know.

Back