The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
I got my Whiterun house for free. Do the following trick. Talk to the guy in his bedroom in the castle. There's a delay between when you select the Pay 5000 dialogue option and when he actually takes the money from you. Adjust your view to one of his dressers before making the selection, and then quickly open the dresser and store all your gold before he takes it from you. You get the deed to the house, and then you can get your gold back out of the dresser.

Social engineering. :)

hahahahahhaa

I got my Whiterun house for free. Do the following trick. Talk to the guy in his bedroom in the castle. There's a delay between when you select the Pay 5000 dialogue option and when he actually takes the money from you. Adjust your view to one of his dressers before making the selection, and then quickly open the dresser and store all your gold before he takes it from you. You get the deed to the house, and then you can get your gold back out of the dresser.

Lol, I had moments like that but very rarely it happens. Like I was battling with a Bandit Chief and I tried going out the door and coming back in. The guy's health was exactly the same prior from exiting and reset him to his initial location so I used that to my advantage.

I guess I'll try that out.

Buy the house, I don't even bother to do the companion tricks either with training as the money keeps rolling in from all the dungeon crawling.

I've been busy doing the daedric quests. These are fun and you always end up with some awesome weapon. Just finished Meridia's quest. So many dead corpses in the dungeon with heaps on cash on them. I think I netted about $5k just looting corpses. Also you end up with the Dawnbreaker sword. I've only specialized entirely in archery, but this sword is the bee's knees for some close quarter shenanigans with the undead. They have a tendency to explode when hit by it, vampires included.

Anyone else also meet Sheogorath the prince of madness? He's a funny fellow.

Buy the house, I don't even bother to do the companion tricks either with training as the money keeps rolling in from all the dungeon crawling.

I've been busy doing the daedric quests. These are fun and you always end up with some awesome weapon. Just finished Meridia's quest. So many dead corpses in the dungeon with heaps on cash on them. I think I netted about $5k just looting corpses. Also you end up with the Dawnbreaker sword. I've only specialized entirely in archery, but this sword is the bee's knees for some close quarter shenanigans with the undead. They have a tendency to explode when hit by it, vampires included.

Anyone else also meet Sheogorath the prince of madness? He's a funny fellow.

I haven't started on a Daedric quest yet but I think I will try clearing one out. Just joined the Companions by completing the trial of theirs and I think I'm ready for a Daedric one.

Mind if you direct me how to open a quest up?

I haven't started on a Daedric quest yet but I think I will try clearing one out. Just joined the Companions by completing the trial of theirs and I think I'm ready for a Daedric one.

Mind if you direct me how to open a quest up?

There are a few. To start the one that lets you meet Sheogorath, you simply walk into Solitude. A crazy guy will run up to you and give you a hip bone which will start off the quest.

For Meridia, you can find her shrine to the west of Solitude.

If you walk into Dawnstar, a guy will speak to you about nightmares the town is having, that's another Daedric quest.

The best one I came across was when you agree to have a drink with a guy called Sam at an Inn, hilarity ensues. My understanding is that it can be any inn that he turns up at.

I haven't found the other ones yet but if I recall, the wiki says there are like 15 or 16 of them.

There are a few. To start the one that lets you meet Sheogorath, you simply walk into Solitude. A crazy guy will run up to you and give you a hip bone which will start off the quest.

For Meridia, you can find her shrine to the west of Solitude.

If you walk into Dawnstar, a guy will speak to you about nightmares the town is having, that's another Daedric quest.

The best one I came across was when you agree to have a drink with a guy called Sam at an Inn, hilarity ensues. My understanding is that it can be any inn that he turns up at.

I haven't found the other ones yet but if I recall, the wiki says there are like 15 or 16 of them.

Too late. Already found Meridia's shrine when I traveled to Solitude via carriage for a quest :P But thanks for pointing out additional ones :)

Just got the 100k gold achievement :D

Now... what can I buy apart from houses that I can't already make 💡

Buy a ton of grand soul gems? Make yourself a badass set of armor? I don't know what level you're skills are at, but if I had 100k to burn, I would just work on enchanments until I could get that excellent double effect perk.

That way you can make yourself a kickass set of armor and weapons with dual enchantments.

Buy a ton of grand soul gems? Make yourself a badass set of armor? I don't know what level you're skills are at, but if I had 100k to burn, I would just work on enchanments until I could get that excellent double effect perk.

That way you can make yourself a kickass set of armor and weapons with dual enchantments.

I agree with the above statement. I only finally just started dabbling in enchanting once I figured out how to do it, and I've been missing out. Started loading everything up with enchantments now.

What's a quick way to level enchantments? should I just get a bunch of petty soul gems, some of the billion and one daggers I've made and do some low level enchantment grinding to get the still up or do you get more points for bigger enchantments?

I have no idea, but I'm wishing I hadn't already leveled my smithing up to 100. Sounds like I could have killed two birds with one stone.

For the record, all my armor has either magica regen or resist magica. I'm almost at level 100 two handed. I do carry a shield and a single handed sword. The shield has a fortify health enchantment as the only time I ever use it is when I'm near death.

I carry a large number of enchanted rings that I made too. General advice is only use grand soul gems or dark soul gems (if I'm remembering the name right) for items you intend to use.

Enchanting items with petty soul gems to level up seems like a good idea though.

I don't really bother with enchanted weapons though. I think I'll wait until my enchantment level is higher, so I can apply a good soul siphon enchantment.

Last edited:

I just started enchanting myself, I didn't realise it was a skill on this until about 30 hours in. In Oblivion the level of the enchantments depended solely on the type of soul gem you used (Of which, the stones you get from inside Oblivion gates gave 30%, so there was no point in soul gems at all if you wanted to max everything out, it was just a case of saving it before picking the stones up so you get the ones you want).

I think that is a good idea 👍, and I already have 100 smithing... however, most shops only sell one or two of each soul gem. I do have a collection stored in my house from the various dungeons i've cleared, but I think that may only get me to level 50 or so, depending on how many items you have to enchant to level up. So whilst it is a nice idea, it's barely going to scratch the surface of my 100k as any I buy will be funded by the things I do inbetween waiting for the shops to restock :D

EDIT:

What I have done is search various shops for enchantments on items that I haven't learnt yet. Some of the better ones usually cost 3k+. But, after enchanting and selling random items i'm making a profit, so now I have 110k :lol: I'm at level 51 enchanting now and still have around 25 filled soul gems left (Excluding grand and dark) with another 100 or so unfilled (Mostly petty and common), so I guess i'll be getting the Mace of Molag Bal out to do some soul harvesting :mischievous:

Question, can you harvest the souls of undead? (Draugrs and such) and can a gem be filled up with a soul of lower level like in Oblivion (i.e. I don't want to fill up grand/greater soul gems with petty souls).

Last edited:
I got my Whiterun house for free. ****snip****
I own three fully furnished houses: Whiterun, Riften, and Markarth, and I have not spent a single septim by using the cheat you referred to. The one that was a bit tricky to pull of, and took a few reloads, was the house in Markarth.

I had to speak to the steward, Raerek, while he was sitting down at his dinner table facing the far wall, as tampering with any of the dresser drawers in his room is considered stealing, and he will catch you unless you are directly behind him.

The stewards at Whiterun and Riften were very easy to get past, and I am still trying to figure out how to get the option to even buy homes in Solitude and Windhelm so I can continue to test my theft skills against the stewards.

Question Posted by Seismica:
Question, can you harvest the souls of undead? (Draugrs and such) and can a gem be filled up with a soul of lower level like in Oblivion (i.e. I don't want to fill up grand/greater soul gems with petty souls).
If you happen to accidentally fill a Grand Soul Gem with a lesser soul for example, simply drop the Grand Soul gem on the ground and pick it back up again. It should now be empty, at least it is for me, and I'm playing on the PS3. The problem that I have with Grand Soul gems is that it seems as if the only creatures with Grand Souls are the Mammoths, and I really don't like to bother them. That is why I prefer the Black Soul Gems, and the Black Star.

Last edited:
I just hit the 100 hour mark for Skyrim and hit level 30 last night. My enchantment just hit level 80 last night that allowed me to apply the 5/5 perkf for enchanting. Which means I get 100% more from my enchantments!! I also disenchanted and created a necklace that gives me a 20% discount on purchase. Actually if I re-enchant a new necklace I will get an even higher discount now that my enchantment is raised. :) Plus I picked the speech perk that gives me 10% discount from the opposite sex. So the necklace combined with that perk give me well over 30% bonus on everything I buy or sell.

I plan to rebuild my entire character and my follower tonight with ALL new enchanted items. New armor, new rings, new weapons, new necklaces. The enchantment is probably one of THE most important skills to learn in Skyrim IMO.
I posted some really helpful advice in post 424 for those interrested in enchanting.

Do you guys cheat through the game when under a desperate situation? Like I'm on the Daedric quest for Meridia and at the point where Malkoran is. And so far he is freaking strong! His Destruction spells just splits me in two, and his henchmen of his makes things 100 times worse! I was at Expert at the time so I could tone it down to Novice, as there isn't any change other than damage taken and dealt. But I feel like it's cheating..

EDIT: By the way I did the glitch thing for a free house and it worked. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is the reason people are struggling with Mammoths etc. because they are on a higher difficulty than me? I'm curious, because the only enemies that I have trouble with (Bearing in mind I haven't advanced the main story so haven't fought any Dragons) is Arch Necromancers, which can pretty much kill me in 3-4 hits (Ice magic too so if they hit me once I can't get close with my shield so i'm pretty much dead). I'm on the default difficulty, but considering how much of a struggle it was at low level I don't see how I could have gone any higher. I think the game just gets easier as you level, which makes a pleasant change from Oblivion which did the exact opposite. I'm currently level 43 (I think) with heavy armour around 90, One handed around 95 and Blocking at around level 75-80.

What is everybodies playing style? I tend to sneak with a bow and then switch to Sword and Shield when things get rough. Shield bash is so useful, it stuns just about anything, including Giants and Mammoths. Step 1: Shield Bash Step 2: 2-3 sword strikes Step 3: Rinse and repeat to kill any enemy. For more awesomeness bash them before they withdraw their weapon and they can never hope to hit you... until you run out of stamina :D

Is the reason people are struggling with Mammoths etc. because they are on a higher difficulty than me? I'm curious, because the only enemies that I have trouble with (Bearing in mind I haven't advanced the main story so haven't fought any Dragons) is Arch Necromancers, which can pretty much kill me in 3-4 hits (Ice magic too so if they hit me once I can't get close with my shield so i'm pretty much dead). I'm on the default difficulty, but considering how much of a struggle it was at low level I don't see how I could have gone any higher. I think the game just gets easier as you level, which makes a pleasant change from Oblivion which did the exact opposite. I'm currently level 43 (I think) with heavy armour around 90, One handed around 95 and Blocking at around level 75-80.

What is everybodies playing style? I tend to sneak with a bow and then switch to Sword and Shield when things get rough. Shield bash is so useful, it stuns just about anything, including Giants and Mammoths. Step 1: Shield Bash Step 2: 2-3 sword strikes Step 3: Rinse and repeat to kill any enemy. For more awesomeness bash them before they withdraw their weapon and they can never hope to hit you... until you run out of stamina :D

I did noticed I can destroy enemies that I couldn't earlier like Saber Cats and Bears, but still leave quite a mark on my condition. Bosses on the other hand are another story, but it's obvious that you'll have to carefully plan out the battle to actually succeed. Just not for Malkoran. I found a couple of ways to counter his spells, like hiding behind pillars/walls, but I'm not sure how to actually inflict damage without him healing or firing a sudden one on me. And there's his henchmen to deal with, which he can conjure them when a couple dies. My idea to killing him is if I do it right I can paralyze him to unleash some sure shots onto him, but once again I can't find the right moment to do so. My temporary companion Aela I used as a distraction but she gets slain quite easily. I also toned it down to Novice to make things a bit easier. Or perhaps I should wait until I'm more experienced, because I'm only at Level 14 w/ skills at the 20-30 ranges.

My playing style is similar to yours. I pull out a bow and arrow and attempt to get a sneak attack. If not I'll do it anyways. Usually if the enemy is pretty tough I wait there and fire more arrows, but there's also time for a bit of hacking. I dual-wield maces and swords most of the time, so I can use the special attack that can cause a lot of damage. I pace myself carefully to make sure I don't get hit with a power attack. I combine my arsenal with some spells too. I enchant occasionally, poison occasionally as I have a large cache of the stuff. So you can say I'm mostly a Warrior type.

^From what I have heard, the outside enemies do not level up. All other enemies do that are in caves and part of the story. Not sure how true that is but seems about right. I have run into easy enemies and some VERY VERY difficult enemies. I keep it on the default difficulty but if I get in trouble I lower the difficulty to get past that part of the game.

My play style has been 3 different ways. (mainly 1 and 2)
1. Bow and arrow
2. Shield left hand magic right hand
3. Dual wield magic

I ran into some major confusion last night with blacksmithing. I found a ring that is supposed to increase the smithing. But when I put on the ring I dont see any different results numerically. My armor still goes from 70 to 80. Then even if I drink a potion, I get the exact same results. I even made a ring and necklace for smithing and still get the same results. Someone on a different forum said this only increases the (fine) part of the armor and not the number. That doesnt seem right but my armor is now (exquisit) instead of (fine) so maybe that is correct. Just doesnt seem like it should work like that. Its the only part of Skyrim that really has me confused and I experiemented with it for over an hour.

I also have to make a decision about the redguard woman.
Not sure if I should kill the guy in the cave that wants her captured, or is she lying and I should turn her in.

**** possible spoiler ****

Has anyone done the winterhold collage quest? I'm trying to kill Arcano but I could not do it. I used the staff of Magnus on the eye but then I try to strike him and it's like he is not there. All my attacks go right trough him. Is it a glitch or Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Do you guys cheat through the game when under a desperate situation? Like I'm on the Daedric quest for Meridia and at the point where Malkoran is. And so far he is freaking strong! His Destruction spells just splits me in two, and his henchmen of his makes things 100 times worse! I was at Expert at the time so I could tone it down to Novice, as there isn't any change other than damage taken and dealt. But I feel like it's cheating..

EDIT: By the way I did the glitch thing for a free house and it worked. Thanks!

I had a lot of trouble with Malkoran as well and it seems like it might actually be a glitch where his spells are ignoring resistances, in any case I managed to kill him by using a lot of sneaky tactics with the throw voice shout luring him out of the room he was in. Once he was in the corridor I hid behind a statue and summoned daedra over and over until he was dead. :)

So far I haven't touched the difficulty slider and don't plan to except maybe to make it harder at some point.

I'm a nordic warrior fanboy, so I tend to run into the room like a steamtrain with my Fus-Ro-Dah shout ready, blow them off their feet and then kill them while they're recovering from the initial blow :lol:

I haven't played skyrim in a while now since the newest WoW patch was released last week so I've been busy with that. But in 2 weeks it's Christmas break, nearly a month and I'll be taking a break from WoW raiding during that period. In Skyrim I'm level 30, but mainly due to my level 100 smithing. Hoping I can put some good hours during Christmas in this game 👍

**** possible spoiler ****

Has anyone done the winterhold collage quest? I'm trying to kill Arcano but I could not do it. I used the staff of Magnus on the eye but then I try to strike him and it's like he is not there. All my attacks go right trough him. Is it a glitch or Am I doing something wrong?

You have to use the staff on the orb/ball thing until the pieces join back together again, then you can damage Arcano, you will have to rinse and repeat because he makes the ball seperate again and again until you kill him.

Really? I just gave him an old-fashioned ass whoopin' when he came to get some.

edit: Actually, I don't remember using the staff at all. I'm pretty sure I just had Atronachs pound him into dust. He's not invincible against that. :lol:

Last edited:
I had a lot of trouble with Malkoran as well and it seems like it might actually be a glitch where his spells are ignoring resistances, in any case I managed to kill him by using a lot of sneaky tactics with the throw voice shout luring him out of the room he was in. Once he was in the corridor I hid behind a statue and summoned daedra over and over until he was dead. :)

So far I haven't touched the difficulty slider and don't plan to except maybe to make it harder at some point.

Hiding behind stuff will be able to block out his spells if you want to go up close and personal. I also read that paralyzing him will give you enough time to kill him. The problem with me confirming this is that I can't find an opportunity to deliver the poison.

^From what I have heard, the outside enemies do not level up. All other enemies do that are in caves and part of the story. Not sure how true that is but seems about right. I have run into easy enemies and some VERY VERY difficult enemies. I keep it on the default difficulty but if I get in trouble I lower the difficulty to get past that part of the game.

That sounds about right. Every enemy I fight outside is easy now. I can kill bears and trolls in a few hits without taking damage, and giants/mammoths are never a problem. It's silly considering you can't increase strength as a stat, I think all the difference is in my sword skill level, the perks associated and my sword power itself. But when fighting in caves, I come across enemies which can do a fair bit of damage. Enemies that use ice magic are probably the worst, so my ability to shield bash is removed as I can't close the distance and it drains my stamina completely.

I ran into some major confusion last night with blacksmithing. I found a ring that is supposed to increase the smithing. But when I put on the ring I dont see any different results numerically. My armor still goes from 70 to 80. Then even if I drink a potion, I get the exact same results. I even made a ring and necklace for smithing and still get the same results. Someone on a different forum said this only increases the (fine) part of the armor and not the number. That doesnt seem right but my armor is now (exquisit) instead of (fine) so maybe that is correct. Just doesnt seem like it should work like that. Its the only part of Skyrim that really has me confused and I experiemented with it for over an hour.

I just found this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Smithing#Item_Quality

It seems there is no upper limit to what level something can be improved, but some increases in % will not improve it at all. I think the imporvements happen in increments rather than improving by 1 or 2 points with each improvement.

I'm at level 7 at the moment, thought I'd try some pick pocketing, end up getting killed by 5 guards.
Thinking alright, moving on now, but after the game starts again I'm surrounded by the same guards and I'm killed within seconds again with nowhere to go, repeatedly. Got tired of it and turned the game off.

I'm at level 7 at the moment, thought I'd try some pick pocketing, end up getting killed by 5 guards.
Thinking alright, moving on now, but after the game starts again I'm surrounded by the same guards and I'm killed within seconds again with nowhere to go, repeatedly. Got tired of it and turned the game off.

must have had a bad autosave, either try an earlier autosave or try your last regular save

Have you tried putting your weapon away? Sometimes that will make the guards arrest you instead. You'll lose items that you stole, but must be a better option.

Back