The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
Can someone tell me what those light blue icons mean in the banner on top of the screen?
Entered a small village and it popped up when I get closer it just disappears, only to return again when walking back.

Can someone tell me what those light blue icons mean in the banner on top of the screen?
Entered a small village and it popped up when I get closer it just disappears, only to return again when walking back.

That's your Shout Bar. Whenever you use a Shout it turns light blue. Depending on the shout it can take a couple of seconds to a minute to recharge.

EDIT: Defeated Alduin (the 1st time) :)

Nope it's not that, I wasn't doing anything.
It's the same icon as a person you're looking for but then in light blue.

You may have set a waypoint/map marker.

Open up the map and set a waypoint (Can't remember the hotkey, but it should say on the tab at the bottom). It will bring up a menu saying "Leave it, Move it or remove it" and select remove it. The blue icon should be gone :)

Ha, guess that was it, I've set that marker yesterday, guess I took the long way around the mountain and got caught up in sidequests and completely forgot about it :embarrassed:

In UK this game has dropped by £13 on average after 5 weeks of release.

Good bargain.

When/if it gets fixed, it will be cheaper still and hopefully beta tested to a good degree. I will definately pick it up in the future if fixed.

Over the weekend I hit level 36 with around 133 hours. Enchantment is now around 82. I also finally decided to take on the main campaign and wow what a ride that is. I wont list spoilers but dang just incredible especially toward the end. I still have a LOT of other missions to do and side quests. Plus I have not really picked if I want to join the Storm cloaks or the Imperials but I am going to pick to join the Imperials just because most of my friends joined the Stormcloaks.

I also heard that Skyrim won GOTY 2011 and it sure deserves it.

So is there a certain level you should be on to kill a giant, or is it just a case of not getting hit (makes sense)?

So is there a certain level you should be on to kill a giant, or is it just a case of not getting hit (makes sense)?

I killed my first giant at level 2...5? and it was fairly easy. Before that I had left them completely alone after getting killed a few times by accident. Like you said make sure not to get hit, ice attacks slow them down enough to keep doing damage, ranged magic or bow and arrow are the best way IMO.

Thanks for the advice 👍

Love the surprises in this game. Almost at my destination after an hours walking, entered a bar for an innocent drinking contest. Woke up on the other side of the map :lol:

And make use of the terrain, like trees or big rocks. Try to keep on of those between you and the giant while you use ranged attacks. And a redshirt, euh, I mean companion is handy too. :D

Thanks for the advice 👍

Love the surprises in this game. Almost at my destination after an hours walking, entered a bar for an innocent drinking contest. Woke up on the other side of the map :lol:

Funniest quest. The Hangover RPG fantasy style! :lol:

Thanks for the advice 👍

I did that over the weekend and let me tell you, that is one epic reward for that mission. Never expected anything like that at all. :dopey: 👍

I just killed one at level 25, I primarily use bows anyway so my ranged skill was high, I did 2 sneak attacks (3x damage) and then just kept pumping arrows into them.

I have a question for you guys. I just got Daedric armour recently and i'm wondering how much better Dragon armour really is when compared to Daedric.

I just killed one at level 25, I primarily use bows anyway so my ranged skill was high, I did 2 sneak attacks (3x damage) and then just kept pumping arrows into them.

I can take a giant down with 2 arrows now at level 29. I've got pretty much all the archery perks, I'm going to start unlocking sneak perks next, I'm fairly certain once I unlock Deadly Aim, I'll probably be able to one shot a mammoth. :lol:

I have a question for you guys. I just got Daedric armour recently and i'm wondering how much better Dragon armour really is when compared to Daedric.

Here is some stuff info on both armor types: Daedric Armor & Dragon armor

I seriously have to get my archery perks up. I'm at level 15 at the moment and using the bow alot (about level 43 I think) but I'm a bit sloppy when it comes to chosing perks.

Edit: I appear to be having brain rot, MP is down 25 points and don't have to capabilities to get rid of it :grumpy:

Once your save gets to 11mb, be expected to get constant freezes on the PS3. I cant play Skyrim any more :grumpy: it'll just freez a couple minutes in game :ouch:.

I don't level up as much anymore. After I obtained all 3 levels of Unrelenting Force, I just went around with godmode on (Which allows shouts to be used continuously without having to recharge) and just hurling people and monsters off cliffs :lol::lol: God I love this game.

I seriously have to get my archery perks up. I'm at level 15 at the moment and using the bow alot (about level 43 I think) but I'm a bit sloppy when it comes to chosing perks.

Edit: I appear to be having brain rot, MP is down 25 points and don't have to capabilities to get rid of it :grumpy:
Once you start leveling your archery up, make sure to get perk that lets you zoom in and the other perk that slows down time. Those 2 perks helps a LOT. I have the 1/2 slot to slow down time and thats all you really need. You dont need 2/2 for that.

I found some more Ebony armor last night from the female blacksmith in Whiterun. Upgraded it, enchanted it and now my full armor is 323!! 👍 Enchantment is level 86.

Once you start leveling your archery up, make sure to get perk that lets you zoom in and the other perk that slows down time. Those 2 perks helps a LOT. I have the 1/2 slot to slow down time and thats all you really need. You dont need 2/2 for that.

I found some more Ebony armor last night from the female blacksmith in Whiterun. Upgraded it, enchanted it and now my full armor is 323!! 👍 Enchantment is level 86.

My gosh that's high :eek: You can resist any physical attack! Mines is at around 110 at full armor w/ an improved Blades Armor, but it's enough to get some quests done.

I think my Archery is at 48 or less, I dunno. I got the zoom perk but not the slow down time perk. Archery helps me clear out forts or a way to snipe out some foes.

By the way, does anyone know a quicker way to level up Smithing? My character build calls for one lol.

Quickest way to level smithing is to make iron daggers. The ingots are cheap and easy to find.

I already have the zoom, but I think that's about it. My perks are pretty much scatered all over the place :dunce:
Going to start completing archery today.

Quickest way to level smithing is to make iron daggers. The ingots are cheap and easy to find.

Another method would be to kill every bear/fox/sabre cat/deer etc. you come across. Make the hides into leather and then make leather strips so you end up with a ration of 1 leather to 2 leather strips. Then make lots of Leather armour pieces (Think it's the hand bits, braces is it?)

Others say make iron daggers but I found this way much easier as I gathered the materials through adventuring, iron ore/ingots are much harder to come buy unless you buy them. It's good for power-levelling the stat.

I have 140k now. It's silly how there is nothing to spend my money anything; everything can be either found or made. Whilst I do buy the odd ingredients (Like Daedra hearts for smithing, Fire salts/ice wraith teeth for quests etc.) I have no outgoings apart from houses (Two of which I already own, including the one in Solitude which I think is the most expensive one). I'm now level 46 and starting to find Daedric weapons in chests etc. which usually sell for more money than a shopkeeper has.

I wish I could reset all my perks for 100k or something, i've made some silly choices with my character :( I'll have to see if I can level up everything I want. One thing I want to remove is the speech perks, as all they do is allow me to make more money from selling items (Which becomes useless when you get beyond a certain point).

I think I may start using two handed weapons, just to increase my level. My one-handed is level 100 and my heavy armour/blocking aren't far behind so my levelling is going to slow down hugely.

Last edited:
I have the 1/2 slot to slow down time and thats all you really need. You dont need 2/2 for that.

This would depend on your character build really. I wear no armor being that I'm an archer so the 2/2 slowdown is immensely helpfully in giving me time to pick strategies for take down and exit if need be as a single hit can be enough to end a game.

My gosh that's high :eek: You can resist any physical attack! Mines is at around 110 at full armor w/ an improved Blades Armor, but it's enough to get some quests done.
When I was levelling heavy armour to 100 using Dragonplate I had 720+ AR at one point ;)

I wish I could reset all my perks for 100k or something, i've made some silly choices with my character :( I'll have to see if I can level up everything I want. One thing I want to remove is the speech perks, as all they do is allow me to make more money from selling items (Which becomes useless when you get beyond a certain point).
If you're playing on PC (which you should be imo, it's Elder Scrolls...) then you can remove/add perks using the dev console 👍

Seismica
I think I may start using two handed weapons, just to increase my level. My one-handed is level 100 and my heavy armour/blocking aren't far behind so my levelling is going to slow down hugely.
I'm going to have to do this too, my heavy armour, blocking and one-handed are all 100. When I hit 100 HA I switched to light armour, and now I've maxed 1H I'm going to use bound sword and greatswords to finish off conjuration and level 2H respectively. Levelling 2H may be a bit painful as I don't have any of the two-handed perks - at least with 1H I have all five ranks of +% damage.

Back