The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
I think I forgot to mention I got this game a little while back. I love it to bits :D I'm level 29 at the moment, and I have 91 sneak so I just do the thief guild quests and the dark brotherhood quests.

Some 44 hours into the game right now, almost level 23. Don't know if that's slow but don't care much either :sly:
Getting the hand on alchemy, found some sweet paralysis and damage regen poison combos.
Glad I finally bought my house in whiterun, was getting tired of either selling stuff at super low prices or just throwing it away (my potions were starting to take up some space), now I have some room to do some exploring.

If anyone is experienced at selling stuff, do the prices go up as you sell more? Or do I have to get speech up and fill some perks? Right now I'm selling stuff for 150 and seeing I can buy them again for nearly 2000 gold.

If anyone is experienced at selling stuff, do the prices go up as you sell more? Or do I have to get speech up and fill some perks? Right now I'm selling stuff for 150 and seeing I can buy them again for nearly 2000 gold.

I'm not too much of a merchant as I get huge payouts from small things anyways. But I think as you develop on your Speech when prices start to balance.

Here's some formulas from UESP:

UESP - Speech Prices
Base price factor depend on skill level:
price factor = 3.3 - 1.3 * skill/100

Modulation price factor depend on perks and fortify barter bonus:
sell price mod factor = (1 + Haggling) * (1 + Allure) * (1 + Fortify Barter from potion) * (1 + the sum of Fortify Barter from equipment
+ Fortify Barter from Blessing of Zenithar)
buy price mod factor = ROUND(1 / (1 + Haggling), 2) * ROUND(1 / (1 + Allure), 2) * (1 - Fortify Barter from potion) * (1
- the sum of Fortify Barter from equipment - Fortify Barter from Blessing of Zenithar)

Result price:
sell price = ROUND((value / price factor) * sell price mod factor, 0)
buy price = ROUND(value * price factor * buy price mod factor, 0)

ROUND() function example:
ROUND(1 / (1 + Haggling Rank 1), 2) = ROUND(1 / 1.1, 2)
= ROUND(0.90909, 2)
= 0.91
ROUND(1 / (1 + Haggling Rank 3), 2) = ROUND(1 / 1.2, 2)
= ROUND(0.83333, 2)
= 0.83
ROUND(1 / (1 + Haggling Rank 5), 2) = ROUND(1 / 1.3, 2)
= ROUND(0.76923, 2)
= 0.77

I'm not sure if price is affected by speech level in general, but you can get equipment which is equivalent to the perks for speech (or compound upon) to make prices favour you more. I personally have put zero perks in to speech (at level 35) because money soon becomes plentiful if you follow the right quest lines.

In other words, you need to find your money making scheme(s) if you want to push out more then just sales from loot. Radiant quests are a good course of money for example, particularly Thieves Guild quests (Numbers Job) which usually require fast travel, go in to building and find the right place, travel back and that's 300 gold.

Here's a great app which calculates the most profitable potions to make, plug in your ingredients and then make the potions until you run out of the top items, remove them from the tickboxes and have it recalculate your next best. This allows you to convert otherwise useless items in to much better values, you can even buy out an entire potion dealers ingredients and then use their own table to create potions and sell back at a higher price, though the best application if you don't wish to level Alchemy much is to use plundered goods (always buy Giants Toe in particular, crazy high value stuff can be made with it). Often these potions aren't of much use, but they carry good value.

Another useful money booster is using soul gems and enchantments to boost the value of jewellery which you can smith, or random items you don't want. Waste lower level gems enchanting them and you can quickly boost the value massively, then use a high level gem (buy one filled if need be) to make a soul trapping weapon which you can set to the 1 second to trap as the second resets with each hit, aka they have to die within 1 second of you hitting them, everything you kill yourself in other words. Requires learning enchantments though by disenchanting weapons you find, and buying alot of empty gems but it comes good in the end.

Basically use the above 2 methods to boost the value of your plunder so you can keep going about your usual business and not be boosting a single job. Also a wife earns you 100 gold per day whilst at home for even more goodness. I'm currently completely self sustaining financially now, creating iron daggers and rings then enchanting them with the masses of soul gems I've procured so I can max out enchanting and get some tidy gear and gold in the process.

Just started playing this again, I know I know, I've been busy playing BF3 and FORZA 4.

I'm not far at all, I just killed my first dragon and I'm heading to talk to the greybeards.

Even tho I haven't played very much, this is one hell of a game. So much to learn it hurts my head lol

I'm over 50 hours in at level 35+ and I've not gone to the Greybeards yet, there's so much other stuff to do!

Ha! I'm Level 38! Adept Difficulty?

I have to check my save/General Stats to see how many hours I put in the game.

It looks they can get you more powerful shouts?

Kinda.

The Greybeards will only upgrade your Unrelenting Force to its last word, give you one part of Whirlwind Sprint, and Clear Skies. There's also Dragonrend but they don't actually directly teach you. I could be wrong though, but seems like they're useless after that.

Ha! I'm Level 38! Adept Difficulty?

I have to check my save/General Stats to see how many hours I put in the game.

I started on Master but I believe I turned it down at least one level, the reason being although dungeons and such were completely manageable when a random creature would one shot me blocking my way on a quest and with only a useless longbow as an archer build to fight it I got a little fed up. It's taken me a while to work on any skills outside of my 2 primary (sneak and archery) so I'm only really kicking in to gear again now but that's part of the beauty of Skyrim, you can take it at your own pace.

I started on Master but I believe I turned it down at least one level, the reason being although dungeons and such were completely manageable when a random creature would one shot me blocking my way on a quest and with only a useless longbow as an archer build to fight it I got a little fed up. It's taken me a while to work on any skills outside of my 2 primary (sneak and archery) so I'm only really kicking in to gear again now but that's part of the beauty of Skyrim, you can take it at your own pace.

I used strategies here and there to eliminate the hardest enemies. Like when I was doing the Thieves Guild quest I sneaked the entire way through a cavern to a target, picking off Bandits one by one, from Plunderers to Marauders. My partner Erandur served as a neat distraction to kill them.

For me personally I don't like playing RPGs without a partner. I had Erandur for +10 levels now. Sure he makes things a bit easier but at the same time interesting and funner. He is my two-handed, magic-oriented pack mule :3 I love is comments as well, like he complains how Windhelm is so cold. Whenever he dies though I always reload from my last save.

Question: I'm 100% new to this and all other elder scrolls games. Should I buy that strategy guide?

Save yourself the money and look it up online. I never owned a strategy guide before but online info is far more better. Here's one site that helped me drastically. But if you prefer information in a book, then go ahead :)

Has anyone ever done the Pelagius the Mad quest? It's quite funny & very original. I did it just now & got the Wabbajack.

Technicolors
Has anyone ever done the Pelagius the Mad quest? It's quite funny & very original. I did it just now & got the Wabbajack.

Just did it again tonight (Got the game on PS3 for Christmas), absolutely wonderful, and it had my family cracking up even though they have no previous experience with Elder Scrolls lore.

I used strategies here and there to eliminate the hardest enemies. Like when I was doing the Thieves Guild quest I sneaked the entire way through a cavern to a target, picking off Bandits one by one, from Plunderers to Marauders. My partner Erandur served as a neat distraction to kill them.

For me personally I don't like playing RPGs without a partner. I had Erandur for +10 levels now. Sure he makes things a bit easier but at the same time interesting and funner. He is my two-handed, magic-oriented pack mule :3 I love is comments as well, like he complains how Windhelm is so cold. Whenever he dies though I always reload from my last save.

Now I could certainly take on these enemies no problem, it was just that initial thrown in at the deep end feeling because of the open world nature I seemed to have terrible luck with high powered creatures almost immediately after being left on my own and there's no indication of 'you shouldn't be here yet' until it's to late.

It's just one of those games where sometimes you're thrown in to situations where you will get damaged, like an ice trap which 2 shotted me at mid 20s and I didn't even know what it was, that doesn't seem worth the difficulty to me seeing as I still stealth one shot my way in most dungeons on master or not. That's why I bought Dark Souls which provides a challenge and you know is technically possible to complete without levelling up as you know when you get hit it's your own fault 99% of the time, it's harder than Skyrim on any setting but also a bit more fair when you think about your deaths.

Moving on, followers annoy me because of those little moments where they don't something completely stupid like block your path, or continuing to draw attention when you want to move away to change position. Moreso I found myself relying on them to soak up damage far to often if and when I got detected which I didn't particularly enjoy doing. They definitely have some big perks though, the carry capacity (infinite?) being top of the list, I may bring out my wife (Aela The Huntress) for a few quests soon to see if a bow follower will be more suited. She did give me 'free' training after all for 5 or so skill levels.

^^^^

I get lots of sudden kills and attacks as well. Like a Falmer instantly killed me with a bow and arrow from afar (sneak attack?). Then there's the Ice Spikes, which are annoying to my character build. But I try to be completely aware and take down each one very carefully.

Erandur serves a bit of a liability sometimes. He gets in the way in tight spaces, so I occasionally whack him instead. I also have to heal him from time to time with Healing Hands. Besides that, we get along very well. I made him specialize in Two-Handed with his oriented skills (I have him use Wuthraad, strong bows, nice Ebony Armor, etc). After giving him the Ebony Armor he practically never faints.

Same here, started on master but turned it down a notch to avoid the one-shot kills most enemies were getting on me. Once you get up in levels though, the game gets so easy it's almost boring. After about level 35-40 there is really no challenge even on master level. I'm a level 53 dark elf and only carry a bow and a dagger, I don't wear any armour so I have to avoid enemies with powerful weapons. I mainly use my bow, especially outside, inside I try to use my dagger with soul trap on it to keep my soul gems full. If I sneek attack, I can one shot amost anything with the dagger, if it doesn't fully kill it, I hit it with a fire destruction spell to finish it off. The only things I really avoid are close fights with giants (one shot of his hammer with no armour is instant death), and letting a dragon pick me up in his mouth (unless a dragon picks me up, I can just stand there and fire arrows into him until he dies).

At this point, I'm about to just start a new game, once the challenge is gone it's just no much fun running around looking for something to do.

Finally got the stuff together to craft the Deadric Armour.

Last edited:
^^^

What is your Armor Rating?

Defeating the Dragon Priests are one of the funnest to do in Skyrim. They are challenging but the intensity makes it really exciting. Sometimes I don't even care about the masks. Imagine all 8 of them at once :drool:

^^^

What is your Armor Rating?

Defeating the Dragon Priests are one of the funnest to do in Skyrim. They are challenging but the intensity makes it really exciting. Sometimes I don't even care about the masks. Imagine all 8 of them at once :drool:

I havent got all the armour perks yet but at the moment without a shield it's at 380 or just above. Plus I've read if you skill up in enchanting then you can make them 100% more effective, this could be just the sword though. I just need the shield and bow to round out the full kaboodle.

I havent got all the armour perks yet but at the moment without a shield it's at 380 or just above. Plus I've read if you skill up in enchanting then you can make them 100% more effective, this could be just the sword though. I just need the shield and bow to round out the full kaboodle.

It is everything, I now use a 275 power Ebony bow (with soul trap) and I have a 280+ Daedric bow also but it can be applied to armour to (I have boosted archery enhancements with only a couple of perks and 70 enchanting I'm getting +34% from each piece). You could do the same for all enchantments, combining alchemy to create fortify alchemy enchanted gear then make a fortify enchanting potion or 2, then make fortify alchemy gear using the potion and rinse and repeat then create a fortify smithing potion (I can only make +45% smithing potion and +20% ish x4 pieces of apparel, but it's a huge boost total with another set of armor to boost the weapon, once I max out Enchanting and Alchemy I can make uber gear).

@Boshunter, pretty much at that point now, I've yet to use Daggers though but I really want to (I've not used a one handed weapon more than once so far :lol:). First I'll need to get the 15x dagger damage though but I have priorities to do first instead of that.

Wow, 275 for a bow... I've got a long way to go :lol:

Only weapon I use, I've done the alchemy enchant trick at 70s for both to see me through (easily) til I max them both because once you enchant gear you can't increase the power of the enchantment (note you can upgrade a weapon further, even at legendary, if you use smithing gear and potions to above the legendary rating, I think without archery enhancements from apparel the bow is around 150/60, though I have all the damage increasing perks for bows). The frightening thing with the bow is it's 275 x 3 for a sneak attack with the sneak perk for bows, pretty much most things die in one shot. I'm using my OP bows to capture souls primarily, the main reason I'm working on this trick is so late on I can use the gear I like the look of most (nightingale armour and bow perhaps) and it still be very effective.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but patch 1.4 is on its way soon. It's suggested that it is going to fix the lag that some/many/most PS3 owners are experiencing.

Here's hoping 👍

Only weapon I use, I've done the alchemy enchant trick at 70s for both to see me through (easily) til I max them both because once you enchant gear you can't increase the power of the enchantment (note you can upgrade a weapon further, even at legendary, if you use smithing gear and potions to above the legendary rating, I think without archery enhancements from apparel the bow is around 150/60, though I have all the damage increasing perks for bows). The frightening thing with the bow is it's 275 x 3 for a sneak attack with the sneak perk for bows, pretty much most things die in one shot. I'm using my OP bows to capture souls primarily, the main reason I'm working on this trick is so late on I can use the gear I like the look of most (nightingale armour and bow perhaps) and it still be very effective.
Thanks for the advice, didn't know that you could do that. Need to get my smithing up, already working with daggers to get to level 60.

Back