The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,807 comments
11402713_876067119133560_8469933318416108039_n.jpg

^ Since this is TGAT, if Asuka is here...nothing matters. lol

;)

Where's One-Punch Man?

After completing the new 500PP seasonal event in GT6 on an S2000, I remembered what Aika-san said.
o141.jpg

And she didn't even use a VTEC joke, go figure. Oh, Overrev!, you are such a curiously entertaining read... It's more or less Initial D with added girl drama (that's not an insult for me, mind you, unless it comes from Cano. Just kidding, just kidding. :lol:).

Including the Railgun. Lost by a handshake too.

B b buuut!

Okay, you got me there.

Still though, she had her moments. Falling through the sky to destroy a helicopter, upside down?

Just been watching Kill La Kill and.... I'm finding it pretty good fun mainly due to the fact that its pretty overblown. Only issue is, not a lot of backstory is being provided, but guessing I just need to watch more episodes. Only seen the first 5 so far.

Anyone has any suggestions for similar ones or a different style that has good comedy and some irrelevant situations to it?

Just been watching Kill La Kill and.... I'm finding it pretty good fun mainly due to the fact that its pretty overblown. Only issue is, not a lot of backstory is being provided, but guessing I just need to watch more episodes. Only seen the first 5 so far.

Anyone has any suggestions for similar ones or a different style that has good comedy and some irrelevant situations to it?

Don't worry - you'll get the hang of it very quickly

Gurren Lagann springs to mind. Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu is another good one though you might want to look at its sister show for some background on the characters. Nichijou from Kyoani is another good one too

A Certain Scientific Railgun for sure.

I haven't seen it yet but FLCL.

Waiting for a chap named Roger to reply to that...

And she didn't even use a VTEC joke, go figure. Oh, Overrev!, you are such a curiously entertaining read...
Eh, Over Rev! could be so cool anime if it was adapted... I heard there was an OVA, but can't find it anywhere...

Poor Touru almost got his pants wet but
won the race against the M3 in his Honda City
This was my favourite battle :lol:

Gurren Lagann's the closest thing you'll get to Kill La Kill, unsurprisingly. See also Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt by the same people, if you're feeling really immature. FLCL (by some of the same people) if you want an extremely surreal comedy with a big chunk of substance and meaning to it below the surface. Nichijou if you want something zany but lighthearted and sugary. Azumanga Daioh if you want Nichijou with a bit more character depth and realism.

Skip all of them and watch Cowboy Bebop first, then FLCL, then Puella Magi Madoka Magica if you want some more serious storytelling, then Nichijou to contrast Madoka Magica, then Terror in Resonance followed by Gurren Lagann to cap things off, then forget that anime not directed by Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, or Satoshi Kon ever existed.

Eh, Over Rev! could be so cool anime if it was adapted... I heard there was an OVA, but can't find it anywhere...

Poor Touru almost got his pants wet but
won the race against the M3 in his Honda City
This was my favourite battle :lol:

While it would be an interesting idea, I'm not really sure if it could that much different from what Initial D did. All you really see different is the interaction between all the female main characters and such, but other than that, it would more or less the same concept in animation form.

Also:

SVX
Do you mean the live action?

There's a live action version? Now that's curious.

While it would be an interesting idea, I'm not really sure if it could that much different from what Initial D did. All you really see different is the interaction between all the female main characters and such, but other than that, it would more or less the same concept in animation form.

It'd be a whole lot more... steamy, for starters. ;)

SVX
Do you mean the live action?
I know about the live action, but there was also some info about an OVA... Or I think I saw it.

Nah, Over Rev is seriously different from Initial D.

1. Ryouko does not begin as a super-skilled driver like Takumi, she learns driving in the process (even the most basic techniques), and even passes for her driving license during the story.
2. She doesn't win in almost every race like Takumi. Even her mentors, Sawako and Aika, are not so "crazy" or "perfect" racers (Aika, however, seems similar to Ryosuke a bit).
3. Ryouko maintains her AW11 herself, focusing on some intersting details about car's structure, parts, etc.
4. Like in Wangan Midnight, some characters drive import cars (Peugeot 106 Rallye, BMW M3 E36), also features some retro cars (Savanna RX-3, "Daruma" Celica TA22).

Regarding the "girl drama", well I think ID Extra Stages 1 and 2 are more of girl drama than whole Over Rev!.
Besides, I found OR being a bit of comedy (remember Danmaru "The Brown Bullet", the fuss about the "Supersonic Beautiful Girl" and the hotel story between Sawako, Takao and Sari :lol:)

Nah, Over Rev is seriously different from Initial D.

1. Ryouko does not begin as a super-skilled driver like Takumi, she learns driving in the process (even the most basic techniques), and even passes for her driving license during the story.
2. She doesn't win in almost every race like Takumi. Even her mentors, Sawako and Aika, are not so "crazy" or "perfect" racers (Aika, however, seems similar to Ryosuke a bit).
3. Ryouko maintains her AW11 herself, focusing on some intersting details about car's structure, parts, etc.
4. Like in Wangan Midnight, some characters drive import cars (Peugeot 106 Rallye, BMW M3 E36), also features some retro cars (Savanna RX-3, "Daruma" Celica TA22).

Regarding the "girl drama", well I think ID Extra Stages 1 and 2 are more of girl drama than whole Over Rev!.
Besides, I found OR being a bit of comedy (remember Danmaru "The Brown Bullet", the fuss about the "Supersonic Beautiful Girl" and the hotel story between Sawako, Takao and Sari :lol:)

Okay, you do have a point, the differences are somewhat more noticeable than what I said they were. But to be fair, Takumi wasn't a super driver either at the beggining of Initial D, we just never saw how he used to drive before the first episode. :lol:

But yeah, there are a few unique things that can distinguish Over Rev from Initial D. Still, would they work in an anime environment? Only if the execution by the studio, which would be responsible for the adaptation, would not be mediocre...

You indeed need to watch more episodes, because it gets quite brilliant later on. I wasn't expecting a carp about it when I watched it, but I ended up being properly blown away by it 👍 and take this from whom it comes.

You indeed need to watch more episodes, because it gets quite brilliant later on. I wasn't expecting a carp about it when I watched it, but I ended up being properly blown away by it 👍 and take this from whom it comes.

I agree: I also thought it was another fanservice-laden show without much of a plot, but then I watched the first episode... I was totally blown away by its awesomeness. Can't say that I disliked Kill la Kill, in fact, I loved it from start to end. Not for nothing I have my favorite KLK character - Aikuro - as my profile pic!

Last edited:
I agree: I also thought it was another fanservice-laden show without much of a plot, but then I watched the first episode... I was totally blown away by its awesomeness. Can't say that I disliked Kill la Kill, in fact, I loved it from start to end.

You were blown away the first episode? Dude what the hell. I had to get to like episode 15 to become really interested in it. Mind, it was never boring to watch due to the absolutely crazy nature of the show and how awesome it looks most of the time, but I was positively convinced it wasn't gonna go anywhere.

Then all of a sudden OMFGWTF: The anime, happened.

Man I stop checking this thread for 3 days because of Forza 4 and school work and then 3 pages pass by.
How the hell did Oreki even make that list?
Looks like Tumblr made it, really. Not surprised.
Bruh.
There's not too much super-duper deep stuph in KLK but it's one of the better works out there. I realized that the amount of showing skin in the anime is actually utilized as a driver of conflict. Classy, right?

Back